Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/11/midterm-election-congress-nasa-space/575320/

I say this is a good thing: get the pork-mongering hypocritical Republicans out of the space decisions, and reorient NASA to a more Earth-centric mission focus: climate change monitoring and research, asteroid and CME watching, and satellite upkeep.

All the ISS has proven is humans do not now nor will they ever belong in space. Decommission the ISS, wrap up any current unmanned probe missions, and axe the ones currently being planned. We got minorities dying in the streets to fascists, kids dying in cages, and the loving Earth itself being poached by our own oil obsession; we don't have the luxury to get distracted with this ongoing pie-in-the-sky space boondoggle.

If the Chinese want to waste money, resources, and personnel on that poo poo, I say loving let 'em. We got an all-hands-on-deck situation to deal with as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Or maybe just spend a little bit less on the military instead.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hellblazer187 posted:

For all of the (justified) "rest in piss" stuff we said about McCain on this board, it's kind of silly to forget how much he was respected by most people and especially in Arizona.

I wonder how many of these Republican who voted for Sinema will be Republicans again next time or if they will be like the "Democrats" in the south who voted straight party R for decades.

The latest ep of The Dollop is about everybody's favorite failson, turned airplane crasher, turned failed presidential candidate, John "the Maverick" McCain.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Taerkar posted:

Or maybe just spend a little bit less on the military instead.

Both need to be cut, yes.

America First is stupid and Nazi, Earth First is not.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is a pretty big deal

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1062395325015572482

region 4 is the entire southeast - AL/FL/GA/KY/MS/NC/SC/TN - and regional administrators are extremely important officials

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Both need to be cut, yes.

America First is stupid and Nazi, Earth First is not.

Your brain is deeply broken and the ISS, which represents an absolutely infinitesimal expense in the grand scheme of things, is used for a lot more than pie in the sky human colonization studies.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
We should fund NASA properly so they can do climate monitoring and all of that sort of thing AND manned spaceflight/deep space exploration. It shouldn't be a binary choice between the two.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

We should fund NASA properly so they can do climate monitoring and all of that sort of thing AND manned spaceflight/deep space exploration. It shouldn't be a binary choice between the two.

Space colonialism is still colonialism, and thus still fundamentally immoral. We don't belong in space, ever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Space colonialism is still colonialism, and thus still fundamentally immoral. We don't belong in space, ever.

This is not what words mean.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

quote:

A federal judge on Tuesday found that Gwinnett County violated the Civil Rights Act in its handling of absentee ballots during last week's midterm elections.

U.S. District Judge Leigh Martin May wrote in a 17-page order that the county was found to be acting in violation of the Civil Rights Act by rejecting absentee ballots solely on the basis of an omitted or incorrect birth year.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...impression=true

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i posted this in the local politics thread also but this is important because gwinnett county is heavily populated by first generation immigrants who legitimately may not have things like birth certificates or a firm date on when they were born

Quorum posted:

Your brain is deeply broken and the ISS, which represents an absolutely infinitesimal expense in the grand scheme of things, is used for a lot more than pie in the sky human colonization studies.

my personal read on the ISS is that it doesn't do much useful science but the governance of the thing is so international and complicated that it exists largely through sheer bureaucratic inertia. which itself is a nice thing, that the space forward nations of the world could get together and collaborate on a united global space station, even if we can't really use it to its full potential due to current lack of things for humans to do in space

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 13, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

WE don’t need a Space Army, but we could use a Space Army Corps of Engineers, especially if the space above our heads keeps getting increasingly corporate.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've never understood the argument that we have problems on earth, therefore we can't explore space. It's like some people think the entire nation can only do one thing at a time, or that people are only dying of preventable illness due to resource scarcity.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

apparently it's being prompted most directly by California: the state is in a number of separate legal battles with the Trump administration that have Jeff Sessions' name on them. This puts them in a good place to ask a judge "wait a minute, is this new guy even legally his replacement?"

this is from last night but i am pleased that we do have an answer to "who the heck, other than current FBI employees lol, has standing to complain about Acting Director Whassisface?"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Quorum posted:

It's hilarious that his list of cuts doesn't include SLS , but does include widely successful probe programs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've never understood the argument that we have problems on earth, therefore we can't explore space. It's like some people think the entire nation can only do one thing at a time, or that people are only dying of preventable illness due to resource scarcity.

Agreed, it’s a fundamentally anti-science view to take. Any sort of program that needs funding can get that funding from the military or raised taxes.

Edit: Apparently Mueller is going after Nigel Farage. I didn’t realize he had connections to Russia, but I doesn’t surprise me either.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...re_iOSApp_Other

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 13, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

will nobody think of the rights of the moonmen?????

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
I feel like things are starting to matter...

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1062388112188416004

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Seems to me that the forces of good are winning more often than they're losing in these post-Election Day legal battles.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Seems to me that the forces of good are winning more often than they're losing in these post-Election Day legal battles.

Scott and DeSantis are still very likely to win at the end of this poo poo show. No reason for the judiciary to take a hit in ya reputation when the Republicans get what they want anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Edmund Lava posted:

Scott and DeSantis are still very likely to win at the end of this poo poo show. No reason for the judiciary to take a hit in ya reputation when the Republicans get what they want anyway.

Scott's election basically seems to hinge on if the Broward County undervote is a ballot design issue or a mechanical issue that will be fixed via recount. I see no way DeSantis loses but I would be happy to be wrong.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

evilweasel posted:

will nobody think of the rights of the moonmen?????

Goodbyyyyyeeeee, moonmen

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Scott's election basically seems to hinge on if the Broward County undervote is a ballot design issue or a mechanical issue that will be fixed via recount. I see no way DeSantis loses but I would be happy to be wrong.

