Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fatkraken posted:

OTOH, if she is rick, wouldn't it be better for EVERYONE for her to give them money (which she says she'd be OK with!), the couple with the kid to get a motel for a few nights then find a cheap rental place ASAP and the OP to be able to live and study somewhere she feels comfortable? The BF apparently nixed this, my hunch is he's getting a feelgood kick out of feeling helpful and doesn't care if it actually makes sense or is the best course of action.

Depends on how long they need, a couple weeks in a motel can get pretty expensive unless they plan to go really cheap.

If they don’t have a lot of spending money it doesn’t seem more workable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

PancakeTransmission posted:

Pretty sure there's more than a few posts in this thread where that was the exact problem - "only a few weeks" turns into a few months turns into a year. gently caress that. It also sounds like they're moving a distance, and they might not have anyone else in the area (though the OP wouldn't know as they aren't friends).

Also, I've never had any guest clause in a lease here. But as one of the people on the lease, I'd be responsible for any damage they cause, and I'd have no real recourse to get money from them, or get rid of them, if they decide to start squatting.

They're moving from Socal, an expensive area, to Norcal, a more expensive area. Presumably they now have no jobs. While they can find jobs in Norcal, an apartment will be much harder. They will be lucky to find a bedroom to rent for all of them. She is studying for a brutal test. The boyfriend has already shown that he doesn't think much of her by inviting people up without consulting her. His friend and friend's wife have no problem dumping their child on her to care for. Soon she will have a tiny newborn, with no preparations being made for it, and a mother who will need a great deal of help to deal with it.

It is going to be a very tough time for everyone.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Scathach posted:

Everyone is jumping on the OP because she's perceived as having money. God forbid someone with enough money for college and high rent, and an "extra" room, not give her home over to an entire other family for an indefinite amount of time.

Plus GBS hates women or some poo poo yadda yadda

How come they don't hate the mother? She's a woman.

Oh nevermind it's just some stupid poo poo you came up with because you don't have anything useful to say.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

ravenkult posted:

How come they don't hate the mother? She's a woman.

Oh nevermind it's just some stupid poo poo you came up to because you don't have anything useful to say.

She's partying, so she's therefore cool.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

yes, changing a daiper (NAPPY!) means the old one is wet or lovely (or both!) so there's a cleanup process which can be done wrong, then proper drying/powder/lotion or w/e (I don't actually change nappies, can you tell?), then you gotta put the new one on properly. Obviously if you know what you're doing it's just a routine chore, but go in cold and you can gently caress up in about ten different ways and end up with a stinky, cranky kid with a nasty rash.

If it's just wet then it's super easy. Disposable diapers are so absorbent that the skin is already dry by the time that you take it off, so there's no drying procedure. Pediatricians also strongly discourage the use of powder/lotion etc., so nothing to do there. Just take the diaper off, throw it away, put the new diaper on. Not something you'd want a complete stranger to do, but a close family friend sure whatever. The process is really difficult to gently caress up and is designed to be easy enough for any sleep-deprived single parent to figure it out on the first try, so a pre-med student should only take 4-5x as long

But just lol at asking a friend to clean a poopy diaper, I'm assuming that isn't what happened

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've actually put up multiple homeless people in my house so I'm basically Saint Jesus by goon standards, this post is on the money and Blade Runner can get all sanctimonious with my dick in his mouth

HazCat posted:

I think the differing reactions to this story probably depend on people's experiences with random friends/family crashing and how it went.

I know some people who have a wide network of pretty-good friends, and in that group of friends it's very common for people to couch surf for a bit if they're between jobs/locations/roommates. It's normal to stay in one place for 2-3 weeks and then (if things aren't already sorted out), they move on to another friend's place for another 2-3 weeks, and so on. And if this was my only concept of 'what happens if you let people crash at your place', I'd assume everything would work out and the OP is overreacting too.

But.

There are also lots of stories out there where surprise guests turn into a living nightmare, where the friend hosting them starts (after two or three months or longer) intimating that hey maybe it's time to start apartment hunting (or even just job hunting for a start!) and the guest either melts down into hysterics (in which case you have an aggressive squatter who might have a legal right to stay in your residence whether you like it or not), or they cheerfully agree and then do nothing (meaning their eventual ouster will involve the host 'being mean' and kicking them out).

