Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Or FF6 limit breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

jalapeno_dude posted:

um have you ever played another FF game

let me tell you about junctioning
or the sphere grid

Neither of which have anything to do with RNG.

Ok, technically they have one layer of RNG in the acquisition of spells/spheres. But that's it.

If you want layered RNG schemas you gotta go to the Random rule of Triple Triad or most of the entirety of Tetra Master.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

and they both fuckin sucked

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Sphere Grid isn't even that confusing, it's basically fake obfuscation/confusion for the sake of looking more complex than it actually is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Sphere Grid is complex? It's just a straightforward "Fill this node with a common item to get abilities or stat buffs" progression system.

KoB
May 1, 2009

jalapeno_dude posted:

um have you ever played another FF game

let me tell you about junctioning
or the sphere grid

I meant 14 specifically.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KoB posted:

I meant 14 specifically.

Diadem loot

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Monathin posted:

The Sphere Grid isn't even that confusing, it's basically fake obfuscation/confusion for the sake of looking more complex than it actually is.

So, obtuse bullshit.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

You're blocked off from basically every path you're not allowed to be on by design. It's not really that obtuse.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's all in presentation.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

jalapeno_dude posted:

So, obtuse bullshit.

It's a straight path that looks curly. X has proper things to complain about, like the butterfly minigame, but the sphere grid is easy as heck to understand.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Obtuse is whatever the hell is going on with chests in FFXII.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Clarste posted:

Obtuse is whatever the hell is going on with chests in FFXII.

I'm fairly confident the sole reason for the Zodiac Spear bullshit was to justify guidebook sales (when they were still slightly relevant) because no ordinary player would have figured that out in a million years.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Turns out I can forgive Eureka a hell of a lot if it can provide me with a badass tanking outfit.

Hell of a lot.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
"Obtuse" huh?

And that doesn't even begin to touch on Crafting. The community were convinced direction faced when crafting, moon phase (full moon meant less breaks, new moon meant better HQ rates/skill ups but higher failure rates), day of the in-game week in correlation to the synthesis crystal used etc. were all significant factors. iirc The devs came out years later and were like haha no that's all bullshit what are you talking?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Meiteron posted:

Turns out I can forgive Eureka a hell of a lot if it can provide me with a badass tanking outfit.

Hell of a lot.

So, where is it?

Alris posted:

"Obtuse" huh?

And that doesn't even begin to touch on Crafting. The community were convinced direction faced when crafting, moon phase (full moon meant less breaks, new moon meant better HQ rates/skill ups but higher failure rates), day of the in-game week in correlation to the synthesis crystal used etc. were all significant factors. iirc The devs came out years later and were like haha no that's all bullshit what are you talking?
Best part is Nasomi, the only XI private shard I know of, implemented those crafting rules. Chain skills though.. slightly miss, but more hate that image so much. Such a pain in the rear end, but felt real cool to get consistently in a party.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 14, 2018

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

onesixtwo posted:

So, where is it?

Discover all 50 logos actions in Eureka and you unlock all the armor sets for direct purchase. i380, divided by role, 5 materia slots, 40 pyros crystals per piece and 200 for a full set.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
How many sets is that total?

Fending, Healing, Striking, Maiming, Scouting, Aiming, and Casting is everything, right? So 1400 crystals to get everything?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

This was why I was a Red Mage and didn't have to care about things like this, or seeking parties for any length of time.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Hello FFXIV goons, I just bulldozed everything blizzard off my phone and computer and salted the earth. I'm looking for a social game that's fun and not garbage where the developers actually want the players to have fun, and I can dress up and goof around. I haven't heard too many people complaining about this one.

As far as FFs go, I've played 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. The complicated looking charts don't scare me because I got flagged for plane of time way back in the day in EQ and occasionally play path of exile.

I don't know anything about this game other than I can be a catgirl with sunglasses. I guess my 2 questions are

1) Can I group with people who are on a different server from me?
2) How good are bards?

Also I'm glad to see some other finesparks around here!

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Cory in the Blouse posted:

1) Can I group with people who are on a different server from me?

Yes, but only on the same data centre. You can see which servers are on which data centre here: https://arrstatus.com/

2) How good are bards?

Top tier, though their raw DPS is low compared to other DPS classes. They're super popular in raids because of their utility.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Cool I like playing support classes. I'm gonna download the trial, will probably buy it next time I get paid.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Cool I like playing support classes. I'm gonna download the trial, will probably buy it next time I get paid.

Don't get me wrong - bards are mainly DPSing. Their support skills just happen to be better than most other DPS classes' support skills. FFXIV doesn't really have a pure "support" class - maybe Astrologian (but that requires you to have beaten the non-expansion game).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nobody would invite a bard to anything if their support skills weren't top notch, which I feel like makes it safe to define it as a support class.

