Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

FileNotFound posted:

In short - hang on to your plat for things that you CANNOT get any other way.

Or don't, if it will make the game more fun for you with less grind. Spending a few plat here and there on a whim can make the game much more enjoyable and you support the creators. I'll sometimes rush a weapon/frame build or buy ayatan statues because I won't have time to play when they're done and it makes a world of difference. If you love a lovely weapon and it can be made usable with a specific riven, by all means buy one. Buying unvaulted primes is perfectly fine, I'd say buying vaulted ones for 600p is the real whaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I don't mind the wait mostly since i tend to save my money alot for things i feel is a major nessciety. buying plat is fine so as long as it's for crucial stuff.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Psion posted:

only on orb vallis and the plains are you going to run into any issue whatsoever with the range on her 4 and that's really not a huge deal, toggle it on in midair while jumping at distant enemies and you can cover a huge distance ...with murder!

Bullet jumping straight up and pirouetting through the air while killing anything you look at is satisfying in the extreme.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

njsykora posted:

He's the newest prime so he'll be around over a year longer. You have all the time to get him. If you're going to rush any primes, make it Banshee, Euphona and Helios Prime, as they're going to be vaulted when the next Prime set comes out next month.

Also Nova, Mag, Soma, Boar, Dakra and Vasto Prime are all unvaulted today, so get ready to hit the void and hit it hard.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd suggest stocking up on slots first. another incredibly important early purchase is color palettes, because fashionframe is the true core gameplay. but hey, if you don't want to grind for a particular prime then just buy it. it doesn't matter.

still, chroma is probably the least newbie-friendly frame in the game, including the frames that aren't very good in general. while a fully kitted out chroma is monstrously powerful, until you finish the build it is not particularly good at anything. chroma's powers that actually do damage are terrible. for the vaunted giant self-buffs, you need quite a few mods and a whole mess of forma. basically, it requires a lot of time and resources for a frame that is incredibly specialized. however, if you want the Biggest Numbers, chroma can provide that.

Hmm.. maybe I'll try to actually farm for it for a bit and start getting mods leveled up and whatnot before I drop the platinum if it's going to be around for a year and not be good for a while. I do very much want the biggest numbers.

I don't actually know how to get forma at all yet it seems pretty random from the wiki.

Are color palettes just on the market?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

FileNotFound posted:

As a general rule, I do not buy any unvaulted primes.

I poked around the wiki but couldn't figure this out. Are "unvaulted primes" primes that are not in the current vault, primes that have never been in a vault, or something else? If something else, is there a definitive list somewhere?

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Mesa P's passive adds gunkata all the time to all weapons.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

CompeAnansi posted:

I poked around the wiki but couldn't figure this out. Are "unvaulted primes" primes that are not in the current vault, primes that have never been in a vault, or something else? If something else, is there a definitive list somewhere?

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Mastery_Rank

But in short - the following are currently unobtainable without buying from someone:

Frost Prime
Latron Prime
Reaper Prime
Mag Prime
Boar Prime
Dakra Prime
Ember Prime
Sicarus Prime
Glaive Prime
Rhino Prime
Boltor Prime
Ankyros Prime
Loki Prime
Bo Prime
Wyrm Prime
Nyx Prime
Hikou Prime
Scindo Prime
Nova Prime
Soma Prime
Vasto Prime
Volt Prime
Odonata Prime
Ash Prime
Vectis Prime
Carrier Prime
Trinity Prime
Dual Kamas Prime
Saryn Prime
Nikana Prime
Spira Prime
Vauban Prime
Fragor Prime
Akstiletto Prime
Nekros Prime
Galatine Prime
Tigris Prime
Valkyr Prime
Cernos Prime
Venka Prime

To be clear: https://www.warframe.com/news/prime-vault-opening-november-13

These are 'unvaulted' but this is temporary:

· Nova Prime
· Mag Prime
· Soma Prime
· Boar Prime
· Dakra Prime
· Vasto Prime

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CompeAnansi posted:

"Unvaulted" means the primes are freely available through void relic drops. Some of these have never been vaulted, but it's also true of Primes that have been in the vault but are available through relics again for a limited time (usually about 6 weeks). The best place to see what's currently unvaulted is tenno.zone which lets you check what prime parts you're after and then tells you what relics have those parts in and where they drop.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Oh I see. Unvaulted just means currently farmable for a limited time. And there are currently 6 warframes that are still farmable: Choma, Limbo, Zephyr, Mirage, Hydroid, & Oberon.

