Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DrPop posted:

Would any of you be interested in playing some one-off MegaMek games here and there? I'm gonna pick up HBS' game again when the expansion comes out, but I'm pretty much always down for some classic games.

I'm always down to play random Megamek games, I love a good TT bout. If you're on the SA battletech discord just @ me there and I'll get a ping. When I've played goon quick matches it's usually just been pick a BV and random roll a Lance unless both people have specific things they want to try. Helps avoid terminal munchkin custom force syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Every thing I read about clans is somehow dumber than the last.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
While the scientists had developed a virus that targeted trueborns, a good number of trueborns who fail out of warrior training get shunted to the scientists, so kill_all_trueborns.exe.iic would've hosed themselves as well as everyone else over. Their long term/pie-in-the-sky aim was to replace the warriors as top caste, not wipe them out, but they had their hand forced and thought they could win by rolling out their secret weapons and subverting the Coyotes. As things stood, the handful of viruses they used to target specific bloodlines killed far more civilian descendants of washouts than active warriors and played a big role in depopulating the Clan homeworlds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RBA Starblade posted:

The only good thing about them is that the invasion period makes for some good computer game and general story fodder. Having a technologically superior foe invade and just start tooling on the PC's side makes for a decent gameplay arc where you have to stop the seemingly invincible enemy, develop counters (steal their guns and put them on your rides), and then force them back or at least stalemate them. There have been a lot of good games that skillfully used them as antagonists.

It's after that point that things just go full stupid.

Doubly so if you are coming from a TT background and knew that one guy who just loving insisted on playing a clan character but somehow never in the framework of a clans-only game where he would fight other clan mechs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

RBA Starblade posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's after that point that things just go full stupid.

Hard disagree, the Clan story arc is very well handled. They're at their dumbest when they're all mysterious fanatic elite warriors with animal totems and a hard-on for limited warfare. Watching that ritualized microsociety collapse and acculturate as they confront the impossibility of their Grand Purpose is the interesting part. The more the Clans become an interesting and lively part of the political landscape (rather than truce line boogeymen who must be defeated by Our Heroes every couple books, supporting a status quo of good-guy faction teamups overcoming evil politicians) the better they are.

The Wars of Reaving are well written and good because they explore the catastrophic effect of social change on a conquering society. The real-world equivalent of the Clans (the Mongols) went through apocalyptically self-destructive periods of civil war, genocide, and convulsive change as a result of their contact with societies they invaded too. They didn't stay a bunch of horseback nomads living on mare's blood.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 14, 2018

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Does anyone know where this is from?

https://twitter.com/mitchgit/status/1062827298083155968

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I am seconding every single thing Battuta has said about the Clans and why the Wars of Reaving book is good. Also despite being in-theory a dry historical/intelligence document, it has some pretty entertaining plot twists as some Clans manage to pull off incredible coups while others get hoisted by their own petards.

All of the hypocrisy and tension in their society bubbles over and everything goes to hell in a nuclear handbasket. It's grand.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So the best clans story is the one where the get poo poo on by themselves?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xarbala posted:

I am seconding every single thing Battuta has said about the Clans and why the Wars of Reaving book is good. Also despite being in-theory a dry historical/intelligence document, it has some pretty entertaining plot twists as some Clans manage to pull off incredible coups while others get hoisted by their own petards.

All of the hypocrisy and tension in their society bubbles over and everything goes to hell in a nuclear handbasket. It's grand.

And here we have, summarised, every single reason why I wanted them to "win" in the alternate universe LP. Seeing them collapse in on themselves as they neared total victory wouldn't just be interesting, but hilarious.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mechwarrior Online. It’s not as cool as it looks.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Nasgate posted:

So the best clans story is the one where the get poo poo on by themselves?

Yeah pretty much. But the book and story are very, very well done. Also the tech is very neat.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cyrano4747 posted:

Mechwarrior Online. It’s not as cool as it looks.

The animation is from :pgi:? That is so disappointing.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The Clans are good at one thing, building Battle/Omnimechs. They are outrageously incompetent at everything else. They can build/improve Lostech and they won't hesitate to use it to shoot themselves in the foot at every opportunity. If they had done the smart thing and thrown everything they had at Tukayyid instead of underbidding their forces FOR HONOR AND GLORY they wouldn't have had their poo poo pushed in by Comstar and they'd own the galaxy.

Also MWO isn't *that* bad as long as you remember to turn your brain off when you play.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 15, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wait what? I thought that was a cartoon, I've seen it lots of times before. Is that pgi?

E: mwo is in a p good place at the moment, for what it is (arena robot coop deathmatch)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

:pgi: is pgi, as the emote name implies.
they make Mechwarrior Online.
Mechwarrior Online is bad.

if you want to pilot mechs you're better off finding a copy of MW4:Mercs (ideally with the mektek stuff) or maybe that one crysis mod is still around :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

The animation is from :pgi:? That is so disappointing.

