Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
BDUs were fuckin' awful in Korea for several reasons; 1) they frequently didn't have the "summer" version in the popular sizes, forcing you to buy/wear the "winter" versions which were miserably hot 10 months out of the year, and 2) you had to starch/press them because fuckin' Army so they held in the heat even more. Doing routine poo poo in the motorpool would lead to rips and tears all the goddamn time.

Then there's the whole having to have 3-4 sets of boots because they had to be shined all the time and you needed 2-3 sets of 'work' shined boots and 1 set of 'motorpool monday' boots which were usually treated with mop and glow so they were largely useless at anything other than being on display from 0855-0915 once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The best part is the salty AGRs on FB griping about how they’ll have to wear the pinks n greens to work instead of their PJs

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Retardog posted:

The best part is the salty AGRs on FB griping about how they’ll have to wear the pinks n greens to work instead of their PJs

Commanders will just write this away with memos.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I don't understand why they don't use the fire retardant material for the standard uniform in the first place.

The standard OCP material doesn't breathe and is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The fire retardant version is more comfortable in both summer and winter. Also dries much quicker when wet.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nice and hot piss posted:

Never got in on the DCU's, kinda sad about that hearing that they were so comfy..

they wicked sweat out super awesomely and I never blew out a dcu crotch

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Uhh I never had my crotch rip out in BDU or DCU so they were infinitely more durable than ACUs paper thin material.

OCP is a seems more durable, but my last deployment would have been the first I would have worn them, but I only went out like 10 times in 6 months and 9 of those I was wearing civilian attire of some sort so they never were really put through the wringer like my DCUs and ACUs.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

To be fair the switch to ASU's and ACU's were awful decisions.

I'm still amazed that the ACU's got blessed off somehow.

Oh, hey, I remember the somehow. I asked the same question and did a bit of research on the matter. It doesn't really matter now but the story is so army it fuckin' hurts.

Basically the job of finding a new uniform, pattern, and colors went to Natick. They had a huge team of expert coming up with all these combinations, testing the balls off everything, different fabrics, durability, camouflaginess, durability, everything. I wanna say the whole thing cost over a hundred million or something equally ridiculous. Test production runs, the whole thing, this poo poo was literally weeks away from getting the big tick.

So everyone was feeling good about what they considered a successful project and an absolutely amazing end product. The 2 star in charge of Natick just comes into the office one day, with some materials, patterns, some color swatches, and a camo design that they already determined to be bad. He says something with the general gist being "I don't give a gently caress what you make, it needs to combine these things on this desk." There's a huge uproar but the 2 star says I don't give a gently caress, do it or you are all fired for insubordination.

So off it goes, and at this point the program is too expensive and can't be seen as a failure, so they push out the ACUs and they get the approval of the Natick 2 star and off they go.

2 weeks later the Natick commander retires and goes directly to the board of directors of a major textile company who are the major suppliers of the components of the ACUs.

In other words, gently caress you if you're still in.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That dude legitimately got soldiers killed so he could collect a paycheck. He deserves to be eaten alive by ants.

Mustang posted:

I don't understand why they don't use the fire retardant material for the standard uniform in the first place.

The standard OCP material doesn't breathe and is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The fire retardant version is more comfortable in both summer and winter. Also dries much quicker when wet.

You know the answer. It's always money.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

I would wear a garbage bag to work if they'd let me.

Maternity ACUs?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

Fire retardant (FRACUs) uniforms look like rear end after a few washes (I have both UCP and Multicam ones) and AFAIK they're very expensive on account of the fiber they're made out of. Comfortable as gently caress though, easily the best uniform I wore in 6 years. I don't see what sense it makes to issue FR uniforms for garrison wear unless you're doing poo poo that has a significant likelihood of getting you on fire such as aircrew, fuelers, etc.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There would be less bored enlisted dudes lighting each other on fire if they issued everyone FRACUs.

I'm leaving that up to you to decide if that's a pro or a con.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If anything they'd see it as a challenge.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The FRACUs I was issued had weirdly short inseams, though.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
FRACUs are more expensive and rip easier. Still hate not having them as issue since tankers cant wear non-fireproof and loving nomex coveralls that Army makes are atrocius.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Valtonen posted:

FRACUs are more expensive and rip easier. Still hate not having them as issue since tankers cant wear non-fireproof and loving nomex coveralls that Army makes are atrocius.

The fact that the old OD nomex coveralls and tanker jackets are now specifically not allowed by regulation pisses me off to no end. On top of the loving horrid coveralls the Army issues now (which we had in the Marines too, they were just big brown burlap sacks basically) there is the FREE system, which falls apart if you so much as sneeze at it.

Why does the Army hate good stuff that works? :(

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Thump! posted:

The fact that the old OD nomex coveralls and tanker jackets are now specifically not allowed by regulation pisses me off to no end. On top of the loving horrid coveralls the Army issues now (which we had in the Marines too, they were just big brown burlap sacks basically) there is the FREE system, which falls apart if you so much as sneeze at it.

I didn't give back my tanker jacket.

