Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

T-man posted:

This is the most white-people thing, I feel like I live in San Fransisco now. When do we go to Disney Land and refuse to ride public transit?

Disney Land is a 6 hour drive from San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

T-man posted:

Your mom's number in the phonebook.

it's actually your mom's cuz it's just an area code or something

she gets around

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, riding the tram from the parking lot. Musk needs to built hyperloop to the front gates.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Waffleman_ posted:

Disney Land is a 6 hour drive from San Francisco.

I wonder if you could actually get there on public transit, not counting Amtrak. I bet not.

Edit to add: You can get as far south as Salinas, but then you have to take either Amtrak or Greyhound.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Nov 11, 2018

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

T-man posted:

This is the most white-people thing, I feel like I live in San Fransisco now. When do we go to Disney Land and refuse to ride public transit?

I think you’re confusing SF for LA

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SFers wouldn't be caught dead patronizing the superior Los Angeles. They'd go to Tahoe or reconnect with their fellow whites in Portland.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/techinsider/status/1062440464035536896

$186 for aluminum rear end legs. No clue if this is an actual kickstarter, but :wtc:

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
That thing has to be a fall hazard, no one who actually physically tried that out would want it

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Great until you forget you retracted your back-legs and you just fall on your arse.

Maybe worth backing, just to see that...

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Bugsy posted:

$186 for aluminum rear end legs. No clue if this is an actual kickstarter, but :wtc:

Great for long meetings and androids who like to go fishing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

What happens when you run across a normal chair you'd like to sit down in?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Take off your pants and sit on it. Just like always.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Bugsy posted:

So, a ridiculous version of a thing that has existed for hundreds of years?

There's got to be a Kickstarter for it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

This strikes me as another mobility aid thing being resold to assholes.

So most of Kickstarter except for doobie and that spoon that was a mobility aid thing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bugsy posted:

How do I use this with my standing desk?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Bugsy posted:

I want to see the guy trying to use in a park and getting stuck in the ground

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
welp

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...FlowTwt_PHBrand

quote:

NJ Couple and Homeless Man in GoFundMe Controversy Accused of Making Up Story, Source Says
Mark D'Amico, Kate McClure and Johnny Bobbitt will face charges including conspiracy and theft by deception, according to the source.

all these idiots had to do was shut the gently caress up and work out the cut amongst themselves

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
"Oh, that's nice mechanical robot hand contraption that draws! But why would you make a promotional video of it if you OMG IT'S ON loving KICKSTART ISN'T?! YOU JUST RUINED THE WHOLE loving WONDER OF IT BY BEING GREEDY rear end in a top hat!"

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication". Here's a video of my series of cogs and levers that does something you can just do with your own hands.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Awful Kickstarters Vol II: Something you can just do with your own hands.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

:fuckoff: "The world's first programmable computer" ... that doesn't compute anything? "1 kilobyte of analog memory" if it's analog how are you measuring it in bytes? Also, that' "memory" is just a pair of cams which have been known about since the ancient Greeks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's a continuous form of Shannon entropy that could possibly give you a figure for memory capacity in bits for an analog system but I doubt they actually did that and probably pulled a number out of their rear end

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Its cool how you have to draw it perfectly in illustrator first,and then have the definitely not copyright infringing Hellboy arm redraw it but much worse

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Apparently Kickstarter doesn't care that the SpyFinder thing is violating their TOS, because it's still up with 7 days to go and $35k pledged, 3.5x its goal. Curiously, it still only has 16 comments, none positive. According to Kicktraq, it had two consecutive days of 7 and 8 new backers, who pledged over $3000 that day, but a day with 12 new backers had only $2300 added. One day had one new backer, and $70 added to the total, which is far too low to get anything, and doesn't cover any tier jumps. Still looks suspicious as hell to me.

