Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get that OUT of my face posted:

i read somewhere that it's really hard to increase the amount of seats on the brazilian supreme court, is that true

amazing what is possible when you elect a fascist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Oct 8, 2021

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Oct 8, 2021

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
if you want a vision of the future, imagine a pastor exorcising left-wing demons - forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipDmdIIfNk

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

bagual posted:

if you want a vision of the future, imagine a pastor exorcising left-wing demons - forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipDmdIIfNk

The Chexorcist

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

For non-brazilians: SBT (second major TV channel) started broadcasting a mysterious ad where they bring back an old slogan from the military dictatorship ("Brasil: love it or leave it")

The president of that channel just said "Eight years of Bolsonaro and Eight years of Moro" on a telethon an hour ago. The bootlicking that the media is going to give those dipshits is going to be amazing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Metal Cat posted:

I like the little cognitive dissonance that says neocons are "cryptoleftists" while at the same time praising the current trumpist natsec position on Venezuela. Very predictable that a lot of the former anti-intervention pseudo-libertarians who cry about globalism are now fully behind the militaristic hegemonic project as long as it's draped in anti-left rethoric. You can sell the same horseshit to these people over and over as long as you change the terms and framing. Yesterday's "war on terror" on the ME doesn't gain as much support nowadays, you gotta sell it as opposition to the ever-changing "globalist left" and suddenly they start fellating the MIC again. Just gotta change targets.

Granted, it'd be more colombian and brazilian people dying than american troops, so maybe that's why they can't really see the contradiction. If you check out one of those garbage sites like Breitbart, you can see that a lot of the anti-war sentiments coming from these right-wingers isn't due to the fact people overseas are getting slaughtered: it's mostly because american troops die too. The Ron Paul-esque influence on the discourse was never that great, and the parameters of opposition to war from the right-wing at large is different from that of those from a small Cato subsect.

So for the average american right-winger intervention in Venezuela can make sense under this lens. What's really dumb though, is brazilian right-wingers supporting it. They still haven't got the memo.

I think the general American right wing backlash to the War on Terror is the realization that Islamic terrorism generally is a paper tiger. That ISIS was never as strong or threatening as it was hyped up to be, and that we wasted a ton of lives and money creating it in the first place by ruining Iraq.

By comparison, military adventures against left wing governments that threaten the Washington Consensus is easy - because there's always a massive base of willing compradors in Latin America who would torture their own mothers if it meant they got to own a food truck.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Eduardo Bolsonaro openly defended criminalizing communism, even if it means "arresting 100000 people". He also cited Indonesia and Ukraine to say that "this is not that radical"

He also defended Bannon "Movement" as an answer to "Foro de São Paulo"

https://outline.com/MsH59L

edit: have in mind that, to these people, anyone even slightly critical of Bolsonaro is a commie

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Nov 12, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Elias_Maluco posted:

He also cited Indonesia and Ukraine to say that "this is not that radical"

LMAO.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Ukraine and Indonesia : countries we clearly should strive to be more like

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/alefrotabrasil/status/1061545031390167040 fair warning some gore in that, but uhh yikes

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Context?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

realtalk maybe we should start a gofundme to help brazilgoons get the gently caress outta brazil

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Someone posted it in the trump thread I was hoping someone here could explain. Its pretty easy as an american to get fed up and depressed but holy poo poo thats what actual fascism looks like. I just hope everyone in brazil is keeping their heads down and getting out if they can. Stay safe

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

realtalk maybe we should start a gofundme to help brazilgoons get the gently caress outta brazil Glenn Greenwald arm his indentured hobo dog-walker army

but yeah if there’s anyway we could help before things get any worse and the government starts loving with banking and starts flagging international transactions for “subversives” then we got to get started

we could make up for swap.avi

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Nov 13, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Terminal autist posted:

Someone posted it in the trump thread I was hoping someone here could explain. Its pretty easy as an american to get fed up and depressed but holy poo poo thats what actual fascism looks like. I just hope everyone in brazil is keeping their heads down and getting out if they can. Stay safe

Apparently one of the most wanted drug kingpins in Rio popped his head out and there was a police action/chase after the convoy he was travelling in. The two dead are the most wanted guy's bodyguards, according to Police.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terminal autist posted:

This isn't context.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

that's just the Brazil I know, its just seems strange because its in the nice part of town instead of the Favela

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think if there's a silver lining to this, it's to see the portuguese government in the future honestly try to make up for having a major meltdown and for constantly sending collective rape threats over spitting on a fountain to the future environment minister to not sell off more of the Amazon Forest. I wish our Procuradora actually reserved her middle finger to the portuguese for thisand not over people being worried about... everyting else about Bolso, really.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 11:00 on Nov 13, 2018

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

As stated before, those were the bodyguards of a kingpin, but what is being stated there is an elected congressman basically looking at human rights groups and the un and going "they're going to get so triggered by this, and we don't give a poo poo, that's how its going to work here"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Terminal autist posted:

Thats actually regular brazilian military police work, really

Whats special is a bolsonarist congressmen sharing and praising it online. Apart from that, is just our everyday "drug war" barbarism

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 11:54 on Nov 13, 2018

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If that's every day police work then no wonder Brazil elected an actual fascist. It will probably make things worse rather than better but a message of coming down super hard on criminality has to be very alluring in that type of environment where open warfare on the streets between the cops and gangs is considered normal. You'd want that to end, one way or another. In this case 'allow the police to murder all criminals'.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Flayer posted:

If that's every day police work then no wonder Brazil elected an actual fascist. It will probably make things worse rather than better but a message of coming down super hard on criminality has to be very alluring in that type of environment where open warfare on the streets between the cops and gangs is considered normal. You'd want that to end, one way or another. In this case 'allow the police to murder all criminals'.

