Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Is it too late for more unnerving personal stories about excruciating pain and indifferent medical care?

In late January of this year, I started having lower-right-quadrant abdominal pain that started out like period cramps, but my cramps have never been that bad; a couple Motrin knocks them down no problem, and also I don't get periods anymore thanks to Mirena (from my cold dead uterus). This pain very quickly surpassed any cramps I've ever had, and I decided to go to urgent care instead of the ER because I'm loving poor. The urgent care doctor prodded me for about two seconds and then told me that what I was feeling was an ovulation cramp.

"I'm thirty-eight, I've been having those since I was 12 and I know what they feel like," I said. "This is much worse and it's actually getting even worse than it was, right now."

"Well, you have to understand that you might be a little emotional," he said. "You're ovulating, after all." No poo poo, that's what he said.

"It's not an ectopic pregnancy? Appendicitis?" No, no, no, he said. Ovulation cramp. Take Motrin, and try to calm down. (I was calm; I was the kind of calm that happens when you're so fixated on one thing, in this case pain, that nothing else can get purchase.) So I went home, took Motrin, and within half an hour the pain was spiking to an 8/10 and I was throwing up. Off to the ER, where I was admitted immediately (the admitting nurse had some choice words about the urgent care doc) and given wonderful delicious IV morphine.

The nurse thought it might be my appendix, but what it turned out to be was a 10cm teratoma, bulging with hair, teeth, fingernails and little bones, which had developed on my right ovary, adhered itself to my intestines, and twisted my Fallopian tube into macramé. The whole arrangement was going necrotic and if they hadn't cut me open and removed the giant mutant tumor, tube and ovary I would have been looking at wildfire sepsis.

Worst pain I've ever had. "Emotional".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

god capitalism is great aint it

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
honestly the content in this thread has been a pretty big factor for my moving further left into just straight up anarchism the last few years

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

wow weird ive never heard of something awful ever radicalizing anyone

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

spite house posted:

Is it too late for more unnerving personal stories about excruciating pain and indifferent medical care?
[...]
Worst pain I've ever had. "Emotional".

Aaaaaaaaaa
teratomas are definitely unnerving and 10cm is not small wtf

I'll throw my uterus into the ring of "ladies who get told they're having lady problems when they're sick". For an entire year I was in and out of hospital because of my inability to keep down food and water. Had to argue with an ER doc multiple times to get admitted to get IV fluids. One of them thought I was just being emotional.

Even after a year I was still asked if I was pregnant and that could be causing it. Told the doc no, he asked how long it had been since I had a pregnancy test because "you never know". Pretty sure lesbians can tell sometimes.

Anyway, turns out your stomach can just stop working for no reason and there's no cure. It's called gastroparesis and it's not fun.

That article says you can get a stomach pacemaker but what it neglects to mention is the 50% mortality rate.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Miss posted:

That article says you can get a stomach pacemaker but what it neglects to mention is the 50% mortality rate.

Wait, what? Fifty percent of the time, the pacemaker kills you? That doesn’t sound right. What does that 50% actually represent? Is it the percentage of people who get the pacemaker, but still succumb to the disease?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Tashilicious posted:

I've seen this story a few times over the past couple of years. Didn't it turn out to possibly be a case of fraud? Gonna have to find other articles.

As the article discusses, there’s nothing to suggest this except for the bizarreness of the case. The family has been saddled with a nightmare house that they cannot sell or live in and are ostracized by neighbors who think they are lowering property values. Unlike like the Amityville house, where the owners immediately tried to sell the story for profit, the family actively avoided the media for years.

It’s such a weird case and, once the shock of the letters wears out, the horror becomes the ease with which the neighbors turn on the couple and their kids.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

QuoProQuid posted:

As the article discusses, there’s nothing to suggest this except for the bizarreness of the case. The family has been saddled with a nightmare house that they cannot sell or live in and are ostracized by neighbors who think they are lowering property values. Unlike like the Amityville house, where the owners immediately tried to sell the story for profit, the family actively avoided the media for years.

It’s such a weird case and, once the shock of the letters wears out, the horror becomes the ease with which the neighbors turn on the couple and their kids.

I swear to god there was *another* case like this and it turned out to be a jilted buyer. So now I'm all confused.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Wait, what? Fifty percent of the time, the pacemaker kills you? That doesn’t sound right. What does that 50% actually represent? Is it the percentage of people who get the pacemaker, but still succumb to the disease?

Just going off what my current doc said. She's kind of crazy though. It's not a recommended treatment until they iron out the kinks, apparently

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I let out an involuntary "fuuuuck!!!!" as soon as I read "teratoma" so yeah this is the right thread. How long does it even take for one of those to get to 10cm?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

I swear to god there was *another* case like this and it turned out to be a jilted buyer. So now I'm all confused.

