Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My friends and I will be travelling to Tokyo during the last week of Feb next year. Third trip to Japan, second trip to Tokyo.

We covered a lot of the popular tourist spots during our first Tokyo Trip back in 2016: Imperial Palace/Meiji Shrine, Shibuya, Harajuku, Akihabara, an onsen day trip, Tsukiji, and the Ghibli museum. As of now, the only thing we've planned to see is the Mori building/exhibit, but we definitely wanna see if there's anything else interesting we might have missed out on.

Any suggestions for other cool places to visit in and around Tokyo? Our group has varied interests and don't mind splitting up for the day, so any suggestions will be welcome. Aside from hitting up 3-4 of the top tsukemen places I've read about, I'm open to anything, especially if it's pop culture-related.

E: If there's a puroresu live event around that time, let me know.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The schedule is only up through the first week of February. Ask again one month later XD
https://www.njpw.co.jp/schedule

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

Yeah and Canadians just have to take half a day and do paperwork (I believe they’re still covered in ways most Americans are not) no tests or anything either. Such laziness!

It’s not like doing the right thing and getting your license converted is always easy either.

There's a stupid easy true/false test that I think everyone has to take. It's the driving exam that folks with Canadian et al licensees don't need to take. Also good call on saying "most Americans": holders of Washington state and Maryland driver's licenses get to do the easy-mode conversion too as of a year or two ago.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Anakha - February is usually when NJPW is doing the crossover Lucha shows, and they run at Korakuen next to the Tokyo Dome fairly regularly. Check back after the New Year to confirm. Around that area in Tokyo there’s a lot of shops and such dedicated to wrestling so it’s a cool way to spend the afternoon before a show.

Mr. Fix It posted:

There's a stupid easy true/false test that I think everyone has to take. It's the driving exam that folks with Canadian et al licensees don't need to take. Also good call on saying "most Americans": holders of Washington state and Maryland driver's licenses get to do the easy-mode conversion too as of a year or two ago.

I remembered Maryland and thought there was one more too. It’s because we do it state by state and it’s on that state to do the legwork for reciprocity at the international level, to my knowledge.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

Lol just lol if you've been to Shimane and Fukui but not Tottori.

Fukui has good hot springs and good food, and is nicely on the way to Kyoto.

Shimane also has good hot springs hidden in the mountains, and has Izumo with a Shrine.

Tottori has.... sand dunes....?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

peanut posted:

That's basically the whole story. A local eikaiwa always provided teachers with lovely little cars, the teachers always arrived with international driving permits. Maybe the teachers were expected to convert later, because they were all Canadian, but it wasn't enforced or encouraged by management.
She was stopped for Driving While Brown and that's when we all learned that international permits are only valid for the 1st year or until the first time you leave Japan.
It was her 3rd year...
The police dropped all penalties, but denied her appeal to get a JP license. She changed jobs for her last year in town.

Thinking about it, that means my own IDP was also invalid, because I got it in my 4th year in here. And left the country once or twice. But I did get my JP license within that year...

Lmao if you didn't convert your licence in your first year and now don't have a gold licence :smuggo:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I do have a gold license now :whatup:

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Public Service Announcement:

Kurokawa is Good.

That is all.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Fukui has good hot springs and good food, and is nicely on the way to Kyoto.

Shimane also has good hot springs hidden in the mountains, and has Izumo with a Shrine.

Tottori has.... sand dunes....?

If good hot springs hidden in the mountains and a nice shrine is all you need, Tottori is just as good:

Ganguro King posted:

There is plenty to do in Tottori!

You can go to the super-touristy Tottori Sand Dune and ride a camel or go sandboarding. This is the main thing Japanese people know about Tottori.

You can climb Mt. Mitoku, which has a cool temple that is built into the side of a cliff. You have to climb up tree roots and a chain to get to the top (a couple people fall off and die every year). Really nice views on the way.

You can join a researcher and crawl around in the river all night to look for the rare Japanese Giant Salamander.

You can go to a museum with 4,000 preserved fish. Highlights include a huge sunfish and the hall of pufferfish. Only 100 yen to get in if you are a foreigner.

You can hike/camp/cycle/ski on Mt. Daisen, the "Mt. Fuji of western Japan."

Of course there are tons of hot springs if that is your thing. The good ones are Misasa Onsen, Hawai Onsen, or Togo Onsen. Hawai & Togo sell clam flavored ice cream.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Tottori also has Shigeru Mizuki road if you're into that kind of stuff.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You can eat beef bone ramen in Tottori.

I liked the sand dunes, they're fun to walk around in and there's a beach just nearby if you want to go for a swim.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
So the trip I thought was going to be in late May/early June is now potentially going to be in mid March instead. It would likely end around March 26th. Is the 24/25th usually a good time for cherry blossom viewing in Tokyo, or is it still a little early?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
May or may not. You'll probably be like half a week early but who knows since sakura season is notoriously random.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ps it usually rains the 2nd day of full bloom.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Global warming is shifting the “traditional” sakura season forward by whole weeks, and like peanut said it’s just as likely a big rainstorm will come through on the second or third day and wash all the petals off the trees.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
We arrived in Tokyo March 13th this year and the blossoms were showing up already and by the time we got back to tokyo on the 23rd they were out everywhere.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
this was taken on april 1, 2017

the general timeframe is the middle of march to the beginning of april, but if it's cold out... vOv

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
No way in hell is there enough room to get drunk under that.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Lol just lol if you can't get drunk under literally anything

even under oath

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

xiw posted:

We arrived in Tokyo March 13th this year and the blossoms were showing up already and by the time we got back to tokyo on the 23rd they were out everywhere.

