Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

This is pretty much true of anything to do with living a normal life in this day and age.
gently caress off... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to gently caress off. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got painkillers?

e: 1222 is when Scotland adopted the red lion on yellow flag that isn't the current flag.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you're in the position to start a new life in Australia I don't think you're doing too bad.

Or Canada.

Tsaedje posted:

Presumably this is a vote of confidence of the Tory party in Thersea May, which will just pass because the majority of Tory MPs don't want a leadership contest with a month to go before Christmas and no Brexit agreement

Yeah I'm guessing nobody still wants the lovely stick.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

good meeting, then

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1062831927231741953

My balls are bluer than the Tory Party Conference background, and are going to start falling apart pretty soon.

Someone should keep a running total of the number of times each journalist has "reported" this in the last year. You'd think they'd at least be a little self aware about it by now, but apparently not

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you're in the position to start a new life in Australia I don't think you're doing too bad.

See, thing is, I came back home to earn good money because there were gently caress all jobs available in my trade when I left.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Lol this is literally their twitter bio.

quote:

“Tyranny is the deliberate removal of nuance.” Albert Maysles.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
Prediction time.

• Despite lots of huffing and puffing, no senior minister will quit.
  • A couple of junior ones might, but lol who cares.
  • There's no vote of confidence, because no one wants to inherit the poison chalice.
  • The agreement passes, thanks to support from Labour who accept it's better than total economic melt down. The majority of the ERG tow the party line.
  • Arlene Foster self-immolates outside Parliament

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Saw some speculative numbers on ITV news (wasn't listening just saw in the background) something like for TM's agreement looks like 234 and against 370 something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If May had her druthers, or even a single druther, she'd have got out ahead of this by saying "Given the severe gravity of this legislation and the consequences of exiting the EU, it is only right that we provide a briefing to our counterparts in the Labour Party." and then she can yell at anyone who criticises her over it for putting partisanship ahead of the national good or whatever.

Instead she's managed to make it as transparent as the void of loving space that she's desperate for Labour's votes because she must be well short of what she needs with her own party. lol.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sadsack posted:

Prediction time.

• Despite lots of huffing and puffing, no senior minister will quit.
  • A couple of junior ones might, but lol who cares.
  • There's no vote of confidence, because no one wants to inherit the poison chalice.
  • The agreement passes, thanks to support from Labour who accept it's better than total economic melt down. The majority of the ERG tow the party line.
  • Arlene Foster self-immolates outside Parliament

sounds about right tbh

and we end up with the most pointless of soft Brexits just so she can say 'look I did a Brexit'

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's a shame more people don't rub their kids nose in it when they do their first unassisted poo poo.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So... is it likely that there could be a vote of no confidence against May? Are the brexiteers mad enough?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She's drutherproof.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

So... is it likely that there could be a vote of no confidence against May? Are the brexiteers mad enough?

Who loving knows, this is all so transparent. The public know all the facts.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Saw some speculative numbers on ITV news (wasn't listening just saw in the background) something like for TM's agreement looks like 234 and against 370 something.

Bravado. Most of the Cabinet hated it but they voted to accept it anyway. With the exception of JRM and his crew, I wouldn't be surprised if May got her majority.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Ms Adequate posted:

If May had her druthers, or even a single druther, she'd have got out ahead of this by saying "Given the severe gravity of this legislation and the consequences of exiting the EU, it is only right that we provide a briefing to our counterparts in the Labour Party." and then she can yell at anyone who criticises her over it for putting partisanship ahead of the national good or whatever.

Instead she's managed to make it as transparent as the void of loving space that she's desperate for Labour's votes because she must be well short of what she needs with her own party. lol.

Any attempt at bipartisanship shows that Labour aren't dangerously incapable of governing, which she can never do.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think so, they'll probably close ranks again. They can gnash and wail their teeth, but I reckon they'll push it through with gritted teeth. It is objectively better than no deal, and they probably reckon they could ride a wave of 'crisis averted' and resume pretending they're the natural party of government

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

maybe. it would be a bad idea though, because she probably survives it and then they've blown their chance

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There's no way this passes, lol if you think the DUP won't call a No Confidence and help vote this government out if they try and get it all the way through the commons.

The Brexit Rebels might be cowards but the DUP aren't going to sacrifice the entire reason for their party existing just to help prop up this government.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lightning Knight posted:

God, it's hard to know for sure, there are more than the required number in the ERG, but they've also talked the talk but refused to do anything many times in the last year. Ultimately the only one who knows is Graham Brady.

Problem is that if they challenge May and she wins the no-confidence vote she can't be challenged for a year.

If I had to bet on it, if you put a gun to my head I'd say they won't have the numbers.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My hot take prediction is that the DUP vote against but it's carried because the Lib Dems decide to "act in the national interest" and vote it through

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I read the backstop section of the agreement and it's hilariously messed up.

If no solution is found to the hard border situation before 2021, NI and the UK enter a joint 'single customs territory', bound to EU custom rules.