That's pretty much how he got elected, yeah.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Flayer posted:

yeap, thats a good part of what happened

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"If you kill all the poors there will be no poverty anymore" - an idiot probably

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

THS posted:

you’re a loving dumbass just a heads up

quote:

Over the past several years, illegal immigrants have poured into the United States by the millions. The wave of illegals entering the country is steadily increasing. The people living in the border states of California, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico know this flow has to be drastically slowed and then halted. The situation is so dire in that region that the Democratic Governors of Arizona and New Mexico were forced to declare States of Emergency as a result of the flow of illegals into their states and the resulting, massive problems which it brings.

The parade of evils caused by illegal immigration is widely known, and it gets worse every day. In short, illegal immigration wreaks havoc economically, socially, and culturally; makes a mockery of the rule of law; and is disgraceful just on basic fairness grounds alone. Few people dispute this, and yet nothing is done.

A substantial part of the GOP base urgently wants Republicans, who now control the entire Federal Government, to take the lead in enforcing our nation’s immigration laws. And yet the GOP, despite its unchallenged control, does virtually nothing, infuriating this sector of its party. The White House does worse than nothing; to the extent it acts on this issue at all, it is to introduce legislation designed to sanction and approve of illegal immigration through its “guest worker” program, a first cousin of all-out amnesty for illegal immigrants.

maybe this quote helps to explain his regular appearances on tucker carlson's stormfront hour? i realize he's softened on these positions, though. maybe because they're unfashionable in the offices of the intercept, where he holds a sinecure that pays him $500,000 a year. idk im not a big brained NYU JD like glenn

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's new and nazi in Brazil rn?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bolso backpedalled from some of the stuff he said regarding getting rid of the labor ministry and merging other ministries like education and culture.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Bolso backpedalled from some of the stuff he said regarding getting rid of the labor ministry and merging other ministries like education and culture.

That seems slightly less disastrous.
I'm gonna write letters to my new dem rep to see if he can attach harsh human rights and environmental riders to weapon sales to Brazil :hai:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cargo cult posted:

maybe this quote helps to explain his regular appearances on tucker carlson's stormfront hour? i realize he's softened on these positions, though. maybe because they're unfashionable in the offices of the intercept, where he holds a sinecure that pays him $500,000 a year. idk im not a big brained NYU JD like glenn

Reaching back to a quote from 2005 when Greenwald was still a libertarian, huh?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

I'll believe the backpedalling when he's head of state.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He already backpedaled that backpedal. He said labor will still be a ministry, but together with "other stuff'

THS
Sep 15, 2017

cargo cult posted:

man that is a deep cut. you’re still on this from a month ago in this thread and digging up poo poo he has disavowed a million times. maybe your obsession with greenwald is really about something else

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Flayer posted:

That's the fallacy here, though: Brazilian police are already extremely murder-happy and have very little oversight. I've heard this straight out of officer's mouths: if they bust someone for drug trafficking and the car plates are from Rio the culprits as good as dead, the policy is to execute.The fascist candidates promise that the police "will finally be able to do their work without fear of repercussions", but that's already how it is. What they're doing here is basically posturing. They're not promising more police hires, more training, better salaries, better jail conditions. That's how they literally promise nothing new but still get votes on security.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

nerdz posted:

That's the fallacy here, though: Brazilian police are already extremely murder-happy and have very little oversight. I've heard this straight out of officer's mouths: if they bust someone for drug trafficking and the car plates are from Rio the culprits as good as dead, the policy is to execute.The fascist candidates promise that the police "will finally be able to do their work without fear of repercussions", but that's already how it is. What they're doing here is basically posturing. They're not promising more police hires, more training, better salaries, better jail conditions. That's how they literally promise nothing new but still get votes on security.

So what happens when he guts their pensions?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

THS posted:

man that is a deep cut. you’re still on this from a month ago in this thread and digging up poo poo he has disavowed a million times. maybe your obsession with greenwald is really about something else

I was gonna make a joke about finding mark ames account but even ames has dropped the grudge by now

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

So what happens when he guts their pensions?

If there's one thing Bolsonaro has always been is basically a military/police union leader. Most of his proposals in his political career were better working rights and conditions for the military. He actually planned a terrorist attack on military bases to fight for better salaries when he was a soldier.

While he's proposing that everyone gets hosed over on pensions, he's specifically promising that he will improve pensions for military and police.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

nerdz posted:

If there's one thing Bolsonaro has always been is basically a military/police union leader. Most of his proposals in his political career were better working rights and conditions for the military. He actually planned a terrorist attack on military bases to fight for better salaries when he was a soldier.

While he's proposing that everyone gets hosed over on pensions, he's specifically promising that he will improve pensions for military and police.

drat he really is the real deal

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cuba is withdrawing their doctors lol. I'm sure that the dipshits who study medicine will want to take their place on the countryside hospitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nerdz posted:

yeah, the police already can (and will) kill people whenever they want, however they want, with no consequences, as long as the victims are poor. Even when the killed are proved to be innocent, there is no consequences

The idea that the police cant fight crime because human rights prevent them from killing bad guys on sight is an absurd, its "fake news". They kill a lot, and always have. And yet, a good part of the population believes it, even as they know, and everybody knows, that our police is killing by the thousands. If Im not mistaken, our police force kills more than any other police in the world.

Obviously, that aint solving crime, it actually only gets worst. The solution? Kill more, of course