Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

Gee, could that be down to active nonstop sabotage by the GOP? Nah, they would never do anything like that, clearly everything with Obamacare was MEANT to be there.

what part of GOP sabotage made the deductibles on the plans shoot through the roof? or the insurers pull out of the exchanges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Gee, could that be down to active nonstop sabotage by the GOP? Nah, they would never do anything like that, clearly everything with Obamacare was MEANT to be there.

But I'm just so convinced that if a public option got passed, then Republicans would have played fair, and nice, and never ever tried to attack it or do anything to disrupt it. I mean, all public options are perfect and cannot ever be hurt.

bold to proclaim Obama was secretly a member of the GOP, but I'm interested to see where you go with this

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

How about from the healthcare lobbyist's/Obama's pick for HHS's mouth?

there you go, i thought something like this existed.

also i miss when greenwald used to write about domestic policy in relatively normal ways, like that piece

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

But I'm just so convinced that if a public option got passed, then Republicans would have played fair, and nice, and never ever tried to attack it or do anything to disrupt it. I mean, all public options are perfect and cannot ever be hurt.

You know what the GOP can't sabotage? Medicare.

Know why? Too many people are on it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Have another "Trump is super angry and pissy because there wasn't a red wave" story
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1062874244592386048

Lol this article makes it sound like Trump is terrified of John Kelly, which is probably true

Lmao at a President having a massively dysfunctional relationship with his Chief of Staff

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

my bony fealty posted:

Lol this article makes it sound like Trump is terrified of John Kelly, which is probably true

Lmao at a President having a massively dysfunctional relationship with his Chief of Staff

tbh, i don't think there's a single person that has a functional relationship with trump

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/JacobAWohl/status/1062879923767918594

He put Mueller on there.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

tbh, i don't think there's a single person that has a functional relationship with trump

Hannity

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

my bony fealty posted:

i mean it makes sense. he has used kelly as a hatchet man because his own persona is utter fake bullshit and he is an abject coward. But trump being trump distrusts and hates everyone, but he can't bring himself to fire kelly.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

You know what the GOP can't sabotage? Medicare.

Know why? Too many people are on it.
I would think what the GOP has stated they want to do regarding Social Security and Medicare clearly disprove this. Especially, as they continue get the majority of people using those programs to vote for them. Their constituents do not care if Social Security and Medicare get cut as long as "those people" don't cannot use it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also, GOP sabotage was done before Obamacare was actually rolled out.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1062840118225055744

quote:

“When a culture is surrounded by, inundated by, and rewards things that celebrate death—whether it is zombies in television shows, the number of abortions—that we indiscriminately think is just OK,” Bevin explained to Conway. “These are drips, drips, drips on the stones of the psyches of young generations that are growing up in a society that increasingly says this is normal and OK."

“This has sadly occurred since the dawn of man, and it occurs using guns at times, and it occurs using any number of other methods,” Bevin continued. “What I have said every time and what people get upset about, this is an indication of deeper cultural problems.”

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He should primary Mitch again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oh gently caress your morality police bullshit, you loving poo poo. you ground your state into the ground and striped people of their healthcare and yet you cry about the ills of the world are loving comics and zombies.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

This is particularly great because the overarching message of almost every zombie movie/TV show is that WE are the monsters.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

downout posted:

I would think what the GOP has stated they want to do regarding Social Security and Medicare clearly disprove this. Especially, as they continue get the majority of people using those programs to vote for them. Their constituents do not care if Social Security and Medicare get cut as long as "those people" don't cannot use it.

maybe. I think if Democrats can't get to 60 votes by 2034 when 20% cuts to Social Security kick in, they should abolish the filibuster solely for purposes of saving Social Security so that Republicans won't be able to complain about it without reminding voters that Democrats were solely responsible for saving Social Security.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

downout posted:

They couldn't even scrape 50 votes together to cut Medicaid my man.

Yeah they want to but they can never wrangle up the votes to do it because too many legislators know their career is over if they do and every time they try they get owned in the next elections.

That's why universal public programs are resilient, whereas overcomplicated subsidy-juggling private-profit compromises like Obamacare die the death of a thousand cuts because it's easy to cut risk corridor payments that no one understands or knows anything about and the consequences are obscured through the operations of private industry and time.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The man soon to be the second least popular governor in the country, ladies and gentlemen.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

This is particularly great because the overarching message of almost every zombie movie/TV show is that WE are the monsters.

Also, the NRA and gun manufacturers having huge hands into the zombie craze, selling guns and ammunition with zombie branding.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Retro42 posted:

I’m serious though. If you’re a hard lefty that fine. Just enlighten me why that puts her in the poo poo category. Otherwise you just sound exactly like the far right with zero context.

The answer to this is mostly just that mainstream Democratic politics are bad enough that even being above average for a Democrat (like Pelosi) is still very bad, and Pelosi in particular stands out because she is a very prominent Democrat (so she's a symbol of sorts with more influence than your average member of Congress).

