Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

i really am looking forward to the next few years of smears against bernie. their main attack is "In neither statement did Sanders indict voters for backing racist candidates,". go down a few more paragraphs, and there is a gillum quote in which he says “I’m not calling Mr. DeSantis a racist, I’m simply saying the racists believe he’s a racist.” so bernie says the same thing (if not slightly more direct) than gillum.

the article also points out that hillary clinton's deplorables speech became a rallying cry for trump supporters because it called them racists, and that calling racist voters racists is politically unwise. why should bernie repeat the mistakes of clinton's campaign?

I want to point out that Gillum is a young black man in politics, he doesn't have the luxury of being loose with his words that an old white man does.

Gillum's quote is weaselly, but as a black person in any "professional" environment our choices when it comes to confronting racism are ignoring it, joking about it, or saying something as gentle as possible as to avoid an entire roomful of people all experiencing white fragility at once which is horrifying and a literal nightmare.

Bernie is an old white guy, he has a lot more freedom and leeway to call DeSantis a racist POS.

That is the point of allies, btw. To use their privilege to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

It's been 18 months... and it's not low on lists of voter priorities, it's low on lists of right wingers and some center-right people.

I want to see Mueller conclude that poo poo, and that's of paramount importance to a lot of people.

Nah my dude regular rear end folks who are working multiple minimum wage jobs to get by give less than half a poo poo about Russia because it has zero impact whatsoever on them scraping to survive

Get out of your lib bubble

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Luckyellow posted:

Planting trees everywhere would help in the long term, but doesn't it takes years to even make a dent? I mean, trees need some time to actually grow.

It's probably easier and more practical to cut our carbon emissions by replacing all coal/natural gas plants with nuclear power plants.

I just hate how everyone immediately go to "WHAT ABOUT FUKUSHIMA??" as if that's the perfect counter.

Anyone who says that lacks enough education about Fukushima to make a statement such as that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There are a couple of places that person could work where that would be reasonable (eg elder care, health care worker, less-so but arguably almost as important, someone involved in the cleanup effort). That said obviously, dollars to dimes that's a 'we need you at gamestop' message or something.

Can say from personal experience that that's waaaaaay too firendly to be from GameStop. :haw:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Replace the election with these old rich motherfuckers doing Battle Royale and the last one left gets spared the guillotine and made god-king*

*for an hour, then they meet Uncle Slicey

can we replace the guillotine with New Jack

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Hes running.

No, really. He is.

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1061823741053857792?s=19

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1061962869376540672

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/bonerhitler/status/1061961495393775617

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

exploded mummy posted:

can we replace the guillotine with New Jack

Natural Born Killaz blares as he rolls onto the Senate floor with a shopping cart full of poo poo he grabbed out of a dumpster (personal fave was the time he had one of those toy lawnmowers with the bubble on top and beat someone with it)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Not pictured: the copious amounts of key marks in the paint.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ballot infections spread via hanging chads

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Nah my dude regular rear end folks who are working multiple minimum wage jobs to get by give less than half a poo poo about Russia because it has zero impact whatsoever on them scraping to survive

Cool, so we can just let that poo poo happen again. Allowing Russians to influence US elections has been bangin' swell for regular rear end folks working multiple minimum wage jobs so far.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

Cool, so we can just let that poo poo happen again. Allowing Russians to influence US elections has been bangin' swell for regular rear end folks working multiple minimum wage jobs so far.

Is this code for the left running another horrible candidate? Like pre-seeding the idea that it's Russia's fault?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Koalas Massacre posted:

Gillum's quote is weaselly, but as a black person in any "professional" environment our choices when it comes to confronting racism are ignoring it, joking about it, or saying something as gentle as possible as to avoid an entire roomful of people all experiencing white fragility at once which is horrifying and a literal nightmare.

Was it considered weaselly? I thought it was a fuckin :master: but I am admittedly WAF (white as gently caress)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I was surprised for a minute and then remembered everyone who runs for president either has a monumental ego or grows one in a hurry.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ballot infections spread via hanging chads

hanging chads is the incel party platform.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Is this code for the left running another horrible candidate? Like pre-seeding the idea that it's Russia's fault?

Hey, know what else wasn't on that ballot of poo poo that voters are concerned about? Gerrymandering.

Guess we should stop talking about how to fix that poo poo, cuz turns out? People don't care.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

How does Russia possibly influencing your politics have "zero impact" on "regular rear end folks"?

