Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

From what I've read, the new Grinch movie makes the unnecessary change of having him interact with the townspeople a few times before he goes on his burglary spree, as well as some backstory where he had a bad Christmas once.

If anything, I think the idea of a guy sitting alone in a dark room getting angry at people from a distance before actually interacting with them would be more relevant today.

That sounds pretty similar to the Jim carrey version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Animal Crackers is having the absolute worst time trying to release to theaters.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/AnimalCrackersMovie

Every post there is basically "it's not out yet" and it's apparently finished and they're waiting for Byron Allen's contract on the movie to run out. He's promised to release it but hasn't done it for whatever reason.

It's gotten a lot of good reviews but Byron Allen from Entertainment Media is holding it back and the directors are laying all the blame on him.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So this came across my suggested videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pp1UghnYuc

I'm actually kind of shocked that they actually replaced Louis CK. It feels like it's pulling teeth sometimes to get movie studios to recast people that turn out to be lovely

What’s the story behind that casting in the first place? It doesn’t feel like something he’d be gung-ho for. There seems like there’s little crossover potential to bring his fan-base in. He was one of the biggest comedians when it came out, so he couldn’t have been cheap. He doesn’t have a famous bit about pets that I’m aware of. He doesn’t have an especially distinctive voice.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Classic stunt casting, Illumination still has a bit of 'big name voices will get seats' going on that Dreamworks and Disney had learned that it doesn't always work.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

The Grinch could have been better. They really shouldn’t have gone with cumberbatch as the grinch; he does an ok job, but doesn’t add anything. Pharrell Williams as the narrator does all the legwork in the movie (all the monologues that the grinch had in the 70’s adaptation are moved onto him). I also really hate the changes made to his home. He’s got a regular kitchen with cupboards and a spot for Max; the Citizen Kane dining table and the organ room are the only things that feel Grinchy. It’s less miserly and more disgruntled retail employee fed up with “Its November, it’s christmas time, motherfuckre :getin:”, which is actually interesting in a way.

Also they don’t loving do a full rendition of “You’re a mean one Mr.Grinch”. That 30 second clip in the trailer is all you fuckin’ get.

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 10, 2018

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That one from the trailer is pretty rad. I'm a sucker for good covers of that song. Especially ones that don't screw up the timing on the "between the two of you, I'd choose the.... seasick crocodile!" and "I wouldn't touch you with a... 39 and a half foot pole!" You need the pauses there, people! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-kIVZTMPXI

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 11, 2018

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah it’s a good cover, they don’t use the whole thing, which sucks.

Also the animation is great and I love the whoville design work. The present stealing scene is really well done, too!

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 11, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PenguinKnight posted:

Yeah it’s a good cover, they don’t use the whole thing, which sucks.

Also the animation is great and I love the whoville design work. The present stealing scene is really well done, too!

Its astounding. They've got so much time to play with and they don't even put the iconic stuff in.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

IUG posted:

Non-hybrid cars. Just gas guzzling SUVs if I remember right.

Yeah, they were advertising their small SUV, using their Skyactiv technology (offering a modest improvement to fuel economy) to justify the words "Lorax Approved" (while every climate scientist worth a crap was saying that nothing short of abandoning fossil fuels altogether would suffice).

Never mind that in the actual movie, "Lorax Approved" came from the song "How bad can I be?" where it was used to denote falsely advertising eco-friendliness.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...DZsajPcPseUnSNc

Aardman becomes even more awesome by becoming the first major employee owned animation studio.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

That's great. I wish they could've squeaked out another Wallace and Gromit before Peter Sallis died. They're probably some of my favorite animations ever :(

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMazof6RMc

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
i want to work every day in a sterile white room drawing cartoons

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/1061966843919941634

what

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Welp

Barudak
May 7, 2007

can you file a creativity chapter 11?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was the old story about the toys going off to find Bo Peep thrown out with Lasseter?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I dunno, I can see merit in the existential horror of a creature not meant to be given life terrified by the concept of it's own continued existence.

SpoonHead: I don't want to live!
Woody: Don't say that! Don't you die on me!
SpoonHead: I SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DIE! I SHOULDN'T HAVE LIFE TO LOSE!

I dig it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Toy Story 4 is about the right to die and edges on the meta.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was the old story about the toys going off to find Bo Peep thrown out with Lasseter?

Did she run away after Woody gave her an uncomfortably long hug?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQbOZY9W2Q

I'm not entirely sold on the fur effect on Pikachu and lot of the other pokemon, but it feels like this is actually made by people who like Pokemon and not just shallowly cashing in on the name brand.

Also did not expect Deadpool to be voicing Pikachu.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I hope that's the case. I'm already much more interested in the existentialism of that spork being the plot.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

I'm not entirely sold on the fur effect on Pikachu and lot of the other pokemon, but it feels like this is actually made by people who like Pokemon and not just shallowly cashing in on the name brand.

