Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rah! posted:

the air quality here in Oakland has been in the 200-350 range since noon

most people don't have masks

I love seeing people outside smoking cigarettes as ash casually rains down like what the gently caress people are you insane

https://waqi.info

Chico air quality is 831.
Holy crap thats like 3 beijings in one breath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

LeoMarr posted:

I love seeing people outside smoking cigarettes as ash casually rains down like what the gently caress people are you insane

yeah this poo poo is crazy

:eyepop:

i'm having some slight trouble breathing indoors and its only 300 or so here

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

My bad, I just checked and the AQI is actually between 600 and 700 right now. There must come a point where you can no longer turn people away from shelters that are at capacity the same way you can't lock a freezing person out in a blizzard.

Edit: I'm in Chico, if anyone was wondering.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 10, 2018

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tacier posted:

My bad, I just checked and the AQI is actually between 600 and 700 right now

:piss:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I had plans for the weekend, but I canceled everything and hid inside. My job forced me to spend way too much time outside during last year's inferno, and even with a mask, I felt miserable by the end it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm a good fifty miles away from any of the fires (I can still smell 'em pretty good) but I'm glad I changed the air filters at my place before the fire, and I'm glad I have spares.

Also: Even though we changed the thread title, can we still tell Dianne Feinstein to eat poo poo?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 10, 2018

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Necroskowitz posted:

That's an unlisted one for people that donated to his Patreon. Please don't take donoteat's money. He needs that to fund future school trips to Cambodia.
Donoteat himself posted that video before, though:

donoteat posted:

sorry i disappeared for a bit guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU

(well i said they'd be easy to pirate :pirate:)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This fire poo poo is gonna be the jacket cover for future documentaries about the millennial generation. Entire cities being wiped off the map, their ashes choking other cities, and we can’t even get rid of Confederate flag defending anachronism Diane Feinstein. gently caress.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

dont be mean to me posted:

Also: Even though we changed the thread title, can we still tell Dianne Feinstein to eat poo poo?

We must respect the office of Senator!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1061169345806495745

jfc

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Feinstein won burn down the state

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Why don't you water the forests more????

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

no tragedy he won't capitalize on to withhold federal funding

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Tacier posted:

My bad, I just checked and the AQI is actually between 600 and 700 right now. There must come a point where you can no longer turn people away from shelters that are at capacity the same way you can't lock a freezing person out in a blizzard.

Edit: I'm in Chico, if anyone was wondering.

Chico born, Sacramento now. I grew up in Butte Creek Canyon. My parents' house is likely burnt up. They're staying with me now. Smoke's bad down here too.

Stay safe and stuff.

Chico DSA is doing a donation drive for the victims.

https://twitter.com/DSASac/status/1061284341425164289

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

Feinstein won burn down the state

Stop making me agree with you, thanks. :v:

Related: I came into work on a Saturday just so I can breathe. The last fire's smoke didn't do much to me, but I'm allergic as gently caress to whatever's in it this time around

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Illuminado posted:

Chico born, Sacramento now. I grew up in Butte Creek Canyon. My parents' house is likely burnt up. They're staying with me now. Smoke's bad down here too.

Stay safe and stuff.

Chico DSA is doing a donation drive for the victims.

https://twitter.com/DSASac/status/1061284341425164289

DSA SF is doing a donation drive and bringing supplies up to Chico DSA as well.

https://twitter.com/DSA_SF/status/1061341314489282560

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Malibu is on fire too but the smoke is blowing out mainly towards the ocean

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FCKGW posted:

Malibu is on fire too but the smoke is blowing out mainly towards the ocean

This is the Democrats' fault because they're contesting those elections

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
In non-hell news, it looks like the Dems may totally shut out the GOP in ....Orange County?

The OC is good now I guess.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This is the Democrats' fault because they're contesting those elections

Literally what people are saying unironically in the comments section of Fox News.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I have never made a better impulse purchase in my life that buying an air purifier on Wednesday. Got to use that way sooner than I was expecting

Stay safe everyone, my mom is freaking out about the Woolsey fire, though I think they're gonna have some warning before it gets to Encino

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

themrguy posted:

In non-hell news, it looks like the Dems may totally shut out the GOP in ....Orange County?

The OC is good now I guess.

Only in terms of federal congressional districts. County Board of Supervisors is still all Republican unless the vote counting can flip that contest.

Almost all of the city councils are heavily republican, particularly in toll road country, and right now it’s looking like Disney shill Harry Sidhu is going to be Anaheim mayor.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Please caligoons of the north get a mask for yourself
n95 or n100 especially if you already have asthma. Put a loving mask on your dog too

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 11, 2018

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

LeoMarr posted:

Roseville is at 412 right now, which appears to be like 100 higher than anywhere not actively on fire. Stupid Sacramento valley catches all the worst air and funnels it here. I woke up thinking that fall had finally arrived, because it was the first foggy day... but no, all smoke. My eyes are burning, but I was also cutting onions a bit ago, so it's hard to say which is more responsible. I think I'd rather not know right now.

