Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I see the sale on the PSN shop. Thinking of picking up 9 and X/x2 for my PS4 Pro. Never played a final fantasy other than tactics... which should I start with? Are these good buys if I want a break from current games like red dead and fortnite?

Youre picking up what would be concensus safe choices. Reminder, 9 predates voice acting and 10 predates cutscene skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Barudak posted:

Combat in FFXIII is upper tier for the franchise, and its difficulty pacing is the best in the franchise, while everything else is basically bottom tier. How this nets out for you as an overall package is going to determine how you feel about the game. As a person who skips any cutscene offered and hates playing "find the NPC you need to talk to to progress the game" 13 was basically perfection for me as far as JRPGs go, but if you're here for like "A sensible story" and "explorable towns" you're not gonna have a good time.

Pretty heavy YMMV on the pacing thing too, for some insane reason you don't even get paradigms until a fair chunk into the game, during which your options are "attack" "lol you actually used grenade" and "potion". The combat is reasonably well designed when it gets going but doesn't lend itself to customization so once you've seen it that's it.

Also the final boss has an instant death attack (not a "you hosed up" timer) in a game where you can't get ID immunity :lol:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wont lie, literally didnt know he had such a move which is garbage in a game where party leader = death. At least you can easily get 60% resistance.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Skipping cutscenes, it still takes close to 5-6 hours before you get a competent paradigm party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

Skipping cutscenes, it still takes close to 5-6 hours before you get a competent paradigm party.

That pacing is fine with me, you dont need the full party to enjoy the system. You have the tools you need for the types and varieties of foes you face. Only once you have full paradigm access can dungeons contain all varieties of foes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF13 is extremely good. 13-2 has better gameplay but much less interesting characters, especially the two you play as.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy is in the top 3 of the franchise tho

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Wont lie, literally didnt know he had such a move which is garbage in a game where party leader = death. At least you can easily get 60% resistance.

Ever played those SMT or Persona games?

It does suck a lot.

precision posted:

FF13 is extremely good. 13-2 has better gameplay but much less interesting characters, especially the two you play as.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy is in the top 3 of the franchise tho

I ended up liking Noel a lot and Serah throws around a moogle so she's notall bad.

But seriously, Noel's biggest problem is his design. He looks like a refugee from Kingdom Hearts when he's actually supposed to be from a post-apocalyptic future. I'm of the belief that any character design is good if it informs the audience of some trait of the character. Nothing about Noel's design offers any suggestion of his personality or history.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The XIII series has an inverse relationship between gameplay and story quality. The first game has the best story but the weakest gameplay. Lightning Returns is wicked cool fights but the plot is so nonsensical and bullshit that Kingdom Hearts looks understandable by comparison.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I have not played XIII-2 but someone told me that the reason Noel is the only person alive in the future is because people just forgot how to grow food and starved to death. Is that actually true? Because if so he should probably look a lot more emaciated, unless he actually ate the entire human race's supply of food for himself and only bothered getting in the time machine/portal/whatever after losing 300 pounds.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Man I can't even remember what the gently caress was even happening in XIII-2, like we were time traveling to multiple alternate histories to stop the bad guy from destroying time except doing so let's him destroy time and Snow is fighting a giant Flan and is also a time cop(?) and Hope was the science king of man kind? And also I was doing this dressed like Commander Shepard?

And then in LR the villain is loving miserable because destroying time didn't solve any of his problems and I don't even know why he thought it would.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 15, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Man I can't even remember what the gently caress was even happening in XIII-2, like we were time traveling to multiple alternate histories to stop the bad guy from destroying time except doing so let's him destroy time and Snow is fighting a giant Flan and is also a time cop(?) and Hope was the science king of man kind? And also I was doing this dressed like Commander Shepard?

And then in LR the villain is loving miserable because destroying time didn't solve any of his problems and I don't even know why he thought it would.

All three FFXIII games basically revolve around the characters going "man, being trapped in an endless cycle of misery sucks, sure would be nice if we could loving do something about it. It's basically all God's fault so presumably the solution is making God fix it" with everyone involved dealing with increasingly high tiers of divinity until Lightning murders God.