The foam-block toothbrush one may hit a million dollars before the campaign ends in 5 days. They still have no actual evidence of its functionality, but a commenter did mention it 'barely had enough friction to pass the plaque test', so they may have had an update about it. To 'counter' claims that the foam obviously didn't reach all the tooth surfaces, they photoshopped the image to make the thing bigger: https://i.imgur.com/nqnjktU.mp4

Another commenter brought up several other very similar 'brush your teeth in x seconds!' projects, all of which have failed to deliver, though they all seem to be the 'what if toothbrush...but big enough for all teeth simultaneously?' style. Not a block of foam they claim conforms perfectly to your teeth.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hope the foam toothbrush thing works. If so, I look forward to buying it at walmart in 10 years. So far none of the miraculous revolutionary tooth cleaners have passed that hurdle though.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Bugsy posted:

I'm certain this this foam icecream sandwich will totally clean your teeth in 6 seconds like promised.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/100951725/unobrush-toothbrushing-reimagined

With the 114 seconds I gain each morning, I can book myself into the dentist to pull my rotting teeth!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

it's real hosed up that at this point indiegogo is probably more trustworthy than kickstarter

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mr.Radar posted:

:fuckoff: "The world's first programmable computer" ... that doesn't compute anything? "1 kilobyte of analog memory" if it's analog how are you measuring it in bytes? Also, that' "memory" is just a pair of cams which have been known about since the ancient Greeks.

Yeah but are you THE ROBOT THE GAMBLER OR THE SLAYER

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

sub supau posted:

it's real hosed up that at this point indiegogo is probably more trustworthy than kickstarter

Not as long as flexible funding is a thing.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

T-man posted:

Yeah but are you THE ROBOT THE GAMBLER OR THE SLAYER

It would be kinda neat if it was just an unadorned mechanism. man those designs are tacky.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SupSuper posted:

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: Something you can just do with your own hands.

That is already the thread title.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Bugsy posted:

I'm certain this this foam icecream sandwich will totally clean your teeth in 6 seconds like promised.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/100951725/unobrush-toothbrushing-reimagined

That thing really looks like something that would make me gag.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

General Emergency posted:

That thing really looks like something that would make me gag.
Really? I think she's pretty cute.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

To those claiming it’s a scam.... what if it is? It’s not exactly high stakes. The Unobrush single is less than half of what I’ve paid for the Phillips Sonicare I use today. If this product never sees the light of day - or if it underperforms - not exactly a great loss.

Kickstarter is about taking a flyer on creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship. Back enough Kickstarter campaigns you will be ripped off, you will be disappointed or underwhelmed. It’s inevitable. But you’ll also get some gems of products and help create companies - or industries - that will be long lasting.

If you can’t afford the gamble (financially or emotionally) don’t participate in crowd funding.

Really, what if something's a scam? Is "money" really worth anything? If someone concocts some obvious bullshit that convinces people to pay them for nothing, isn't the true backer reward the friends we made along the way?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Love to directly subsidize venture capitalism by throwing my money at every crowdfunded idea and hoping I get something in return

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

Love to directly subsidize venture capitalism by throwing my money at every crowdfunded idea and hoping I get something in return

Imagine the return you'd have gotten if instead of a buggy early version of the hardware your pledge for Occulus Rift had gotten you a share of the FB buyout.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Really, what if something's a scam? Is "money" really worth anything? If someone concocts some obvious bullshit that convinces people to pay them for nothing, isn't the true backer reward the friends we made along the way?

I paid like, 20 bucks for a Target Sonicare knockoff like, 3 and a half years ago. Replacement heads are about 15 for 3 or some poo poo. So I've spent about 65 dollars probably with no problems whatsoever so far. Why the hell would you spend 200 on a loving toothbrush?

zinglon's ale
Nov 29, 2004

uh oh

Araenna posted:

a loving toothbrush

Is that sex toy kickstarter knockoff still around?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

zinglon's ale posted:

Is that sex toy kickstarter knockoff still around?

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbhatkcMglQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

no, offbeatr. and it died.