Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Nothing Trump does is good, even accidentally, so please tell me why this criminal justice reform bill is bad.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1062825530091823105

This was one of the pieces of legislation for which Progressive Punch rated Beto poorly for his backing, and all I could think of is that it was because the Dem caucus was opposed to it for some reason.

Other mystifying "he's bad" scores came from their holding it against him that he voted for medicaid recipients to be provided residential treatment for substance abuse, and for health savings accounts used to cover non-prescription, OTC medical stuff, like menstrual products, as was the case prior to the ACA being passed. (The ACA highly narrowed how and for what HSAs could be used, prolly as a budget offset for those hundreds of billions of dollars that the Act funnels to private insurers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

by which of course we mean stop remembering that thing that we confirmed happened, in favor of the story we'd prefer to tell about how our friend Obama would never have signed away any hope of it happening

all in the name of getting health insurance companies to defend it from attacks going forwards, that thing they -absolutely- didn't renege on

instantly

at no cost to themselves

Well thats a far better source than what VS posted and actually lays poo poo out. There are still weird things in there (like it claims Baucus said he would vote for a public option when he was on the record against it) and I'm not sure if they could have passed the public option via reconciliation, it actually goes into decent detail. Though I'm annoyed that he frequently sources himself on MSNBC for the article, but doesn't actually have clips (though I guess that makes sense for 2010)

Thanks

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 15, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1062862729915101184

joe manchin should be in a sewer

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

by which of course we mean stop remembering that thing that we confirmed happened, in favor of the story we'd prefer to tell about how our friend Obama would never have signed away any hope of it happening

all in the name of getting health insurance companies to defend it from attacks going forwards, that thing they -absolutely- didn't renege on

instantly

at no cost to themselves

What does this have to do with Pelosi? The accusation was that Pelosi killed the public option, which is 100% false.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TMZ and like all rags are all regressive chuds.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Avenatti might literally have Wohl wacked if this is indeed a frame job by him. So that’ll be nice.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

That's a pretty glaring difference, TMZ. The big question is who leaked this to them, I guess. It's not like they would have someone constantly phoning up the cops to see who got arrested that day.

This is absolutely a thing they do. They routinely pay off cops, nurses and EMTs in exchange for tips, monitor court record filings etc

Do you... Not know anything about TMZ? They are considered scum by other paparazzi, let that sink in.

Oh and of course dude who owns it is a chud

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Putting Bernie Sanders in charge of voter outreach is not a bad idea, but Manchin should be in charge of exactly jack poo poo.

Schumer is so useless god drat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PhazonLink posted:

TMZ and like all rags are all regressive chuds.

I wouldn't even call it malicious as much as utterly incompetent. They probably jumped on a lead that went nowhere because who the gently caress leaks to TMZ

Koalas Massacre posted:

This is absolutely a thing they do. They routinely pay off cops, nurses and EMTs in exchange for tips, monitor court record filings etc

Do you... Not know anything about TMZ? They are considered scum by other paparazzi, let that sink in.

Oh and of course dude who owns it is a chud

I had not realized they were that incredibly scummy, I thought they just had scores of people chasing celebrities. Makes sense tho

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They aren't arresting a guy because Jacob Wohl filed a false report out of nowhere. It's likely another woman and TMZ just hosed up and assumed it was his ex-wife.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

WV is a sewer dude. Just a really, really old one.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Bots on twitter are really pushing the domestic violence towards the estranged wife storyline. Even with the retraction by TMZ, most posts are calling him a wife beater or names his wife as the accuser.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Okay if this is true I'm all onboard the dems bad train, what the hell.

Thread ... good?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Just about the only thing from TMZ where I raise an eyebrow and think "huh, that is probably true", is MMA-related news on TMZ sports. And thats only because Dana White loves giving TMZ news tips for some loving stupid reason.