Unironically the basis for a really good story is there in the FF trilogy. It's basically an entire worldsetting of people who fate shits on who are struggling to find a way to break increasingly ridiculous lovely fates only to have the universe make it worse upon them. It would, genuinely, take very little to make the story a coherent and thematically interesting (if depressing as poo poo) story, which is why the areas where it fails are all the more frustrating.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 15, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

Ever played those SMT or Persona games?

It does suck a lot.

I ended up liking Noel a lot and Serah throws around a moogle so she's notall bad.

But seriously, Noel's biggest problem is his design. He looks like a refugee from Kingdom Hearts when he's actually supposed to be from a post-apocalyptic future. I'm of the belief that any character design is good if it informs the audience of some trait of the character. Nothing about Noel's design offers any suggestion of his personality or history.

I liked sticking Noel in the Revelation Ezio costume, as it oddly fits his nomad hunter backstory. Granted I have to rebuy that and the costume I got for Serah as I no longer have the gamer tag that had those downloads (long story).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
just mod it in bro these games are pc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js4cU4X5BkU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I like moogles when they don't talk.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rirse posted:

I liked sticking Noel in the Revelation Ezio costume, as it oddly fits his nomad hunter backstory. Granted I have to rebuy that and the costume I got for Serah as I no longer have the gamer tag that had those downloads (long story).

I agree that the AC outfit was the best look for him.

Caidin posted:

I could explain it to you but I'll let the great voice-acting and music do it for me:
https://youtu.be/IiVtUVrK7SU?t=272

It's pretty straightforward when you get down to it.

ImpAtom posted:

All three FFXIII games basically revolve around the characters going "man, being trapped in an endless cycle of misery sucks, sure would be nice if we could loving do something about it. It's basically all God's fault so presumably the solution is making God fix it" with everyone involved dealing with increasingly high tiers of divinity until Lightning murders God.

Unironically the basis for a really good story is there in the FF trilogy. It's basically an entire worldsetting of people who fate shits on who are struggling to find a way to break increasingly ridiculous lovely fates only to have the universe make it worse upon them. It would, genuinely, take very little to make the story a coherent and thematically interesting (if depressing as poo poo) story, which is why the areas where it fails are all the more frustrating.

Yep. It's like, FFXIII is about how both fal'Cie and l'Cie are ultimately slaves The fal'Cie maybe even have it worse. But this receives so little attention and it's mainly due to the fact that only the playable characters are given any...focus in the story. Bart could have been a much better villain if they had done more to establish him and his kind but the fact he is ultimately doing all this just to die is pretty much an afterthought.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lobster22221 posted:

I like moogles when they don't talk.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Groundbreaking idea for a JRPG: What if god is evil and you have to kill him?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Actraiser had you playing as an agent of God. Or God. I dont really remember.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Barudak posted:

Combat in FFXIII is upper tier for the franchise, and its difficulty pacing is the best in the franchise, while everything else is basically bottom tier. How this nets out for you as an overall package is going to determine how you feel about the game. As a person who skips any cutscene offered and hates playing "find the NPC you need to talk to to progress the game" 13 was basically perfection for me as far as JRPGs go, but if you're here for like "A sensible story" and "explorable towns" you're not gonna have a good time.

I've been trying to think of a way to make this statement without sounding like a dick.... but I am legitimately confused as to why someone who skips cutscenes in games would choose to play a JRPG

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Speedrunners?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm of the belief that any character design is good if it informs the audience of some trait of the character.

What does Luso's design tell you?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Needs more buckles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bentacos posted:

Actraiser had you playing as an agent of God. Or God. I dont really remember.

You were outright God, yes.

Oh sorry, Nintendo USA says that I must refer to him as "The Master".

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

everyone involved dealing with increasingly high tiers of divinity

the call centre of the gods

starting your prayer with "let me speak to your supervisor"

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Mega64 posted:

That he picks up and hoards every even vaguely interesting or just weird looking thing he comes across in case it's useful later.