To push back a bit against the "don't buy currently farmable warframes" suggestion, if you look at the prices for pieces on warframe.market, they are one half to one third the price of vaulted ones. So it'd make sense to buy the pieces before they go back up, probably when their unvaulted time is about up.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

CompeAnansi posted:

To push back a bit against the "don't buy currently farmable warframes" suggestion, if you look at the prices for pieces on warframe.market, they are one half to one third the price of vaulted ones. So it'd make sense to buy the pieces before they go back up, probably when their unvaulted time is about up.

In general you know well before items get vaulted. Moreover, just because a relic stopped dropping doesn't mean the supply is exhausted - people are sitting on large stockpiles of uncracked relics.

Prices go up slowly as a result.

I maintain that you should try to trade with goons in ducat value rather than plat as long as possible.

Valkyr's been vaulted and is still dirt cheap. Hell I've tried to give her away for free.

It's your plat, do what you want with it, but I consider plat for unvaulted items to be squandered.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CompeAnansi posted:

Oh I see. Unvaulted just means currently farmable for a limited time. And there are currently 6 warframes that are still farmable: Choma, Limbo, Zephyr, Mirage, Hydroid, & Oberon.

Banshee Prime is still unvaulted as well, so it's 7. Generally prices on the market drop when a set is unvaulted, and they usually stay lower for a little while afterwards since the parts are much more common afterwards. So don't worry about being in a rush to buy parts coming out of the vault, because they'll probably get cheaper as time goes on and more parts are out there.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
All fair points. I guess I was overestimating how quickly prices will spike. Thanks!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Plus farming them is its own fun. I appreciate my Zephyr and Mirage Primes more than I think I would if I'd just bought the parts.

Mirage Prime especially, with the Immortal skin she's so pretty and fun. :allears:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Speaking of unvaulting,

quote:

PRIME VAULT HAS OPENED!

Nova Prime, Mag Prime, Soma Prime, Boar Prime, Dakra Prime, and Vasto Prime Relics have been added to Plains of Eidolon Bounties, Orb Vallis Bounties, and in the Void drop table.

Contained within some of these newly released Prime Vault Relics, is a brand new Prime weapon - Akvasto Prime; Orokin craftsmanship married with superior firepower. Dual Vastos, primed and ready to strike!

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

CompeAnansi posted:

All fair points. I guess I was overestimating how quickly prices will spike. Thanks!

You can check price history on warframe market.

The reason I suggest ducat value trades is that it's far easier to get an items value in ducats than plat.

Many goons are sitting on giant piles of prime parts that we are too lazy to sell and will only melt them down into ducats. So we do not care if we give a rare prime part for 5 common parts as long as we have same ducat value.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

FileNotFound posted:

Equinox is the best frame in the game for any content sub lvl 20. By far.

Enter mission. Press 4. Walk to the exist. Do 98% of the damage because some dude managed to shoot something once.

With that said - it's not exactly a "thrilling" frame to play when built like this - but if absolute efficiency is what you are after - she can't be beat in low tier.
as someone new who's been playing vanilla excalibur to lvl 30 for 2 days and has been trying to unlock the jumpgate challenges, these kind of smurfs are the absolute worst/boring to run into. Thankfully the beginner playerpool seems deep enough that blocking/avoiding players isn't a necessity (also i don't even know if that's something you can do, besides going friends/solo only).

also the shift ctrl space (space?) e combo is giving my pinky a real workout, do people use custom keybinds to make that less straining or just tough it out?

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

CompeAnansi posted:

Oh I see. Unvaulted just means currently farmable for a limited time.

