Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

orcane posted:

"I'm out of MP and could really use Ewer just now"

Balance
Balance
Balance
Balance

:suicide:

Spire.

Well, that's getting RR'd.

Spire.
Redraw.
Spire.

WELL I HOPE YOU ALL WANTED TP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I did want TP, actually. It's not easy playing SAM. :v:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
AST is very cool but my thing is that it has so many buttons dedicated to the card system, which is just kind of boring? I don't know enough about the math to suggest balance changes but they should punch up the visual effects when you give someone a card. Like, balance would do a ff7 style limit break power up animation or something - people should feel like badasses when they get a card from you even if the actual effect isn't that major.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Zwingley posted:

I did want TP, actually. It's not easy playing SAM. :v:

Oh god I feel you. I just wanna AoE, game, why you have to be like this. :negative:

Whining aside, last night I ran my first dungeon with SAM 62, and holy poo poo does improved kenki generation make this way more fun.

Too much fun, actually, I need to do a bit of reading and start practising weaving Shintens between combo actions because there was a point I had so much poo poo lit up that I had no idea what to hit next.

I like SAM.

Relax Or DIE posted:

AST is very cool but my thing is that it has so many buttons dedicated to the card system, which is just kind of boring? I don't know enough about the math to suggest balance changes but they should punch up the visual effects when you give someone a card. Like, balance would do a ff7 style limit break power up animation or something - people should feel like badasses when they get a card from you even if the actual effect isn't that major.

AST looks super intimidating when you start getting your un-x actions, but after a while you realise you kinda never use them. There's a point to be made about undraw before you get Redraw/Minor Arcana, but for RR you can just overwrite it, and there's no reason to delete a spread when you can just cast it instead (undraw spread triggers the cooldown, so it's not like you can erase one and then immediately spread something over).

I'm with you on the effects though, I think most of the times I slap a card on someone they don't even notice.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 13, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Anyone else get unreasonably offended when the DRK uses TBN on them? What, you didn't have faith in me to avoid the easily avoidable AoEs? Well then gently caress you too.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oh god I feel you. I just wanna AoE, game, why you have to be like this. :negative:

Whining aside, last night I ran my first dungeon with SAM 62, and holy poo poo does improved kenki generation make this way more fun.

Too much fun, actually, I need to do a bit of reading and start practising weaving Shintens between combo actions because there was a point I had so much poo poo lit up that I had no idea what to hit next.

I like SAM.

Wait until you get Hagakure and Guren and you'll have a -lot- of options for kenki shenanigans.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
For the record I was planning to manaward that AoE anyway so I can fire4 more but POINT STILL STANDS

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Renegret posted:

Anyone else get unreasonably offended when the DRK uses TBN on them? What, you didn't have faith in me to avoid the easily avoidable AoEs? Well then gently caress you too.

DRK using TBN on me is fine, it's when I get Cover'd that I feel personally shamed.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Renegret posted:

I go into the aoe at that point as I have an excuse. :unsmigghh:

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Renegret posted:

I get really offended if I use TBN on someone who I assume is going to eat it to an attack and they end up moving

Thanks for wasting my mana!!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thyrork posted:

I go into the aoe at that point as I have an excuse. :unsmigghh:

I make it a point to get out of the AoE because gently caress your darkness you don't want that anyway

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make the stats on Eureka Weapons randomly generated is in idiot.

It was Komoto, wasn't it. Komoto, you a dumb.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Monathin posted:

DRK using TBN on me is fine, it's when I get Cover'd that I feel personally shamed.

When I'm on PLD and I know there's a big pack spawn coming up (like near the end of the Aery, for instance), I'll throw cover on the healer (who almost always has regens running) and just let all the mobs come to them instead of running around to gather them up, so sometimes cover is a matter of convenience.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Renegret posted:

i want blackblood

go get hit for me

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
QM quality should improve significantly once they finally implement the system to guarantee each team at least has a tank, a healer, and a ranged assassin

Its only taken them years to get the system working

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Edmond Dantes posted:

I like SAM.

