Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

George H.W. oval office posted:

Is there a considered best water repellent for car windows? Need to apply a treatment and get new wipers

There's also Rain-X windshield wiper fluid that is "good enough" for me with a low effort of application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Horse Clocks posted:

Do children’s building blocks (wooden shapes, suitable for an infant, not Lego) with tight tolerances exist?

I’ve got a set from ikea, and while they’re fine everything has different sizes and not cut entirely square. making anything taller than a few blocks wonky.

It’s a bit more money than sense, but it’d be nice to have something accurate to build some cool towers for my kid to knock down.

Kapla is the goto around here, I'd assume that there would be a local equivalent wherever you are.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like my woolx hoodie it's sufficiently warm and doesn't make me super staticy in winter (Wool tshirt + synthetics = static) but it's 200 bucks when not on sale. The hood is overly roomy but I like having it in case I need it.

https://www.woolx.com/products/heavyweight-hooded-merino-wool-sweatshirt-for-men-x710?variant=20969370629

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My pillows are going flat and making my head feel sore halfway through the night. They’re pretty cheap target feather pillows so I don’t mind giving up and moving on (tried washing and fluffing already.)

What’s your favorite pillow brand?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm about to suggest an expensive, basically orthopedic pillow, but it hugely improved my quality of sleep, so...

https://relaxtheback.com/products/contourside-pillow

fe: that style really only works for side sleepers

For real, don't cheap out on your bed or shoes. It's old-man advice, but goddamn does it make a difference.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m a side sleeper!

That’s not too too bad a price, my crappy Target ones were like 30 apiece, I could keep those for body pillows and get a snazzy one for my head.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I bought a latex foam pillow for about that much which I prefer to the memory foam ones I tried. The latex is supposed to be a bit better at temperature regulation, and it feels "springier" than memory foam which has more of a "sinking" head feel.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

I'm about to suggest an expensive, basically orthopedic pillow, but it hugely improved my quality of sleep, so...

https://relaxtheback.com/products/contourside-pillow

fe: that style really only works for side sleepers

For real, don't cheap out on your bed or shoes. It's old-man advice, but goddamn does it make a difference.

Here's a cheaper alternative that worked for me: https://www.amazon.com/MARNUR-Ortho...cervical+pillow

I was a life long stomach sleeper, until I was diagnosed with a bulging disc in my neck, and my doctor said one of the best things I could do was start sleeping on my back/side with a supportive pillow. This pillow is comfortable enough that I was able to get used to back/side sleeping, and I am definitely waking up feeling better than I have in the past. I've only had it a few months, so I can't speak to the durability, but I love the style.

EDIT: I agree, don't cheap out. I just wanted to make sure I liked the style, without spending too much in case I couldn't get used to it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a bunch of old photos that I've been keeping in a shoe box. I now have roughly 3 shoe boxes. I would like to put them into a nice container of sorts that isn't clear plastic, and can withstand some elements (mostly heat and humidity), I don't need it to withstand a nuclear bomb. Any suggestions?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I would like a fan for a big space (my 'loungeroom') *26 ft x 26ft x 12ft* I guess. Upstairs and it bakes as the bricks radiate. Australian tropics basically. I was thinking of getting an industrial floor fan but I dont think I could put up with the noise. Suggestions?

quote:

Pillow Chat

I've tried a fair few options to put it mildly (I have a lot of problems sleeping at the best of times), if its not too late in the conversation and you have the money then i would ask - Have you considered just going to a mattress store and trying some options?

Perpetual Hiatus has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Nov 12, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need to compress a GIANT (8 foot) beanbag chair. Well, it's memory foam but whatever.

I'd like to use a vacuum bag but I can't find any that big.

Help! It's enormous and otherwise cannot be transported without a truck.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Inzombiac posted:

I need to compress a GIANT (8 foot) beanbag chair. Well, it's memory foam but whatever.

I'd like to use a vacuum bag but I can't find any that big.

Help! It's enormous and otherwise cannot be transported without a truck.
Is it a single piece of foam? Or are there smaller pieces that you could take out of the cover and vacuum-bag separately?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

wheatpuppy posted:

Is it a single piece of foam? Or are there smaller pieces that you could take out of the cover and vacuum-bag separately?