On literally any other topic, I wait for confirmation from someone else. Maybe celebrity deaths too, they've been right fairly often about that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

What does this have to do with Pelosi? The accusation was that Pelosi killed the public option, which is 100% false.

the public option was traded away, with the full knowledge and acceptance of democratic leadership, well before any bill made it to the House. you were presented with a kabuki play and expected to unquestioningly buy it when you were told "for, uh, reasons, we've decided it's just not worth it to even try this."

pelosi got the "jingle your keys in front of their faces and hope they're too stupid to ask questions" part of the deal. to her credit, she's the only part of dem leadership who delivered what she was asked to deliver, and as such the fact that she alone managed to evade career-ending consequences makes a certain degree of sense.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TulliusCicero posted:

Putting Bernie Sanders in charge of voter outreach is not a bad idea, but Manchin should be in charge of exactly jack poo poo.

in exchange for his fine work voting for kavanaugh and hating on black lives matter, i'd put him in charge of cleaning the congressional toilets

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hey so just to confirm, we should be getting the final results for FL by tomorrow, right?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Manchin keeps getting tricked by his GOP friends. His communications will be decorous bipartisan poo poo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Niwrad posted:

They aren't arresting a guy because Jacob Wohl filed a false report out of nowhere. It's likely another woman and TMZ just hosed up and assumed it was his ex-wife.

Wohl is probably just taking credit because he's a stupid poo poo who thinks he's a puppetmaster. But if he's not, then this is going to burn him even more than he's already been burned.

I'm going to stick with "Avanatti is probably as much of a poo poo as we all thought he was" unless actual reporters pick at this a bit and the whole thing falls apart.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Hey so just to confirm, we should be getting the final results for FL by tomorrow, right?

Definitely not. Tomorrow's the machine recount deadline, not the hand recount deadline (prior to any judgments extending the deadlines, which dems are requesting)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

No she didn't, the House bill included a public option.

It was a lovely public option that the CBO estimated would do nothing and be worthless because it was effectively barred from costing less than private insurance, so she's responsible for it sucking, but not for it getting stripped out which happened in the senate was Obama's doing as part of a deal he struck with insurance companies

When I was reading how the public option never got past the Finance Committee when it hit the Senate (as opposed to The Great Lie that it was Lieberman's fault for singlehandedly killing it), I was struck by the fact that the House public option was the ability to purchase Medicare--but without any subsidies to consumers as were given to private insurers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Wohl is probably just taking credit because he's a stupid poo poo who thinks he's a puppetmaster. But if he's not, then this is going to burn him even more than he's already been burned.

I'm going to stick with "Avanatti is probably as much of a poo poo as we all thought he was" unless actual reporters pick at this a bit and the whole thing falls apart.

Yeah, he's a con artist who wants people to think he's more than some 20 year old working off a laptop in his parents basement.

And he's not burned. The feds won't do poo poo about his bullshit stunt.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Avenatti denies

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1062867773846474752?s=21

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Have another "Trump is super angry and pissy because there wasn't a red wave" story
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1062874244592386048

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I knew the story would be about the superdelegate changes even before I clicked the link.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Its like if MSNBC was in charge of casting an Odd Couple remake

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

the public option was traded away, with the full knowledge and acceptance of democratic leadership, well before any bill made it to the House. you were presented with a kabuki play and expected to unquestioningly buy it when you were told "for, uh, reasons, we've decided it's just not worth it to even try this."

pelosi got the "jingle your keys in front of their faces and hope they're too stupid to ask questions" part of the deal. to her credit, she's the only part of dem leadership who delivered what she was asked to deliver, and as such the fact that she alone managed to evade career-ending consequences makes a certain degree of sense.

This is revisionist history horseshit as far as the house was concerned. Who knows what would have happened in conference committee, but the plan was to pass the public option in the house and then hash it out in conference.

Then the Senate shockingly lost a senator and went to 59. They were not yet willing to get rid of the filibuster, so they bluntly told the house "we can't pass anything but what we already passed", so they handed what was supposed to be their opening position in a negotiation to the house and forced them to choke on it.

If you want to yell at Obama for being naive or too moderate, or if you want to yell at the Senate for decorum, fine but Pelosi is blameless.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Glumslinger posted:

Have another "Trump is super angry and pissy because there wasn't a red wave" story
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1062874244592386048

God willing he’ll have a brain aneurysm.i think we’re getting close.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Random Stranger posted:

We should just do what we should always do. Verify the claims, and if they turn out true the punish him. If they turn out to be fabricated then gather up the members of the conspiracy and drown them in a bucket of piss

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

Unfortunately that Facebook story posted upthread shows he can very useful in the worst ways.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
With Avanetti's ex-wife basically outraged over this, I wouldn't be surprised if Wohl was part of this.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

God willing he’ll have a brain aneurysm.i think we’re getting close.

Someone needs to tabulate how many weeks now have been described as "one of the most turbulent weeks of his presidency".

