Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Gee, I wonder if Nielsen will end up sitting in front of a Congressional Committee. Hmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Teddybear posted:

Nielsen on the way out; Kelly, who put Nielsen there, might be, too.

I really don't understand why Trump does what he does re: trying to force people out of his administration, Nielsen seems like she's been really effective at getting done what he's wanted done, and yet he wants her gone?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I really don't understand why Trump does what he does re: trying to force people out of his administration, Nielsen seems like she's been really effective at getting done what he's wanted done, and yet he wants her gone?

Sometimes I give my one year old exactly what he wants and he still throws a fit.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lightning Knight posted:

Is there something white house employees get after being there a year that he is trying to prevent? Also Nielson is going to get blamed for all the terrible immigration stuff going on with ICE, and he wants to dump her because it make shim look bad or something? I honestly don't know.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In Trumpworld "trump preparing to force someone out" just means some other adviser is trying to stick a dagger in their back. Trump's advisers feed "X is on the OUT" stories about each other to the media in an attempt to manipulate Trump into pulling the trigger.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Somebody photoshop :iiam: with a MAGA hat, tia.

Jon Schwarz for the Intercept, writing in retrospective about Al Gore in Florida and its relevance to today's elections.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

there was reporting on this over the summer about how Trump irrationally hates Nielson because she's a Bush acolyte (and he hates Bush people) who only got the job through Kelly, who he also deeply hates but cannot remove because he's too much of a baby

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Is there something white house employees get after being there a year that he is trying to prevent?

They can get tax deductions for selling assests to comply with ethics rules.

The Mooch got screwed on this IIRC.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Gee, I wonder if Nielsen will end up sitting in front of a Congressional Committee. Hmmmmm

And Mick Mulvaney continues to accumulate job titles.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cross posting from the Middle East thread:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/world/asia/afghanistan-taliban-attack-jaghori-district.html

Taliban Slaughter Elite Afghan Troops, and a 'Safe' District is Falling

quote:

A small team of journalists from The New York Times went into Jaghori’s capital, Sang-e-Masha, on Sunday morning to report on the symbolic importance of what everyone expected to be a fierce stand against the insurgents.

Instead, we found bandaged commandos wandering the streets in apparent despair, and officials discussing how they could flee an area almost entirely surrounded by the Taliban. By the end of the day, we were on the run, too.

Officials told us that more than 30 of the commandos had been killed, and we could see, on the streets and in the hospitals, 10 other wounded commandos. An additional 50 police officers and militiamen were also killed in the previous 24 hours, according to the militia’s commander, Nazer Hussein, who arrived from the front line with his wounded to plead for reinforcements.

“This is genocide,” Commander Hussein said. “If they don’t do something soon, the whole district will be in the Taliban’s hands.”

One So when the State Department released their most recent report about the Afghan war, they had some interesting facts about the Afghan security forces. While total casualties didn't change much from the same period last year, the proportion taken out doing things like patrolling decreased, while the number suffered defending static bases and checkpoints increased.

What this indicates is that the security forces are losing their initiative and capacity to fight offensively. Instead they are holding up in their bases and waiting for the Taliban to come to them. In the meanwhile the Taliban are seizing the countryside. Special forces units like those described in the article are meanwhile are being run ragged cleaning up the messes of local forces, and are being attrited away faster than they can be replaced. Probably in the near future the Afghan government is going to start losing big towns and cities as their defenses become increasingly exposed and isolated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I suspect it's mostly just a mindless display of power. He fires people just to remind everyone else that he can. I guess the assumption is that people afraid for their jobs are more loyal, or more sycophantic, at least.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kaitlynross1/status/1062195961114607616

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

Stories like this aren't Trump forcing people out.

Stories like this are other people in the administration trying to force people out by starting rumours that they're being forced out. Trump responds to whatever's on television, so if the television says someone has to go . . . .

