Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sydin posted:

So beyond single payer, what are some things the Dems could do with a super majority that we'd really want them to do, but they won't?
Unfuck zoning by overruling lovely NIMBY cities. If I was Benevolent Dictator for the People's Republic of California, I'd just establish regional zoning and transportation authorities for any metro over 250k people that could overrule individual cities.

Tax cars, more trains. MANY more.

Also more bike lanes and bus lanes.

Mountains of public housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/CATargetBot/status/1062148346809176064

and she's probably even more screwed once LA county ballots (diamond bar, walnut, hacienda heights) start rolling in, as well as more stuff from the more working-class parts of OC

https://twitter.com/CATargetBot/status/1062157258631434240

:pray:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 13, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cicero posted:

Mountains of public housing.
We also need real long term protection for this once it gets started so a political swing can't defund it then accuse it of being a failure that once again created slums.

E: So, yeah... New state constitution.

How do we address broken proposition system while still allowing for some remedy when our representatives don't do their job?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 13, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The remedy when representatives don't do their jobs is to fire them.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Ban paid signature gatherers.

Require that the backers and opponents of a proposition disclose how much they would personally benefit from the passage or failure of the proposed ballot measure in that little proposition booklet.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sydin posted:

So beyond single payer, what are some things the Dems could do with a super majority that we'd really want them to do, but they won't? I know anything that touches taxes requires a super majority, but I don't know how handcuffed the legislature is by Prop 13 in regards to the taxes we really need to raise at the moment.

Pass some sort of law that enables massive building of housing immediately. I want to make Tokyo look low-rise.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
Couldn't the state legislature also just up and choose to do the same thing prop 10 would have, and repeal Costa-Hawkins?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skippy McPants posted:

Unrelated, but the look Leonard Nimoy pulled off in that scene is great. It perfectly conveys the emotion you experience when someone you love and respect says something blatantly horrific.

Supposedly Shatner was irritated by the way that scene was edited because he played it as Kirk also realizing he'd said something completely unacceptable and being ashamed of himself.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

and she's probably even more screwed once LA county ballots (diamond bar, walnut, hacienda heights) start rolling in, as well as more stuff from the more working-class parts of OC

https://twitter.com/CATargetBot/status/1062157258631434240

:pray:

I think Tuck got a ton of uniformed votes that went:

1. Oh, I've heard that name before, he must be ok.
2. He "improves" schools, ok good!

:suicide:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Keyser_Soze posted:

I think Tuck got a ton of uniformed votes that went:

1. Oh, I've heard that name before, he must be ok.
2. He "improves" schools, ok good!

:suicide:

If all you have to go on is the candidate statements then it came across as not mattering who got the gig. That's what I thought on a quick glance until I did more digging into their backgrounds.

Add in that Tuck strongly implied that he had backing from Obama, so if you're a low-info voter you might just go with the guy whose face you saw next to Obama's on that one mailer.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If all you have to go on is the candidate statements then it came across as not mattering who got the gig. That's what I thought on a quick glance until I did more digging into their backgrounds.

Add in that Tuck strongly implied that he had backing from Obama, so if you're a low-info voter you might just go with the guy whose face you saw next to Obama's on that one mailer.

it's both of those

tuck was more explicitly pro charter when he ran for the same position in 2014 and lost bigly (5%)

this time he didnt say poo poo (except that thurmond was from a Failing Inner City School and that he was endorsed by duncan (another charter school rear end in a top hat))

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Marshall Tuck also had an extremely long-running and seemingly unchallenged radio ad for like six months in which they portrayed Thurmond as a corrupt and ineffectual machine politician.

I've probably heard Tuck's ad 100 times and never once encountered any ads for Thurmond.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Jaxyon posted:

Pass some sort of law that enables massive building of housing immediately. I want to make Tokyo look low-rise.
Most of Tokyo is low-rise. This is true even if you're only talking about the special wards.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

unbutthurtable posted:

Couldn't the state legislature also just up and choose to do the same thing prop 10 would have, and repeal Costa-Hawkins?