I mean you could say that you don't believe they had any actual effect on the results of your elections but that's different to just saying that Russian meddling doesn't effect regular people. Either the Russian meddling worked and it absolutely did gently caress over everyone but the rich or it failed to influence votes and was stopped at that point.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 12, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If dasharezone admin was a real person rather than an exaggerated character, I would vote for that person. Though as an ageless skeleton I'd rather have them on the supreme court

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

Hey, know what else wasn't on that ballot of poo poo that voters are concerned about? Gerrymandering.

Guess we should stop talking about how to fix that poo poo, cuz turns out? People don't care.

Well, I mean a lot of people don't care about that either. But that is an actual tangible thing that has impacted elections and is easy to prove. You can't really compare that to the Russia investigation stuff since even if people did care you have to try and explain how a meme campaign and like 0.0001% of the money spent on politics in this country came from a foreign power, how it's different than every election in history where that has happened or every other foreign power putting money into the 2016 election and how they made Donald Trump illegitimately win.

Gerrymandering can at least be explained in simple graphics but you aren't really going to get people to care about a Pepe Silva tier attack on the Reds.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

That's not what I said, I said it's incredibly low on voter priorities, and it is

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Regarde Aduck posted:

How does Russia possibly influencing your politics have "zero impact" on "regular rear end folks"?

I mean you could say that you don't believe they had any actual effect on the results of your elections but that's different to just saying that Russian meddling doesn't effect regular people. Either the Russian meddling worked and it absolutely did gently caress over everyone but the rich or it failed to influence votes and was stopped at that point.

Because whether or not it turns out the Russians substantively impacted the election or not, I'm still reliant on Medicaid and not making enough money to get by. That isn't going to change regardless of the investigation. Promising to get to the bottom of Russia means nothing to me because it's an abstract thing that is removed from the concerns of my daily life, such as "poo poo I'm almost out of the meds I use to keep my sadbrains under control" and "gently caress do I have rent"

And I'm far from the only one!

Cough also Russia has been a way for the Dems to avoid thinking about anything they did wrong in 2016 cough

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 12, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

"Its a drop in the bucket of all the untoward influence our entire political class is perfectly happy to let continue."

I don't necessarily agree, but under that view of things elections will continue to be unfairly influenced even if one particular bad actor gets dealt with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also in the end russia was only able to influence election because of the environment half a century of right wing media produced. it's a self inflicted wound.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

also in the end russia was only able to influence election because of the environment half a century of right wing media produced. it's a self inflicted wound.

or a century of right wing media produced a you that accept enough of the "it's a fake news witch hunt" to allow you to just kinda accept the president of the united states is in debt to russia and also gets material aid from them and brush it off as "heh, we deserve it"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The counter of course is "if Russia hadn't interfered your life would have improved under Hillary" to which I respond loving lol if you think my life would have improved under the candidate who responded to her own party saying "yes fellow kids fight for fifteen" with "how about twelve"

Mmmmmm love that slow drip change that was never enough to start and is worth even less when it's done. Can't get enough.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

or a century of right wing media produced a you that accept enough of the "it's a fake news witch hunt" to allow you to just kinda accept the president of the united states is in debt to russia and also gets material aid from them and brush it off as "heh, we deserve it"

Go back to pulling your pud about science

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

reignonyourparade posted:

I don't necessarily agree, but under that view of things elections will continue to be unfairly influenced even if one particular bad actor gets dealt with.

Also there is a question of how that "bad actor" gets dealt with considering that Russia isn't going to suddenly disappear (and neither are the other foreign actors influencing our political process). It is symptomatic of a broader issue at hand which is both the polarizing nature of American elections and the relative weakening of American influence.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Because whether or not it turns out the Russians substantively impacted the election or not, I'm still reliant on Medicaid and not making enough money to get by. That isn't going to change regardless of the investigation. Promising to get to the bottom of Russia means nothing to me because it's an abstract thing that is removed from the concerns of my daily life, such as "poo poo I'm almost out of the meds I use to keep my sadbrains under control" and "gently caress do I have rent"

And I'm far from the only one!

Cough also Russia has been a way for the Dems to avoid thinking about anything they did wrong in 2016 cough

I agree with you, and can understand why average Americans aren't concerned with it... because it's being looked into, and it's doesn't really affect our daily lives.

I don't think anyone should confuse it being of low priority with it being unimportant.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Well, I mean a lot of people don't care about that either. But that is an actual tangible thing that has impacted elections and is easy to prove. You can't really compare that to the Russia investigation stuff since even if people did care you have to try and explain how a meme campaign and like 0.0001% of the money spent on politics in this country came from a foreign power, how it's different than every election in history where that has happened or every other foreign power putting money into the 2016 election and how they made Donald Trump illegitimately win.

