Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

m.hache posted:

Anyone else experiencing this when you're playing online?

A bit, on PS4, but that was when I was playing from Sydney with a friend in San Diego, so y'know..

That said if the host has a lovely connection it's gonna be rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

A bit, on PS4, but that was when I was playing from Sydney with a friend in San Diego, so y'know..

That said if the host has a lovely connection it's gonna be rough.

Ok cool. Good to know there aren't dedicated servers and it's host based. I quit 3 times and it dropped me back in the same room. I'll see about limiting my connections to NA only.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

m.hache posted:

Ok cool. Good to know there aren't dedicated servers and it's host based. I quit 3 times and it dropped me back in the same room. I'll see about limiting my connections to NA only.

There should be an option in the settings that's "limit to my country" or something like that which is on by default. That said, if you're really having a rough time of it you can always host the game instead of quick-joining someone elses and make everyone else deal with the connection issues :unsmigghh:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I got my first SoJ when one of you joined for a few rifts :3

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

onesixtwo posted:

I got my first SoJ when one of you joined for a few rifts :3

What is the value of SoJs, anyway? Outside of nostalgia for D2. I've found 2 this season, neither that great other than the unique bonus, such is alright and all but I don't think it outweighs the bonuses from my other two rings.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Fuzz posted:

What is the value of SoJs, anyway? Outside of nostalgia for D2. I've found 2 this season, neither that great other than the unique bonus, such is alright and all but I don't think it outweighs the bonuses from my other two rings.

No idea in terms of d3 builds or value at all for long term. Mine was a good timed upgrade, and the 30% bonus damage to elites is awesome for a ring.

vvv yeah! Glad you joined in and got 70! Gonna be doing more rifts for a bit. Trying to get non-one hit splat in grift 40+, getting closer every rift.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 13, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey Yev thanks to letting me party crash. Hope I wasn’t a burden. I saw you online and hadn’t really played online yet. You took me from 62 to Paragon 18 inside of about 8 minutes. Unintended but much welcome consequences, lol!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 13, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

It's one of those "varies by builds" things. If you've got a build that has a "dead" slot where there's no actually-super-useful legendaries for it, legendaries that don't have unique bonuses tend to have an extra affix or two that can end up being better for raw damage. Stone of Jordan is a ring that falls under that umbrella, Witching Hour is a belt that frequently shows up in builds for similar reasons.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There should be an option in the settings that's "limit to my country" or something like that which is on by default. That said, if you're really having a rough time of it you can always host the game instead of quick-joining someone elses and make everyone else deal with the connection issues :unsmigghh:

I tried that earlier and found one person. If I had to guess matchmaking just sucks at lower levels this late into the season (did the season start late for switch users?)

I should be 70 tonight. I'll see what's up then

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

MikoLovesYou posted:

I found a Jesseth 1h and shield, but neither are ancient and I'm taking a huge DPS hit on paper swapping from my 4.7k dps two hander. I should wait on swapping until I find an ancient version of the Jesseth set, right? Or is the DPS boost enough to ignore the sheet DPS? I tried using it in a rift and didn't do so hot, but maybe it's because I'm not used to it.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm dead RIP. When's season 16 start?

EDIT x 2: If anyone pities me and wants to boost me, hmu: SW-5660-6002-8924

I switched to a Jesseth sword & shield, at what appeared to close to a 100k attack drop, but was able to move up from T6 to T8 with it. It may depend on how you're playing. If you're in full Rathma's, in order to fully benefit from Jesseth's, is throwing those skeletons around. Frenzy is the best rune for them. Unleash them on a large number of enemies when they get on screen, while keeping skeletal mages up, and they will have zero chill ripping around the screen until stuff is gone.
Earlier today I added Focus and Restraint in, they also were at a slight deficit to my attack total, but I jumped from T8 to T11. I've even gone this whole time without seeing a Naijol ring drop. Gets a little tedious keeping on the mages, but what can you do. Meanwhile I've been through about three Kelun's necks.
Speaking of, if you (or any other necro newbie reading) are being held back a bit because it seems your damage is up there but you're kind of squishy, use Bone Armor.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to communicate with each other on the switch?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I accidentally lead another player into a Greater Rift quite stronger than either of us could handle, and I bailed after dying twelve times in a row. Sorry dude.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

m.hache posted:

Is there any way to communicate with each other on the switch?

Literally none afaik, can’t even ping.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Clicking in R3 is a ping of sorts locally, does that not do anything online? thats lame!

I ended up getting quite a few upgrades, and got my defensive legendary gems upgraded to 25+ each. Those really helped with the random just, always damage present in greater rifts. Did two 45s in a row without dying in about 7 minutes before quitting for the evening.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

loving Nintendo cannot figure out the most basic amenities for a social network, that Sony and Microsoft have essentially done all the work for them by now.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

5er posted:

loving Nintendo cannot figure out the most basic amenities for a social network, that Sony and Microsoft have essentially done all the work for them by now.