Checking up with my extended family, there were two families who had houses in Paradise. Confirmed gone. One of them ran shop customizing and repairing cars, so they're out a home and a job. They're all currently staying with another relative whose house burned down last year, he just got the go-ahead to move into the rebuilt house three days ago.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm looking at yesterday's preliminary results from Contra Costa County, and it looks like we may have finally unseated my perennial Republican state assembly member, Catherine Baker. She's relatively moderate and usually gets a ton of bi-partisan support, including endorsements from all the local papers. But right now she is down by a little under 500 votes. Hopefully her opponents' lead holds!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If sizable towns start getting torched every year, maybe something will finally happen to deal with this problem. Sure, we can't stop climate change, but I expect many of the millionaires living in Malibu will be much more interesting in helping get PG&E off their rear end.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
with how blue AD16 is in presidential elections the local Dems have been pretty loving terrible at unseating baker

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

If sizable towns start getting torched every year, maybe something will finally happen to deal with this problem. Sure, we can't stop climate change, but I expect many of the millionaires living in Malibu will be much more interesting in helping get PG&E off their rear end.

More likely than PG&E fixing it is PG&E declaring bankruptcy over it. They don't have the money to actually to make things safe and CPUC rightly is refusing to let them shift all the costs onto customers. Instead of spending money they gave it away as profits and now they don't have the money and the problems never got fixed.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

with how blue AD16 is in presidential elections the local Dems have been pretty loving terrible at unseating baker

that area is historically red, especially given danville/alamo/blackhawk and pleasanton which have all voted republican presidentially within this past millennium. there's a reason richard pombo's old hilariously hideously gerrymandered district included the not-stockton parts of san joaquin county and the tri-valley sans lawrence livermore national laboratory

it doesn't surprise me terribly that a republican could win there

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

PG&E doesn't cover anything south of Santa Barbara, it's all SCE territory.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
malibu should grovel to the city of LA and get in on the LADWP action imo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

More likely than PG&E fixing it is PG&E declaring bankruptcy over it. They don't have the money to actually to make things safe and CPUC rightly is refusing to let them shift all the costs onto customers. Instead of spending money they gave it away as profits and now they don't have the money and the problems never got fixed.

I hope PG&E declares bankruptcy and the state buys all their assets and takes over

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Donoteat himself posted that video before, though:

Whoops, that's my fault for not checking the Cities: Skylines thread.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trabisnikof posted:

Pg&e has come out to my apartment neiguborhood and cut trees on one side of the road and left the other side of the road laden with powerlines gracefully runnung through lines of trees. Or cuts 1 or 2 and leaves. But what happens when pge crumbles?i mean the lawsuits are gonna keep piling in. Paradise customers will sue once the dust begins to settle

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I hope PG&E declares bankruptcy and the state buys all their assets and takes over

PG&E won’t go down without a fight, but they absolutely deserve it and have been siphoning money from Northern California residents for a long time by illegally co-opting San Francisco’s publicly funded Hetch Hetchy power infrastructure and selling the city’s own energy back to them at inflated rates.

More info for those interested in how evil they are: http://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=The_Hetch_Hetchy_Story,_Part_II:_PG%26E_and_the_Raker_Act

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Remember when PG&E blew up San Bruno? And we didn't completely dismantle them in the aftermath? lol

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Remember when PG&E blew up San Bruno? And we didn't completely dismantle them in the aftermath? lol

"On January 13, 2012, an independent audit from the State of California issued a report stating that PG&E had illegally diverted over $100 million from a fund used for safety operations, and instead used it for executive compensation and bonuses."

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

VikingofRock posted:

I'm looking at yesterday's preliminary results from Contra Costa County, and it looks like we may have finally unseated my perennial Republican state assembly member, Catherine Baker. She's relatively moderate and usually gets a ton of bi-partisan support, including endorsements from all the local papers. But right now she is down by a little under 500 votes. Hopefully her opponents' lead holds!
Thanks for posting this, I hadn't looked at results updates and so the last I saw was Baker winning by a hair. Here's to Bauer-Kahan retaining the lead!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

About that:

"Mercury News - Brown signs wildfire safety bill blasted as PG&E bailout posted:

The newly signed bill, SB 901, obliges the powerful state Public Utilities Commission to determine whether a utility can recover its costs and expenses arising from a destructive fire that occurred in 2017. This narrowly worded provision would include the Wine Country firestorms, a number of which have been deemed to be caused by PG&E equipment.

When the PUC allows a utility, such as PG&E, to recover its costs, that typically is enabled through higher monthly power bills for consumers.

Among other key provisions in SB 901: protection for past and future fire victims; upgrades to electricity grid safety; establishing past and future wildfire-related financial responsibilities for PG&E and other power companies; ensuring that the money burdens don’t shove PG&E and other power companies into bankruptcy; and protecting utility company employees.

State fire investigators have determined that PG&E equipment caused 16 wildfires last fall, including 12 of the deadly North Bay infernos. Of the 16 fire incidents, state investigators have alleged that PG&E violated laws requiring proper maintenance in 11 instances.

Toney of TURN noted the pressure on state politicians from some Wall Street investment banks that were concerned unfavorable legislation would have eroded PG&E’s profits and undermined the utility’s stock price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Just nationalize the CA power companies already.