Same thing has been repeatedly tried against a lot of longer term Trump folks (Mattis, Kelly). Rumours don't mean poo poo in this admin till they happen.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect it's mostly just a mindless display of power. He fires people just to remind everyone else that he can. I guess the assumption is that people afraid for their jobs are more loyal, or more sycophantic, at least.

in nielson's case specifically, she was the one who pushed through the executive order ending child separations the day after she got yelled at in a restaurant. trump never backs down from anything, and loves scapegoating, so i bet she took all of the blame for backing down from that decision.

also, there was this leak earlier, from before the executive order, things have definitely not been calm between them:

quote:

The New York Times reported in May 2018 that Nielsen considered resigning after President Trump berated her in front of the Cabinet for the purported failure to secure U.S. borders.[28] The Times reported that there was tension between Nielsen and Trump after she and other DHS officials resisted Trump's call to separate undocumented immigrant parents from their children while in custody.[28] The Times' reporting was confirmed to Politico and Reuters by a source at the DHS.[29][30] Nielsen denied that she threatened to resign.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The judiciary is killing it this cycle!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

:dance:

get rekt kemp

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/LauraAJarrett/status/1062195820748042241

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not much of an artist and not exactly the tone you were going for, but

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 13, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

apparently it's being prompted most directly by California: the state is in a number of separate legal battles with the Trump administration that have Jeff Sessions' name on them. This puts them in a good place to ask a judge "wait a minute, is this new guy even legally his replacement?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The dumb thing is that Sessions was clearly fired, but they had him ‘resign’ so they could appoint someone immediately. The question is whether the courts agree.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The dumb thing is that Sessions was clearly fired, but they had him ‘resign’ so they could appoint someone immediately. The question is whether the courts agree.

Imagine being so broke brained you agree to resign for Donald Trump to save face.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

yronic heroism posted:

Imagine being so broke brained you agree to resign for Donald Trump to save face.

Yeah he was clearly not at all happy about it, close to tears on his final day etc. Does getting fired remove a pension or something from him? He's only been doing the job 5 minutes, it can't be that much. It seems absolutely spineless when he could have refused a la Rosenstein.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 13, 2018

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah he was clearly not at all happy about it, close to tears on his final day etc. Does getting fired remove a pension or something from him? He's only been doing the job 5 minutes, it can't be that much. It seems absolutely spineless eben he could have redused a la Rosenstein,

His last day on the job he got to absolutely cripple any attempt nationwide at reforming police departments. He got his 30 pieces of silver.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah he was clearly not at all happy about it, close to tears on his final day etc. Does getting fired remove a pension or something from him? He's only been doing the job 5 minutes, it can't be that much. It seems absolutely spineless when he could have refused a la Rosenstein.

The only thing they can do to make his life harder is try to primary him if he runs for his old senate seat, and really who cares when you’re an old. It’s not like he’s some kid at a hedge fund or w/e who has to make his resume look like he left voluntarily to “freelance”.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Donald suckered by 30 year-old ploy that previous presidents saw right through.

Basically: North Korea’s ‘we promise we are negotiating in good faith’ line re: nuclear weapons actually worked.

I think Donnie may not be a bright guy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1062311785787744256?s=19

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
His Twitter truly reads like those embarrassingly dumb news site commentaries.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

He's never faced consequences for his actions in his entire life and has developed an attitude that everything he does is perfect as a result. Because of this, anything that goes wrong is someone else's fault, and they've gotta go.

I hated this poo poo when GW did it too. France has been one of our strongest allies through history. making GBS threads on them because they respectfully don't want to go on a misadventure with us is weak as hell

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

He's never faced consequences for his actions in his entire life and has developed an attitude that everything he does is perfect as a result. Because of this, anything that goes wrong is someone else's fault, and they've gotta go.

I hated this poo poo when GW did it too. France has been one of our strongest allies through history. making GBS threads on them because they respectfully don't want to go on a misadventure with us is weak as hell

Macron should ask for the Statue of Liberty back, it's not like you guys have any use for it.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Hey Fancy,

I did door knocking for Beto, first time for any candidate, this year, and the huge majority of the people with me this year were all first timers as well.

