Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Detective Pickachu designs are so good that even though I imagined Jigglypuff having a seal-like texture, like a balloon, I think Jigglypuff being fuzzy makes more sense. It's really rare that an adaptation ends up being better than the way I imagined it and exceeding my expectations like that.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The_Doctor posted:

My other half relayed Sun/Moon to me as he played it, and the Pokemon in that sounded like Lovecraftian Elder Gods. :stare:

Ultra Beasts are kinda cheating in that they're deliberately meant to be alien and freaky, being from a different dimension and having a different design aesthetic to regular Pokemon. Of course it turns out they're just another dimension's Pokemon equivalent that are freaking out in what to them is a weird alien world.

Then there's also the capricious and terrifying island fairy-gods that once blew up a supermarket they didn't like. And may be the reason why there's an abandoned gated community of high-end with huge steel walls.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Man I have to say I have always loving hated 'realistic pokemon' because I liked them as cute cartoons, but it does work for Detective Pikachu. The designs are still cute and cartoony, but realistic enough that they don't look too weird next to people. They also look way better in motion with lighting and all than just on a static drawing.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

Man I have to say I have always loving hated 'realistic pokemon' because I liked them as cute cartoons, but it does work for Detective Pikachu. The designs are still cute and cartoony, but realistic enough that they don't look too weird next to people. They also look way better in motion with lighting and all than just on a static drawing.

i'm really glad they reigned in the realistic pokemon guy to basically just do textures cause his actual designs go a bit too far

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

The use of modern music (Like Run DMC)

I get your meaning, but I just wanted to point out how hella white this sounds

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

I get your meaning, but I just wanted to point out how hella white this sounds

I know. When writing I couldn't think of any other way to phrase it and I sat on that line for a good 15 minutes. Cause I didn't just mean rap but really any of the genres from the past 30 years that were popular that they used. It is just I know Run DMC's Christmas in Hollies from the first few beats.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 14, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally, Dad Rap has hit animated films.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I got to see Ralph Breaks the Internet. I enjoyed it, but I'm a little taken aback by how different it is from the usual formula. It's kind of all over the place and half-baked, but feels unique because of it. Like, without going too in-depth, the movie sets up the stakes and goal early on, only to give us an adventure that's on easy mode. There's little resistance to the heroes, so about 4/5 into the movie, it stops to ask what the film is even supposed to be about and figures itself out from there. The big Act III conflict is built up over the story, but almost comes off as being tacked on.

The final threat at the end is insane, though. Incredibly impressive and would have scared the hell out of me as a kid.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

I got to see Ralph Breaks the Internet. I enjoyed it, but I'm a little taken aback by how different it is from the usual formula. It's kind of all over the place and half-baked, but feels unique because of it. Like, without going too in-depth, the movie sets up the stakes and goal early on, only to give us an adventure that's on easy mode. There's little resistance to the heroes, so about 4/5 into the movie, it stops to ask what the film is even supposed to be about and figures itself out from there. The big Act III conflict is built up over the story, but almost comes off as being tacked on.

The final threat at the end is insane, though. Incredibly impressive and would have scared the hell out of me as a kid.

That's significantly more positive than I was expecting, got to admit. Color me intrigued.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NiYVoqBt-8

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Ew.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://inalostcorner.tumblr.com/post/180111626413/maxofs2d-hexcolour-arizonabay-worked-on

And to few people's surprise, Riot continues to be a toxic exploitative piece of poo poo company towards their talent. And again they fail to actually credit any of their animators.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Guess what Dumbo needed was more human characters and muted colors. This borders on parody at this point.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

God drat this garbage to hell

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That is so bad I am still laughing

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Ccs posted:

Key and Peel are fun but that new trailer is just cannibalizing one of their old bits

Yeah, but I miss Key and Peele every day, so if they wnna rip themselves off, I'm good with it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
More like “Dumb, oh so dumb!”

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Danny Devito is in this piece of poo poo, but wouldn't voice Detective Pikachu?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Voice-acting won't give you silly hats, bro.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

My sister thinks this looks beautiful and can't wait to watch something from Tim Burton, who is so creative.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

My sister thinks this looks beautiful and can't wait to watch something from Tim Burton, who is so creative.

