Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

feelix posted:

My squat keeps going up even though I only train it once a week and don't do any lower body accessories

I imagine this is because years ago I did Starting Strength and all that work is still paying off

Strength (not muscle) stays with you for a surprisingly long time

I stopped deadlifting for like a month and was just as strong coming back, even if the endurance wasn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah I know, especially lower body strength because you use those muscles to walk

But I'm setting all-time PRs, not just getting back to where I was, and at a lower BW at that

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Japan sent a literal Saiyan to worlds

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqDixHugb7P/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ogy20muxrrwp

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm pretty sure plenty of people make progress squatting 1x a week. It's not weird.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yeah I added the biggest gains to my squat/deadlift when I was only going once a week. Not my bench, though.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
ironically the way you get stronger is to not lift

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Chinatown posted:

ironically the way you get stronger is to not lift

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
ive been deadlifting barefoot for 3 years and last week i decided to wear chucks to see what it was like and did 2 warmup sets and :smuggo: hosed that poo poo off real quick it feels terrible.

i honestly dont know how people think deadlifting in shoes feels nicer than barefoot. no floor connection at all.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Sludge Tank posted:

ive been deadlifting barefoot for 3 years and last week i decided to wear chucks to see what it was like and did 2 warmup sets and :smuggo: hosed that poo poo off real quick it feels terrible.

i honestly dont know how people think deadlifting in shoes feels nicer than barefoot. no floor connection at all.

shut the gently caress up nobody cares

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
eat my rear end

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sludge Tank posted:

I’m gonna tickle your footsies

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
there's literally a video of a 89kg guy snatching 163kg in cross trainers at the world weightlifting championships a few posts up. Nobody gives a poo poo about shoes

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
People should wear whatever works best for them imo.

Anyway, I tried high bar squats with the powerlifts and....I think they were okay?? My heels came up a little but I probably just need to adjust. Definitely able to get much lower and activate my quads much better, and quads are my weak point so I guess I'll run high bars in heels for a couple of cycles. I think my upper back tightness is a little better as well with high bar. Can't load the bar up near as much but whatever. That's what deadlifts are for.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sludge Tank posted:

eat my rear end

best three words i can hear from a girl

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

People should wear whatever works best for them imo.

Anyway, I tried high bar squats with the powerlifts and....I think they were okay?? My heels came up a little but I probably just need to adjust. Definitely able to get much lower and activate my quads much better, and quads are my weak point so I guess I'll run high bars in heels for a couple of cycles. I think my upper back tightness is a little better as well with high bar. Can't load the bar up near as much but whatever. That's what deadlifts are for.

ive been doing heaps mobility work. seeing a separate coach specifically for mobility, shes written me warmup/stretching programs specifically tailored to each strongman block i do. also seeing a physio massage therapist.

the mobility work has been targetting my hips a lot. ive got a really hosed imbalance in my hips that has translated into my whole left side being weaker.

since really working on my hips and stretching abductors (couch stretch, worlds greatest stretch, weighted frog sits etc) ive been able to really open my legs up, spreading my knees as much as i can and consciously being able really sit deep in the hole with an actual upright torso. kind of like those freak asian oly weightlifters. never had the mobility to be able to sit this deep.

prior to this my squat has been basically a Good Morning with a lot of front foot drive and quads. no good. no glute activation at all. ive always just got doms in quads and low back. after last squat sesh all i felt was my glutes on fire. obviously a lot weaker now that im finally after all these years targetting muscles that were never used because i didnt have the mobility to access them

tl;dr do stretches

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
e: gently caress

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 12, 2018

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah, I do a lot of that stuff. As far as before squat warmup in specific, usually the mcgill big 3 which is basically ab activation and glute activation with bird dogs (although I add in one leg hip thrusts and abduction stuff like leg raises or banded walk thingies) and for stretches, usually the rocking frog stretch(this one really owns), leg swings and just squatting down by the squat rack and pulling myself into my hips if that makes sense.

not perfect but I think this set was okay for my first time doing high bar in a long time. It definitely seems to look better than my last few low bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ffAHoFF7Uk

I did keep letting my weight shift forward at the end of the rep though, I'll just have to work on that. Also r/weightroom told me to grab the bar harder with a straight wrist and "bend" it over my back, that sub is generally pretty good so I'll give it a go.

also you quoted yourself dingleberry did you forget to log into your alt account

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 12, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stretching is so important it requires empty quoting.