Sure, but it'd be potential political suicide. The voters just resoundingly rejected a prop repealing Costa-Hawkins, so the legislature just doing it themselves would not only give the Republicans roughly unlimited ammo to bang the "elitist out of touch liberals!" drum in 2020, it would also piss off a ton of embarrassed millionaires and potentially swing them R. You'd probably also get more SB1 Repeal style tactics like getting a prop on the ballot to re-instate the legislation, and attempts to drum up support for recall elections on the principle sponsors of the repeal. It sucks but I doubt the Dems are going to be willing to gamble on that.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Class Warcraft posted:

Marshall Tuck also had an extremely long-running and seemingly unchallenged radio ad for like six months in which they portrayed Thurmond as a corrupt and ineffectual machine politician.

I've probably heard Tuck's ad 100 times and never once encountered any ads for Thurmond.

I heard anti-Tuck ads on radio from a teacher group like 3 days before the election but nothing from Thurmond himself, Tuck's stuff was playing periodically for months far before any other election ads I heard

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

I heard anti-Tuck ads on radio from a teacher group like 3 days before the election but nothing from Thurmond himself, Tuck's stuff was playing periodically for months far before any other election ads I heard

thats what you get to do when you have billionaires bankrolling you and your opponent is public schoolteachers lol

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cicero posted:

Most of Tokyo is low-rise. This is true even if you're only talking about the special wards.

Not compared to LA, but pretend I said HK or NYC or whatever.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Paris-style 6 story buildings. Lots of new housing, and it would still have decent views.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Shear Modulus posted:

thats what you get to do when you have billionaires bankrolling you and your opponent is public schoolteachers lol

Er, I saw endless Thurmond ads on TV during baseball in the Bay Area, and no Tick ads. I don't think either was hurting for ad funds.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Utility-emailed-woman-about-spark-problems-1-day-13385661.php

quote:

PULGA, Calif. (AP) — A day before a deadly blaze destroyed a California town, the giant utility Pacific Gas & Electric Co. got in touch with Betsy Ann Cowley, saying the company needed access to her property because its power lines were causing sparks.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation. What is known is that it started Thursday near Cowley's property in the tiny town of Pulga, incinerated the neighboring town of Paradise and killed at least 42 people.

On Monday, fire investigators declared the area surrounding power lines on Cowley's property, in an oak-filled canyon, a crime scene. Security guards would not let PG&E inspectors pass.

Cowley said she was on vacation last Wednesday when she got a surprise email from PG&E. Details of that exchange, described to The Associated Press, combined with the utility's track record in California wildfire history has again brought the company under scrutiny.

The email said that crews needed to come to her property to work on the high-power lines, Cowley said. PG&E told her "they were having problems with sparks," she said. They visited her property but she said she wasn't there Wednesday and was not aware of their findings.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Negligent Homicide
That's funny. As far as I know, utilities don't need express permission to access their easements on or through private property.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zachack posted:

Er, I saw endless Thurmond ads on TV during baseball in the Bay Area, and no Tick ads. I don't think either was hurting for ad funds.

I saw a lot of TV ads for both.

It is not really in question that Tuck was better funded. The CA SoS database says Tuck received $5M in direct donations in this election cycle, and Thurmond $4M. However, when you include PAC money, Tuck had a ~$10M advantage in supporting money, and Thurmond had $5M of PAC money spent against him, compared to like $200k against Tuck. So all in all Tuck had about a $15M advantage.

e: misread the data in an earlier version

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 13, 2018

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

by late october i'd started seeing ads tying tuck to trump and devos

also holy gently caress rohrabacher basically rented houses for years on end to turn them into goon caves

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 13, 2018

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I’m so glad the CTH guys found that article and read it on their last episode.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

CopperHound posted:

We also need real long term protection for this once it gets started so a political swing can't defund it then accuse it of being a failure that once again created slums.

E: So, yeah... New state constitution.

How do we address broken proposition system while still allowing for some remedy when our representatives don't do their job?

Pass a proposition making all propositions equal to other laws after a few years rather than permanently superior and akin to constititional provisions. Then they could be amended by the Legislature.

The consequences for loving with a popular proposition after it passes should be politcal. Sometimes the Legislature might do it, but they will think long and hard before they do. And if they do, there's always another Proposition.

predicto fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 13, 2018

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Leperflesh posted:

The remedy when representatives don't do their jobs is to [primary] them.

fixed it - I still ain't voting for no shithead GOP hacks

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

predicto posted:

Pass a proposition making all propositions equal to other laws after a few years rather than permanently superior and akin to constititional provisions. Then they could be amended by the Legislature.