AST looks super intimidating when you start getting your un-x actions, but after a while you realise you kinda never use them. There's a point to be made about undraw before you get Redraw/Minor Arcana, but for RR you can just overwrite it, and there's no reason to delete a spread when you can just cast it instead (undraw spread triggers the cooldown, so it's not like you can erase one and then immediately spread something over).

I'm with you on the effects though, I think most of the times I slap a card on someone they don't even notice.

SAM top tip: your full three combo sequence always generate enough kenki for one shinten and one weaponskill buff, even if you botch your positionals.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm putting together a O9S learning party group this Saturday at 8:00PM EST.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MR8tSmkvB6cVRYnZHJAqS7hlnPykVkQEvsgv4Ni_1rw/edit?usp=sharing

Only requirements are the ability to clear the O9S dummy and a good attitude.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Vargatron posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MR8tSmkvB6cVRYnZHJAqS7hlnPykVkQEvsgv4Ni_1rw/edit?usp=sharing

Guess I should go hit that dummy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Vargatron posted:

Only requirements are the ability to clear the O9S dummy

Hell yeah I'm in

Vargatron posted:

and a good attitude.

What the poo poo

(this is a joke I won't even be in town)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
are servers down or was my account stolen?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

are servers down or was my account stolen?

It says they're up on the little website tracker. Can you log into Mogstation maybe and see if that works?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i cannot! and neither of my email addresses seem to link back to my FFXIV account any more, despite getting a billing email yesterday?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i cannot! and neither of my email addresses seem to link back to my FFXIV account any more, despite getting a billing email yesterday?

Hmm, I'm not home to check the game, but I definitely just logged into the mogstation just fine so... :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cabbit posted:

SAM top tip: your full three combo sequence always generate enough kenki for one shinten and one weaponskill buff, even if you botch your positionals.

That's good to know.

Let's see if I'm reading the number's correctly: If I have 3 sen up (and I don't have the Sen -> Kenki skill yet or it's on cooldown) and enough kenki for both Shinten and Kaiten, I should go for a boosted Midare over Shinten -> Midare, right? It's 300 potency on the Shinten at 25 kenki vs 360 "extra" on the Midare for 20, but I'm not sure if Shinten being OGCD tips the scales in its favour.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

That's correct; using the weaponskill buff on an Iaijutsu is a better play than using Shinten, but Hagakure (the Sen-to-Kenki) skill is a better play than using Midare. That's the basic interplay of the spec-- you want all your Iaijutsus to be buffed with Kaiten, but you want to keep Hagakure on CD and always use it with three Sen (and always keep a buffed Higanbana on the target, because Higanbana does more damage than a Midare for just one Sen).

The endgame rotation ends up using Midare a lot less because of Hagakure, and Shinten a lot more-- turning Sen into Shinten is a DPS gain over turning them into a Midare, on account of Shinten being an OGCD. But, when you have to turn three Sen into an Iaijutsu because Hagakure is down, Kaiten beats Shinten.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 13, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

That's good to know.

Let's see if I'm reading the number's correctly: If I have 3 sen up (and I don't have the Sen -> Kenki skill yet or it's on cooldown) and enough kenki for both Shinten and Kaiten, I should go for a boosted Midare over Shinten -> Midare, right? It's 300 potency on the Shinten at 25 kenki vs 360 "extra" on the Midare for 20, but I'm not sure if Shinten being OGCD tips the scales in its favour.

Kaiten + Higan/Midare > Shinten

Being oGCD doesn't come into play because you are doing the Midare anyway, so that GCD is being happening either way. Think of it as combining a Midare and a Shinten AND 60 more potency into a single GCD that you were going to do anyway AND you save 5 kenki which after 5 rounds will equal a free Shinten

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Drizvolta posted:

Guess I should go hit that dummy

IIRC it's approx 5400 DPS to kill it in 3 mins.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cabbit posted:

That's correct; using the weaponskill buff on an Iaijutsu is a better play than using Shinten, but Hagakure (the Sen-to-Kenki) skill is a better play than using Midare. That's the basic interplay of the spec-- you want all your Iaijutsus to be buffed with Kaiten, but you want to keep Hagakure on CD and always use it with three Sen (and always keep a buffed Higanbana on the target, because Higanbana does more damage than a Midare for just one Sen).