I'm a big fan of band assisted warmups for my hips like band air squats, clam openers, leg raises, etc. Really gone a long way in opening those dumb things up.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i dont highbar ever and i cant squat so i have no observations or grounds to criticise other than your stance looks very close. how is that on your hips? looks like u have long rear end legs like me too

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It actually felt pretty good on my hips. The only thing I'm concerned about is my knees. They don't give me near the issues they used to, but I can still feel them being stressed a little more than vs low bar. Although maybe fixing the weight shifting forward thing will help solve that little issue.

edit: Forgot to mention, it's really simple but doing "marches" has helped my hips feel pretty good too. Just march around lifting your leg as high as possible.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 12, 2018

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sludge Tank posted:

prior to this my squat has been basically a Good Morning with a lot of front foot drive and quads. no good. no glute activation at all.
How does that even work? A good morning squat is literally you levering the weight up with your rear end because your quads said gently caress it let the back have it.

Maybe better hip mobility allowed for better technique for your leverages.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think he meant his weight shifting forwards rather than hips shifting back which is what weak quads do.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mustached Demon posted:

Stretching is so important it requires empty quoting.

I'm a big fan of band assisted warmups for my hips like band air squats, clam openers, leg raises, etc. Really gone a long way in opening those dumb things up.

I replaced all warmup stretching with a pair of compression tights and things feel better than ever.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It actually felt pretty good on my hips. The only thing I'm concerned about is my knees. They don't give me near the issues they used to, but I can still feel them being stressed a little more than vs low bar. Although maybe fixing the weight shifting forward thing will help solve that little issue.

They're inherently going to be more stressful to your knees than low bar. The only way to "fix" that would be to lean forward and put more on your hips.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
well you know how when you try and get up from sitting down in a chair and yiu kind of throw your weight forward and spring up on the front of your feet, thats kind of an exaggeration of my squat . because i have such long femurs i tend to lean forward a lot to try and keep the lowbar over my foot. because of this hosed thing i then just kind of push the weight up with my back in a sort.of good morning/back extension movement and my quads do the rest of the work. all the load is kind of on the front of my foot. my glutes were doing no work whatsoever and not even firing at all. by the mobility work and being able to open my hips up now and really jam my knees out i can now stay more upright and really activate glutes

it meams im back to babby weights until it all catches up but idc because all i really care about is deadlifting and strongman poo poo anyway squatting is just an accessory for me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yoga is pretty legit for lifting. I used to do it 2x a week and it seriously helped with all my mobility. Not the hippy dippy yoga though. Doing like a power / flow yoga class is a great rest day activity.

Also all the hot women.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

MarcusSA posted:

Yoga is pretty legit for lifting. I used to do it 2x a week and it seriously helped with all my mobility. Not the hippy dippy yoga though. Doing like a power / flow yoga class is a great rest day activity.

Also all the hot women.

This is what I'm starting to do on Sunday afternoon/evenings now that I'm back in shape. The mobility helps, the single women/thirsty moms help more.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Y'all daddy long legs fuckers should consider getting high heel squat shoes

I got the Adidas Leistung 16 IIs (1 inch heel) on sale and hitting depth on high bar and front squats feels a lot better

Try elevating your heels on a plate first I guess so you don't find out you hate a big heel after buying expensive shoes though

I don't think heel height matters so much for low bar ???

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

This is what I'm starting to do on Sunday afternoon/evenings now that I'm back in shape. The mobility helps, the single women/thirsty moms help more.

For real.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
all my injuries have come from yoga :( 30 year old crumbling body...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

all my injuries have come from yoga :( 30 year old crumbling body...

Not trying to be a dick but what the gently caress are you doing in yoga of all things to hurt your self? I'm in my late 30s and did yoga for years and never hurt my self.

Are you sure you were doing it right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Goat yoga can be dangerous they can kick you in the face

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Goat yoga can be dangerous they can kick you in the face

yeah but they are like baby goats.

Also goats are assholes.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Not trying to be a dick but what the gently caress are you doing in yoga of all things to hurt your self? I'm in my late 30s and did yoga for years and never hurt my self.

