Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'll get it if it's gifted to me, but otherwise I'm focusing my time on other games. That said, the game does look really charming and there's a bunch of features I hope make their way to Gen 8, even if we know GF's track record with that.

Also the LG only Pikachu/Eevee move names are cute and also so not worth melting down about in a game series that already has a move that does nothing but release confetti and congratulate the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Earnestly posted:

Someone should lock this thread until people on both sides of this really dumb argument learn to make better burns

Discussion of how Baddy Bad Let's Go might be will keep this thread alive until next year.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Pokemon Thready Thread 8.0

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Crosspeice posted:

Discussion of how Baddy Bad Let's Go might be will keep this thread alive until next year.

would have been a perfect 10 but the move names sucked so it's an 8.8

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Burny Burns are serious medical issues.

Hah! You better have BURN HEAL!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The transliteration of Sizzly Slide is "[SFX of burning] Burn" so they could've named it Sizzling Strike or something and sound less bad while keeping the alliteration. Buzzy Buzz could've been Buzzy Bolt or something. The translation of the names just sound so :effort:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

The transliteration of Sizzly Slide is "[SFX of burning] Burn" so they could've named it Sizzling Strike or something and sound less bad while keeping the alliteration. Buzzy Buzz could've been Buzzy Bolt or something. The translation of the names just sound so :effort:

At least the Italian name sounds like something Guy Fieri would say when he's having a stroke.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mordor She Wrote posted:

At least the Italian name sounds like something Guy Fieri would say when he's having a stroke.

actually can I just have the german names for the eevee moves?

Everything else needs to stay in english but "Knisterladung" is way better than Buzzy Buzz.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ariong posted:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

You know what's a weird thing to consider? Togetic, Lucario, Pikachu, Wobbuffet, and Marill are all essentially the same stage of Pokemon (basic form evolved from a baby), yet they occupy such wild stat differentials. Thought of this while considering the idea of Let's Go, Marill and Let's Go, Togepi.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

From the minds that brought you the pokemon names Thunder and Thunders.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Kurieg posted:

actually can I just have the german names for the eevee moves?

Everything else needs to stay in english but "Knisterladung" is way better than Buzzy Buzz.

I only took like a bit of German in college, but the Bouncy Bubble seems to be "bubble sucker" or something along those lines

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Golden Gael posted:

You know what's a weird thing to consider? Togetic, Lucario, Pikachu, Wobbuffet, and Marill are all essentially the same stage of Pokemon (basic form evolved from a baby), yet they occupy such wild stat differentials. Thought of this while considering the idea of Let's Go, Marill and Let's Go, Togepi.

I wouldn't put Lucario or Wobbuffet in that category since they don't evolve while Pikachu, Marill, and Togetic do.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

I wouldn't put Lucario or Wobbuffet in that category since they don't evolve while Pikachu, Marill, and Togetic do.

solution, Wobbuffet evolution.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Moriatti posted:

Hey, what if instead of different versions, the Switch Pokemon randomized your pokemon per savefile? Like, for one slot it could be Pidgey. Starly or Braviary depending on your seed.

So you'd never know what you get and finding someone that could trade you that Pokemon would become far harder, in a game that has always been extremely against you resetting because they never have more than one save file and thus have no replayability whatsoever?

It's about as good of an idea as a game that lets you go anywhere you want and a game with all regions.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dienes posted:

From the minds that brought you the pokemon names Thunder and Thunders.

Seel, Golem, Timburr, Gurdurr, Bayleef, Beedrill, Muk, Ducklett, Onix, etc.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

So you'd never know what you get and finding someone that could trade you that Pokemon would become far harder, in a game that has always been extremely against you resetting because they never have more than one save file and thus have no replayability whatsoever?

It's about as good of an idea as a game that lets you go anywhere you want and a game with all regions.

I don't think he's saying that, but since we have so many pokemon for different routes from different generations, you could easily make like different "load outs" for routes and just have what doesn't show up be post game or show up after a certain point, like "pidgey can only be obtained once you get cut and is found in that patch of grass" or something.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Okay, here’s what really matters: What sorts of outfits can I get and my Eevee get????

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Nanigans posted:

Okay, here’s what really matters: What sorts of outfits can I get and my Eevee get????

