Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This is a dumb argument. You’re basically saying that Hiltler is worse than Stalin because he was more efficient in his ethnic cleansing. They were both monsters that did a genocide. We don’t have to compare bodycounts.

It's not a dumb argument and it's not a matter of efficiency or body count, it's a matter of intent and method. I'm not arguing that Stalin is not bad. I am saying that equivocating the two is literally a classic Nazi talking point used to minimize the war crimes of Nazi Germany. That is kind of important actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

I really don't agree with this, and attempts to equivocate Hitler and Stalin is a Nazi talking point just so you know. Stalin was undoubtedly a lovely dictator who caused the deaths of millions due to his own incompetence, but Hitler organized the systemic industrialized slaughter of millions based on their identity or benign characteristics in a way that Stain has no direct equivalent to. Both sides, in fact, are not equally bad in that example.

Other than, you know, the bourgeoisie. Or the German civilians on the way to Berlin.

I don't doubt that fascists use Stalin to smear communism, because he's was loving terrible, man.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I thought that was stupid too, turns out he just worded it weird. Clay didn't go to congress until 1811.

BUT WHAT HAPPENED THE VERY NEXT YEAR, EH!?!?!?!

How was it worded weird? Henry Clay was absolutely the most influential American politician between the signing of the Constitution and the outbreak of the Civil War.

The War of 1812 happened in large part because of Henry Clay! JFC! Doesn't anyone learn history anymore?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I said they didn't rig anything because it's their own party and of course they're going to try and groom candidates to fall in line. I do care that the two party system is so poo poo but it's the reality we have to deal with. Bernie knew that the system was stacked against him going in but knew that he'd get a lot farther under the DNC umbrella than he'd ever get as an independent.

So you're actually just making a semantic argument about what IS rigging?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah, I'm hoping for both A) infinite investigations into the multitudinous crimes of the administration in general and Donald in particular and B) quixotic passing of good bills to force the Senate to go on record against Medicare for All / living wage / voting rights act mk2 / legal weed

I'll first be very interested in the votes among the Dem House members for all those things. Also, if Pelosi can bring herself to whip her bloc into supporting them so they pass. Doing so would give Dems further strength in 2020.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

Other than, you know, the bourgeoisie. Or the German civilians on the way to Berlin.

I don't doubt that fascists use Stalin to smear communism, because he's was loving terrible, man.

The Soviet Union didn't kill millions of rich people because there weren't that many rich people, and the death of German (and Polish, etc.) civilians was indeed a war crime but again, it was not the industrialized, systemized slaughter that the Holocaust was.

I don't know why you are dismissing the significance of "this is literally a Nazi talking point" but ok.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

It's not a dumb argument and it's not a matter of efficiency or body count, it's a matter of intent and method. I'm not arguing that Stalin is not bad. I am saying that equivocating the two is literally a classic Nazi talking point used to minimize the war crimes of Nazi Germany. That is kind of important actually.

Stalin forcibly relocated ethnic groups, which is by definition genocide. This does not minimize Nazi genocide. Both Nazis and Stalin are scum that I hope are in hell, if it exists.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

"Dems bad" is the left's "but her emails".

No it's not because the Democratic party is indeed pretty loving bad while "but her emails" was a dumb Republican soundbite. Nothing I posted was being "contrarian accelerationist".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Stalin forcibly relocated ethnic groups, which is by definition genocide. This does not minimize Nazi genocide. Both Nazis and Stalin are scum that I hope are in hell, if it exists.

I don't disagree with this statement.

This is going to be a dumb and long derail and I can already feel it so I will concede the argument to you for the sake of the thread.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

How was it worded weird? Henry Clay was absolutely the most influential American politician between the signing of the Constitution and the outbreak of the Civil War.

The War of 1812 happened in large part because of Henry Clay! JFC! Doesn't anyone learn history anymore?

Because your post made it seem like he was elected speaker in 1789, and you must realize how that would make people double-take, as you were saying "he was elected speaker his first year in office."

My 2nd line was a joke.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
You know I was skeptical of the claim that merging threads was horrible.