Strictly speaking, the associated relics are farmable for a limited time. You can crack the relic at any time for a chance at the part.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't believe Akvasto Prime actually happened.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

as someone new who's been playing vanilla excalibur to lvl 30 for 2 days and has been trying to unlock the jumpgate challenges, these kind of smurfs are the absolute worst/boring to run into. Thankfully the beginner playerpool seems deep enough that blocking/avoiding players isn't a necessity (also i don't even know if that's something you can do, besides going friends/solo only).

also the shift ctrl space (space?) e combo is giving my pinky a real workout, do people use custom keybinds to make that less straining or just tough it out?

I "tough out" all the movement stuff, but I did make a keybind for slide attacks when I got Maiming Strike.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I can already hear the yelling from Brozime's Youtube channel over Akvasto Prime

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

FileNotFound posted:

Many goons are sitting on giant piles of prime parts that we are too lazy to sell and will only melt them down into ducats. So we do not care if we give a rare prime part for 5 common parts as long as we have same ducat value.

Ok, I'll ask around in clan chat, then. I am looking to pick up a couple new prime frames for the sake of variety.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You're running into people who are trying to finish their nodes for Arbys.

Trust me, I don't want to be doing lvl 15 content at all - but game forces me to in order to crack relics/nitain alerts etc

So - turn on netflix and enjoy the ride because I'm not slowing down the murder train.

Nobody "smurfs" in Warframe, we got better things to do than join low tier crap to flex on lowbies.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 13, 2018

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Night10194 posted:

I can't believe Akvasto Prime actually happened.

I've been holding onto a +crit% +multi +elec Akvasto riven for nearly two years in the hopes of this very thing happening :haw:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DoombatINC posted:

Speaking of unvaulting,

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

FileNotFound posted:

You're running into people who are trying to finish their nodes for Arbys.

Trust me, I don't want to be doing lvl 15 content at all - but game forces me to in order to crack relics/nitain alerts etc
I don't know what the means exactly but i'm guessing the game has these concurrent objectives which collide with those given to other players and they can't be done solo? That's puzzling design.
though i guess only a mild inconvenience as most missions are incredibly short or without penalty for leaving.

It's a bit odd to me that after hitting max rank on your class and weapons, estimating a random players build strength is entirely opaque beyond the obvious "incredibly gaudy/expensive looking colors probably knows a thing or two(hundred) about the top meta builds". Suicidal glass cannon without mods that runs off on their own into a meatgrinder of death? Highly specialized top tier mods build that clears and finishes the map before you can drop out of the loading screen? Only time will tell.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

I've been holding onto a +crit% +multi +elec Akvasto riven for nearly two years in the hopes of this very thing happening :haw:

Log on and sell that right the gently caress now, and congrats on being space rich

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I don't know what the means exactly but i'm guessing the game has these concurrent objectives which collide with those given to other players and they can't be done solo? That's puzzling design.

So a few weeks back DE released a new ultra high tier mission type called "arbitration" .

It came with a catch.

You had to have finished EVERY single node on the star map.

So I many rank 20+ players ended up having to go back to earth to finish whatever they skipped over previously.

This is why you are encountering well geared vets in some lowbie missions. They just want to finish that mission and bail.

The rest you probably aren't seeing yet -

Nitain alerts cover entire level range and everyone always needs nitain and we're going to pack the frame that gets us in and out fastest. Sure it can be soloed - but majority of warframe players don't give a poo poo if someone carries them through an alert.

Lith relics contain prime parts and missions to crack them are generally under lvl 20. No matter how uber you are, you need to crack lith relics at some point. Sooo off we go with the uber map wipe kill frame - and nobody sane solo's relics.

Also worth mentioning:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1303185143

This is a solid guide for resource farming - and the reason you care is that some of these nodes are low tier and do get farmed regularly by vets.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 13, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Log on and sell that right the gently caress now, and congrats on being space rich
i have a fire rate, magazine size, and 245 precent damage akvasto riven i actually leveled to max and used for a bit before deciding i didn't like the akvasto

it's unrolled

the only reason i'm not demanding a kings ransom or two for it right now is that i am literally posting this from in bed

also id need to do a bunch of index to get the money to pay for the plat trade tax and im way too tired for that

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Pendent posted:

Not too fussed about Banshee though- her kit never clicked with me.

She has two augments that radically improve her: one which makes her 1 strip 70% of target armour, and Resonating Quake, which clears whole tiles of lower tier opponents and makes a useful panic button versus tougher ones. Get those before you write her off; she became my main once I did.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kyrosiris posted:

I snagged the cowboy hat tennogen for her and I have zero regrets.

