Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the sham investigation into jane sanders is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

mistaya posted:

Um, since when does the First Lady get to randomly fire people in the White House staff...? The only reason I can think of for this happening is stupid reality TV show poo poo that I don't even want to say out loud.

I think that normally the First Lady would just convince her husband to do it since, you know, he's the president. But since he's a coward and wouldn't do it even if she could convince him and, even then, the two of them are barley on speaking terms, I guess this is the way it's done now.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Isn't the whole writen questions thing a Rudy obsession? When ever I see a "source" talking about Mueller's written questions I immediately think it's a Rudy lie/leak.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1062446554508943362

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

mistaya posted:

Um, since when does the First Lady get to randomly fire people in the White House staff...? The only reason I can think of for this happening is stupid reality TV show poo poo that I don't even want to say out loud.

This is literally a beef about plane seating arrangements and possible negative leaks to the media.

Real Housewives WISHES they could get this plotline.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/shanedkavanaugh/status/1062078312921460737?s=21

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

will the dems ever actually stand up for their constituents instead of immediately folding to megacorps?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

JasonV posted:

I think that normally the First Lady would just convince her husband to do it since, you know, he's the president. But since he's a coward and wouldn't do it even if she could convince him and, even then, the two of them are barley on speaking terms, I guess this is the way it's done now.

enraged_camel posted:

She didn't fire just a random staffer. She fired a national security advisor's aide.

this 100% didn't happen

not only is the person not actually fired, the first lady definitely isn't doing the firing. seriously think about it for a second

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I suspect that after that masterstroke of a press conference he had on the 7th they're doing everything they can to keep him out of public view.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Condiv posted:

will the dems ever actually stand up for their constituents instead of immediately folding to megacorps?

Buh buh buh Uncle Phil does so much for the communities of Oregon! :qq:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So it's extremely important for the media to shine lights on all this poo poo, and the more attention it gets the less likely it is to actually happen if there's a good public backlash, but the fact that they're doing this at all after being given a mandate to govern for the people is going to depress any enthusiasm for voting for them in the future. I guess they've been getting away with it for so long that it hasn't mattered and personal enrichment is just better for corporate dems than good governance.

:suicide:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

I have questions about this bit in particular:

quote:

Senate President Peter Courtney, D-Salem, said he doesn't expect the broader business community to support lawmakers' push to raise business taxes. He accused businesses of burning him "very badly" when they stalled Democrats' attempt to pass a gross receipts tax in 2017 by insisting public pension savings were a prerequisite.

Clicked through the relevant link:

quote:

SALEM -- Democratic leaders conceded on Thursday that they've given up on making major changes to Oregon's business tax system until at least 2019.

Gov. Kate Brown said that also means the state will not move ahead with any significant effort to rein in public pension costs this session. Oregon's pension fund has a $22 billion long-term deficit, but Democrats had said they would only pass meaningful changes to tackle that issue if Republicans and businesses supported a corporate tax increase.

"It is very clear it was tied to revenue reform," Brown said of a bill to curb pension costs, acknowledging it is now dead.

I could use some Oregoon input here. The way both these things read, there's an easy fix to both pensions and taxation, and now that the Senate president got hosed over, he's into his feelings and just trying to get ANY tax reform done, pensions be damned. And gently caress that. Pensions are promises.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

So Oregon is just like Washington in that Boeing plays the state like a fiddle.

(Context) Boeing demands huge tax breaks or they will leave... and then they move groups to different states anyway.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's funny because if he went to House Democrats and asked for all the things he promised during the campaign that Republicans would never ever bring up for a vote, like a huge-rear end infrastructure spending bill and universal healthcare and an end to tax loopholes for the very rich, he would go down as the most popular President in almost a century

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/taber/status/1062362444213960710

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Things like this drive me up a wall. Like, this is awful stuff and I'd love to see real pushback, like with phonecalls, protests and primary challenges. Yet if she also protects/grows LGBTQ rights, abortion rights, tackles Gerrymandering and voting rights and increases the Democrats' hold on the state, should I feel so terrible? My first instinct is to go "....why did Democrats even bother voting for you if you were going to swerve Right like this?" I sorta feel like my extreme discomfort for supporting right-leaning Democrats (if you can call them that) is something childish and rather I should focus on the positives of ppl like her being in these positions of power, right?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Your post has made our glorious job creators uneasy. You must immediately perform penance with the remaining available balance on all of your credit cards.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Things like this drive me up a wall. Like, this is awful stuff and I'd love to see real pushback, like with phonecalls, protests and primary challenges. Yet if she also protects/grows LGBTQ rights, abortion rights, tackles Gerrymandering and voting rights and increases the Democrats' hold on the state, should I feel so terrible? My first instinct is to go "....why did Democrats even bother voting for you if you were going to swerve Right like this?" I sorta feel like my extreme discomfort for supporting right-leaning Democrats (if you can call them that) is something childish and rather I should focus on the positives of ppl like her being in these positions of power, right?