And then the last bunch of pages happened and lol welllllp. Those people were absolutely goddamn right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't disagree with this statement.

This is going to be a dumb and long derail and I can already feel it so I will concede the argument to you for the sake of the thread.

Holomodor derail averted, you might not be the hero we want, but you're the hero we need right now.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Grape posted:

You know I was skeptical of the claim that merging threads was horrible.

And then the last bunch of pages happened and lol welllllp. Those people were absolutely goddamn right.

Except I was never skeptical.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Your Parents posted:

im pretty sure the restaurant is a massive front for something because no restaurant would be able to survive the losses cheesecake factory seems to operate with as a baseline

Sounds like a job for 4 chan to find the basement.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Because your post made it seem like he was elected speaker in 1789

To people with limited reading comprehension perhaps.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I love the circular argument that its the voters fault we are where we are, never mind that half the country doesn't feel like voting. Better not lift a finger to get them to vote with better campaigns and candidates! Because then we'd just be giving into them :shepface:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Charlz Guybon posted:

To people with limited reading comprehension perhaps.

How about you guys be done with Henry Clay chat.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Stalin was undoubtedly a lovely dictator who caused the deaths of millions due to his own incompetence (emphasis added)

I'm going to push back on this (not sure if you did this on purpose or not LK but I wanted to take the time to make this post) because I've seen a ton of unironic Holodomor denial and Stalin Did Nothing Wrong poo poo on this forum and it's loving disgusting and about as offensive as Holocasut denial.

Stalin definitely intended the Holodomor to happen and he intentionally killed millions not accidentally.

Numerous scholars agree on this.

quote:

Raphael Lemkin in his work "Soviet Genocide in the Ukraine", the last chapter of a monumental History of Genocide, written in the 1950s, applies the concept of genocide to “perhaps the classic example of Soviet genocide, its longest and broadest experiment in Russification—the destruction of the Ukrainian nation,” which he describes as a systematic campaign spanning at least from 1920 to 1946. In his work he speaks of: a) the decimation of the Ukrainian national elites, b) an offensive against churches, priests and hierarchy, the ‘soul’ of Ukraine, c) the starvation of the Ukrainian farming population, and d) its replacement with non-Ukrainian population from the RSFSR as integral components of the same genocidal process. The only dimension not included in Lemkin's analysis was the destruction of the 8,000,000 ethnic Ukrainians living on the eve of the genocide in the Russian Republic (RSFSR).

quote:

Yaroslav Bilinsky, Professor Emeritus of Political Science and International Relations at the University of Delaware, writes in the Journal of Genocide Research (1999) in a review of Holodomor literature—he concludes:

Political usage should not override scholarly logic, especially political usage which is just being established in independent Ukraine, arguably seven years late. My argument, however, is that both logic and political usage in Ukraine point in one direction, that of the terror-famine being genocidal. Stalin hated the Ukrainians, as accepted as a fact by Sakharov, revealed in the telegram to Zatonsky and inferred from his polemics with the Yugoslav communist Semich. Stalin decided to collectivize Soviet agriculture and under the cover of collectivization teach the Ukrainians a bloody lesson. Had it not been for Stalinist hubris and the incorporation of the more nationalistically minded and less physically decimated Western Ukrainians after 1939, the Ukrainian nation might have never recovered from the Stalinist offensive against the main army of the Ukrainian national movement, the peasants.

quote:

American historian James Mace wrote:

For the Ukrainians the famine must be understood as the most terrible part of a consistent policy carried out against them: the destruction of their cultural and spiritual elite which began with the trial of the Union for the Liberation of Ukraine, the destruction of the official Ukrainian wing of the Communist Party, and the destruction of their social basis in the countryside. Against them the famine seems to have been designed as part of a campaign to destroy them as a political factor and as a social organism.

quote:

Professor Michael Ellman of the University of Amsterdam concludes that "Team-Stalin's behaviour in 1930–34 clearly constitutes a crime against humanity (or a series of crimes against humanity) as that is defined in the 1998 Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court".