Respect the Falcon hat! Also, she's the only reason I keep hoping beyond hope for AkMagnus Prime.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Also I had to do one of those wave survival missions, there was some pubbie named "callmelazy" or something, and he just stood without moving and kept casting some kind of white vortex that annihilated everything on the map. I think we did like 7 rounds that way before he opted for extraction. What was he playing? I assume he was vastly overlevelled. I got like 40 mods from that one mission, lol

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Pipski posted:

She has two augments that radically improve her: one which makes her 1 strip 70% of target armour, and Resonating Quake, which clears whole tiles of lower tier opponents and makes a useful panic button versus tougher ones. Get those before you write her off; she became my main once I did.

see alternatively https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Resonance

Zero VGS posted:

Also I had to do one of those wave survival missions, there was some pubbie named "callmelazy" or something, and he just stood without moving and kept casting some kind of white vortex that annihilated everything on the map. I think we did like 7 rounds that way before he opted for extraction. What was he playing? I assume he was vastly overlevelled. I got like 40 mods from that one mission, lol

Sounds like Limbo's Cataclysm or Equinox's Maim.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Could also be Frost with a big range on Avalanche?

So I experimented a bit with the new baits. Tromyzon bait seems pretty drat good for rep. All you need to do is catch two and you're guaranteed to at least break even. I have a booster up, but 5 got me like 20k rep's worth of fish between the random types. So 500 in, ~10k out? I could also be counting wrong, but I caught a LOT of Tromyzon and Recasters. Not high enough rank yet to try the Synathid bait.

Anyone had much luck with Charamote bait? I feel like having to find a cave hotspot is a major hassle compared to a pond.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 13, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RoadCrewWorker posted:

though i guess only a mild inconvenience as most missions are incredibly short or without penalty for leaving.

It's a bit odd to me that after hitting max rank on your class and weapons, estimating a random players build strength is entirely opaque beyond the obvious "incredibly gaudy/expensive looking colors probably knows a thing or two(hundred) about the top meta builds". Suicidal glass cannon without mods that runs off on their own into a meatgrinder of death? Highly specialized top tier mods build that clears and finishes the map before you can drop out of the loading screen? Only time will tell.

This is inherent to how Warframe is designed. Level means nothing, mods are everything. The level of your warframe and weapon is a means to facilitate slotting more and better mods, mods are progress and the absolute measure of how far you are in the game.

Given that the difference between a good mod set up and a bad mod setup that both use the same mod capacity can be so vast, there really is no way to determine anything useful from level.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'd say Mastery Rank is a good way to estimate build strength, or at least the best one you have at face value.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

If it looked like a big globe then it was a Limbo.
Spamming his 4 works wonders in low level missions because he can kill everything on the whole map in 2 seconds but it very quickly stops working after lvl 20-40ish

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

nerdz posted:

I'd say Mastery Rank is a good way to estimate build strength, or at least the best one you have at face value.

If you could see forma count, it'd probably be a good way - but you can't. Which is good.

DE doesn't want people to know how good/bad someone's build it just by looking at some stat.

There is already plenty of spergy elitism in warframe if you're trying to do dolons etc

DE intentionally wants to keep that kinda of crap to a minimum - so there will never really be a way for you to just look at someone and say "Yup that's a 5 forma frame full of primed mods!"

Because if you could do that - what you'll get is people who will post poo poo like : LF 3x3 Dolons - Bring 5 forma frame with primed mods or GTFO!

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Mimesweeper posted:

this is mine, you don't need to be this min maxed to have a good time but this is pretty much peak Chroma. because of recent changes to make his armor buffs additive instead of multiplicative it's not really worth using armor mods or ice element 2 anymore.

I've seen it mentioned a few times that Chroma prime actually gets more EHP out of ice even despite the scaling changes, regular chroma does gain more from fire though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

DE doesn't want people to know how good/bad someone's build it just by looking at some stat.

Of course, you can look for whether they have Corrosive Projection and honestly be on the right track most of the time. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Got some plat to spend, suggest me a great package to buy from the prime vault.