Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Grakkus posted:

Angling for another kiss?

Suburban Dad posted:

Getting 3" today supposedly

:v:

cakesmith handyman posted:

I keep browsing old alfa wheels on eBay, they go for nothing (nobody wants 13" & 14" wheels) and they're such a frivolous unnecessary luxury but the panda would look :krad: with some of these orange powder coated:

agreed! get it done

I'm drinking some Tomintoul Aged 14 Years (yeak IDK why they can't just call it "14 year old" like every other whisky) and catching up on 2 seasons of The Expanse. I do like this tv show. It deviates from the books a bit but I can kinda understand why.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CornHolio posted:

Real icy out this morning, a number of pile ups, some schools even delayed.

My studded snow tires got me to work no problem :smug:

epic self own for you are now at work

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I keep browsing old alfa wheels on eBay, they go for nothing (nobody wants 13" & 14" wheels) and they're such a frivolous unnecessary luxury but the panda would look :krad: with some of these orange powder coated:

What PCD are Panda wheels? 4x100?

*edit: 4x98 it seems?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 15, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

epic self own for you are now at work

yeah :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Aren't those metric 340mm rims? I remember back in the 80s we had a few cars, mostly fords iirc, here in Canada that had metric tires and they were drat near impossible to get tires for. How is tire availability in other parts of the world today?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

Aren't those metric 340mm rims? I remember back in the 80s we had a few cars, mostly fords iirc, here in Canada that had metric tires and they were drat near impossible to get tires for. How is tire availability in other parts of the world today?

Yikes... Summit Racing has 340mm tires... at $300 each. :stare:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/coker-michelin-trx-tires/wheel-diameter/340mm/maximum-recommended-wheel-width/165mm

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't get the whole kids getting everyone sick thing, maybe I'm lucky but my son hasn't been sick in years, and when he was in the past I think maybe once I got sick from him. But then some friends of ours have two kids that are constantly sick, and it gets them sick all the time as well I don't get it. Must be my son has a very healthy immune system thank god :v:

My 10 month old keeps getting colds from daycare, which is fine, that's how he's building an immune system. The problem is that I get sick when he does. In theory my immune system should be improving as well, but I'm getting really tired of it.

On the upside, daycare knows that the youngest kids will basically have colds, so there's no problem sending them to daycare, just so long as they don't have a temperature!

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Do it!

Check out Lancia wheels too, they have some cool designs and the same bolt pattern and are similarly cheap :)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Alarbus posted:

My 10 month old keeps getting colds from daycare, which is fine, that's how he's building an immune system. The problem is that I get sick when he does. In theory my immune system should be improving as well, but I'm getting really tired of it.

On the upside, daycare knows that the youngest kids will basically have colds, so there's no problem sending them to daycare, just so long as they don't have a temperature!

My also ten-month-old is in exactly the same boat. The difference is that I'm already exposed to all that poo poo at work, so it's no different than status quo. Man, does he ever hate getting snot suctioned out of his nose, though.

He is THIS close to walking -- he needs just a little stabilization with one hand. I'm not sure I'm ready for him to be that mobile yet!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't get the whole kids getting everyone sick thing, maybe I'm lucky but my son hasn't been sick in years, and when he was in the past I think maybe once I got sick from him. But then some friends of ours have two kids that are constantly sick, and it gets them sick all the time as well I don't get it. Must be my son has a very healthy immune system thank god :v:

As everyone else in the thread said already, daycare. They swim in a sea of germs, and bring it home. 14 months old now and it's been a rough year for colds.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

He is THIS close to walking -- he needs just a little stabilization with one hand. I'm not sure I'm ready for him to be that mobile yet!

Same with ours. She's pulling herself up but still not quite ready to do it herself yet. Hopefully soon but it will also be more exhausting. :v:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

As everyone else in the thread said already, daycare. They swim in a sea of germs, and bring it home. 14 months old now and it's been a rough year for colds.

Same with ours. She's pulling herself up but still not quite ready to do it herself yet. Hopefully soon but it will also be more exhausting. :v:

On the plus side, he's a lot more interesting now. Before he wanted to be held but also didn't want me to sit, and hated the sling, and it fucks with my arm. Now he grabs my pinky finger and we just run around the house, stop to play with his favorite toys (a pile of plastic measuring cups), get up and run around some more.