Much like real animals, I'm anti putting clothing on my pokemon, they are battle slaves and they don't deserve clothing.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
what if the clothes are the Pokémon, like with Sawk and Throh

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

less laughter posted:

what if the clothes are the Pokémon, like with Sawk and Throh

That's flesh and the belts are hair

e: actually, now i really wanna see the pokemon with 'clothes' in the movie. Show me the texture of Machamp's speedo and belt

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

e: actually, now i really wanna see the pokemon with 'clothes' in the movie. Show me the texture of Machamp's speedo and belt

Sylveon doesn't have fur, it's just weird and fleshy, even the ribbons.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ariong posted:

please dont troll, this isnt gen 8

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Only reason I do is because Togekiss came at a later generation. Togetic and Lucario were in the same position before that happened, though Togetic got an evolution and Lucario a Mega-Evolution.

It's fun to think of these things though, like how Pinsir and Heracross are "fully evolved" yet their counterpart Scyther, who for all intents and purposes was in a similar boat at one point, has both an evolution and a mega for that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

the belts are vines op

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Mr. Mime has “shoes”.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

its pubes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nanigans posted:

Hopefully a sailor suit so I can teach my Eevee Bouncy Bubble and name him Josuke.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Over the past 20 years Mr. Mime has gone from a Pokemon I feared and detested to wholly lovable. I think it's because it was basically a free Alakazam in Yellow and swept the gently caress outta everything. The iteration in DP should be downright disgusting but I actually find him kinda cute and want to own one.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

please dont troll, this isnt gen 8

Pokemon Thready Thread Let's.Go

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Not sure why this is stuck in my craw right now, but I've got to get it out:

Gamefreak shouldn't remake Diamond and Pearl, they should just remake Platinum. Platinum was so much better than the other two versions in every possible way. Polished Platinum is the way to go.

I know it won't happen, because they need to always make at least two versions, but it should.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 13, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
HGSS were Crystal remakes so there is a precedent. ORAS included none of the improvements from Emerald and were all the worse for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Not sure why this is stuck in my craw right now, but I've got to get it out:

Gamefreak shouldn't remake Diamond and Pearl, they should just remake Platinum. Platinum was so much better than the other two version in every possible way. Polished Platinum is the way to go.

I know it won't happen, because they need to always make at least two versions, but it should.

I agree with this, Platinum ruled, D/P were the lame beta versions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
ORAS loving sucked bad

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so theyre not gonna announce anything about bank before launch huh

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My impossible dream is Black Diamond and White Pearl, collapsing two remakes into one and allowing you to choose Sinnoh or Unova as your starting area. Whichever one you don't pick becomes the second half of your game.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

less laughter posted:

HGSS were Crystal remakes so there is a precedent. ORAS included none of the improvements from Emerald and were all the worse for it.

Eh, kinda. It tacked them onto the postgame (Rayquaza preventing the apocalypse storyline, Wallace's champion team in lieu of Steven as the hidden champion from Emerald). Rayquaza's plot relevance is thus akin to that of Suicune in HGSS; alluded to in the story but tacked on in the post game. You get all the QOL improvements that Emerald established (naturally), you still get a Johto starter, and Flannery has a bit of much needed diversity on her lovely team. It was inexcusable to get rid of Mirage Tower (especially with how played up Mirages seem to be in the game, what with Hoopa and all), but thank god they didn't bring back the "Hoenn Dex only through the story" stipulation.

It also made the game a bit longer by expanding the routes and having the stopover at Southern Island. Most of the added stuff is patchwork made up of past external events, but that's alright. It's neat that two past mythicals (Deoxys and Celebi) are no longer finite in any capacity.

The only reason HGSS had the Battle Frontier was because it was easier to leave it in than to replace it with *just* a Battle Tower since the games are basically GF-designed hacks of Platinum. This is why we got the Battle Maison in ORAS, though it was a dick move to reference the Frontier at all.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Remakes of Gen IV and up would really be a waste of time. The graphics, sound and memory don't suffer from super limited hardware like Gen I-II did. And IV was the last Gen that really had any significant overhaul to the game systems. At best you'd get a few retconned fairy-types and some Mega's. There's nothing integral to update like breeding, the Special split, abilities, the attack split, etc.