Maybe there will be a separate thread for it a year from now as we get into the 2020 stretch, or maybe there already is (?), but I would appreciate any advice or guidance on best ways to approach talking to people about their choice, I didn't really do much in the way of engaging the few supposed undecideds we encountered nor did my partner. I realize even if you don't the simple act of getting the data and making a vote plan with the supporters you find is valuable, but assuming I get involved with this earlier for 2020 it will be more important when knocking earlier in the cycle or doing registration drives.

I guess what I'm interested in is samples of the type of conversations, both good ones and unproductive ones, that you have had in doing the ground work either on foot or on the phone.

This. I think a primer on how to get involved in state and local politics would be exceptionally valuable for those of us looking to do more.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Not to get all Freudian, Neilsen is also a woman with the main job of telling Trump "no." Not because she wants to, understand, but because Trump seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how immigration works and has reportedly tried to do things like cancel all visas from Central America or send asylum seekers away without a hearing or have the army fight the caravan or insist on building the wall.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Tibalt posted:

Not to get all Freudian, Neilsen is also a woman with the main job of telling Trump "no." Not because she wants to, understand, but because Trump seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how immigration works and has reportedly tried to do things like cancel all visas from Central America or send asylum seekers away without a hearing or have the army fight the caravan or insist on building the wall.

Seeing as how two days ago Trump accused Baltic state leaders for helping to start the Balkans conflict in the former Yugoslavia (WHERE HIS CURRENT WIFE IS FROM!!!) I'd go with yeah, he doesn't know poo poo about poo poo.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...-lithuania.html

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

friendbot2000 posted:

This. I think a primer on how to get involved in state and local politics would be exceptionally valuable for those of us looking to do more.

Just as a starting point I would say go into your local government's webpage and look for places to sign up for alerts or news about upcoming public forums and council meetings. Just showing up to some of those is one of the biggest bang for your buck things you can do because usually a dozen or so people (at most) end up representing the view of thousands and the results usually are apparent within anywhere between a month to a year.

As an example I learned that our neighborhood association (read - turbo NIMBYs) was going to be visited by a city representative looking into installation of a set of protected walk/bike lane down a rod through the neighborhood. Me and another random person were able to re-pitch the idea in terms that we knew the other members would go for (Slower traffic! Dog walking area! Safe place for parents to teach their kids to ride!) and that pushed it from the NA folks being suspicious of the idea to them committing neighborhood funds for upkeep. The lanes went in a few months later and everyone loves them.

Anyway in news news: Bolton is claiming that the recording from the Saudi consulate doesn't directly link to MBS.

Of course we have no idea what he would consider as implicating MBS short of MBS's voice being heard on speakerphone directing the operation.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Of course we have no idea what he would consider as implicating MBS short of MBS's voice being heard on speakerphone directing the operation.

"I am the Saudi Crown Prince and I'm going to kill you now!!!"

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

knox_harrington posted:

Macron should ask for the Statue of Liberty back, it's not like you guys have any use for it.

We need it, since we obviously plan on removing the copper skin and replacing it with irony.

Meanwhile, any hope of warmer relations with our long-time ally just gets more and more distant.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
:gritin: folks
https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/status/1062326414266064901
https://twitter.com/jiveDurkey/status/1062151576788365312

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The OSC doesn't leak so... I'm thinking that's just more bullshit.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lightning Knight posted:

Compaction cycles are not logical. And Trump does not think in rational objective-oriented terms.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gina Haspel was quoted as saying that Erdogan is good, and strong, and her friend

https://twitter.com/mattmcgarry/status/1062325181530693633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chilichimp posted:

The OSC doesn't leak so... I'm thinking that's just more bullshit.

The OSC doesn't leak but my understanding is that when there isn't a flight risk the person being indicted is generally given a bit of a heads up so that they can get their affairs in order (arrange for bills to be paid and whatnot), get money where it could be used for bail, and have their attorney readily available for when they turn themselves in.