In other news, the Blizzaks went on the Forester today. Gonna keep all seasons on the Impreza for now in case we get freak warm days, might stud its Altimaxes to flop on if we get an impending massive ice storm.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

Ok, so has Google maps started putting advertising in their maps or has that always been there?
Like, lately I've noticed when it's giving directions it'll say stuff like "Turn right on to XYZ street after Wells Fargo on the Left" or "In 1000' turn left after McDonalds on the corner"
Has that always been there and I just never noticed? :psyduck:

This. I noticed it telling me turn right after Wells Fargo last week; there were other landmarks too so I immediately realized that they had monetized wayfinding.

Ugh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pretty bad ice storm going on, quite a few cars spun around on the highway and in ditches so I just tossed the winter wheels on. I believe this is the last season I can get out of them before they need to be replaced.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah unless we get an unexpected warm spell here in PA the Mustang is away for the winter. Supposed to get 5-8" of some kind of wintery mix today.

Oh well, it'll feel like a rocketship again next year after driving the Vibe around all winter.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Just sent angry comments to google about the map change. Lol
Btw you have to do that by “send feedback” inside maps app.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boutta go get my face all covered in hot tranny fluid! :v:

Hopefully it's the simple fix I think it is and not genuine rebuild time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fender Anarchist posted:

AI has to be the most fluid subforum.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What PCD are Panda wheels? 4x100?

*edit: 4x98 it seems?

Yes 4x98

slidebite posted:

14" as far as I can tell, the ones I'm watching on eBay anyway

Grakkus posted:

Do it!

Check out Lancia wheels too, they have some cool designs and the same bolt pattern and are similarly cheap :)

I always keep an eye out, anything 4 spoke or square patterned I seem to be attracted to.

These seem to be 47mm centre bore, I need 58 I think, any decent wheel refurb place will bore those out right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fender Anarchist posted:

Hopefully it's the simple fix I think it is and not genuine rebuild time.

OH, BTW - my advice on that is to just remove the broken off pieces of the snap ring from the valve body, and just leave the (broken) snap ring in. If I'd have done that, I would have been done several *hours* earlier, and a lot less angry. See, the parts of the snap ring that break off are the ends, where the notches/holes for REMOVING THE SNAP RING ARE. Want to make a guess at how incredibly difficult and frustrating it is to remove a snap ring, in a recessed hole, when it has no tool holes?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I really wish it'd just abbreviate the highways / interstates. There's a few where it's like "Take the exit for HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street.... Merge onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street. Turn left onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street" It's exhausting.

Waze does that - basically announces exactly what is on the highway/exit sign, which is probably good, but when it says it multiple time (once when you're 2 miles away, then 1 mile away, then exit now) interrupting my music, it gets annoying quickly.
Waze shows fast food joints and retail stores, but doesn't use them as references for turns that I've noticed.

STR posted:

It's been there at least a year, but mainly in major metro areas.

Easy way to get rid of it though. Top left (3 bars thing) -> settings ->Navigation Settings -> Voice Selection -> English (US). It dumbs it down to just "in <so many feet>, turn right".

You lose out on street names, but my phone holder is next to the cluster, so it's just a quick glance to see it.

See above. It dumbs it down to just "at the fork, stay right", "in 500 feet, turn right", "make an illegal turn across 5 lanes of traffic", etc.

I use Google Maps 8 hours a day, even street names get annoying. Just tell me when to turn and which fork to take.

Likewise, Waze doesn't use the full street names if you move from the default male or female voice. You can also turn off voice if you are familiar with the route, of course, but then it doesn't do anything to alert you for turns audibly. I'd like an option for it to "DING!" or something when I'm 500' away from a turn or something.

slidebite posted:

Same deal with Ford and Michelin's wonderful TRX (390mm) idea.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

OH, BTW - my advice on that is to just remove the broken off pieces of the snap ring from the valve body, and just leave the (broken) snap ring in. If I'd have done that, I would have been done several *hours* earlier, and a lot less angry. See, the parts of the snap ring that break off are the ends, where the notches/holes for REMOVING THE SNAP RING ARE. Want to make a guess at how incredibly difficult and frustrating it is to remove a snap ring, in a recessed hole, when it has no tool holes?

The question is, will it continue to break further, or are the ends the only place it breaks at?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

If you do this, does the broken snapring still function?

Also FA get one of those awesome draining transmission pans if you're gonna be in there. Been on my amazon wishlist forever.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Queen Combat posted:

If you do this, does the broken snapring still function?