I mean, poo poo, healers are still healers, even if they're mostly throwing rocks at bosses.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Also, it's important to note that you can level all the things and be a not-Bard whenever you want without having to make a new character.

Before you do, check with someone in the thread for player recruitment bonuses. I think that's still a thing. Both you and the recruiter get some free stuff if you buy the game and pay for a sub after your free month.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Cabbit posted:

Nobody would invite a bard to anything if their support skills weren't top notch, which I feel like makes it safe to define it as a support class.

I mean, poo poo, healers are still healers, even if they're mostly throwing rocks at bosses.

That's not entirely true, since BRD/MCH are also really reliable damage and get to do mechanics for free.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Cabbit posted:

There's only one kind of healer that does that!

The rest of us throw stars or horrific diseases at bosses.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bards are really good and have some of the cooler glamours, cross-world linkshells (private chats) and party groups are all good poo poo (though if you get on excal or its data center I won't be able to play w/u), the game is very casual friendly and doesnt require you to put in your whole life for results. Even Eureka, the most complained about chunk of endgame, probably only requires a week or two depending on play habits.

Welcome to Ff14, Cory. :comfysamus:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I rolled a 94 for my last omega shaft needed for all the gear, and lost to a 96. On my 7th run of the night. :suicide:

I think we're late enough in the patch cycle that the good players stopped running Omega a ton, because holy loving poo poo every single one of those 7 runs was a clusterfuck that only succeeded despite itself.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Bolow posted:

You need to reroll it 5 times to even start rolling it for real bee tee dubs :greenangel:

sigh

I mean, I'm not surprised, but I'm still disappointed. Why the gently caress am I so determined to do this? I'm not getting enjoyment out of it, but my OCD takes hold and I end up just doing the same thing for hours despite not having fun.

I'm going to do some more in the instance tomorrow to attempt to get the Eldthurs mount one more time, and then I'm forcing myself to take a break from Eureka for a bit. I may continue to use it just to cap tomestones each week, but I have better things to do with my time, and I need to finally say no to this lovely system.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Renegret posted:

I rolled a 94 for my last omega shaft needed for all the gear, and lost to a 96. On my 7th run of the night. :suicide:

Same, rolled a 92 on my 16th run, lost to a 95. I was rolling 30's every other run. My salt stocks are on the rise.

At least I can say every run has been smooth.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm a fan of this look and the axe.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TheHeadSage posted:

Same, rolled a 92 on my 16th run, lost to a 95. I was rolling 30's every other run. My salt stocks are on the rise.

At least I can say every run has been smooth.

I also lost a different run with a 90 so I went to bed last night super salty and an hour past my bed time

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
high point of the night:

"We kept dying because the healers weren't keeping Protect up!". No Mr. SAM, I think it's because you insist on making a venn diagram with AoEs over the safe spot I was standing in.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Renegret posted:

high point of the night:

"We kept dying because the healers weren't keeping Protect up!". No Mr. SAM, I think it's because you insist on making a venn diagram with AoEs over the safe spot I was standing in.

This sort of thing is the reason they need to remove protect already.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I did it

I finally started using non-Enochian cooldowns as a regular part of my BLM rotation

please clap

also where do you lot figure out your glams? Do you just have a stash of gear that you spend hours obsessively trying on or can I play pretty princess dressup on a web page somewhere?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Hello FFXIV goons, I just bulldozed everything blizzard off my phone and computer and salted the earth. I'm looking for a social game that's fun and not garbage where the developers actually want the players to have fun, and I can dress up and goof around. I haven't heard too many people complaining about this one.

Unclear at this point if the devs actively hate their players or not.

I'm mostly joking, minus whoever is in charge of Eureka. The Fanfest is this weekend (well one of 3, basically blizzcon for this game, but they do one in NA, then Japan, then Europe) and it will be free this year and it's usually a pretty good watch if you want to view the dev team as good intentioned real people instead of your weird nemesis who keeps fuckin it all up. Any time you get the sound director and head of NA localization together is a great time.

Edit: I am still incredibly salty they won't stream the concerts though. It's always the high point :mad:.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

ChickenWing posted:

also where do you lot figure out your glams? Do you just have a stash of gear that you spend hours obsessively trying on or can I play pretty princess dressup on a web page somewhere?

My glamour dresser filled up pretty much as soon as I got access to it. My retainers are still like, 70% glamour items that I'll probably never use.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Just had a 13 minute burn 2 minutes right before reset. I sort of want to take other jobs to dungeons since I just finished actually crafting some 380 gear, but anything other than WHM just seems not optimal.

This applies even more for pvp where I sort of want to grind kills, but I almost never spawn in with 2 other healers.

Algid fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I'm finally getting round to doing Heavensward and the Bismark stuff got a good laugh from me.

"We gotta slay this primal because we can protect the key better than it can!"
*Kills primal, literally instantly loses key to Thordan*