What's the deal with the recount deadline? It seems insane that there could be a forced recount but only allow them a few days to do it all by hand (in the event of a hand recount)

I also don't buy the bad design hypothesis, because I can't imagine you shouldn't see it already happen a lot.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Even if only one of the Dems wins, it will be incredibly satisfying to see the GOP lose their poo poo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Space is good and we should spend more money on it because during the Mars rover tank landing from several years ago the greatest icy burn ever happened when a Fox talking head went "what has space ever done for me?" and the science guest went "I'm talking to you through a sat. in space right now."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lemming posted:

What's the deal with the recount deadline? It seems insane that there could be a forced recount but only allow them a few days to do it all by hand (in the event of a hand recount)

I also don't buy the bad design hypothesis, because I can't imagine you shouldn't see it already happen a lot.

Having a deadline makes sense, as it prevents counties from deliberately slow-walking the recount to delay the result as long as possible. It needs to be reasonable so that there's plenty of time to make a good-faith effort to get it done, though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/11/midterm-election-congress-nasa-space/575320/

I say this is a good thing: get the pork-mongering hypocritical Republicans out of the space decisions, and reorient NASA to a more Earth-centric mission focus: climate change monitoring and research, asteroid and CME watching, and satellite upkeep.

All the ISS has proven is humans do not now nor will they ever belong in space. Decommission the ISS, wrap up any current unmanned probe missions, and axe the ones currently being planned. We got minorities dying in the streets to fascists, kids dying in cages, and the loving Earth itself being poached by our own oil obsession; we don't have the luxury to get distracted with this ongoing pie-in-the-sky space boondoggle.

If the Chinese want to waste money, resources, and personnel on that poo poo, I say loving let 'em. We got an all-hands-on-deck situation to deal with as it is.

We have plenty of resources to do both Earth and Space, but you're not interested in hearing that are you.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

glad that’s finally closed

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Having a deadline makes sense, as it prevents counties from deliberately slow-walking the recount to delay the result as long as possible. It needs to be reasonable so that there's plenty of time to make a good-faith effort to get it done, though.

Yeah I mean in this case specifically I hear it's supposed to be Thursday which sounds absurd. I don't hate the idea in general.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Agreed, it’s a fundamentally anti-science view to take. Any sort of program that needs funding can get that funding from the military or raised taxes.

Edit: Apparently Mueller is going after Nigel Farage. I didn’t realize he had connections to Russia, but I doesn’t surprise me either.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...re_iOSApp_Other

I didnt know that pig loving was a federal crime, drat Big Pork and their giant lobby.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

The potential for abuse is staggering though. All it takes is one Republican supervisor in a Democratic County to say “whoops, guess we won’t be making that deadline, guess you’ve got to use our old tally no matter how flawed the process.”

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

It's the same idiot logic as people who think "science" is a monolithic block that should put 100% of its effort into solving the single most important issue to the exclusion of everything else. It's the people who look at things like particle physics and pure mathematics and say "why are they doing that instead of curing cancer?"

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lemming posted:

It could easily happen a lot. Most elections aren’t so close that it affects the result.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

We have plenty of resources to do both Earth and Space, but you're not interested in hearing that are you.

there's a solid argument that the ISS is a waste of resources that could be spent elsewhere on better science

of course defund the military etc. etc. but assuming a fixed budget for "space research" from NASA, to optimize the amount of science being done within that constraint you want to go as automated as possible and remove human beings from orbit. the most useful thing we learn about having people in orbit for long periods of time is how much space totally sucks for our individual health

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

It could easily happen a lot. Most elections aren’t so close that it affects the result.

I guess I just assume that since that ballot design seems pretty standardized that it would've been found out earlier and at the very least the important races wouldn't be put in that spot. This is definitely just a gut feeling and not really based on anything.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sweevo posted:

It's the same idiot logic as people who think "science" is a monolithic block that should put 100% of its effort into solving the single most important issue to the exclusion of everything else. It's the people who look at things like particle physics and pure mathematics and say "why are they doing that instead of curing cancer?"

I'm just enjoying a laugh about "space colonialism" :lol:

Like, what the hell is that? The guy knows that there's nobody living up there currently, right?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

It's people falling victim to the same "HOW ARE YOU GONNA PAY FOR IT?!?!?!" mentality that stands in the way of M4A, free education, etc.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If they need to cut the NASA budget, I'd be happy to spend the next two years in space for free.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

luxury handset posted:

there's a solid argument that the ISS is a waste of resources that could be spent elsewhere on better science

of course defund the military etc. etc. but assuming a fixed budget for "space research" from NASA, to optimize the amount of science being done within that constraint you want to go as automated as possible and remove human beings from orbit. the most useful thing we learn about having people in orbit for long periods of time is how much space totally sucks for our individual health
Unironically, I think it does a lot by just being super cool to laymen that there are people living in loving space. Like, the ISS is a really good propaganda tool for space-based research by just existing. People want to be astronauts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Unironically, I think it does a lot by just being super cool to laymen that there are people living in loving space. Like, the ISS is a really good propaganda tool for space-based research by just existing. People want to be astronauts!

this is one of the biggest advantages to having a permanent presence in low earth orbit but then we're not talking about doing science but rather advocating a pro-space, pro-science agenda. which i am also in favor of but hosting live webstreams from space to inspire elementary school kids is getting away from the conversation of efficiently converting taxpayer dollars into research

so really the biggest reasons to have the ISS are not based in science but in human institutions - the bureaucratic difficulty of actually disposing of the ISS as well as the morale boosting effects of sending scientists into space largely for the excuse to have them be in space for months at a time because it's super cool

i think most people itt aside from space colonialism guy think positively of the ISS, i do too, my dissent comes from my opinion that the ISS is not actually useful for science compared to potential alternatives