Nintendo has the attitude that they aren’t in competition with anyone else, so they do not pay any attention to the rest of the industry. This leads to things like the epic Wii Music E3 presentation and an online system that makes AOL circa 1998 look good.

Maybe once all the baby boomers in their management have aged out and died off they will come into the 2000s, but don’t hold your breath.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

onesixtwo posted:

Clicking in R3 is a ping of sorts locally, does that not do anything online? thats lame!

I may have lied, if “beam of light over your head” pings the map for other people. That functionality just isn’t documented anywhere on the “these are the controls” screen :downs:

Speaking of which, are all the console ports as locked down rebinding-wise? Going to “controls” just gives you a static image of control bindings which feels like something out of 2000

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

I may have lied, if “beam of light over your head” pings the map for other people. That functionality just isn’t documented anywhere on the “these are the controls” screen :downs:

Speaking of which, are all the console ports as locked down rebinding-wise? Going to “controls” just gives you a static image of control bindings which feels like something out of 2000

PS3, PS4 and the Xbox 360 and One versions have Elective Mode, which allows complete rebinding of all button commands.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Deadguy2322 posted:

PS3, PS4 and the Xbox 360 and One versions have Elective Mode, which allows complete rebinding of all button commands.

No, I mean rebinding buttons, not abilities. Like "I want to be able to click R3 to cast a spell and press X to bring up the season journey" kind of deal.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Deadguy2322 posted:

Switch has elective mode as well.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hit 70. Got 4/6 rathma. Now to try to slog T4 for 6 piece. I may just grind some bounties and gamble for Jesse's set for that little boost.

Not sure what to level next. I want something a little more impactful. Not sure what melee look like in S15. Either way I have a bunch of rifts ahead of me.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

5er posted:

I switched to a Jesseth sword & shield, at what appeared to close to a 100k attack drop, but was able to move up from T6 to T8 with it. It may depend on how you're playing. If you're in full Rathma's, in order to fully benefit from Jesseth's, is throwing those skeletons around. Frenzy is the best rune for them. Unleash them on a large number of enemies when they get on screen, while keeping skeletal mages up, and they will have zero chill ripping around the screen until stuff is gone.
Earlier today I added Focus and Restraint in, they also were at a slight deficit to my attack total, but I jumped from T8 to T11. I've even gone this whole time without seeing a Naijol ring drop. Gets a little tedious keeping on the mages, but what can you do. Meanwhile I've been through about three Kelun's necks.
Speaking of, if you (or any other necro newbie reading) are being held back a bit because it seems your damage is up there but you're kind of squishy, use Bone Armor.

With jesseths and f&r I rip through T13 but it's too squishy to enjoy. Even with bone armor up I'm getting one shotted a half dozen times per rift because I suck at dodging. Hoping that the extra DR from compass Rose will help make it more fun to speed run T13 and push past GR65.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm having a blast with Necro and DH. Not sure about my Crusader though. I'm only lvl 23, what skills should I be rocking best?

MikoLovesYou
Nov 20, 2003

I came here tonight with my...self. Oh God.
Anyone interested in grinding a lv1 HC season char today? I've killed 2 more characters since I last posted and I think I need a friend

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Icy Veins Necor post posted:

The primary dynamic of the leveling and fresh 70 build revolves around building up power through Corpses and releasing it through minion summons. Weaving Bone Spikes Bone Spikes into the constant Corpse consumption from Devour Devour Devouring Aura Devouring Aura will top your Essence off at regular intervals and allows you to dump your entire reserve into powerful Skeletal Mage Skeletal Mage Singularity Singularity summons. In the meantime, sic your Command Skeletons Command Skeletons on larger, more resilient targets and enfeeble as many targets as you can with the Frailty Frailty curse. Remember to reposition as needed with Blood Rush Blood Rush to stay safe from the minion frontline.

So I gave this build a shot last night and I found it to be quite boring. Every attack seemed so passive. I very much enjoy Corpse Lance, Skeleton Mage Archer, Skeleton Army, Bone Armor, and drain.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i got full 6/6 unhallowed on my DH. still hunting for Yang's recurve, but blowing poo poo up is fun.

i think i'm gonna make a monk next. i need a melee character, and despite owning this game on PC since it came out, i've never leveled a monk.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

and looking at this list, i'm realizing i've seen every unique bow except Yang's.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm using Rathma on my necromancer, the IV build recommends using legendary rings (convention of elements and krysbins sentence) instead of F&R, is that truly going to be better for pushing? F&R are so good! I have all four of the rings I listed, and the legendary ones are actually ancients, if that helps make the decision.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Beastie posted:

So I gave this build a shot last night and I found it to be quite boring. Every attack seemed so passive. I very much enjoy Corpse Lance, Skeleton Mage Archer, Skeleton Army, Bone Armor, and drain.

I've heard more than one person complain about that leveling build/Rathma builds for that very reason. I find it fun mainly because it actually feels like what I imagine a necromancer would be: sitting behind pets that have been empowered through the acquisition of powerful artifacts,

Unless you actually care about pushing leaderboards though, I feel like it's more important do what's fun over what's "the most efficient."