So the UK can't make trade deals with anyone else or have any say on what those rules are, or even end the backstop without agreement from the EU. :lol:

It's almost as if this whole Brexit thing is a poorly thought out huge waste of time 🤔

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Lightning Knight posted:

Until they actually pull the trigger, who knows.

They've been threatening her with it for a while now, but have been too spineless to go through with it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

The Brexit Rebels might be cowards but the DUP aren't going to sacrifice the entire reason for their party existing just to help prop up this government.
They already got a couple billion extra quid to hand out to their mates and no trials over RHI, plus no change in their provincial abortion laws, seems like they're doing quite well out of the arrangement and could quite easily keep tapping the government up for cash forever?

Need some new light bulbs for the border scanners for a cool hundred mil or two, that kind of thing. Plus ofc the potential benefits of a customs DMZ for people opening up offices in NI to keep trading simple with the EU etc.

They'll probably pretend to be narked about this for a while though for sure.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Fans posted:

There's no way this passes, lol if you think the DUP won't call a No Confidence and help vote this government out if they try and get it all the way through the commons.

Someone whose family is mostly DUP voters, it has been jaw-dropping these last couple of years to see just how little understanding the tories had of what the DUP is. They are the very worst kind of mobsters you can possibly imagine

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MikeCrotch posted:

My hot take prediction is that the DUP vote against but it's carried because the Lib Dems decide to "act in the national interest" and vote it through

Are we seriously down to the point of "rely on the Lib Dems to do ANYTHING"? God, we're even more hosed than I realized.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

jBrereton posted:

They already got a couple billion extra quid to hand out to their mates and no trials over RHI, plus no change in their provincial abortion laws, seems like they're doing quite well out of the arrangement and could quite easily keep tapping the government up for cash forever?

Need some new light bulbs for the border scanners for a cool hundred mil or two, that kind of thing. Plus ofc the potential benefits of a customs DMZ for people opening up offices in NI to keep trading simple with the EU etc.

This is the DUP's entire reason for existing. There is zero, zero chance they vote for this Brexit deal.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Are we seriously down to the point of "rely on the Lib Dems to do ANYTHING"? God, we're even more hosed than I realized.

I mean I don't want this deal to pass so

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

This is the DUP's entire reason for existing. There is zero, zero chance they vote for this Brexit deal.
The entire reason for the DUP to exist is to channel funds from the UK government into the hands of a small clique of the family and friends of its political leadership. Whether they vote for or against this agreement is only going to be decided on that basis and that basis alone.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

jBrereton posted:

And if the DUP were purely motivated by cash this would make sense but they're not. You're really underestimating how hardline they are on their Unionist views.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

crispix posted:

Someone whose family is mostly DUP voters, it has been jaw-dropping these last couple of years to see just how little understanding the tories had of what the DUP is. They are the very worst kind of mobsters you can possibly imagine

Do not underestimate my imagination.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MikeCrotch posted:

I mean I don't want this deal to pass so

I mean, again, I'm an absolute dope when it comes to things like this, but when the rest of the thread are talking about hoarding food if there's no deal, I feel like I should be hoping this deal passes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Niric posted:

Someone should keep a running total of the number of times each journalist has "reported" this in the last year. You'd think they'd at least be a little self aware about it by now, but apparently not

They don't care, it's plotline fuel. Person says thing! Wow! *later* not thing after all, what a twist!

"Jeremy Corbyn is going to force the no deal brexit he craves on us #FBPE #BackTheresa"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

And if the DUP were purely motivated by cash this would make sense but they're not. You're really underestimating how hardline they are on their Unionist views.
They would claim literally anything was either a betrayal or the best possible, most vital deal for their constituents depending on what they thought would give them the most power and potential leverage in the future. Currently that is grandstanding, we'll see if it's changed by tomorrow.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I doubt it'll come to that. Based on Corbyn's reaction Labour will whip against and although I'm sure there'll be some rebels, the big issue is tory hard brexiteers. There's no official membership list of the European Research Group but in February the letter from them to May gained 62 signatures from backbenchers. Even if a chunk of them fall in line it's still enough noes to kill the deal.

May needs Labour's support for this to get through parliament.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

gently caress the meme game on that Corbyn tweet is brutal

https://twitter.com/SPD2212/status/1062844275854053377

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, I'm SpartacusshieldknifehashtagFBPE

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

No, I'm SpartacusshieldknifehashtagFBPE

It's almost sad that they've spent time and precious mental effort coming up with a withering Twitter handle that'll show all those Corbynites just how empty their idol's politics are...
and they just end up looking like twats making sub-South Park jokes.

minema
May 31, 2011
The secretary for the local Labour branch came round today to ask if I'd be attending the voting for our new councillor and seemed mildly disapproving that I'd missed the shortlisting meeting. I didn't know joining Labour would lead to these sorts of interruptions in my dinner or I might not have bothered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I don't like to blow my own trumpet but me calling that spartacus clown a "loving cretin" on twitter was deemed worthy of a 24 hour lock, while calling Boris Johnson a racist cretin was only worthy of a 12 hour lock