It's a ton of foam scraps in a fine mesh bag inside a huge cover. I don't think I can take any out of the mesh portion.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
A big black trash bag to start, taped to the shop vac hose. Then, as it gets smaller, fit it into a smaller vac bag, or wrap it with the vacuum still on with duct tape to keep small. May have to split and tape two trash bags together, but doable.

I know your plight.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad wants a new watch for his birthday later this month. It needs to have a leather band and show both the date and the time. I don’t have a whole ton of money to spend, but it’d be good for it to at least look nice.

What are my options?

While I’m here, I’m also interested in those Roomba vaccuums. Which ones are good? Are the iRobot ones any better than the Shark ones?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad wants a new watch for his birthday later this month. It needs to have a leather band and show both the date and the time. I don’t have a whole ton of money to spend, but it’d be good for it to at least look nice.

What are my options?

You might get better responses in the watch / accessory thread over in the YLLS sub forum.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

What are my options?

While I’m here, I’m also interested in those Roomba vaccuums. Which ones are good? Are the iRobot ones any better than the Shark ones?

Check out mvmt.com. Sleek looking watches for cheap.

Also if you listen to any podcasts they usually have discount codes. I think my brother my brother and me have a code you can use (code likely: mybrother)

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I would like a fan for a big space (my 'loungeroom') 36ft cube I guess.

I think you've converted something wrong. For a 9 ft ceiling (~2.7m), that's a 2ftx2ft (0.6mx0.6m) room.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

T.C. posted:

I think you've converted something wrong. For a 9 ft ceiling (~2.7m), that's a 2ftx2ft (0.6mx0.6m) room.

I converted it wrong on many many levels plus a wrong digit, a cube of x feet sides is not x cubic feet. Jeeze. Thanks. *26 ft x 26ft x 12ft* are the dimensions roughly

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I've never owned a robot vacuum cleaner but am considering getting one to try to take down the tumbleweeds of pet hair our 110lb rottie mix is leaving in all the corners of our house.

Are these up to that task, or are they more for light dusting?
Assuming our dog doesn't try to eat it, is there a brand/model that anyone would recommend?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Cornuto posted:

I've never owned a robot vacuum cleaner but am considering getting one to try to take down the tumbleweeds of pet hair our 110lb rottie mix is leaving in all the corners of our house.

Are these up to that task, or are they more for light dusting?
Assuming our dog doesn't try to eat it, is there a brand/model that anyone would recommend?

Roomba e5 or whatever is the cheapest Roomba that has the rubber rollers and not the brush rollers. But this is more for ease of cleaning the rollers. Otherwise Eufy 11s for a budget pick.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If your dog isn't crated during the day and ever has an accident in the house the roomba will smear that everywhere. Something easily avoidable but also to be aware of.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

bamhand posted:

If your dog isn't crated during the day and ever has an accident in the house the roomba will smear that everywhere. Something easily avoidable but also to be aware of.

True story. Happened to me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Krime posted:

True story. Happened to me.
You had an accident in the house, or you got smeared everywhere by a roomba?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I have some Roomba that advertises specifically that it's for pet hair - I have two dogs and two cats, and while it doesn't get eeeeeeeeverything it keeps us from having to vacuum daily (now it's only every cpl of weeks). I'd say it's about 70% effective; you also have to empty it daily, assuming you have it run daily. No clue which model it is and how much it cost, bc it was a gift, but if you're interested I'll check when I'm home!

Now, a request: I'm starting my Christmas shopping quest! Give me ideas for the following:

- Something golf-related that may also be techy or outdoor-related, in the region of $50
- A good, classy, not-cheesy memorial option for a lost pet, in the range of $100

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Eufy is great. Bigger dustbin, quieter, and a third of the price of my Roomba 790. We have two dogs and two cats and would run it daily; running it once might not hit every spot, but if you do it daily then it keeps everything under control.
We had to quit running it every day because it would always get stuck under the couch or choke on a cat toy and I had to play "find the eufy" every day when I got home, thankfully we never had the problem of pet waste smearing. Surprised they don't have a sensor for that yet...

edit: I should note that we've only run it on hardwood and tile floors. I know it can run on carpet but no idea how well.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Got a leather jacket that's nice and warm, but I'd like to pick up another jacket for when the snow picks up again. Any recommendations for a heavier winter coat that's under $150?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Is the eufy... actually good?