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

This is revisionist history horseshit as far as the house was concerned. Who knows what would have happened in conference committee, but the plan was to pass the public option in the house and then hash it out in conference.

Then the Senate shockingly lost a senator and went to 59. They were not yet willing to get rid of the filibuster, so they bluntly told the house "we can't pass anything but what we already passed", so they handed what was supposed to be their opening position in a negotiation to the house and forced them to choke on it.

If you want to yell at Obama for being naive or too moderate, or if you want to yell at the Senate for decorum, fine but Pelosi is blameless.

did you click the link, Rigel.

you really ought to click the link, next time.

the plan, explicitly, well before the House ever had a bill, was "we don't try to pass a public option, and in exchange, the health insurance industry defends the bill."

what a brilliant strategy that was, eh? surely, there was no way that insurance companies would renege on their part of the program

instantly

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i don't know much about Marcia Fudge, but it looks like she's a bad choice that the blue dog types are pushing

ie: apparently one of four democrats total - her, Dan Lipinski, Manchin, and Donnelly - to oppose the Equality Act, which is LGBQT nondiscrimination legislation

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1062873752730517506

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Super Delegates are inherently undemocratic loving garbage, and I'm glad that poo poo is gone.

Kingmakers only encourage corruption.

Also I don't even understand the rebeling dems point.

"We can pick a better Speaker of the House than Pelosi."

"But we have no idea who that is!"

At least pick someone first, for gently caress sakes.

As I recall from the brouhaha over supers in 2016, most of the CBC non-pol supers and the PACs they rode in on were corporate lobbyists who helped fund the caucus.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

lizardman posted:

Someone needs to tabulate how many weeks now have been described as "one of the most turbulent weeks of his presidency".

Never been more angry and isolated....

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

did you click the link, Rigel.

you really ought to click the link, next time.

the plan, explicitly, well before the House ever had a bill, was "we don't try to pass a public option, and in exchange, the health insurance industry defends the bill."

what a brilliant strategy that was, eh? surely, there was no way that insurance companies would renege on their part of the program

instantly

surely you can find someone more legit sounding than this lol

quote:

Miles Mogulescu (miles_mogulescu@yahoo.com) is an entertainment attorney/business affairs executive, producer, political activist, and writer who has one of the earliest contributors to The Huffington Post, writing hundreds of pieces since 2006. Professionally, he is a former Senior V.P. at MGM. He has recently represented the production, financing and distribution of such films as the Oscar-winning “Whiplash”, “Nightcrawler” starring Jake Gyllenhaal, and “Drive” starring Ryan Gosling, and negotiated the terms of a new company with director Robert Rodriquez to produce and finance a slate of films. He has been a lifelong progressive since the age of 12 when his father helped raise money for Dr. Martin Luther King, who was a guest in his home several times. He will never forget the impression which that extraordinary man made on him, which helped lead to a lifelong commitment to social justice. As a college student, he organized sit-ins and other protests at the University of Chicago. More recently, he organized a program on single payer healthcare at the Take Back America Conference, a 2-day conference on Money in Politics at UCLA Law School, and “Made in Cuba”, the largest exhibition of contemporary Cuban art ever held in Southern California. He co-produced and co-directed Union Maids, a film about 3 women union organizers in Chicago in the 1930s and '40s, which was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Feature Documentary. He also produced “Montana” for HBO based on an original screenplay by Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Larry McMurtry. At the time of the Gulf War, he and music executive Danny Goldberg produced a super-star music video with new lyrics to Give Peace a Chance written by Lenny Kravitz, Yoko Ono, and John Lennon's son, Sean.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/JacobAWohl/status/1062871856481366016

It would make sense if after Jacob's dumb plan failed and he faces no consequences for it, he decides to try something different. He takes inspiration from the White House accusing Jim Acosta of assault and thinks it'll work this time because he is very stupid.

CuddleCryptid posted:

We should just do what we should always do. Verify the claims, and if they turn out true the punish him. If they turn out to be fabricated then gather up the members of the conspiracy and drown them in a bucket of piss

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/themauryshow/status/1062853229917192192?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Levitate posted:

Wasn't all of that crap to get Joe Liberman's vote because he was a complete non starter on basically progressive part of the ACA and they required his vote to get it passed?

No. It was because Obama had made secret deals with the drug & hospital industries to preclude a public option in the ACA.

Hence the Senate Finance Committee killing it pre-birth; it never made it to the Senate floor.