Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

EwokEntourage posted:

Writing absurdly lopsided contract clauses and then watching them actually get adopted is super fun as an attorney
Isn't there a thing where an absurdly lopsided contract can be annulled due to its absurd lopsidedness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

Isn't there a thing where an absurdly lopsided contract can be annulled due to its absurd lopsidedness?

In theory yes, in practice basically no (especially between two sophisticated entities with lawyers).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

DC Murderverse posted:

In other words, he's perfect for Donald Trump. This dead-eyed shark-fucker is gonna worm his way into the core of the Trump administration and try to get as much money for himself as he can before it blows up.

No poo poo, the guy who created Grietens huh?

I've definitely wrote this before, when all that scandal was blowing up, but it just tickles me pink I'll share it again. I knew a smarmy rich kid college republican in undergrad who went on to Harvard Law and then to practice with some (i'm sure awful) firm in St Louis, who quit a few years later to jump headfirst into Missouri Republican politics. He got in with Grietens and rode that train to the Governor's Mansion, being appointed some sort of senior policy fucker aide to the Governor or whatever. Oh his loving facebook was nothing but photos of Grietens making speeches with this rear end in a top hat standing in the background looking Very Serious, or candids of Grietens and his retinue (fucker included) walking around Importantly surveying a manufacturing plant or some poo poo. The guy was very clearly ambitious and saw this as his first step into serious Republican politics land.

Well Grietens was a sex-monster and his flaming career took that fucker down with him. Stuck with him until the day he resigned, too. Couldn't have happened to a nicer piece of poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Drone posted:

So what stops Trump from just never nominating a successor? Or from intentionally nominating people who are so grossly underqualified that even Senate Republicans wouldn't confirm? (though tbh I literally don't know what that would look like... Trump could nominate Pepe the Frog and the Senate would confirm the fictional cartoon character along party lines).

I mean, I guess the question applies in general, what happens if a President just flat-out doesn't appoint anyone to one of the cabinet-level positions? And refuses to? Does Congress or SCOTUS have any power whatsoever (in this hypothetical scenario) to compel a President to do it, short of impeachment proceedings?

In this specific case, he has to make an appointment to keep an enemy (or at least a person he has a beef with) out of the seat. In the general case, nothing. The remedy for a president who allows the government to rot through dereliction of duty is supposed to be impeachment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Honestly the Mississippi senate election barely matters because even if the Dems somehow pull out a miracle a win they’ll just most likely lose it in 2020 along with Alabama so it won’t contribute to the fight for 50 seats.

Getting minority voters energized to get out and vote despite all the obstacles is a huge issue by itself. An Espy win would be a solid demonstration of how much power they actually have and could be a bellwether for future D success in the state.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Wow, that is vile. Workplace culture is such that anyone who doesn't take a gun is going to feel derided, and framing it as "team building" only makes that worse.

"Why do you have to be such a downer, Carol. Just take the murder-toy and come pop off a few rounds with the rest of us!"

I would 100% never go back to the office if I knew everyone who worked there owned a loving firearm.

American workplaces are rear end and the people in that rear end are toxic shitheads.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1062721405031235584

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If my boss handed me a free gun I would say "wow, is this loaded?", point it at the wall, and pull the trigger. All possible outcomes would lead to the end of the free gun program.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

eke out posted:

lol it must suck to have to try to pretend you believe this argument

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1062723523645489153

Who are they making that justification to, or is it just that they are making their position public?

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/1062403747819601920

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is my surprised face.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Skippy McPants posted:

Wow, that is vile. Workplace culture is such that anyone who doesn't take a gun is going to feel derided, and framing it as "team building" only makes that worse.

"Why do you have to be such a downer, Carol. Just take the murder-toy and come pop off a few rounds with the rest of us!"

He's actually a ridiculously nice guy, super liberal - we used to sit in AP History with another friend and talk about things like A People's History of the United States and things like that. Just about everyone hunts in the area, so he had a gun or two, but he never struck me as a gun nut. I don't really get it. At least they require gun safety training with them.

And it's not like there's any reason to need a handgun in that area - the plant is in Hortonville, we grew up in New London a few miles away, both towns are under 10,000 people. In 50 some years, there was one intentional murder - a classmate's stepfather killed her mother - it's not like there's this rash of robberies that you're going to think you need a gun to protect your family. It's like issuing lion repellent - even if it works, which it probably doesn't, and if lions are in the area, which they aren't, the odds of actually using it to protect yourself from lions are astronomically low, and then you need to worry about a pet or child choking on it.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/1062683423628845056?s=19

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

haveblue posted:

If my boss handed me a free gun I would say "wow, is this loaded?", point it at the wall, and pull the trigger. All possible outcomes would lead to the end of the free gun program.