It's actually from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yGc-zVH_E

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Radio Free Kobold posted:

:pgi: is pgi, as the emote name implies.
they make Mechwarrior Online.
Mechwarrior Online is bad.

if you want to pilot mechs you're better off finding a copy of MW4:Mercs (ideally with the mektek stuff) or maybe that one crysis mod is still around :shrug:

Living legends is still around, is back under active development (last I heard) and has an all-in-one installer that uses a demo version of crysis so you don't actually need to buy anything to play it.

https://mechlivinglegends.net/

EDIT: Looking at their forum a new version was released last month, ver 0.10.1.

https://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?title=Mechwarrior:_Living_Legends/Versions#0.10.1

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
HBS will probably have a modest panel/presence there like in the past, but MechCon's mainly a MWO joint. If anything big's revealed, word or footage will percolate around.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Doubly so if you are coming from a TT background and knew that one guy who just loving insisted on playing a clan character but somehow never in the framework of a clans-only game where he would fight other clan mechs.
For their many faults, CGL did better with their handling of the Society's broken stuff by refusing to publish BV for them and outright stating that they don't appear in the Inner Sphere, period. The Word's MD stuff was also framed in a "this is for PvE final bosses" way, though judging from what I heard of the canon events no one really wanted to play on Team Blake in the first place. I give partial blame to the... charmed existence of Wolf's Dragoons for inspiring a lot of people to make their own super special merc units overflowing with lostech factories, Clan equipment, warships, etc.
Battuta's got the right of it, though. If you like the Clans, then the book's all about them; if you hate the Clans, then it's all about them dying. It's a rare sea change in the universe and payoff on a bunch of threads from earlier Clan books, which is something that the main plot struggles with.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

spacetoaster posted:

It's actually from this:

No Guts No Galaxy has been owned by PGI almost entirely from the start.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Let's all just play Alpha Strike and ignore the rest. Stalkers doing 6+ damage when a light has 5 HP pips is good and I refuse to read any books.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

You are misremembering. There was a big stink on the official forums because DropShips having docking collars is a big "no-no" in tabletop to prevent That Guy (You Know The One (The Munchkin)) from building fractal DropShip lattices in the tabletop game. The Argo was always intended to be a super-special DropShip that was too expensive to mass produce but neither armored nor armed well enough for anyone to give a poo poo about.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it already (i.e. well before this game) stated that jumpship collars have a mass limit per collar and pre-existing big dropships required two collars making them expensive as heck to run

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

No Guts No Galaxy has been owned by PGI almost entirely from the start.

I remember when the community at large called us conspiracy nuts, because how dare we accuse their special snowflake of underhandedness and dishonesty! :pgi: would never do something so deceiving. :rolleyes:

E: A handful months later, they kickstarted Tranverse.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luIKMpl1lfk

Found this one from the same animator.

https://dcbruins.weebly.com/animation.html

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Back Hack posted:

I remember when the community at large called us conspiracy nuts, because how dare we accuse their special snowflake of underhandedness and dishonesty! :pgi: would never do something so deceiving. :rolleyes:

It was so obvious that the bare, cut to the bone minimum of revenue was going to mwo and oh look here's a stupid eve knockoff.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

That has a criminally low number of views. It's pretty good. It opens in stills but transitions to some good action. Clearly an abandonded work in progress. Worth a watch.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it already (i.e. well before this game) stated that jumpship collars have a mass limit per collar and pre-existing big dropships required two collars making them expensive as heck to run
There are mass limits, yes. But when the BattleSpace rules were written, there weren't. The "DropShips don't get to have docking collars" rule was an early one, IIRC. I'm only vaguely familiar with old BattleSpace. I own it, but it was never enjoyable to play so I never did.

wiegieman posted:

It was so obvious that the bare, cut to the bone minimum of revenue was going to mwo and oh look here's a stupid Star Citizen knockoff.
Fixed!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Up to 215 million Cbills, so hoping to see what new fancy toys I can buy in 12 days or so. I mean, a few Hatchetmen are a given, but I haven't seen much of the other stuff yet.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I really appreciate the story missions because man I overvalue getting scrap even when I know it's just gonna be lights and maybe a hunchback.

Edit: thanks for that cicada piece and a bunch of m lasers game. I totally expected to get some Jagermech pieces since the made up literally half of the scrap, but those are much better choices :arghfist:

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 15, 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Back Hack posted:

Where PGI actually claimed they owned the license to Wing Commander. lol

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'm going against the flow with my new GHR. It's the heaviest thing I got and it really should be put to use on the front, but I've been loving my dual LL HBK and made a bigger one with the GHR. This thing can cool down in the desert with just the LL and still had the armor to push forward when needed, it also adds in 3 ML when it's time to get in range. I picked up Arclight with Master Tac. about the time I got that HBK and I've been using her to cut the legs and heads off of everything.

I want to do this with the dual 30+ STB PPCs I got, but the tonnage just isn't there yet.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is there a regional distribution to the different mech types? I've salvaged 7 King Crabs, but zero Black Knights.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
No.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Is there a regional distribution to the different mech types? I've salvaged 7 King Crabs, but zero Black Knights.

Were are you at? You must have stumbled upon the legendary spawning grounds for King Crabs.

But seriously, I think only the rarity rating matters and region or factions don't tilt the odds. I think both are rarity 5. Someone on the PDX forum suggested they try and adapt that new shop weights system to Lance generation, that could allow easy and tweak-able faction based Lances in the future.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

spacetoaster posted:

Where PGI actually claimed they owned the license to Wing Commander. lol

This was great just for the guy from EA going, "Uh, I don't know what the gently caress they're talking about..."

I like to think PGI "bought" the WC license from some random con artist.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Q_res posted:

I like to think PGI "bought" the WC license from some random con artist.

But enough about Sandi Roberts. :D

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I don't think the Argo will wind up a secret Jumpship.

Cause it's gonna turn out to be a secret WarShip instead :twisted:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hey did Stackpole ever finish that novella he was writing for the kickstarters or is that not happening? I keep remembering to check for the last bit every few months but jesus its' been a year now and I'm too lazy to dig up that backer kit login right now

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Back Hack posted:

My biggest regret with Transverse is that it was such a dead-on-arrival failure that we never got to see the true heights of failure that it was capable of reaching.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Novella Part 4 has not come out yet, no. I wonder why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
remember when Transverse barely cracked $10,000 in kickstarter funding, lol