I would immediately run for the hills if a partner of mine pulled a stunt like this, without discussing it with me first and with zero boundaries or expectations set. I wouldn't be there for the day the friends turned up, and I wouldn't be paying any of the $3,000 rent. I'm either in a partnership or I'm not, and if you're bringing your bestie and his wife and their two kids into the house without asking me, I'm seeing that as every man for himself, and I'm bailing.

If you ever actually do this in your life you're basically guaranteed to get the "forced to evict a hostile squatter 'friend' who's now threatening to kill you cause their free ride is over" experience at least once and it's pretty harrowing, those guys can legit ruin your life if they feel like it, so it's pretty obvious where the folks shrieking about how evil other people are for not wanting to get conscripted into running a halfway house in their living room stand

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 12, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

And speaking as a parent the idea that I would ever ask a childless person to change a diaper is laughable, especially considering I wouldn't want someone that isn't an immediate family member or caregiver to see my kid's genitals. My best friend rented a room from me for years and he never changed a single diaper during his stay.

Babysitter Wanted (Childless people need not apply. Closes eyes while changing baby preferred.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Depressio111117 posted:

I am very happy for all the goons who don’t have a bunch of trashy friends and therefore don’t recognize the numerous things that are likely to go wrong here.

And lol at the people saying “how do we know she was drinking when she was out partying all night?!”

"Verily, what doth :females: do at the midnight hour if not drinking and whoring??"

The OP didn't say that she was partying all night you goon. She could have been at her baby shower in the middle of the day for all you know lol

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I'm going to die on the "it's not evil to not want the number of people in your home to triple

If the number of people in your home tripled the walls would collapse so I don't blame you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Depressio111117 posted:

I am very happy for all the goons who don’t have a bunch of trashy friends and therefore don’t recognize the numerous things that are likely to go wrong here.

And lol at the people saying “how do we know she was drinking when she was out partying all night?!”

:ssh: They are the trashy friends.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:ssh: They are the trashy friends.

Trashy friends would instinctively understand partying and violent domestic fights, I think we're looking more at the situation of people who don't have friends

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Trashy friends would instinctively understand partying and violent domestic fights, I think we're looking more at the situation of people who don't have friends

They have friends, they definitely have friends! Friends, friends, friendly friends, they have all the friends!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Well yeah they won’t even let their friends crash at their place, would you stay with friends with people like that.

Also explains why their posts are so angry.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

You don't have to keep a person in your home on pain of death it's not like a law, but if your response to "hey my best friend's house burned down and he needs a place to stay" is "lmao gently caress that guy" you're kind of a lovely person

It is okay to be a lovely person, most people are, but a billion goons comig out of the woodwork to try and justify not helping other people is just kinda funny

It honestly feels like the loving "oh so you want to let refugees in, huh???? Well why don't you let them all stay in YOUR house then buddy!!!" Talking point

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Except that is literally the reverse. One party wants to quarter the displaced in their home, the other would be happy to finance any other alternative.

If the immigration debate was “let’s fund refugee resettlement programs “ vs “we have to lodge them with Greg” you’d have accurately captured this discussion

Seriously, is your home festooned with reminders to breathe? Do you have the cognitive capacity to wipe your own rear end? I shudder for any dependents in your care.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

El_Elegante posted:

Except that is literally the reverse. One party wants to quarter the displaced in their home, the other would be happy to finance any other alternative.

If the immigration debate was “let’s fund refugee resettlement programs “ vs “we have to lodge them with Greg” you’d have accurately captured this discussion

Seriously, is your home festooned with reminders to breathe? Do you have the cognitive capacity to wipe your own rear end? I shudder for any dependents in your care.

We've talked about this before my man, she goes on at length about how poor they are so I somehow doubt they're putting together the money to pay rent for them in Southern California, you dumb motherfucker

I realize it was a couple hours ago but try to remember stuff

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Confused at all these people who have never had a friend get pregnant and still just go to parties sober

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

bell jar posted:

Babysitter Wanted (Childless people need not apply. Closes eyes while changing baby preferred.)

