Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nystral posted:

You graduated college and still enlisted?

That's insane...

I did it too, and as an 11B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I see all the "kill nobles" talk and I sorta wish I could hear my brother's subordinates' opinion on him. He's a West Point grad who just made captain this year. I think he's a great guy, smart as hell, and I can tell he's well respected by peers and colleagues (the ones he brings around on leave, at least; they seem like good folks too), but still... I'd like to think there are some exceptions :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Beach Bum posted:

I see all the "kill nobles" talk and I sorta wish I could hear my brother's subordinates' opinion on him. He's a West Point grad who just made captain this year. I think he's a great guy, smart as hell, and I can tell he's well respected by peers and colleagues (the ones he brings around on leave, at least; they seem like good folks too), but still... I'd like to think there are some exceptions :v:

Enlist and find out

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tias posted:

Enlist and find out

I'd prefer not to add more than a minimal amount of content to the thread.

He once said "you'd make a good noncom". I've never figured out whether he was loving with me, if it was the hooah pre-Ranger koolaid he'd been quaffing at the time, or if he legit thinks I'd be happy and fulfilled in the service. I'm too chickenshit to gamble 4 years of the very last of my youth to find out.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 8, 2018

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Lol he said you’d make a good servant

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6yq7LFfeg

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Beach Bum posted:

He once said "you'd make a good noncom".

Those are fighting words

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

He once said "you'd make a good noncom". I've never figured out whether he was loving with me, if it was the hooah pre-Ranger koolaid he'd been quaffing at the time, or if he legit thinks I'd be happy and fulfilled in the service. I'm too chickenshit to gamble 4 years of the very last of my youth to find out.

maybe he meant noncombatant cause you aint got WHAT IT TAKES

j/k lmao at that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

If he went to a service academy and is a white male he's assisted with at least one sexual assault at minimum.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: double.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I knew an Aggie when I was living over in Korea.

He had that soft southern drawl that women loving loooooved, and for the most part he was very chill and laid back. He'd usually be the first to crash when we went out partying, hence his nickname of Bedtime.

But when he was in a partying mood...you could pour liquor down his throat and he would even flinch. It was impressive. A little scary actually.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

He's probably fantasizing about you replacing whatever functional illiterate gave him an unreadable e-mail most recently.

You can be a good guy and a bad leader if you lack empathy for your people. Officers are shielded from a lot of really stupid stuff about the forces (although they have to deal with very different types of stupidity all the time), Like if there's hard standing to stay the night, the officers will get any bunks or cabins while the troops might get mats in an open shelter or are stuck tenting. HQ guys might be giving orders to guys who've been carrying heavy packs through the bush for 4 days while sitting at a table with a hot coffee in their hand. They don't generally have to wait hours to go home because the Q store needs three guys to sort some poo poo out, clean weapons all day, turn wrenches or deal with irate dependents at the front desk. So it can be easy to do things that have a disproportionate effect unless you think carefully about what it means to the people affected.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Or you do what Navy SWOs do and don’t worry, I’m sure the E3s can handle the 120 hour workweek while we jerk each other off in staterooms.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Apropo navy... a young officer in the Royal Norwegian Navy failed his practical (boat) drivers test and got walloped by an oil tanker:

That'll buff right out!

Okay maybe not.

I'm sure the CO will have fun writing the loss/damage report for a USD $500 million frigate, heh.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Looks expensive

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hyggelig.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wibla posted:

Apropo navy... a young officer in the Royal Norwegian Navy failed his practical (boat) drivers test and got walloped by an oil tanker:

That'll buff right out!

Okay maybe not.

I'm sure the CO will have fun writing the loss/damage report for a USD $500 million frigate, heh.

Perkele!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

Perkele!

Any good Forgotten Weapons fan would know that's Finnish!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

chitoryu12 posted:

Any good Forgotten Weapons My Summer Car fan would know that's Finnish!

Fixed that for you.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

Any good Forgotten Weapons fan would know that's Finnish!

gently caress it is too, I got my Scandos mixed up. I will drink some dreadful vodka as penance.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Memento posted:

Perkele!

The right expletive in this instance would be "Faen!"

I've logged god knows how many hours at the helm on one of the sister ships and I have no loving clue how they managed to gently caress up so badly. Heads will roll.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
For added fun, the location of the accident meant that a major oil transport and processing hub (Sture) got shut down for security reasons, forcing some other oil installations to shut down.

So Norways main export gets cut by 25% + for a couple of days.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arban posted:

For added fun, the location of the accident meant that a major oil transport and processing hub (Sture) got shut down for security reasons, forcing some other oil installations to shut down.

