Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

can i do heavy deadlifts with a SLAP tear in my rotator cuff? i've heard there is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift.

LET YOUR BODY HEAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also I'm no expert or anything but I'd say no, I certainly wouldn't. There's still quite a bit of weight hanging on your shoulders if you're doing it right and you'd be risking aggravating it

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a great time to do a shitload of squats.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

uncomfortable to put my left arm back there to hold the bar. gym has a safety squat bar though...

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

uncomfortable to put my left arm back there to hold the bar. gym has a safety squat bar though...

Frontbar squats, goblet squats, farmer carry splitsquats... you got options my man.

Squat squat squat

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

jarofpiss posted:

just do more squats with no weight. do hundreds of squats.

squat til u drop.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah back when I had shoulder problems (luckily no longer) deadlifts would aggravate it

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

had a pre-workout protein shake for the first time and all i gotta say is good lord have i been missing out

new personal records and i still feel like i could wrestle a lion and win

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cool dance moves posted:

had a pre-workout protein shake for the first time and all i gotta say is good lord have i been missing out

Which one ya using? I'd use them only for leg days or whatever because with most a tolerance builds up fast

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

jarofpiss posted:

I had the same thing, get really good at front squats. I couldn't really do bench or ohp either.

Does your gym have those stair climber machines? That was pretty much all I could do after surgery while in a sling.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

cool dance moves posted:

I wonder sometimes if I should eat/drink something with protein before working out. Years of running has made me really averse to eating right before exercising and the weights I do now have a decent cardio element to them which makes me think they'd be cramp city if I slammed a protein shake right before.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

oh it was just a protein shake? lol ya nevermind go for it

you don't lose anything by having a snack before a workout, especially if that snack is crystal meth

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

Which one ya using? I'd use them only for leg days or whatever because with most a tolerance builds up fast

pre-workout was one of these:

i bought a case of them a while ago and i'm working my way through them one workout at a time so i can get to the bag of AMP wheybolic that i bought. google images is showing me a Wheybolic Ripped and Original and stuff, but none of them look like what i have

as for building a tolerance, do you think it'll be fine if i only take it twice a week before and after the gym, plus one day when i only take it post-workout?

e:

Epic High Five posted:

oh it was just a protein shake? lol ya nevermind go for it

you don't lose anything by having a snack before a workout, especially if that snack is crystal meth

ok cool

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ride the snake

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

probably you should look into getting a cheap blender bottle and buying your whey by the bottle, those pre-mixed add up really fast

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

probably you should look into getting a cheap blender bottle and buying your whey by the bottle, those pre-mixed add up really fast

Oh, I already have a blender bottle! As for the whey, I'll get some once I run out of the stuff I have right now. I took a quick peek at the protein thread in YLLS and yeah, I'm not buying any more pre-mixed stuff. Right now I'm just working through the stuff I already bought a few weeks ago

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Opinions on creatine? Search results are favorable. How about you all?

edit: My intended use-case:
1) Started working out again. Plan to get back into my old '3 to 5 days per week' habit.
2) I drink shakes for breakfast. Usually Huel w/instant coffee thrown in.
3) It'd be easy to add a few grams of creatine

I've also started calorie restriction, reduced meat-intake and am not in my early 20s anymore. Seems like a little supplementation might be helpful.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Accretionist posted:

Opinions on creatine? Search results are favorable. How about you all?

edit: My intended use-case:
1) Started working out again. Plan to get back into my old '3 to 5 days per week' habit.
2) I drink shakes for breakfast. Usually Huel w/instant coffee thrown in.
3) It'd be easy to add a few grams of creatine

I've also started calorie restriction, reduced meat-intake and am not in my early 20s anymore. Seems like a little supplementation might be helpful.

it's cheap as poo poo, no reason not to

5g a day is the general recommendation and no need to start with huge doses, get whatever is cheapest it's all good

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Agronox posted:

ride the snake

SCAN ME

THS
Sep 15, 2017

got out of my running routine because of daylight savings time and now i dont get out of work until 6pm. its too loving dark

buying a headlamp so i can run at night. its spooky. might get some pepper spray (not just for DANGEROUS HOODLUMS but also dogs)

hope i dont trip and fall and die, or get hit by a car!!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I AM REBORN AND I'VE GOT YOU TO THANK, JIMMY TANGO!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Addamere posted:

im sorry for not literally wanting to eat the rich, im on a diet

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

move the rich around on your plate and surreptitiously dump the rich in a flower pot after pointing across the room saying “What’s that?!?”

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Just knocked out my first 9:30 mile in a long rear end time, and I felt like I still could have pushed it faster by the end.

Shooting for 9:00/mi now

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, used to like to do squats. I also had a lot of back pain, and I thought that helped

Then I discovered that I've a sciatica in my back from sleeping on a lovely mattress in my early 20s, and squats were in fact the cause of the back pain

Anyway, what can I do that is like squats but not aggravating my back?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, used to like to do squats. I also had a lot of back pain, and I thought that helped

Then I discovered that I've a sciatica in my back from sleeping on a lovely mattress in my early 20s, and squats were in fact the cause of the back pain

Anyway, what can I do that is like squats but not aggravating my back?

Dumbell lunges

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Depending on which part of your back hurts you might have better luck with front squats, bulgarian split squats are good too.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

They're not so common, but if you make enough offerings to your shrines of Ed Coan and Ray Williams, they might bless a nearby gym with a belt squat platform. Or you can make your own with a dip belt and a pair of high enough boxes, but it's kind of awkward to get in and out of.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

I've been reading that CBD is good for treating muscle soreness. Anybody have any experience with that?

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

cool dance moves posted:

I've been reading that CBD is good for treating muscle soreness. Anybody have any experience with that?

Vape that poo poo bro

CBD definitely relaxes my muscles after a lift. research who you buy from as the synthetic poo poo can be nasty.

thread in tcc has some online sources.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Just set a what I think is a personal best mile. At least since I can remember.

9:04

Next time I'll try and keep the speed more consistant and I'll easily break sub 9

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Any Chicago C-SPAMmers looking to get into rock climbing? I've got guest passes and will happily climb walls with you while Wearing the Hat.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Where can I learn the secrets of foam rolling?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Renewed my gym membership, gonna get PUMPED

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1069638141126963200

fake news?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Lol lifting up a weight = "extreme athlete"

They're right that the average adult gets enough protein because the average adult is entirely sedentary, not exactly an ideal to strive for.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Dec 4, 2018

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Maybe a bullshit headline probably written my someone other than the articles author since it's full of quotes like this

quote:

Vegans can benefit from protein supplements since they do not eat animal-based protein sources

quote:

Also, individuals recovering from surgery or an injury can also benefit from extra protein. So, too, can older people.

quote:

After six months, researchers found the high protein group had significantly improved their muscle function — almost twice as much as the control group.

But then it does conclude with

quote:

Bottom line, if you think you need more protein in your diet, consider these questions: Are you are an extreme athlete; are you recovering from injury or surgery; or are you 60 years or older?

I would like to know what they consider an "extreme athlete" since apparently only 2.5 hours a week is considered "moderate exercise"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you're eating a good normal diet and aren't doing intense workouts, you probably get enough yeah

hardly anybody eats a normal diet tho and even just stuff like weightlifting will ramp up your protein needs noticeably beyond the RDA