Gerrymandering can at least be explained in simple graphics but you aren't really going to get people to care about a Pepe Silva tier attack on the Reds.

So Mueller would be Charlie in this analogy?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 12, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

I agree with you, and can understand why average Americans aren't concerned with it... because it's being looked into, and it's doesn't really affect our daily lives.

I don't think anyone should confuse it being of low priority with it being unimportant.

So why are you getting your poo poo in a twist at me

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So why are you getting your poo poo in a twist at me

Because you seem to be on the "it is unimportant" end of this discussion.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Probably the consensus is still going to be the investigation should continue and cyber-security is important, but I don't know if most people are that interested beyond that.

I could see the report coming out and looking bad for Trump, but I have a much harder time seeing it reshape American politics.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

Also there is a question of how that "bad actor" gets dealt with considering that Russia isn't going to suddenly disappear (and neither are the other foreign actors influencing our political process). It is symptomatic of a broader issue at hand which is both the polarizing nature of American elections and the relative weakening of American influence.

Right, our democracy is fuckin' broken. We need greater transparency in political contributions and to reverse citizens united. We need to regulate internet ad-buys of political content like we already do for TV.

Ardennes posted:

Probably the consensus is still going to be the investigation should continue and cyber-security is important, but I don't know if most people are that interested beyond that.

I could see the report coming out and looking bad for Trump, but I have a much harder time seeing it reshape American politics.

We may indeed be too far gone for proof of illicit behavior to sway voters.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The counter of course is "if Russia hadn't interfered your life would have improved under Hillary" to which I respond loving lol if you think my life would have improved under the candidate who responded to her own party saying "yes fellow kids fight for fifteen" with "how about twelve"

Mmmmmm love that slow drip change that was never enough to start and is worth even less when it's done. Can't get enough.

Thankfully we got the candidate whose position sits somewhere around "minimum wage? isn't it too high? we should probably abolish it, creating 10 billion jobs" and "actually let's just reinstitute slavery, but pretend it won't have all the nasty bits" rather than the lovely centrist who foolishly starts with compromise positions, because we would run the risk of actually raising minimum wage. The horror.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Right, our democracy is fuckin' broken. We need greater transparency in political contributions and to reverse citizens united. We need to regulate internet ad-buys of political content like we already do for TV.

I think that is pretty straight-forward (I don't think anyone has a problem with that around here), but at the same time, I don't think it would be enough to fix it especially the issue of radicalization. No one can tell the future, but I seriously wonder what the right is going to do if they do reach that point where they really can't win (the parallel would probably be the 1850s where the various compromises started to break down and it looked like slavery was done in the long-term). Granted, that is more of a long-term consideration (2020 and later obviously).

It isn't a reason to give an inch but to prepare for turbulence.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 12, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chilichimp posted:

Because you seem to be on the "it is unimportant" end of this discussion.

Yeah wild I'm not concerned with a nebulous thing that I can't feel the impact of like I am the much more immediate oppressive forces that make my life miserable

drat dude thats hosed up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

archangelwar posted:

Thankfully we got the candidate whose position sits somewhere around "minimum wage? isn't it too high? we should probably abolish it, creating 10 billion jobs" and "actually let's just reinstitute slavery, but pretend it won't have all the nasty bits" rather than the lovely centrist who foolishly starts with compromise positions, because we would run the risk of actually raising minimum wage. The horror.

My guy if you think we would have raised the minimum wage in a meaningful way that would actually have some impact under Hillary you are stone cold insane

Like you start at a number that right now is insufficient, and then you factor in the slow roll out so we don't hurt businesses, and by the time you're at that number it's got maybe as much purchasing power as the current minimum wage does and nothing has changed and everyone is still poor

drat why didn't I pin my hopes and dreams on the illusion of change

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah wild I'm not concerned with a nebulous thing that I can't feel the impact of like I am the much more immediate oppressive forces that make my life miserable

drat dude thats hosed up

So you're just in here to bring all these swaggering liberals back to earth, huh? These people who are concerned with nebulous poo poo, distant and far removed from themselves. They're such fuckin' lib pansies, I gotta bleed every day, and they're worried about like... fuckin' dark money? Puh-lease.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And twelve isnt better than nothing, because it is nothing. Fifteen is the compromise position, and any further compromise is unacceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I don't understand this poo poo.

I work in management at a retail company. I regularly send people home for panic attacks and poo poo. I gave a guy a week off because his cat died.