Also FA get one of those awesome draining transmission pans if you're gonna be in there. Been on my amazon wishlist forever.

It's just the tips where the pliers go that snap off so it should still function, I just worry about it getting further damaged.

Got a link for that? Idk if you mean the actual transmission oil pan or like a drain pan, if it's the former and adds a drain plug I may just hold off on this job til I get one.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-265-8...ssion+pan+drain

It's the cheapest I've ever seen it, too. For that price I'd also buy a fumoto valve because gently caress it why not.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I was about to bitch about price creep but I'm already gonna be in it for a filter/gasket, and also my price comparison is the $3k total replacement, so.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Queen Combat posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-265-8...ssion+pan+drain

It's the cheapest I've ever seen it, too. For that price I'd also buy a fumoto valve because gently caress it why not.

I'd worry that a Fumoto would be too close to the ground there. But yes get a Dorman plan with a drain plug, I did that on the first ATF change on my WJ and have been very happy with it. I should really order one for my 4L60E.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
You're right, it would be close. But still, I regret not getting the drain pan every time I think about it. I've wanted to flush the transmission a few times now simply due to the service history of the car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oof, I'm seeing more videos on this failure mode where the snap ring shatters into multiple pieces, and the servo itself gets damaged.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

These seem to be 47mm centre bore, I need 58 I think, any decent wheel refurb place will bore those out right?

Quoting myself but I can't find any alfas with that small centre bore, what are the chances he miss-measured them? If they go cheap I'll take a chance on them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, best practice would be to replace the whole snap ring. It’s just a right bugger to get out. I *hated* that snap ring, and would have gleefully beat the engineer who specified that snap ring and material.
BTW, the piston it holds can be pressed further into the bore with a jack to take pressure off the ring and make some space.
What I really needed was some right angle needle nose pliers, but bent in the direction of the action, rather than perpendicularly to it. Ended up grinding reliefs in the ring to let it bend rather than “spring”, and using needle nose Vice Grips.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Are the new ones from ford at least a better design?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they're finishing up making autoclave #2 here at work

how big is this autoclave? 28 feet in diameter and 120 feet long :drat:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

they're finishing up making autoclave #2 here at work

how big is this autoclave? 28 feet in diameter and 120 feet long :drat:

Holy poo poo, when I need to autoclave an entire spaceship I know who to call

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'd be curious to know what it costs to construct an autoclave that large

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I'd be curious to know what it costs to construct an autoclave that large

not sure but they're gonna have a total of 3 of them eventually to achieve full production rate

the 777x wings has two spars, the largest one is a 105 foot single piece of carbon composite

the 787 uses carbon for the spars but the large spar is 3 pieces which are assembled together. also the wings are significantly smaller than 777/777x

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 15, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Suburban Dad posted:

This is one of the big things that I'm worried about when we do finally have a kid. Wife makes too much to not work so they'll be going to day care bringing all sorts of nasty crap home. I'm immunosuppressed so if I'm in the same room as someone sick I'll get it. Everything hits me a lot harder too.

Yup, that's pretty common and should be no problem as long as there's enough material

BraveUlysses posted:

the largest one is a 105 foot single piece of carbon composite
:fap:

Pulled a 20 hour work day Tuesday, slept three hours then was getting ready to head back in as normal. Wife asked me wtf I was thinking and told me I wasn't going in. So glad she did, I would have been dangerous behind the wheel and useless if I had made it in. Slept off and on yesterday but still feeling run down.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is one of the big things that I'm worried about when we do finally have a kid. Wife makes too much to not work so they'll be going to day care bringing all sorts of nasty crap home. I'm immunosuppressed so if I'm in the same room as someone sick I'll get it. Everything hits me a lot harder too.

Wish I had any advice to give. I get about one cold per month and can't seem to stop it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

Are the new ones from ford at least a better design?

I believe they are. I got mine for like $3 from a local dealer. Had to go to a big one, though. The smaller dealers didn’t have them in stock.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Suburban Dad posted:

Wish I had any advice to give. I get about one cold per month and can't seem to stop it.

The hell? One a MONTH? Are you sure you dont have like mono or something??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

How long have you been on a health kick? How long have you been exercising daily? I used to get a cold every month as well. Since my regime began in March of last year I have been sick twice.

• Locked thread