Emron posted:

I'm using Rathma on my necromancer, the IV build recommends using legendary rings (convention of elements and krysbins sentence) instead of F&R, is that truly going to be better for pushing? F&R are so good! I have all four of the rings I listed, and the legendary ones are actually ancients, if that helps make the decision.

Yes, CoE and Krysbins are probably going to help you see the largest increase in your DPS, all other things being equal, but it requires a little more attention on your part since you want to weave your Mage summons when the physical buff is up. I hate CoE builds because the Buff/Debuff UI is inexcusably poo poo so it makes it hard to quickly determine which buff you have up while in the thick of things. Krysbins is good if you're using anything that CCs like Bone Spike(Sudden Impact), Skeletons(Freezing Grasp), or Land of the Dead(Frozen Lands), but the only ring that I think is really required for the Skele Mage build is Nailuj.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 13, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah it is way more fun to me to spawn a shitload of archers while building essence through bone spear, and unleashing more archers. Once I have a few corpses around I hit drain and launch the lances.

Going from 15 enemies, to 13 enemies, activating bone lance and watching the chain reaction is just loving cool.

Same with corpse explosion, but the screen got a little too busy for me in handheld.

I really dig this game. I keep bugging the lady of the house to join in but she isn't having it.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 13, 2018

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

So F&R is going to be less damage but only if I perfectly hit my cooldowns at the optimal time? I'm not going to push for leaderboards, this is strictly a bedtime grinding game first me, so F&R seems like more mindless fun.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Emron posted:

So F&R is going to be less damage but only if I perfectly hit my cooldowns at the optimal time? I'm not going to push for leaderboards, this is strictly a bedtime grinding game first me, so F&R seems like more mindless fun.

Think about it this way: F&R will get you 125% (edit: bonuses across items like this are multiplicative, not additive, so the bonus for F&R is actually 125% instead of 100%) damage increase for almost 100% of the fight if you're pumping out mages and spamming bone spikes.

CoE will get you potentially 200% damage increase (if your ring trait max rolls or it's your cube power) for 4 second every 24 seconds.

Krysbins will get you potentially 300% damage increase (same caveat as CoE) for the enemies that your bone spike stun/freezing skeletons/Land of the Dead freeze affects.

Also, like F&R, these bonuses are multiplicative.

The potential increase for CoE/Krysbins is way higher than F&R, but requires actively paying attention.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 13, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I am on the last item of the 2nd tier of the Seasonal Challenges. Craft a level 70 armor or weapon. I am low on Reusable parts. I am salvaging poo poo but maybe the poo poo is too good? How can I get less good poo poo and salvage it?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

You need to salvage white items.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

You need to salvage white items.

Easiest way to get white items? My drops are mostly higher up stuff now...

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

therein lies the rub. i haven't played D3 in a while, but i remember white items becoming, strangely, more rare than rares or magic items.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Feenix posted:

Easiest way to get white items? My drops are mostly higher up stuff now...

Look for interactables (Weapon Rack, Armor Rack, etc.). Those are about 95-100% gray or white drops.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Feenix posted:

So I am on the last item of the 2nd tier of the Seasonal Challenges. Craft a level 70 armor or weapon. I am low on Reusable parts. I am salvaging poo poo but maybe the poo poo is too good? How can I get less good poo poo and salvage it?

If you have a Kanai's Cube, one white item and 100x Veiled Crystals or Arcane Dust can be converted into 100x Reusable Parts. Assuming you have a ton of either of those, jump into a normal rift, knock over any armor stands you find, and convert whatever you have more of back down.

Barring that, most of your Reusable Parts at higher levels come from direct drops from Rift Guardians or Treasure Goblins

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

No, I mean rebinding buttons, not abilities. Like "I want to be able to click R3 to cast a spell and press X to bring up the season journey" kind of deal.

The PS4’s Accessibility settings allow full button remapping, but prompts don’t always change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I've heard more than one person complain about that leveling build/Rathma builds for that very reason. I find it fun mainly because it actually feels like what I imagine a necromancer would be: sitting behind pets that have been empowered through the acquisition of powerful artifacts,

Unless you actually care about pushing leaderboards though, I feel like it's more important do what's fun over what's "the most efficient."

Yes, CoE and Krysbins are probably going to help you see the largest increase in your DPS, all other things being equal, but it requires a little more attention on your part since you want to weave your Mage summons when the physical buff is up. I hate CoE builds because the Buff/Debuff UI is inexcusably poo poo so it makes it hard to quickly determine which buff you have up while in the thick of things. Krysbins is good if you're using anything that CCs like Bone Spike(Sudden Impact), Skeletons(Freezing Grasp), or Land of the Dead(Frozen Lands), but the only ring that I think is really required for the Skele Mage build is Nailuj.

And the guy recommends cubing Nailuj, right?

It's one of the rings I'm trying to get now.