You might be thinking of the Kathy Rowe case.

quote:

Rowe, 53, was furious and wanted to send a message to the home’s new occupants, Jerry Rice, his nine-months-pregnant wife, Janice Ruhter, and their toddler, Brody, according to People.[...]

Rice found out how serious the threats had become when he happened to search his wife’s name online and turned up an advertisement luring strangers to his home to have sex with his spouse while he was at work, according to People. The ad promised a “Carmel Valley Freak Show” — and pretty soon, strange men began showing up at the couple’s front door, according to ABC News.

When one of the men encountered Rice instead of his wife, the man wrote back to Rowe to complain and she egged him on by pretending to be Ruhter, according to ABC.

“I’m pretty much home all day, every day, bored and incredibly horny,” Rowe wrote the man, according to ABC. “I love to be surprised and have a man just show up at the door, and force his way in the door and on me, totally taking me while I say ‘no.’ ”

In another correspondence, Rowe told an online solicitor to stop by the family’s home during the week between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.

“I like the element of surprise,” she wrote before sending the man Ruhter’s address.

“She wanted me raped,” Ruhter told ABC News.

People do crazy things for houses.

QuoProQuid has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Nov 14, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

I always just figured it was a combination of a prank/some dick getting his jollies off and the family reacting with reasonable fear because what if it’s not but then just getting super paranoid which I think is the literal definition of how terrorism works

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Telsa Cola posted:

Really weird question (I am an archaeologist), how well do you think those would stay with human remains before degrading?

I dunno. The implantable lenses are made of collamer ("a collagen co-polymer that contains a small amount of purified collagen") so they sound kind of biodegradable but I don't really know. If I can get hold of the cornea surgeon today, I'll ask him.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

spite house posted:

10cm teratoma
Congratulations ma'am. It's a teeths and hair!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

spite house posted:

The nurse thought it might be my appendix, but what it turned out to be was a 10cm teratoma, bulging with hair, teeth, fingernails and little bones, which had developed on my right ovary, adhered itself to my intestines, and twisted my Fallopian tube into macramé. The whole arrangement was going necrotic and if they hadn't cut me open and removed the giant mutant tumor, tube and ovary I would have been looking at wildfire sepsis.

I’m really sorry for your suffering but damned if I don’t love a good teratoma story.

My mom had one of those removed after her third kid and my siblings and I always used to joke about our long lost brother Toothy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of my grandma's brothers died fighting Franco in Spain and her other brother died fighting Hitler in Italy. Don't know what that has to do with anything, but still kinda unnerving I guess. Lot of fascism fighting in my lineage.

Then again a great great aunt or something on my mom's side got sent back to Sicily for being an anarchist.

My family is pretty cool.

Unfortunately, you're looking like the Lt. Dan of the line. Best get to fash bashin' before it's too late!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than have a migraine.

Same. I've been kicked in the nuts. I've also had a needle stuck in my scrotum when I had my vasectomy.

I'd take either one over a serious migraine.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

They should fine 7-11 corporate for knowingly giving franchises to illegals.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MightyJoe36 posted:

Same. I've been kicked in the nuts. I've also had a needle stuck in my scrotum when I had my vasectomy.

I'd take either one over a serious migraine.

I don’t get them often but when I do I just get the migraines that are almost kind of cool, I get peacock colored auras around everything and I just feel like I ate an edible. I’m definitely dysfunctional and a little light sensitive but not in a painful way

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The Big Word posted:

I let out an involuntary "fuuuuck!!!!" as soon as I read "teratoma" so yeah this is the right thread. How long does it even take for one of those to get to 10cm?
Years. Years and years, and the fucker hid out. I'd even had an ultrasound at the gyno's six months previously and she didn't catch it; gynecological tumors are notoriously resistant to imaging. I'm also pretty slim and despite Christeene (that's what I named it) taking up a huge amount of real estate in my abdominal cavity, my stomach was still almost flat. I can buy "I didn't know I was pregnant" stories now.

They're weird, fell, fairylike things, teratomas. There's something magical about them, in a dark way. Especially since this one apparently got a Romulan cloaking device from somewhere.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of Stephen King's weirder, more obscure novels, The Dark Half has a terratoma as its jumping off point.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
There is a well-loved little girl character from the Japanese series Black Jack whose entire existence comes about because she's a psychic teratoma that gets put into a plastic body. The person who hosts the teratoma inside herself wants it to be removed and disposed of, but Black Jack hears its thoughts and gives it life.