Yeah, after the internet joked about Danny Devito getting the role, I can't get that out of my head. Pikachu looks way better in motion that he does in the thumbnail still. Probably won't go see this, but good on 'em for doing something different.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So looks like Alex Hirsch wrote the script for this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Robindaybird posted:

This is so weird. Like some Pokemon look good and some just don't. Pikachu looks fine with the fur but like Jigglypuff and Psyduck look wack. I don't really understand why they didn't just make them look more cartoony. It wouldn't be any less ridiculous.

All the shots of Greninja looked hype as hell though not gonna lie. At at the very least for the most part they tried to have the Pokemon LOOK like the actual Pokemon, just with weird realistic textures. As opposed to like, re imagining that poo poo into horrid abominations

I'm certainly more excited for this than Toy Story 4

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
For those that are actually angry about how they look: there are literally 18 other pokemon films you could watch.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have never liked or understood Pokemon. Never really wanted to. Every time I've tried something in me just went "no" and I had to stop.

I loved the trailer.

It's like, I don't know, Who Framed Roger Rabbit with Pokemon instead of cartoons.
I loved how the beginning they're talking about the dumb backstory involving wanting to be a Pokemon trainer but not mincing words or admitting it sounds dumb, they are doing this dumb premise and if you think it sounds "unrealistic" then you can just go sit in a corner and miss a good time. This is way, WAY different than most live action adaptations these days where they have to cater to and include the most miserable, unimaginative, and self-serious audience possible.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

This is so weird. Like some Pokemon look good and some just don't. Pikachu looks fine with the fur but like Jigglypuff and Psyduck look wack. I don't really understand why they didn't just make them look more cartoony. It wouldn't be any less ridiculous.

All the shots of Greninja looked hype as hell though not gonna lie. At at the very least for the most part they tried to have the Pokemon LOOK like the actual Pokemon, just with weird realistic textures. As opposed to like, re imagining that poo poo into horrid abominations

given that it's Legendary, I was expecting them to re-design all the pokemon to be more "edgy"

I'm guessing Nintendo wasn't willing to let them go any further than giving them a "gritty" texture pack

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I loved that Detective Pikachu trailer. Funny, while also showing some sincere love for the source material. If the movie manages to keep that tone all the way through it'll be amazing.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Robindaybird posted:

So looks like Alex Hirsch wrote the script for this.

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1062037804010528768

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I loved that Detective Pikachu trailer. Funny, while also showing some sincere love for the source material.

It's weird cause the only thing that DOESN'T feel like it's coming from an actual Pokemon fan place is the weird semi realistic texture choices they've decided to go with. But like everything else feels VERY Pokemon. They even chose not to have them just do roars and poo poo and actually say their names like they're supposed to. It's set in kind of a gritty environment but everything about the trailer felt lighthearted. The various Pokemon all move like they are supposed to. Bulbsaur has kind of a silly hop to his step, Greninja does his move exactly like he does in the games and show, Jigglypuff looks like she mad someone fall asleep while she was singing and got pissed, which is very true to the show.

I'm honestly amazed at the constraint the people making this had to not try and do their own thing with the world. Hopefully the Sonic movie does similar, although I'll a bit more bothered by Sonic having realistic fur than this movie if that ends up being the case

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This trailer has kind of a Who Framed Roger Rabbit vibe, taking the entire premise seriously without it being bleak or winking nonsense

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Robindaybird posted:

This trailer has kind of a Who Framed Roger Rabbit vibe, taking the entire premise seriously without it being bleak or winking nonsense

Pretty much exactly what The HappyTime Murders got wrong

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Toy story has always been about the capitalist nature of the toy industry. Toy Story 1 had the toy craze phenomenon, 2 tie-in merchandise as a collector's item, and 3 the toy not an individual but a replaceable commodity eg Lotso or Barbie.

Gonna predict a Christ analogy for the Spork character, created pure of sin by the little girl in art class in school.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Pikachu looks so fuzzy and I can't believe we're finally getting realistic pokemans
Charizard looked loving scary and I can't wait to see whatever caused that huge earthquake in action

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hoping for dugtrio as the main antagonist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like that Pikachu design is the cutest goddamn thing ever, Nintendo needs to keep that cgi company on retainer

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
They really look like plush toys

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i can't believe i'm this excited for a pokemon movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Although the Detective Pikachu trailer was very good and dense and made me wish I was more into Pokemon, I've got to admit that the Toy Story 4 teaser certainly raised my expectations, albeit probably because they'd already gotten impossibly low to begin with. At least "a homemade toy created by a child has an existential crisis" is a legitimately interesting direction for Toy Story to go in, reminiscent of Buzz's plot from the original movie without being a retread (which actually puts it a step ahead of the second and third movies, both of which felt the need to retread Buzz's plot for some reason). I didn't think they had anywhere left to go with the concept, but I tentatively consider myself proven wrong.