Having someone with no kids do poo poo like that is a gamble since most of them will either be too grossed out or gently caress poo poo up. And lol at whoever said you don’t need to dry/clean kids up that piss in disposables since it’s “already dry.” Also I included experienced caregivers in what you quoted.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Confused at all these people who have never had a friend get pregnant and still just go to parties sober

These are the same people who wouldn't even think about housing a friend whose house just burned down

ie they have no friends and don't go to parties (except maybe LAN parties lol)

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

QuarkJets posted:

"Verily, what doth :females: do at the midnight hour if not drinking and whoring??"

The OP didn't say that she was partying all night you goon. She could have been at her baby shower in the middle of the day for all you know lol

I'm a woman you big dork.

And I know women who have had babies and gone to parties without drinking, but not a lot. I also knew a woman who was pregnant and partying. She kept saying "once glass of wine a day is fine!" but she was measuring "glasses" as "bottles."

Anyway it's all fuckin' moot, the boyfriend unilaterally decided to triple the amount of people living in their apartment without consulting her. It's uncool whether or not they are saints.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

You drew an equivalency between sheltering strangers and sheltering friends. That's what you did, regardless of whether or not it's what you intended to do. It's fine if you want to walk that back now but don't blame your poor communication skills on others

If one of my close friends became homeless of course I'd want to shelter them. And of course I'd talk to my partner about that first, I'm not engaging with that pivot you've made because I already agree with it (e.g. he hosed up by not talking to her about it). However the fact that I'm not currently in that situation doesn't mean that I can't praise someone for making that choice, and "well you should house a stranger instead then" is an incomprehensibly stupid thing for you to say

Haha, sure. Death of the author and all that. Put whatever meaning into my words you want. I'm not walking back anything. People are talking smack about what that woman needs to do when they aren't in a place to have to back it up, themselves. That's what I said, once, and you've clung to it ever since, avoiding everything else I said. "I'm not engaging with that pivot." Lol.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

A discussion about what the house ground rules will be, how long they would be staying, what their plans are as far as where they will be going next if they don't find housing in a reasonable period, if this is a violation of their lease, etc. are all perfectly reasonable to expect before inviting someone into your home and it's not unreasonable for her to be put out by the fact none of this occurred.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Having someone with no kids do poo poo like that is a gamble since most of them will either be too grossed out or gently caress poo poo up. And lol at whoever said you don’t need to dry/clean kids up that piss in disposables since it’s “already dry.” Also I included experienced caregivers in what you quoted.

I thought you'd have to dry them off too, but I was surprised to learn that really isn't the case. Maybe it depends on the brand but the Costco kind just wicks away all of the liquid. We never have to deal with diaper rash because they work so well

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I (M/23) farted in my girlfriend's (F/18) face. She's very mad at me and is not letting me have sex with her. Is she overreacting? Should I apologize so I can go back to fulfilling my sexual appetite?

quote:

I was laying in bed with my girlfriend, watching TV hanging out in my basement with her and my buddies were on the couch, we were all drinking beer except my girlfriend and I had to fart. I thought of dutch ovening her. So, I told her that my socks fell off my foot at the end of the bed under the blanket and made her get it for me.

I rip the loudest fart ever that lasted for like 5 seconds, coming out it was pure heat, then I immediately trapped her under the covers so she wouldn't get out. god drat, that smell was horrible (I had a protein shake, tons of beer, and some eggs earlier). She was freaking out in disgust under the covers, inhaling my deadly fumes for a good 45 seconds.

My buddies and I got a good laugh out of it and they had egged me on, but she got so pissed off and slapped me in the face with my socks and called me an “rear end in a top hat” and I was like "U mad?" then she said I won't be getting any that night and she left me. but I don't care at the time because I was laughing my rear end off and I thought it was worth it.

Ever since then she hasn’t let me have sex with her again, I find this very unfair because it was just a prank, and I think it’s pretty messed up and selfish to withhold me from sex when she knows I am deeply horny guy myself. I am a little worried about this, should I apologize?