So Norways main export gets cut by 25% + for a couple of days.

that's one hell of a fuckup lmao

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's going to be a long few days picking bits of him out of the grill of his immediate superior's car.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

From listening to the radio traffic it sounds like the frigate is married to his course line.
Doesn't want to turn, and when the tanker or VTS asks him to he says he "has a couple of degrees starboard once past... once past... *Static* ..on our starboard".
My semi-educated guess is they wanted to turn on sector change of Ådneset lighthouse (see map below).
The tanker was a bit more west than usual northbound traffic, both because it'd just departed the oil terminal on the west side of the fjord, and because there was other northbound traffic at the same time it had to give way to.

Sounds like the frigate had plotted a course hours before and very much wanted to stick with it.

And then the starboard anchor on SOLA TS peeled open the side (Top picture above) and the bulb probably opened the engineering spaces to the sea for the whole length of the engine room.

Loss of propulsion was instant according to the radio logs, and they immediately chose to beach her with the residual speed I guess. (At least they only reported loss of propulsion, not of steeering, and the beaching has been descripbed as deliberate, but who knows. Could have been dumb luck.)
Frigate speed was 17 kts at impact.

Will be interesting to see the total damage when they get her up, and why the gently caress they chose to go hard port at the last second instead of starboard, or if they even turned at all.

The finest of maps in paint, FF in blue, tanker in red, other traffic in green:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I hosed up bad in the Army but never half a billion dollars and 25% of a country's oil exports for a whole day bad.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That dude owes so many beers he might as well sell himself and his children into slavery to make up for it. Impacting a national economy, jesus.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Caconym posted:

From listening to the radio traffic it sounds like the frigate is married to his course line.

Will be interesting to see the total damage when they get her up, and why the gently caress they chose to go hard port at the last second instead of starboard, or if they even turned at all.

Some details in English

quote:

“This is a huge blow to the Norwegian navy,” said Sebastian Bruns, who heads the Center for Maritime Strategy and Security at the University of Kiel in northern Germany. The loss of the $400 million ship, which appeared likely, leaves the Norwegian Navy with a 20 percent cut to its most advanced class of ship...

Local media reported that the Maltese-flagged tanker Sola TS identified Ingstad and tried to avoid the disaster. The reports also revealed details that show that Ingstad did not have a firm grasp of the surface picture it was sailing into.

The disaster developed quickly, with Ingstad transiting the channel inbound at 17 knots and Sola TS traveling outbound at 7 knots.

Sola TS raised the Ingstad multiple times and was discussing the emerging danger with shore-based Central Station, according to the Norwegian paper Verdens Gang. The responses from Ingstad appear confused, at one point saying that if they altered the course it would take them too close to the shoals, which prompted Sola TS to respond that they had to do something or a collision would be unavoidable.

Contributing to the confusion, the Ingstad appears to have been transiting with its Automatic Identification System switched off. That seems to have delayed recognition by central control and the other ships in the area that Ingstad was inbound and heading into danger, the account in VG seems to indicate.

The AIS being off recalls the collision of the U.S. destroyer Fitzgerald in 2017. Fitzgerald inadvertently crossed an outbound shipping channel with its AIS turned off, which the U.S. Navy found was a contributing factor in the collision.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
the crash looks like it tore off the ship's barcode too, so even if they had made it back into port they'd have no way to scandinavian.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

the crash looks like it tore off the ship's barcode too, so even if they had made it back into port they'd have no way to scandinavian.

gently caress

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Never mind, Russia wrecked its only aircraft carrier, which is almost 40 years old, and can't fix it.

canyoneer posted:

:captainpop:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

canyoneer posted:

god loving dammit

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on why navies around the world can't stop smashing really expensive state of the art ships into supertankers?:wtc:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

canyoneer posted:

Legit smiled thank you :)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

canyoneer posted:

:thurman:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A White Guy posted:

Can anyone give me the lowdown on why navies around the world can't stop smashing really expensive state of the art ships into supertankers?:wtc:

Navy: "I WANNA GO MY WAY FUXK YOU GO AROUND"

Tanker: *literally can't*

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

canyoneer posted:

I simultaneously love you and want you permabanned.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vat are you zinking about?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

A White Guy posted:

It's a lot of failures all lining up at the same time: Someone on the bridge not watching or misinterpreting what they're seeing, someone in combat not seeing the entire radar picture, deciding to not have your most experienced people driving the ship during a high traffic area, things like that and all happening at the same time. Crew fatigue can also play a huge role.

What really surprises me is that the frigate didn't have on its AIS. You'd think NATO ships in their own home country would feel secure doing that considering it was a key failure point for both the Fitzgerald and the McCain collisions last year (according to the report released).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A White Guy posted:

Because How to Avoid Huge Ships is out of print.