Turns out it wasn't on my records anyway.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Thump! posted:

Because you can't charge for replacement poo poo if the old stuff doesn't break, or get a job on the board of directors for the New Bright Idea

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

McNally posted:

I didn't give back my tanker jacket.

Turns out it wasn't on my records anyway.

Mine was :(. Not that I'd have ever worn it again, but it gave me fond memories of field grade officers gettin' hella mad when I used to stroll around in that bitch with an M9 in a drop leg and my beanie during field exercises with that spec rank on lookin' like as baller as you can be in the regular army. Fuckin' colonels jealous as gently caress about my get up.

That and my wife loved the thing because it was warm and comfortable but not hundreds of dollars warm and comfortable.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

not caring here posted:

Mine was :(. Not that I'd have ever worn it again, but it gave me fond memories of field grade officers gettin' hella mad when I used to stroll around in that bitch with an M9 in a drop leg and my beanie during field exercises with that spec rank on lookin' like as baller as you can be in the regular army. Fuckin' colonels jealous as gently caress about my get up.

That and my wife loved the thing because it was warm and comfortable but not hundreds of dollars warm and comfortable.

Yeah, my old tanker jacket is now expressly the domain of my wife, I don’t think I’ve worn it in 4 or 5 years.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I remember when my wife started her ADOS orders and realized she had to wear ASUs to work most days (starting in the winter months). She started complaining about how her only options were either the shirt or the ASU coat, but nothing really in between that was appropriate for office wear.

I asked "want me to buy you the sweater?"

She said "what sweater?"

And that's how she learned about the Army's black pullover sweater.

I wish I could have bottled her reaction to learning there was an option between "be cold in shirtsleeves" and "uncomfortable uniform coat"

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The sweater’s the best cause you don’t have to wear all your flair

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

And you get to feel like a commando and smoke cigars and poo poo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I just realized they might redo the sweater. Black sweater went fine with the greens. Went fine with the blues. Not sure how well it goes with pinks.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
There's a sweater??

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

I imagine an olive drab sweater like what they have for the Marine service uniform would fit the color scheme, or maybe something with more of a brown tinge

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

There's a sweater??

Two, a v-neck pullover and a cardigan.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The sweater is the best. Wear that with the windbreaker and you're good to go all winter long.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
ASUs are cool because they are for honoring loving the Confederates up. Also they look nice for fancy purposes, but suck for office wear.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Vahakyla posted:

ASUs are cool because they are for honoring loving the Confederates up. Also they look nice for fancy purposes, but suck for office wear.

Yeah but Pinks and Greens honor loving Nazis up.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Good news, you get to have both!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I'm so glad I'm out jfc, this would be my 3rd dress uniform and I don't even know how many fatigues

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

I haven't thought of the tanker jacket in years. I had to turn mine in since it was on the books (which was OK because it was pretty clapped out). I'd honestly buy one today if I could--I just did a quick google search but all it comes up with is reproduction WWII "Brad Pitt 'Fury'" jackets on eBay.

The sweater was pretty good too but I never a reason to wear it as we just wore woodland BDUs all the time. I think I wore it twice in ROTC or something.

I also regretted not "losing" my sleeping bag/system that had the two inner bags and an outer gortex shell with a compression sack. I wasn't able or willing to shell out the $380 it would have cost me at the time. Transitioning from the old rear end cotton shell down-filled bags to the new ones was a revelation.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

You can usually find that three piece sleeping bag for about $100 if you look around. I don't know how it compares to the civilian options. Still using mine for road trips cause it's warm. It stays in the car, so the bulk and weight don't bother me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Civilian bags are way more comfortable for less weight.

I got a bulkier North Face car bag, too and it's warmer than my military bag.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

The Rat posted:

You can usually find that three piece sleeping bag for about $100 if you look around. I don't know how it compares to the civilian options. Still using mine for road trips cause it's warm. It stays in the car, so the bulk and weight don't bother me.

The ones I've seen are all used though. I don't want to sleep in someone's old fart/jerk off sack.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Rat posted:

Yeah. They’re regularly available for cheap. They’re not the best option for serious backpackers but if most of your camping is in vicinity of a car or a day or two hike into back country, very solid option.

Hell, I think if you or someone you know is in vicinity of Sill, you can get them surplus direct from the army for $80ish.

It’s a good deal, even after the cost of commercially cleaning the hell out of it.

I got lucky with the surplus set I got and it was decidedly “new” and untouched. Very obviously still issue-packing and such.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 15, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Itchy_Grundle posted:

The ones I've seen are all used though. I don't want to sleep in someone's old fart/jerk off sack.

Do you think the one you were inside was new??

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got issued a new one, and proceeded to mark my territory with a steady diet of MREs and Thanksgiving Dinner T-rats. Those farts are eternal.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Do you think the one you were inside was new??

Actually yes. It was a new thing at the time so when ours were issued they were unused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Itchy_Grundle posted:

I haven't thought of the tanker jacket in years. I had to turn mine in since it was on the books (which was OK because it was pretty clapped out). I'd honestly buy one today if I could--I just did a quick google search but all it comes up with is reproduction WWII "Brad Pitt 'Fury'" jackets on eBay.

The correct term for it is CVC jacket.