Which given the crafting system in FFTA2 works out pretty well!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lol did LFT remove the igros slums battle

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

honestly I can think of several moments which, while very very stupid, I enjoyed immensely:

lightning apologizing to a door
lightning punching snow
snow's confusion as to what guns are for resulting in him casually throwing them away, handing them to children or firing them wildly into the air to make noise
vanille's instant understanding of what guns are for when she picks one up and immediately starts gunning people down with it
hope's increasingly furious facial expressions when snow talks to him while he has a giant blood grudge against him

Oh, sure there are def things in it that are funny bad. Lightning punching snow is just an actual story moment, with characterization for both snow and lightning (lightning is mad at snow to shift blame from herself for driving serah away, and snow just takes the punches cause he blames himself for serah being captured). Can't really defend lightning apologizing to a door in the same way

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

taichara posted:

That he picks up and hoards every even vaguely interesting or just weird looking thing he comes across in case it's useful later.

Which given the crafting system in FFTA2 works out pretty well!

Also, he loves pizza. Hence the pizza cutter and bucklers that can also be used as pans.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Can't really defend lightning apologizing to a door in the same way
lightning had been very aggressive and unpleasant to the door, but when she sincerely apologized to it and the door understood that she was desperate and just lashing out at it, it let her in

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cock hero flux posted:

but enough about Catholicism

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

lightning had been very aggressive and unpleasant to the door, but when she sincerely apologized to it and the door understood that she was desperate and just lashing out at it, it let her in

The door and lightning lived happily ever after

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Mega64 posted:

[Removed for my Sanity]

That costume is the only costume I've run into that feels like its actively harming me every time I look at it. There are no redeeming qualities to it at all, the man wears elbow bucklers, a dumber looking version of Wakka's outfit and this weapon has a guard that's actually just a chain.....HE EVEN CARRIES A SANE WEAPON ON HIS SIDE! AND THE SHOES! -rambles away into the distance-

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

cock hero flux posted:

I started at a call center recently(Its okay, I was already dead inside), whoever is listening to that prayer is trying to look for a way to not do that because call escalation is a pain compared to directing them elsewhere and doing the job.This is why there is no definitive proof of god. Nobody is ever able to reach him.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tae posted:

"Competent party paradigm"? In Chapter 3 (which is 2 hours into the game) you have Com/Rav/Meds, which are the backbone if not the most important roles you'll use for basically everything. Chapter 4 (3 hours in) gives you Syn/Sab, and if you're gonna bring up 3-person parties, then Chapter 4 still has the section with 3 party members along with a boss where you have Com/Rav/Sab/Med and you don't need anything else.

The only thing the game withholds on you is Sentinel, which earlier in this very thread some people were arguing wasn't even needed for most of the game. If you want to say full party, then sure that takes a while, but the party is perfectly competent starting from Chapter 3 for what the game throws at you, 2 people parties included.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been trying to think of a way to make this statement without sounding like a dick.... but I am legitimately confused as to why someone who skips cutscenes in games would choose to play a JRPG

The first time through cutscenes are fine, but on replays cutscenes can be a chore. I'm the kind of person who likes replaying games so cutscene skip helps a lot (which is why I don't replay ffx that much).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Seriously how the hell did the FFX remaster not add cutscene skip.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

Seriously how the hell did the FFX remaster not add cutscene skip.
They are lucky the cutscenes work at all, cutscenes skip would have required something close to the effort of a remake to take out the technical limitations that require them in their entirety.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

zedprime posted:

They are lucky the cutscenes work at all, cutscenes skip would have required something close to the effort of a remake to take out the technical limitations that require them in their entirety.

I have.. finally... become... a summoner.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
There's a mod that enables cutscene skip for the remaster I believe

Speaking of, I am liking the Sin Unleashed mod. Nightmare is a bit too much of a hassle but Chimera seems just right for gameplay that requires some thought but isn't frustratingly hard. Blitzball is still extremely easy once you sign a couple of good players though (and maybe even if you don't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Ventana posted:

The first time through cutscenes are fine, but on replays cutscenes can be a chore. I'm the kind of person who likes replaying games so cutscene skip helps a lot (which is why I don't replay ffx that much).

Also imagine getting stuck on say the Yunalesca fight and having to rewatch the same 10 minute cutscene every time you lose.