You call, you protest, you try to primary them from the left. In the end you vote for them if the primary doesn't work because the alternative is taking away personhood from trans people. Sometimes you get AOC and that's cool but sometimes you have to settle and that's not cool but not the end of the world. What is the end of the world is letting Republicans have control again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Push El Burrito posted:

You call, you protest, you try to primary them from the left. In the end you vote for them if the primary doesn't work because the alternative is taking away personhood from trans people. Sometimes you get AOC and that's cool but sometimes you have to settle and that's not cool but not the end of the world. What is the end of the world is letting Republicans have control again.

unfortunately dems like above are gonna help get repubs in control again by giving handouts to megacorps. so it's doubly imperative to scare them into doing the right thing before they help the republicans by doing the wrong thing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bloody Pancreas posted:

That's the thing. Call your reps and shout and moan and protest in the strongest possible non-lunatic terms because since your state has a Dem supermajority it might actually make a difference, whereas if your state had a GOP majority they'd just tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/PaulBlu/status/1062404457407877121

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Taerkar posted:

I suspect that after that masterstroke of a press conference he had on the 7th they're doing everything they can to keep him out of public view.

Is that the one where he went out of his way to call black female reporters losers who don't know what they're doing/talking about?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

This was everything I feared from an Amazon entry into NoVA. Renaming entire towns, doing just enough infrastructure to help themselves and no one else, giveaways on par with selling off the HOV lanes, oh and the side effect of making everyone who even thought about living near the city head off into Manassas, where hope goes to die.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zwabu posted:

Is that the one where he went out of his way to call black female reporters losers who don't know what they're doing/talking about?

And where he did the name and shame of the Republican candidates who didn't kiss his rings and lost.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

theCalamity posted:

Nike founder Phil Knight tries to buy election for GOP gov candidate

You'd think they'd at least take this poo poo personally, but nope. <_<

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1062511830818525184
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1062515723799592960

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

So is this the kind of thing that might make a difference in the runoff? We were joking that only if some pedo stuff came out like Roy Moore would it flip....but...referencing lynching? Thats uh...something.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Taerkar posted:

And where he did the name and shame of the Republican candidates who didn't kiss his rings and lost.

Yeah. Hard to believe but I think he is actually getting worse, more disinhibited. He used to confine his nastier crazier poo poo mainly to rallies but now it's spilling over into real life.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems like an exceptional amount of close races that ultimately tip dem this year, or is it not out of the ordinary?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

So is this the kind of thing that might make a difference in the runoff? We were joking that only if some pedo stuff came out like Roy Moore would it flip....but...referencing lynching? Thats uh...something.

It's Mississippi, she'll probably win whites by 90 points now

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

friendbot2000 posted:

Not even a little bit.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Seems like an exceptional amount of close races that ultimately tip dem this year, or is it not out of the ordinary?

I think when you're riding a wave sure you'll tip a bunch of districts by a tiny bit that you'd have lost by a few to a handful of points before.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

VitalSigns posted:

It's Mississippi, she'll probably win whites by 90 points now
So about the same as usual?

I can't find any exit polls, for Mississippi to see if this is true, but considering 37.5% of the state is black people, and their turnout is actually a little higher than white people, and Espy got around 40%, it's probably depressingly close to accurate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zwabu posted:

I think when you're riding a wave sure you'll tip a bunch of districts by a tiny bit that you'd have lost by a few to a handful of points before.

i think at least part of it is the perception that races are closer than they really end up. a lot of them when all votes are counted paint a different picture

case in point

https://twitter.com/CATargetBot/status/1062511011188494336

there are plenty of razor thin races, but maybe less than we at first thought

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

If Democrats win the Mississippi Senate race and lose the Florida Senate race I'm just gonna, like, stop making any predictions. Ever.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
dems wining Mississippi would literally be the icing to the top of the cake of 2018 and pretty much mean this is pure hellworld and everything is opposite forever

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Hell if Florida actually flips and Miss. runoff goes blue as well I will donate 50 bucks to The D&D mods charity of choice.

30 bucks if only one goes blue.

Hell I haven’t done this in years but why not :toxx:

I actually really want to pay this one for trumps mad tweets alone, :pray:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

Hell if Florida actually flips and Miss. runoff goes blue as well I will donate 50 bucks to The D&D mods charity of choice.

30 bucks if only one goes blue.

Hell I haven’t done this in years but why not :toxx:

I actually really want to pay this one for trumps mad tweets alone, :pray:

I'll join this :toxx:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The CHUD base is also being whipped into a frenzy by years of UHLEEGUL VOTERS ARR STEELIN' R DUHMOCRACY so that they're not willing to engage their brain space and think "Hey maybe counting every vote takes awhile" and instead running into the arms of a fascist enemy purge because that fits Cheeto Benito's narrative better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1062533611751202817