It is also internationally recognized as a genocide:

quote:

The following countries have recognized the Holodomor as an act of genocide:

Australia
Canada
Colombia
Ecuador
Estonia
Georgia
Hungary
Latvia
Lithuania
Mexico
Paraguay
Peru
Poland
Portugal
Ukraine
United States, and eighteen individual states
Vatican City

quote:

A number of international organizations adopted resolutions recognizing Holodomor as [a] "crime against humanity":

European Parliament
General Assembly of the United Nations
Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe
United Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture

People would be rightfully, very angry and offended, if people suggested the Holocaust was an accident so please everyone stop being Holodomor deniers and trying to weasel your way into it being an accident or a mistake or whatever other tankie nonsense you want to push because you can't bear the idea that communism was and is just as abhorrent as fascism.

edit: and yes, Hitler is far worse than Stalin but they're both pretty loving horrible and no one should defend them in any way.

axeil fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 11, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

axeil posted:

I'm going to push back on this (not sure if you did this on purpose or not LK but I wanted to take the time to make this post) because I've seen a ton of unironic Holodomor denial and Stalin Did Nothing Wrong poo poo on this forum and it's loving disgusting and about as offensive as Holocasut denial.

Stalin definitely intended the Holodomor to happen and he intentionally killed millions not accidentally.

Numerous scholars agree on this.

It is also internationally recognized as a genocide:

People would be rightfully, very angry and offended, if people suggested the Holocaust was an accident so please everyone stop being Holodomor denials and trying to weasel your way into it being an accident or a mistake or whatever other tankie nonsense you want to push because you can't bear the idea that communism was and is just as abhorrent as fascism.

The Ukrainian famine wasn't engineered or caused by Stalin but Stalin did exploit it and exasperate it for his own gain. In that it has more in common with the Irish famine of the 1840s and the Bengal Famine of the 1940s and the British governments hand in that

Which stands in sharp contrast to the holocaust that was fully engineered and perpetrated by the nazis with the definite goal of maximum murder for the sake of murder.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kinda disgusted at all the revisionists attempting to smear the Father of Nations using American propaganda.

Just lol at anyone who’d favor Hitler over Stalin.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Kinda disgusted at all the revisionists attempting to smear the Father of Nations using American propaganda.

Just lol at anyone who’d favor Hitler over Stalin.

clearly the correct vote is Tito

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I genuinely think a thread on this topic would be worth having and reading, but this is not the thread for that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

trieste je nas, etc etc

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I genuinely think a thread on this topic would be worth having and reading, but this is not the thread for that.

One on the Holodomor specifically or genocide in modern history?

Both would probably be interesting but they're going to be depressing as hell. :smith:

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
When I see "Dems are rigging the primaries!" I expect to see to see poo poo like actual ballot box stuffing, or retroactively changing the rules, or poo poo like making the incumbent a checkbox but any challengers be a write in.
"Members of the party, with the support of the party, are fundraising for your opponent because we think he has the best chance of winning, so we'd like you to drop out of the primary, but if not please avoid attacks that could hurt his chances in the general" doesn't come close to that metric.

I don't have the expectation that a party or members of a party will not influence a primary election whatsoever. Running in a primary is basically asking to use the parties reputation, resources and connections to help your election chances.

Continue to vote progressive democrats in during primaries, they haven't made it impossible. Push back against the democratic party if they unfairly influence a primary against a progressive democrat. Don't spread alarmist headlines that discourage people from participating in the political process at all or into voting for the loving Green party.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No vote needed, Tito merely imposes himself as the natural leader we need and we’ll follow him to the end of the world.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

axeil posted:

One on the Holodomor specifically or genocide in modern history?

Probably the Holodomor, since it is the one that is at issue and the most politically charged.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I would vote for Stalin in basically any possible matchup except Pol Pot, kill everyone, Judge Death 2020

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad we can acknowledge that the definition of genocide is much broader than the most extreme examples as produced by the systematic destruction of entire populations under the machinations of Germany's Third Reich. I wonder how scholars would characterize the outcomes of policies as described here?

quote:

which is why we shouldn't just destabilize russia but utterly destroy its ability to do anything. full embargo of its goods, full travel ban on russian passports, seize all assets both liquid and physical held by russian nationals and sever all the internet cables running out of that frigid wasteland.

we can let them out of their self-created prison when putin's gone.