The endgame rotation ends up using Midare a lot less because of Hagakure, and Shinten a lot more-- turning Sen into Shinten is a DPS gain over turning them into a Midare, on account of Shinten being an OGCD. But, when you have to turn three Sen into an Iaijutsu because Hagakure is down, Kaiten beats Shinten.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Kaiten + Higan/Midare > Shinten

Being oGCD doesn't come into play because you are doing the Midare anyway, so that GCD is being happening either way. Think of it as combining a Midare and a Shinten AND 60 more potency into a single GCD that you were going to do anyway AND you save 5 kenki which after 5 rounds will equal a free Shinten

Awesome, cheers. I knew about Hagakure -> Shinten(s) being a priority over Midare, but wasn't too sure about kenki usage.

Should I care about the "open eyes" stuff? Seems to be more... "of opportunity" than something you can rely on.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Proper Seigan use is a very small DPS gain. I keep Third Eye and Merciful Eyes on my bars because the less healing my idiot rear end needs the more time the healer can spend throwing rocks at the boss, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's a bigger raid DPS gain than using Seigan.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 13, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Edmond Dantes posted:

Should I care about the "open eyes" stuff? Seems to be more... "of opportunity" than something you can rely on.

You should. They're great for the unavoidable/regular AoEs. Merciful has also, on occasion, bought just enough time thru the enmity drop for the dead tank to get Raised and back to tanking. Outside of that, it can be good when the tank overfocuses on DPS than enmity.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Oh that's right, they added a threat drop to Merciful too. Definitely use that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Threat drop? I thought that was getting a res.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Merciful is also really nice during things like the divebombs w/ lightning in O10S. Midgardsormr is still in the target list so you get free healing and an enmity drop.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Grimace posted:

Whoever thought it was a good idea to make the stats on Eureka Weapons randomly generated is in idiot.

Honestly I like that aspect of the Pyros relic system a lot. For a lot of people relics are basically glamours, so this way plenty of people can stop fudging around with it and be completely satisfied without going crazy with light.

Giving the potential for a badass stat roll just means that light continues being a sort of meaningful reward way longer than it would have otherwise. It's a win-win as long as you don't take "getting a super perfect relic" as a requirement, just a cool possible thing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Grimace posted:

Komoto is dumb, but I kinda like the random stats for this dumbass tier. It's 385 and we're past the point where you should already have a (probably) better 390 weapon anyway. The random stats can at least lead to maybe some truly comedic stats somewhere. I'm really hoping to get something with 600+skill speed on my samurai. I can already get the gcd down to 1.39 I think it was with enhanced arrow, want to break that 1 second mark and just have all the sen.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Vargatron posted:

I'll give it a shot, then. I'm Pham Lightrook on Midgardsormr, incidentally.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

Merciful is also really nice during things like the divebombs w/ lightning in O10S. Midgardsormr is still in the target list so you get free healing and an enmity drop.

Yep. If you time it well you can also get several Mercifuls from the small dragon's rime wreaths. On more than one occasion I've gone from flashing orange agro on Middy at the jump to green by the time he gets back.

Use third eye for damage as much as you can get away with, but don't be shy about getting the -enmity from Merciful when you are doing well and climbing that hate list.

Renegret posted:

If you're on blm this is actually a sign that the drk loves and respects you. "Here, friend. Please continue turreting."

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 13, 2018

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Grimace posted:

You need to reroll it 5 times to even start rolling it for real bee tee dubs :greenangel:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bolow posted:

You need to reroll it 5 times to even start rolling it for real bee tee dubs :greenangel:

One of the things I like about ff is that its usually free of this kind of obtuse bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

KoB posted:

One of the things I like about ff is that its usually free of this kind of obtuse bullshit.

um have you ever played another FF game

let me tell you about junctioning
or the sphere grid