Pinoko is the first example I can think of, of the '18 yo woman stuck in a child body' trope that has become so creepy in anime

:nws: :nms: nothing too bad but slightly gorey drawings, read from right-to-left
https://i.imgur.com/FwG3OhG.jpg

There is SO much merch of this weird ageless teratoma baby to be had

EDIT: AAAAAAAA AAAAAAA https://www.waseda.jp/top/en-news/22514

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Nov 14, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spite house posted:

Years. Years and years, and the fucker hid out. I'd even had an ultrasound at the gyno's six months previously and she didn't catch it; gynecological tumors are notoriously resistant to imaging. I'm also pretty slim and despite Christeene (that's what I named it) taking up a huge amount of real estate in my abdominal cavity, my stomach was still almost flat. I can buy "I didn't know I was pregnant" stories now.

They're weird, fell, fairylike things, teratomas. There's something magical about them, in a dark way. Especially since this one apparently got a Romulan cloaking device from somewhere.

This is better writing than the actual Stephen King Christine novel for what it’s worth

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is better writing than the actual Stephen King Christine novel for what it’s worth

Christine owns, for a book written in the middle of King's four year coke binge

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don’t get them often but when I do I just get the migraines that are almost kind of cool, I get peacock colored auras around everything and I just feel like I ate an edible. I’m definitely dysfunctional and a little light sensitive but not in a painful way

I've heard people talk about auras but have never had one myself. Sometimes they are accompanied by light sensitivity and nausea. Fortunately, I don't get them as often as I used to.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Randaconda posted:

All I can remember is the old man who went on and on about the car smelling like pussy, and how effectively foul that was because he was so gross about it

ugh

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Randaconda posted:

Christine is weird because it's first person for two parts, then third person for the last part, and the perspective shift serves no purpose that I can tell.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrangersInTheNight posted:

All I can remember is the old man who went on and on about the car smelling like pussy, and how effectively foul that was because he was so gross about it

ugh

Well, he was supposed to be contemptible.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I think this was featured in this thread, so here's an update: It looks like the 2016 Pike County murders were not the work of the Mexican Mafia after all, but it was instead a family feud.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46202899

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I think this was featured in this thread, so here's an update: It looks like the 2016 Pike County murders were not the work of the Mexican Mafia after all, but it was instead a family feud.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46202899

The guy's head literally looks like a penis with a beard.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

The best Stephen King cocaine story is he didn't remember writing Cujo at all until his agent started talking about selling the movie rights.

Texas Monthly has some great true crime longread stories and this is one of the best, a story about the Servant Girl Annihilator. I know you're wondering how they got that nickname, turns out they annihilated a bunch of servants!
https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/capital-murder/

Lady Charlemagne
Apr 23, 2008

GOD I'M TIRED

spite house posted:

Christeene story

Should’ve named it “emotions” and mailed it to the urgent care doc. What a dick.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

And The Dark Half, where a major plot point is a teratoma.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The best Stephen King cocaine story is he didn't remember writing Cujo at all until his agent started talking about selling the movie rights.

There is a similar story about Steven Tyler hearing a song on the radio and suggesting to his band they should do a cover of it. One of his band mates had to point out it was their song.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Texas Monthly has some great true crime longread stories and this is one of the best, a story about the Servant Girl Annihilator. I know you're wondering how they got that nickname, turns out they annihilated a bunch of servants!
https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/capital-murder/

Skip Hollandsworth expanded this into a book called The Midnight Assassin, it’s fantastic. I thought about bringing it up a couple months ago when y’all were having Jack the Ripper chat, but evidently Scotland Yard thought the time frame and MO we’re close enough to send folks all the way to Austin to look into whether the Annihilator and the Ripper were the same dude. It’s doubtful, but I found it interesting that they’d even heard about the killings. Austin only had a few thousand residents back then.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Man that must have been a shitload of coke.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kitfox88 posted:

Man that must have been a shitload of coke.

He was also drinking an insane amount of beer during the coke phase.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Was the car accident related to the coke and booze or just bad luck? :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hoover Dam posted:

I like to see it as the US, Canada, [NZ,] and Australia, upon leaving England, all got in a contest to see who could treat their indigenous the shittiest

AlbieQuirky posted:

The English-speaking world is pretty hosed, but at least we'll have company in the imperialist handbasket to Hell (Germany, Belgium, Japan, China, Spain, Portugal, France, etc.)

~imperialism and colonialism are bad not just because of the genocide and crimes that happened at the time, but because of their lasting legacies~

Kanine posted:

honestly the content in this thread has been a pretty big factor for my moving further left into just straight up anarchism the last few years

if you're not already in an affinity group (or the anarchist caucus of DSA), DM me. Also Google murray bookchin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

Was the car accident related to the coke and booze or just bad luck? :v:

When he got hit by the van? Nah, he had been sober like 12 years then, he was just walking on the side of the road for exercise and somebody so hilariously Maine hick he could be from one of King's novels hit him.