Food for thought.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

THF13 posted:

When I see "Dems are rigging the primaries!" I expect to see to see poo poo like actual ballot box stuffing, or retroactively changing the rules, or poo poo like making the incumbent a checkbox but any challengers be a write in.
"Members of the party, with the support of the party, are fundraising for your opponent because we think he has the best chance of winning, so we'd like you to drop out of the primary, but if not please avoid attacks that could hurt his chances in the general" doesn't come close to that metric.

I don't have the expectation that a party or members of a party will not influence a primary election whatsoever. Running in a primary is basically asking to use the parties reputation, resources and connections to help your election chances.

Continue to vote progressive democrats in during primaries, they haven't made it impossible. Push back against the democratic party if they unfairly influence a primary against a progressive democrat. Don't spread alarmist headlines that discourage people from participating in the political process at all or into voting for the loving Green party.

They aren't picking the candidate they think is most likely to win. They are picking the one that will be most friendly to corporate interests :ssh:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
If it was true, using a memorial service to lay some sly burns on Trump would have been just as poor behaviour as ducking the service due to rain

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

THF13 posted:

We don't know whether they actually DID retroactively change any rules but in a lawsuit over the 2016 primary the DNC's argument was "if we did disobey our own rules that would be our right as a private organization" rather than any form of "we didn't disobey our own rules" so they've certainly worked to make it as hard as possible to think they DIDN'T rig things. (Bernie still wouldn't have won the primary anyway, which is the worst part, they pissed off a bunch of their own base for no reason.)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

THF13 posted:

This entirely depends on how important money is in politics. What does the Democratic Party's support means in terms of percentage points in a close primary, or in terms of the probability of winning the race? There has to be a threshold past which it would make more sense to run as an independent in a left-leaning district and encourage people to treat the Republican Party as a third party by Election Day.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
derail.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 11, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Now I know that the most corrupt fucker in history, an outright nazi who has stoked racial hatred, betrayed the country to Russia, hosed over trans people at lightspeed, thrown kids into camps, and deployed the military to gun down refugees, all while undermining the entirety of civic society and the mores of democracy, is bad, but hear me out; What if the other guys are just as bad? I mean they wouldn't have done any of that poo poo but they also wouldn't have implemented FALGSC by now so, really, they're both equally bad. I sure know that a too-slow improvement in rights for us trans people is exactly as bad as the suicidal terror and plans to flee the country which we got!

A whole loving lot of us don't have the privilege of waiting for a mythical perfect candidate, we have to vote for the ones who at least aren't trying to destroy us, because at least if nothing else, that way we can fight again tomorrow because we're, you know, not loving dead.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Seriously, Axeil, if you're interested, make a thread about this.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 11, 2018

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
No, it's cool, I was about to delete it cause I saw you asked for it to be dropped. My bad.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This strawman about how if you point out that the democrats are pretty bad in their own right you must not vote or vote Republican is pretty novel. Wait no not novel, old and busted is what I meant.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

We don't know whether they actually DID retroactively change any rules but in a lawsuit over the 2016 primary the DNC's argument was "if we did disobey our own rules that would be our right as a private organization" rather than any form of "we didn't disobey our own rules" so they've certainly worked to make it as hard as possible to think they DIDN'T rig things. (Bernie still wouldn't have won the primary anyway, which is the worst part, they pissed off a bunch of their own base for no reason.)

The rigging for HRC talking point needs to die and for one very specific reason.

If the DNC was "rigging" this for Clinton, they would told Bernie to gently caress off when he ran and not allowed him in the primaries because he isn't a Democrat. Like, literally does not affiliate with the party.

As an example of extreme hypocrisy Our Revolution basically does what they accuse the DNC of doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Axetrain posted:

This strawman about how if you point out that the democrats are pretty bad in their own right you must not vote or vote Republican is pretty novel. Wait no not novel, old and busted is what I meant.

Except there are plenty of people here that say that exact thing.