The consequences for loving with a popular proposition after it passes should be politcal. Sometimes the Legislature might do it, but they will think long and hard before they do. And if they do, there's always another Proposition.

This would be good, and also state constitutional amendments via proposition should take a 2/3rds majority. Add in some rules about campaign finance for the propositions and I think it would be a pretty decent system.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Class Warcraft posted:

I work in Contra Costa, and while I still voted for Thurmond he doesn't have the greatest reputation around here to begin with based on what I've heard from people talking casually about him. Doesn't mean that Tuck isn't worse though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

predicto posted:

fixed it - I still ain't voting for no shithead GOP hacks

Well this also applies for when GOP representatives don't do their jobs. The question of "however would a state manage its government without propositions" can be answered by looking at the other states that don't have our proposition process: and it's definitely in some cases worse, because incumbents are incumbents everywhere and voters are mostly lazy. But it's also like: the way this form of government is supposed to work is we vote for representatives to do their jobs, and kick the bums out when they don't... and the direct-democracy experiment to make an end-run around them has obviously mostly failed and resulted in an insane number of constitutional amendments, prop 13, and all matter of other dumbfuckery, plus far too many elected officials who can completely avoid taking risks by "letting the voters decide" on poo poo like high speed rail instead of actually bothering to lead.

Voters shouldn't have to spend hours wading through the guide and going online to study legal opinions to try and analyze whether or not some really quite obscure issue like how dialysis clinics are funded in order to decide whether or not it's going to actually kill people, that's why we elected these fuckers in the first place, they're supposed to hire experts and consult them and make policy and regulatory decisions based on that.

So yeah, I'm not actually completely opposed to direct-vote propositions, but what we've got now is plainly broken as hell, and I'd rather have nothing than the decades of fuckups we've had.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02ehMmrBXQ

Some footage of all of the smoke pouring into Chico

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Another Orange County seat just flipped

https://twitter.com/hellofasandwich/status/1062510556869910528?s=21

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/CATargetBot/status/1062511233864130560

regarding the assembly, petrie-norris solidifying her lead over harper in the AD that includes a part of CA-45 is really icing on the cake here

https://twitter.com/CATargetBot/status/1062510613195251712

young kim's lead down to 0.38% and 711 votes; her finally going down over the mail-in ballots would be some primo schadenfreude given her :qq:-ing about :airquote:voting fraud:airquote:

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

This is quite good

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Glumslinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02ehMmrBXQ

Some footage of all of the smoke pouring into Chico

Holy moley.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Apparently Young Kim’s people are trying to challenge every single democratic ballot that comes in to the OC registrar of voters.

Which just means that the ballots get put on the side and the ROV checks the signature against other signatures on file, and if they still have an issue, then they send out a notice to the voter and have them come in to sign an affidavit.

The OC ROV has had 400 objections to mail in ballots so far, and only 2 of those were sustained, meaning they send out the notice.

Chances are, the last batches of ballots are going to be extremely democratic leaning because of this failed attempt at voter suppression.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm ecstatic to see my district finally turn blue. I've been voting against Mimi and her birther-dog-whistler predecessor since I've been old enough, and it was disappointing seeing them win 55-60% every time. People aren't really overtly Democrat here, but you do see the occasional "librulz :arghfist:" bumperstickers. This election gives me some comfort that most people here are reasonable, and hopefully the anti-GOP sentiment lasts for a while. If Kim goes down too, the entire county will be represented by Democrats!

The thing that surprised me most was that Irvine was pretty solidly Democrat, and not just the parts around UCI. According to this nifty map, Irvine voted consistently for Democrat candidates and ballot measures, even protecting the gas tax.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AP just called CA-10

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1062530900423000064

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Paris-style 6 story buildings. Lots of new housing, and it would still have decent views.

They're also way cheaper. 6 story mid rises can be built with wood framing instead of steel.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Foxfire_ posted:

They're also way cheaper. 6 story mid rises can be built with wood framing instead of steel.

My understanding is that in Cali that's 4 stories, which is why all those shoddy pseudo-italian places in LA are that tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

gently caress yes