Ah, I looked it up and it started on March 17th and hit peak on the 25th this year (in Tokyo). I guess given the trend we'll probably end up booking the trip and hoping it works out (although... I guess I'd take a reverse in global warming too).

It'll be quite a bit colder than we were originally planning for in May/June, but if the sakura show up it'll be worthwhile.

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
Planning an extremely last minute holiday to tyoko w my brother whom I very rarely see. Ice read about 50 pages of this thread so ill avoid the obvious pratfalls. We're staying for 7 nights in tokyo lookibg at the shibuya district and the only remaining accommodation is with some APA hotels for roughly 200 a night, or the cerulean tower/westinnn hotel for around 3 times the nightly rate.

Is cheap prices/no mainlanders (nothing personal at all but it seems to come up a lot) enough to offset the scummy feeling of supporting facists? Are other hotels i listed good enough to warrant the jump? Are there any other better options im missing? We are brown, are we going to be received well at an APA location? Tbh ive never wanted ti steal the toiletriesof a hotel room more than some of the weird poo poo they have

Otherwise my brothers looking up airbnb which ive never used. He seemed confident hed find something ideal but at such short notice im not optimistic.

Thanks for any help!!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I’d say don’t feel the need to limit yourself so strictly to Shibuya because you pay a premium for the area, which can be overcome with a 15min train ride twice a day to a cheaper district. Tokyo is insanely convenient to get around the major areas considering the size of the city.

AirBnB is a good option. Recent regulatory changes made it so that only people with some level of license can do it, so where there are options they’re reliable, and often come with nice amenities like a mobile wifi hub included with the room etc.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Really recommend dormy inn,

Maybe slightly more than Nanjing denial fucker’s hotel but you get a public bath at the top floor.

If you don’t want mainlanders though, don’t stay in shibuya and most of all don’t stay cheap.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The no mainlander thing isnt a problem at hotels, since you dont have to interact with people much. It's an issue at like a hot spring where you have people being obnoxious at the bath, for example.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

LimburgLimbo posted:

I’d say don’t feel the need to limit yourself so strictly to Shibuya because you pay a premium for the area, which can be overcome with a 15min train ride twice a day to a cheaper district. Tokyo is insanely convenient to get around the major areas considering the size of the city.
Yeah, I stayed in Akasaka which was a trendy yet not too insane and loud neighbourhood and wasn't too expensive, and was a 10-15 minute subway ride from about 80% of the places I wanted to go to.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Tokyo is a geographic marvel where everywhere is half an hour away.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I had a revelation today that I want one of those nice fuzzy logic rice cookers that can do white/brown rice and other grains. I've seen them mentioned in here before, is it a thing to go buy one in Japan and schlep it back, as opposed to just getting one here in the US? I suppose at least I could use it to hold teaware that I'll surely end up buying...

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I dunno why you'd bother going through the hassle when you can just order them here.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-Uncooked-Premium-1-0-Liter/dp/B00007J5U7?th=1&psc=1

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Stringent posted:

Tokyo is a geographic marvel where everywhere is half an hour away.

The Hub is 10 minutes from my home :allears:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Keret posted:

I had a revelation today that I want one of those nice fuzzy logic rice cookers that can do white/brown rice and other grains. I've seen them mentioned in here before, is it a thing to go buy one in Japan and schlep it back, as opposed to just getting one here in the US? I suppose at least I could use it to hold teaware that I'll surely end up buying...

It's in fact such a thing most big department stores in Japan stock "international" versions for most rice cookers and pressure cookers so people can bring them back to other countries (read: china) which use 220-240v instead of 100-120v Japan and the US use.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Magna Kaser posted:

It's in fact such a thing most big department stores in Japan stock "international" versions for most rice cookers and pressure cookers so people can bring them back to other countries (read: china) which use 220-240v instead of 100-120v Japan and the US use.

I just bought one at Yodobashi Camera for at least of half what it would cost here.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

prompt posted:

The Hub is 10 minutes from my home :allears:

Sorry I should have clarified, everywhere worth going to.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Baking a cheesecake in my rice cooker today! They're more versatile than a lot of people realize.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The only Japanese rice cookers that are not in the US are the $500+ ones with super crazy advanced features that probably aren't that useful.

If you dont give a gently caress about a rice cooker that learns your preference in perfect hardness for rice (hint: you can measure water yourself), then buy it in the US.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Zojirushinis out, tiger is out, please buy national and support forums goon Caberham. Thanks

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zmcnulty posted:

Baking a cheesecake in my rice cooker today! They're more versatile than a lot of people realize.

They work well for confit too, just drop some duck or chicken in, cover with olive oil and let it run for five or six hours.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

The only Japanese rice cookers that are not in the US are the $500+ ones with super crazy advanced features that probably aren't that useful.

I'd like to find the dork at Toto that decided to only sell the top model washlets in the US and staple his nose to his fax machine.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

zmcnulty posted:

You’re so domestic now :love:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gschmidl posted:

I just bought one at Yodobashi Camera for at least of half what it would cost here.

Really at this point I should write a script that triggers on Yodobashi and replies. I loving love that place and now their song is stuck in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Today the Max Valu (Aeon chain grocery store) was playing the same music as Hard Off. I felt disoriented.