I bought a Neato after my roomba died after nearly 10 years. It’s so loving stupid and I just want to drown it.

It gets stuck in holes it can fit through, sometimes just never backs up onto its charger leaving it out of action for a week until someone notices, beeps constantly when it thinks it needs a bin change, gets stuck trying to reverse up walls, beeps constantly when it thinks it’s stuck... on its charger, doesn’t actually clean the edges (it sits a good 6” away from the edge), grab stuff and pull it around the room (usually shoes, but sometimes cables, and other time blinds)

The only issue I recall having with the roomba is it would get stuck in some room geometries.

I’d buy another roomba, but can’t really justify the price tag for the space it cleans.

Horse Clocks has a new favorite as of 08:44 on Nov 14, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do we have a mattress buying thread around here?

I need a new one and I’m looking at a Beautyrest right now. Whatever I get needs to be soft and stay super duper cool because I’m a hot sleeper and I’m really sensitive to heat when I sleep (I usually sleep under one single sheet/blanket with my thermostat in the mid 60s and a fan blowing on me).

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

I. M. Gei posted:

I need a new one and I’m looking at a Beautyrest right now. Whatever I get needs to be soft and stay super duper cool because I’m a hot sleeper and I’m really sensitive to heat when I sleep (I usually sleep under one single sheet/blanket with my thermostat in the mid 60s and a fan blowing on me).

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
whats a good bathroom scale? the reviews on the ones recommended by the wirecutter are garbage

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

svenkatesh posted:

whats a good bathroom scale? the reviews on the ones recommended by the wirecutter are garbage

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MQ8A5UY?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

I researched for a little too long and found this one. It’s pricey but it’s perfect all around. Built like an absolute tank and works great. I couldn’t be happier with it.

e: also it’s a nice talking robot friend

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

you are entering a dark and terrifying land. i’m sorry.

do the research. then do more. then in person testing. and remember that the entire industry is suffused with bullshit, intentionally confusing (multiple names for the same or almost identical products) and set up to get you to pay more for poo poo that doesn’t matter and/or to game rankings / reviews etc.

with regard to your requirements, you want a circular square: to be cool you want a mattress you sleep on rather than sink into, meaning there’s going to be a correlation between firmness and coolness

also one general caveat: companies love to slap slabs of various materials into integrated pillowtops. be aware that these can break down much faster than the other elements of a mattress, so if you really want one you should consider a separate topper so the whole assembly doesn’t have to be replaced if that particular component fails

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
For what it's worth, I bought an endy (Canadian version of a Casper mattress I suppose) and have been a huge fan of it. Had a few family members also buy one with similar praise.

I'm a hot sleeper and it doesn't retain heat. Got one of their pillows too and it's been great.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m a hot sleeper and usually like firm normal mattresses but recently I slept on a Wonderland soft foam mattress and had an incredible night of sleep without overheating and now I don’t know what’s real.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

svenkatesh posted:

Get a mechanical beam one, like those at the dr's office. They're more expensive and larger, but they also don't use any of that electronic trickery to create a false sense of precision.

I've had mine (Health O Meter brand) for about 9 years and it's still working great, showing my sinusoidal weight loss and gain with wonderful accuracy.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Snowy posted:

I’m a hot sleeper and usually like firm normal mattresses but recently I slept on a Wonderland soft foam mattress and had an incredible night of sleep without overheating and now I don’t know what’s real.

i spent years sleeping on foam mattresses and would never do so again. the heat, and eventually the degradation of the materials; ugh

not sure what i’d go with if i were in the market today, probably a multi zone pocket coil support layer with latex and / or maybe micro coils in the comfort layer

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
As with everything, natural latex is the way to go.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Like 15% of the population has a literally deadly latex allergy tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Not everyone can walk the easy path.