Good post/avatar combo.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

Personally, I think it looks silly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

paradoxGentleman posted:

And what's really messed up is that her money is as good as anyone else's!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
"Dad puts work above his family and has to reconnect with his kids" plot in TYOOL 2019.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Das Boo posted:

"Dad puts work above his family and has to reconnect with his kids" plot in TYOOL 2019.

I think Burton has some father issues

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given he shoehorned an evil father dentist in Charlie and the Chocolate factory, yeah dude's got worse daddy issues than Steven Spielberg

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I guess that explains why his Batman take was good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mainstream reaction to Dumbo seems to be really good, Cartoon Brew is the only ones who called it out for being weird looking and they almost always have negative takes.

I dunno what to think. The trailer was like someone was bashing me over the head with "ISN'T THIS *MAGICAL*". It's pure schmaltz.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I got too excited for Dumbo because I was theorizing the Elephant Circus was stuck in the 1930s and time traveling but it turns out it's a period piece

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
My only interest in dumbo is what the hell they do with the crows

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
To be frank, nothing would have actually satisfied me short of a beatified version of Jim Crow played by Antonio Fargas. The last shot of the trailer before the title would be a close up of him staring offscreen in awe, taking off his glasses and saying, "And I thought I'd seen everything."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Good loving question on the crows, they were like the only characters that helped Dumbo without any kind of self-interest in mind, and when I see an elephant fly is a catchy/punnery-filled song, on the other hand jesus gently caress they were pretty much minstrelry characters.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's not the same story anymore, it's about humans helping out their animal friend. So they don't need to keep any of those other characters who helped move things along in the original.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Das Boo posted:

Yeah, I'm excited for Mary Poppins Returns too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

I guess that explains why his Batman take was good.

Gotta love how certain kinds of neurosis really lend themselves to certain characters and themes. Batman vs Superman was kinda the first Batman movie that was more about mommy issues than daddy issues. I'm not sure where Lego Batman falls in this.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Ccs posted:

Mainstream reaction to Dumbo seems to be really good, Cartoon Brew is the only ones who called it out for being weird looking and they almost always have negative takes.

Disney forgot to mail Slate their cheque since they are the only source not repeating the same press release about people crying and clapping in response to the trailer. Tim Burton's Dumbo trailer is a CGI disaster.

Prior to seeing the trailer I would have said that Dumbo could have more chance of being good than any of the other remakes. Since the original is less tightly constructed than most of them shoehorning an artsyle and thematic content at odds with the story and feel of the beloved original would be less egregiously bad. But I guess not.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

DeVito, who is an experienced voice actor himself, said no apparently because he doesn't know what a Pikachu is.

On the other hand, he was also in Tim Burton's Batman Returns and Big Fish.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

DeVito, who is an experienced voice actor himself, said no apparently because he doesn't know what a Pikachu is.

I'd believe that.

I always found it really, really odd how attached so many people are to his being cast in the role, to the point where it wouldn't have mattered who they cast, if it was DeVito it wasn't right. Maybe it's cause I haven't played the games myself? But that meme started before the games were even released in english and people were mad he wasn't cast for them, either.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

The MSJ posted:

I don't think anyone ever actually said anything about the part being offered to him; as I recall, that was just some interviewer asking him about the meme, not an actual conversation about him playing the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'd believe that.

I always found it really, really odd how attached so many people are to his being cast in the role, to the point where it wouldn't have mattered who they cast, if it was DeVito it wasn't right. Maybe it's cause I haven't played the games myself? But that meme started before the games were even released in english and people were mad he wasn't cast for them, either.

Danny DeVito is a lovable pop culture icon and the first twitter person who proposed him being the VA for Detective Pikachu just said it for the hilarious contrast something like that actually would have, and not actually because he's the perfect VA for the role. Everyone who complained about it later is just latching onto the meme.

tbh according to a few friends who played the game, he's specifically not a great VA for the role because his voice wouldn't fit what the character is actually supposed to be in very plot spoiler-y but probably obvious reasons. he's explicitly not a grizzled seasoned detective or anyone who'd reasonably have a voice like DeVito.