Basically the left is not exaggerating when they talk about Democrats being a "lesser evil"; most of the harm both within and caused by our country enjoys bipartisan approval. I think many liberals view things as a "the Democrats don't go far enough and I wish they'd oppose Republicans better" situation, but the left views them as being actively harmful in the same vein as Republicans, even if not to quite the same extent.

All of this being said, there's definitely some ignorance in perception of Pelosi, namely in the sense that there's a very real distinction between her and someone like Schumer and many seem to perceive her as being bad for a Democrat (which is definitely not the case, and probably actually is influenced by sexism and/or right-wing talking points to some degree), but merely not being as bad as Schumer still doesn't make her good. (I'd still rather her be Speaker than any of the likely more conservative alternatives, though)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Say whatever you want about abortions, but leave zombies alone! :argh:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

if your personal theology requires Nancy Pelosi to have been utterly oblivious to any of the actions of democratic leadership in order to function, then so be it. not gonna reason you out of a position you did not reason yourself into.

how much must it sting, though. that the people so credulous they fell for "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" were right to assume you were too stupid to ever even entertain the possibility that they'd sold you out.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

let me introduce you to the Great State of California, and the trials and travails of trying to pass public healthcare there.

you'll be shocked to hear that the same democratic state house and senate that produced bills to implement it loving weekly back when there were republican governors?

suddenly lacked a certain joie de vivre once there was not a Republican they could trust to veto it. and in fact started publicly complaining about those ~unreasonable~ fuckers who were still making noise about it. goddamndest thing.

there is a solution to problems like this. it is not "unquestioningly assume Democratic leadership has your best interests at heart."

We talk a lot about how much Sunk Cost Fallacy surrounds the GOP & Trump faithful, but centrist Dems have some major issues with it as well that they really need to start coming to terms with if they even want to maintain the pretense of intellectual honesty or objectivity.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That Obama wanted a public option and be Lieberman thwarted him is a comfortable lie I'm willing to live with, tbh.

My point, precisely.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I've always seen it as a fantasy about justifiably killing your neighbors

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Don't zombie shows depict a gun nut's dream life? Rolling around shooting at the world and living 24/7 with your guns and bullets?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Brony Car posted:

Don't zombie shows depict a gun nut's dream life? Rolling around shooting at the world and living 24/7 with your guns and bullets?

yeah, because they all think they would be Imorton Negan, instead of dead in an hour/week, or killed/arrested when the military/bigger community/etc shows up.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1062888209938554885

Wait, this open conservative who writes for garbage right-wing sites like the Daily Caller is one of the founders for one of the biggest left-wing podcasts in the country?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i mean, if your not a dead eyed super nazi who loves trump, your a commie.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Good news! House leadership is getting fresh blood!

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1062884149760090112?s=19

...probably something we'll see in the q thread unironically in a week

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

So many Republicans probably love The Walking Dead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1062888209938554885

Wait, this open conservative who writes for garbage right-wing sites like the Daily Caller is one of the founders for one of the biggest left-wing podcasts in the country?

he is a never trumper, there for to the pod crew. a liberal in good standing.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
RE: Avenatti and that TMZ story. Why would any respectable news outlet use TMZ as a source, they're pretty much the far-too-drunken interpretive dance of news. :lol:

And if the KY governer was right, we'd have mass crossbowings, too. :colbert:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

KickerOfMice posted:

RE: Avenatti and that TMZ story. Why would any respectable news outlet use TMZ as a source, they're pretty much the far-too-drunken interpretive dance of news. :lol:

Aside from the LAPD twitter account confirming that he has been arrested, do we know anything about what allegedly happened?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Brony Car posted:

Aside from the LAPD twitter account confirming that he has been arrested, do we know anything about what allegedly happened?

Washington Post emphasized a bit:

Avanetti kicks a woman out of his home, she calls police on standby to get her stuff back, claims he hit her, and he claimed she hit him first.

Its really minimal right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

And if the KY governer was right, we'd have mass crossbowings, too. :colbert:

because avenatti is a scum bag and people are waiting for him to show his true colors.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because avenatti is a scum bag and people are waiting for him to show his true colors.

Oh, no doubt. But TMZ?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Facebook also has admitted that they had a role to play in the genocide in Myanmar which...how do you show up for work the next day knowing that?

Sandberg and Zuckerberg are both Jewish, and paying for a little of the same conspiracy mongering that lead to the massacre in a synagogue is just another day at the office for them.

The guillotine is too kind.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
TMZ has really, really good sources in a few very specific places.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

TMZ has really, really good sources in a few very specific places.

Yeah, who is going to star next on survivor.

E- Which... might make sense.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

selec posted:

Facebook also has admitted that they had a role to play in the genocide in Myanmar which...how do you show up for work the next day knowing that?

Sandberg and Zuckerberg are both Jewish, and paying for a little of the same conspiracy mongering that lead to the massacre in a synagogue is just another day at the office for them.

The guillotine is too kind.

It fills me with no small amount of happiness that Zuck was clearly prepping for a presidential run and got that yanked away from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

It fills me with no small amount of happiness that Zuck was clearly prepping for a presidential run and got that yanked away from him.

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1062892813975674881