A local RMT got a lot of yoga peeps referred to her because she worked out of a studio and she got all sorts of people with jacked up hips and shoulders.

A lot of yoga is:
1) stretch
2) stretch more
3) STRETCH MORE
4) I'LL HELP YOU STRETCH MORE

and it turns out there's such a thing as too much flexibility

DDD that squat looks good and maybe 8 RPE?. Couldn't see feet for every rep but unless your heels are coming up, keep on keeping on.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MarcusSA posted:

I stepped wrong during warrior pose and hurt my knee .

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Flipgrip posted:

A local RMT got a lot of yoga peeps referred to her because she worked out of a studio and she got all sorts of people with jacked up hips and shoulders.

A lot of yoga is:
1) stretch
2) stretch more
3) STRETCH MORE
4) I'LL HELP YOU STRETCH MORE

and it turns out there's such a thing as too much flexibility

DDD that squat looks good and maybe 8 RPE?. Couldn't see feet for every rep but unless your heels are coming up, keep on keeping on.

My heels were coming up a little bit at the end of the concentric but I'm pretty sure I just need to practice and get used to the position. And I'm pretty sure it was actually RPE 9 but it's hard to tell especially for a new style of squatting.

Also I hate lovely slippy benches guys. I was at the bad gym today and had a light amrap, 140x12+. I've been practicing staying tight and using leg drive more(beforehand on a weight this light I'd normally just arch a little and not bother since it was easy) and I slid enough to start clanging the hooks at like rep 5 or so. I held the weight at lockout and sort of walked my scapula back down the bench a little, few more reps and clanged it again. I said gently caress it and just did a couple more reps clanging into the hooks and quit at 15. Supposedly a shelf liner solves this problem perfectly so I'll get one at the store if I can remember. I can't do the trick with the bands around the bench because of how the bench attaches to the rest of the rack thing.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Killing Loaf posted:

Y'all daddy long legs fuckers should consider getting high heel squat shoes

I got the Adidas Leistung 16 IIs (1 inch heel) on sale and hitting depth on high bar and front squats feels a lot better

Try elevating your heels on a plate first I guess so you don't find out you hate a big heel after buying expensive shoes though

I don't think heel height matters so much for low bar ???

My powerlifts are only .6" but I guess it's enough. I do hate how fugly they are, I really would like some Romaleos but :eyepop: at the prices last time i looked. Plus I don't even know if I'm gonna stick with high bar yet. Although at some point, I would like to also front squat which they'd be helpful for.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

yeah, I do a lot of that stuff. As far as before squat warmup in specific, usually the mcgill big 3 which is basically ab activation and glute activation with bird dogs (although I add in one leg hip thrusts and abduction stuff like leg raises or banded walk thingies) and for stretches, usually the rocking frog stretch(this one really owns), leg swings and just squatting down by the squat rack and pulling myself into my hips if that makes sense.

not perfect but I think this set was okay for my first time doing high bar in a long time. It definitely seems to look better than my last few low bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ffAHoFF7Uk

I did keep letting my weight shift forward at the end of the rep though, I'll just have to work on that. Also r/weightroom told me to grab the bar harder with a straight wrist and "bend" it over my back, that sub is generally pretty good so I'll give it a go.

also you quoted yourself dingleberry did you forget to log into your alt account

Looks pretty good my advice would be:

- Get tighter with the bar in position, in particular pull your elbows into your body rather than back
- Try and get your knees forward/drive your back into the bar as it looks like your back is taking over from your legs on the last rep

Pretty smooth overall tho, good work

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i had romaleo 2's that were stolen and powerlift .3's that were good. they are marginal improvements for me. i have really good ankle mobility weirdly so dorsiflexion isnt really an issue for me. i seem just as comfortable squatting barefoot

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It's weird, but I always do good on those dorsiflexion tests(I can put my toe about 6 inches away from a wall and touch it with my knee, without my heel coming up) but I can only get my knees so far forward when I squat barefoot/flat shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Just read that Ilya Ilyin withdrew from worlds at the last minute due to a spinal injury

There's like 0% chance that's not code for "I wasn't gonna piss clean", right? It's the same exact poo poo that Klokov and Akkayev did before 2012 OIympics