TL;DR: Farted in my girlfriends face and now she won’t let me have sex with her

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

45 seconds jesus christ was he actually trying to suffocate her?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
what the gently caress is wrong with that shitheel? i hope she severs

edit: actually i hope this is just some fart fetishist's fantasy post or something because i don't want this to have actually happened to anyone

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
r/relationships: Should I apologize so I can go back to fulfilling my sexual appetite?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I (M/23) farted in my girlfriend's (F/18) face. She's very mad at me and is not letting me have sex with her. Is she overreacting? Should I apologize so I can go back to fulfilling my sexual appetite?

She can absolutely find a better fellow 18-year-old to date instead of this pathetic manchild who stopped maturing a decade ago.

Edit: What a piece of work:

quote:

Are you sure that you're 23 and she's 18, and not that other way around

OP posted:

Lol yes, I was born October 16, 1995. I don’t know her birthday

quote:

You don't know her birthday? Lol

OP posted:

Unfortunately no, she turned 18 sometime back in last winter

quote:

How long have you two been together?

OP posted:

Last year Fall, I work at Taco Bell and she started working there when she was 16, we didn’t get together as a couple until September or October I think

23-year-old meets and starts dating an underage coworker at Taco Bell. Real winner.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 12, 2018

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Wahhh me being a smelly rear end in a top hat had actual consequences! Good goddamn I know more mature 10yos.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

13Pandora13 posted:

A discussion about what the house ground rules will be, how long they would be staying, what their plans are as far as where they will be going next if they don't find housing in a reasonable period, if this is a violation of their lease, etc. are all perfectly reasonable to expect before inviting someone into your home and it's not unreasonable for her to be put out by the fact none of this occurred.

Yeah, I’d be uncomfortable with someone being unilaterally invited into my home even if I would have agreed if asked. Checking with the person you live with is kind of important. And sure, the woman here might be able to go work, eat, sleep, whatever, in the school library if she wants (and she’s a med student so that might have been on her radar already), but she might not appreciate the change in her daily routine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I [30s M] don't want my partner's [30s F] addict sibling in our home, ever

quote:

My partner and I have been together 4 years. For complicated reasons, we currently don't live together, but are in the process of resolving that.

I've been terrified of my partner's addict (heroin, going on 10+ years) sibling [30] and how it could impact our relationship or my life ever since I found out. I considered ending the relationship when I found out for this reason but decided to wait and see how things went. I'm very conservative, paranoid, and I like the bubble I live in.

My partner has very little interaction with their sibling and has never let this person into their home because it would be risky. The only interaction my partner has it at another family's member's house during family dinners and has given their sibling a couple rides to/from because the sibling does not own a vehicle. I have met the sibling at these dinners and things were fine, but personally I don't want to be around this type of person.

My partner asked if we had a place together and their sibling had been clean for X years, could they come to family dinners. My answer is no, no matter what. I don't trust them. My standards for when I would trust them are too high and would never occur and even if they did, I still wouldn't trust them. Also, their sibling has stolen from family and step-family before.

The conversation didn't go well. My partner is empathetic, maybe something bad happened as a teen that drove them to drugs. I have no empathy, they dug their grave, they are a loser. I have too much to lose, to steal, to let that person around, in my home, etc. I make $165K, my $250K house is almost paid off, and I live a very comfortable and worry free life. Also, I'm the breadwinner by ~$100K so all the risk lies on me if something were to ever happen.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. A conclusion wasn't made with the conversation but we need to talk about it again, I know. I'm terrified again.

Am I unreasonable?

TL;DR: Terrified partner's addict sibling could ruin my life, even if they got clean, because you never know.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blade Runner posted:

You don't have to keep a person in your home on pain of death it's not like a law, but if your response to "hey my best friend's house burned down and he needs a place to stay" is "lmao gently caress that guy" you're kind of a lovely person

It is okay to be a lovely person, most people are, but a billion goons comig out of the woodwork to try and justify not helping other people is just kinda funny

It honestly feels like the loving "oh so you want to let refugees in, huh???? Well why don't you let them all stay in YOUR house then buddy!!!" Talking point

You coulda ended this whole tedious line of hypothetical slapfighting over imaginary homeless guys with a "yeah, actually I have let my buddies who were living out of doors crash on my couch for a few months and you're still a big fucker", but you can't say that, cause in a nation full of people with not enough you've apparently expertly navigated your life to have never once actually socialized with someone who could use a place to sleep.

like, there is nothing more damning anyone could possibly say of your opinions on how others should treat the needy than that. Sit the gently caress down, dude.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 12, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like the accuse the other of being a friendless goon has run its course at this point.