I mean, it would also put you in jail for reckless endangerment, but do you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Edit: wrong thread

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

oh goody, Benjy "look conspiring with Kavanaugh to circumvent the rule of law was totally okay when we were doing it for Bush" Wittes is back on twitter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I want to live in a timeline where Donnie brings down NBC and Fox media empires.

Oh and also Disney because his statue is cursed.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1062735841926283265

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fox news is showing unusual amounts of foresight about avoiding the revocation of their white house pass in the next democratic administration

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Saw this on my way to work today.....I give him a few months before he goes full MAGAbomber.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

fox news is showing unusual amounts of foresight about avoiding the revocation of their white house pass in the next democratic administration

yeah lol, if this doesn't say "they see the writing on the wall" i dont know what does

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Mahoning posted:

Saw this on my way to work today.....I give him a few months before he goes full MAGAbomber.

A lot of people probably will think that, after that last bomber had all those stickers on his car.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oopsie

https://twitter.com/jedshug/status/1062742285815869440

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I'm not a lawyer, is this a serious enough oopsie that it completely undermines what DOJ argued? I recall the ACA case was also based on a completely laughable legal argument and yet it still got heard and had the Medicaid expansion get thrown out.

The right wing doesn't seem to care about whether their arguments make sense in court.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

I'm not a lawyer, is this a serious enough oopsie that it completely undermines what DOJ argued? I recall the ACA case was also based on a completely laughable legal argument and yet it still got heard and had the Medicaid expansion get thrown out.

The right wing doesn't seem to care about whether their arguments make sense in court.

At the end of the day the Supreme Court can always do whatever it wants, but assuming this guy is right this is massively embarrassing for the OLC attorney who wrote this, and they'd need to find a new argument about why it was legal instead of a time-warp argument.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Er... so Trump is now supervising Mueller?

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1062732331222552576

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Oh good, that means Mueller's job is safe.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

At the end of the day the Supreme Court can always do whatever it wants, but assuming this guy is right this is massively embarrassing for the OLC attorney who wrote this, and they'd need to find a new argument about why it was legal instead of a time-warp argument.

What makes it extra embarrassing is they already were pulling examples from the loving 1700s and 1800s so the question of "hey which laws were in place at this time?"should have been at the forefront of their minds.

Just out of curiosity do they teach attorneys to sketch out a timeline when drafting arguments? We were taught to do so when handling cases with more than two dates because it is very easy to get mixed up. Or did the time split that put us down this alternate hell-universe make that unreliable in this case?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Luppe agrees:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1062747489550266368

Seems to me like the key thing here is it would allow a reviewing court to say "You guys read the statute wrong, it's not legal to do this" rather than "The VRA is unconstitutional to the extent that it allows this to happen."

The former is relatively uncontroversial, the latter is a huge opinion that makes big waves.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/1062746191413284868

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Wow, that's like the entire press room.

No Reuters?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

yeah lol, if this doesn't say "they see the writing on the wall" i dont know what does

There’s a history of this IIRC. All the media outlets have solidarity in the access game, at least going back to Bush.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

No Reuters?

Huh. No Breitbart? No OneAmericaNews? Curious, that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Here's a good brief writeup of some of the things we can infer from the OLC memo about Whitaker's appointment.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1062760192662745088

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

enraged_camel posted:

That and Fox News is fundamentally a business at heart. I think this is pure business pragmatism winning out over the political side of the corporation.

Big business is no one's friend.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

No Reuters?

isn't reuters technically uk-based? if i'm not 100% wrong, that might be a factor.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

eke out posted:

lol it must suck to have to try to pretend you believe this argument

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1062723523645489153

so what stops him from not nominating a successor is that Rod Rosenstein would, by default, act as attorney general. he has to avoid that

To your latter point, this is why this practice should be unconstitutional regardless of whether the Vacancies Reform Act technically allows it. The Constitution is pretty black and white about this, and there's lots of poo poo by Hamilton and Madison and co about how the President being able to nominate anyone he wants without Senate involvement is anathema to good governance and how they wrote it this way to avoid that situation.

So I've been trying to figure this out and haven't been able to. Is Whitaker actually getting info from the Mueller investigation he can just pass on to the White House? Is he making decisions on anything at this point?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

eke out posted:

Here's a good brief writeup of some of the things we can infer from the OLC memo about Whitaker's appointment.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1062760192662745088

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1062768968732233733

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1062768734123802624

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lmao there's a significantly greater than zero number of Americans who think Democrats controlling the House is a good thing, and approve of Trump. We are so loving dumb as a country, my God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

rscott posted:

Lmao there's a significantly greater than zero number of Americans who think Democrats controlling the House is a good thing, and approve of Trump. We are so loving dumb as a country, my God

They like Trump's thumb in the eye of queers and women and poors and blacks and soyboys, but also haven't reached escape velocity money to buy a walled compound in New Zealand for when society collapses?