Otherwise we will be stuck in a loop.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I brought a six year old home one time without checking with my wife first and she was quite justifiably upset with me but we still kept the kid because she wasn't a self absorbed shitass like OP.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

HazCat posted:

I think the differing reactions to this story probably depend on people's experiences with random friends/family crashing and how it went.

I know some people who have a wide network of pretty-good friends, and in that group of friends it's very common for people to couch surf for a bit if they're between jobs/locations/roommates. It's normal to stay in one place for 2-3 weeks and then (if things aren't already sorted out), they move on to another friend's place for another 2-3 weeks, and so on. And if this was my only concept of 'what happens if you let people crash at your place', I'd assume everything would work out and the OP is overreacting too.

But.

There are also lots of stories out there where surprise guests turn into a living nightmare, where the friend hosting them starts (after two or three months or longer) intimating that hey maybe it's time to start apartment hunting (or even just job hunting for a start!) and the guest either melts down into hysterics (in which case you have an aggressive squatter who might have a legal right to stay in your residence whether you like it or not), or they cheerfully agree and then do nothing (meaning their eventual ouster will involve the host 'being mean' and kicking them out).

I would immediately run for the hills if a partner of mine pulled a stunt like this, without discussing it with me first and with zero boundaries or expectations set. I wouldn't be there for the day the friends turned up, and I wouldn't be paying any of the $3,000 rent. I'm either in a partnership or I'm not, and if you're bringing your bestie and his wife and their two kids into the house without asking me, I'm seeing that as every man for himself, and I'm bailing.

This is p much where I'm at.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Fartboy replies keep delivering.

Other Moron posted:

You both sound very immature. Honestly, though, I would apologize (obviously) and be sincere about it - see how she responds. This withholding of sex might have ended long ago if you had

quote:

How does the angry girlfriend sound immature. This guy sounds like a loving retard, and it seems like she is withholding sex because she knows it's something he can't go without for whatever dumb reason. Logical decision on her part.

Other Moron posted:

Well, OP didn't say how long this has been going on...I'd be willing to bet not long though. But either way it sounds like this is just the way he is and she should either accept it and say they should make up or leave, if he is this immature in regards to other things. It was a prank, alcohol was involved (Ik that's no real excuse), and in the grand scheme of things, this alone does not sound like that big of a deal. So she does sound a bit immature.

OP posted:

This happened last Friday night, also thanks for seeing it from my perspective bro!

Other Moron posted:

Np! Ah, so not that long ago - I mean, sure, you hosed up, but you know that. Everyone else here in the comments wants to crucify you, so I figured someone should look at it from multiple angles.

Good luck! Talk to her, sincerely apologize, and don't do something stupid like that again.

:jerkbag:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fartboy replies keep delivering.

:jerkbag:

won't somebody think of the poor farter

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I [30s M] don't want my partner's [30s F] addict sibling in our home, ever

Yeah, hard pass on that poo poo, particularly when they have a history of petty theft from friends and family.

I've been burned by that before.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

You coulda ended this whole tedious line of hypothetical slapfighting over imaginary homeless guys with a "yeah, actually I have let my buddies who were living out of doors crash on my couch for a few months and you're still a big fucker", but you can't say that, cause in a nation full of people with not enough you've apparently expertly navigated your life to have never once actually socialized with someone who could use a place to sleep.

like, there is nothing more damning anyone could possibly say of your opinions on how others should treat the needy than that. Sit the gently caress down, dude.

Speaking of tedious slapfighting, which Burt loves to probe over, this convo is done. Please discuss farts or whatever else you folks do itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

dudeness posted:

r/relationships: Should I apologize so I can go back to fulfilling my sexual appetite?

This actually works really well

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm very conservative, paranoid, and I like the bubble I live in.

This could be the title for a bunch of other threads