Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, funny or not, the bits where he wastes tons of HBO's money on some idiot scheme are amazing.

related: how many wax presidents does he have left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

webmeister posted:

Have you never lurked TVIV before? Like, that seems to be the whole point of the sub

"This show sucks! That's why I post about it 500 times a week! So that they know it sucks!"

Sons of anarchy was funny as hell to poo poo on, to be fair

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

webmeister posted:

Have you never lurked TVIV before? Like, that seems to be the whole point of the sub

"This show sucks! That's why I post about it 500 times a week! So that they know it sucks!"

Yeah, goons are... weird about how they use their free time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
There was one guy who I’m pretty sure had a bot that posted in the Game of Thrones thread two minutes after the episode finished, saying “well I thought that episode was garbage, personally”

Every week

For seven years

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

That was funny though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hakkesshu posted:

"We made jokes that were very in the style of every other joke we do on the show and you didn't notice ha ha we got you"

Honestly can we drop the lovely comedy and just make it a completely dry exploration of problems in America

Why do you watch the show

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'm pretty sure there is an endless font of dry explorations of American problems that have a host with a British accent too

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I gotta agree, the show would be better on the whole if they tried a bit less hard to be funny. The number of times it feels like someone said "we haven't had a joke in 45 seconds, give John a wacky simile" comes off pretty forced. Way too much reliance on monkey cheese random humor and not enough genuine wit related to the topic at hand.

I still watch every week.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

oldskool posted:

related: how many wax presidents does he have left?

I don't think any were destroyed were they? Just banged around a bit since wax presidents falling over is funny.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The best credit I can give this show is that I still watch it occasionally, even though I think the Daily Show contemporaries create a bigger backlash energy than they do toward progress. Oliver in particular makes me wish I was comfortable enough to vote for everything right winged and stupid, just so I could watch him gnash his teeth and despair at the state of the world in long verbal diatribes.

Part of that is because a show needs content to work and weirdly everytime the right scores victories and the world seems more depressing and bleak for the left, LWT tends to become a better show.

Jon Stewart never gave me this impression, but Jon never outright coached you to vote for something the way John does at times; he just sort of talked about what’s going on and expected the viewer to use logic and work it out. Old TDS was very, “look at this dumb thing, I’m just suggesting that maybe it could be different?” whereas LWT is really Liberal Complaints And Grievances Hour.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 15, 2018

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think you might not be the target audience if you feel that way.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I think the show is funny and also good.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

The best credit I can give this show is that I still watch it occasionally, even though I think the Daily Show contemporaries create a bigger backlash energy than they do toward progress. Oliver in particular makes me wish I was comfortable enough to vote for everything right winged and stupid, just so I could watch him gnash his teeth and despair at the state of the world in long verbal diatribes.

Part of that is because a show needs content to work and weirdly everytime the right scores victories and the world seems more depressing and bleak for the left, LWT tends to become a better show.

Jon Stewart never gave me this impression, but Jon never outright coached you to vote for something the way John does at times; he just sort of talked about what’s going on and expected the viewer to use logic and work it out. Old TDS was very, “look at this dumb thing, I’m just suggesting that maybe it could be different?” whereas LWT is really Liberal Complaints And Grievances Hour.

Yeah honestly that you would even consider voting for republicans just so you could laugh at John Oliver speaks to the content of your character.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It also ignores that LWT also has actual tangible effects. Like buying a bunch of medical debt and forgiving it. Raising money for LGBT charities via the Marlon Bundo book. The ridiculous felons-can't-vote law in Florida that Oliver mentioned a couple of months back got overturned this election, partly because of the attention he brought to it. Encouraging people to make pro-net neutrality FCC submissions. Etc etc.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Also ignores that the people actually seeking out LWT don’t need him to tell you outright to vote because the types of viewers he gets are probably somewhat educated and don’t need you to specifically tell the audience putting children in cages is bad. Don’t watch it nobody gives a poo poo. He preaches to the choir. His real impact is using HBOs money and lawyers to get his message out to the masses.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

webmeister posted:

Encouraging people to make pro-net neutrality FCC submissions. Etc etc.

Yep, this sure had a tangible effect. :(

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The Rally To Restore Sanity 2

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Phenotype posted:

Yep, this sure had a tangible effect. :(
Yeah, back in the days of The Mattering. In this new world, where Ajit Pai puts on his best fake smile and holds his oversized novelty Reese’s mug while flagrantly ignoring the public, well,

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Yeah, back in the days of The Mattering. In this new world, where Ajit Pai puts on his best fake smile and holds his oversized novelty Reese’s mug while flagrantly ignoring the public, well,

Remember when someone was altering his picture a little every day to make his toothy grin better?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Harton posted:

Yeah honestly that you would even consider voting for republicans just so you could laugh at John Oliver speaks to the content of your character.

Perhaps you didn’t get the message: From a policy and practical standpoint, I never would. From a comedy standpoint, it’s best when focused on “everything is miserable, gently caress” sort of material. The closest comparison I can think of is how some people say ‘hip’ youth focused anti-smoking materials like truthdotcom make you want to smoke just to spite off whoever is making the films.

I wasn’t trying to say “I’ll vote for Republicans with horrendous ideas,” but communicate why I stick to this show even though I ignore all other TDS contemporaries and feel like the ‘smug liberal comic takes on the news’ genre hurts more than it helps in driving turnout.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's plenty of hosed up stuff to unravel and deep dive into that's pre-existing without adding to the heap. I mean, the show started during the Obama administration and he was critical of the stuff that was happening there in even the executive branch.

If anything, the comedy has lost its impact because real life has gotten so absurd that the only thing that tops it is monkey cheese poo poo.

You need a certain level of maturity in the thing you're lampooning in order to do it with sharp wit. The bar is so much lower now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hate watching LWT to own the libs!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Craptacular! posted:

I wasn’t trying to say “I’ll vote for Republicans with horrendous ideas,” but communicate why I stick to this show even though I ignore all other TDS contemporaries and feel like the ‘smug liberal comic takes on the news’ genre hurts more than it helps in driving turnout.

I don't follow. How does you not liking LWT reduce voter turnout?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

I think he's not a fan of how all the alumni generally are very clear about their contempt for the right whereas Stewart targeted everyone and was more of an equal opportunity offender?

I kinda get what he means, in a lot of ways Colbert for example is so much worse as a late night host than he was being a right wing parody on the Colbert Report

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Servaetes posted:

I think he's not a fan of how all the alumni generally are very clear about their contempt for the right whereas Stewart targeted everyone and was more of an equal opportunity offender?

I kinda get what he means, in a lot of ways Colbert for example is so much worse as a late night host than he was being a right wing parody on the Colbert Report

Ehhh, if you couldn't pick up Stewart's political leanings watching the Daily Show you weren't paying very much attention. He did tend to go after the media and hypocrisy more than specifically targeting right wing politicians, but like, there's a reason he was biggest during the Bush years.

With Colbert I think it's more that he's a better satirist than a comedian. The character on the Colbert Report allowed him to be incisive in a way that just doing monologue gags on the Late Show doesn't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get the sense that Oliver created a variant on the news comedy show with the central gimmick of quality investigative journalism, but sometimes he forgets how that is the biggest draw of the show. I don't know how many jokes are him and how many are his writers, but overall the comedy aspect of the show is pretty weak, and occasionally he puts a dumb joke as the centerpiece of the show instead of an investigative journalism piece, and it's really annoying.

His comedy also has some weird focuses, the one that bugs me the most is the weird food elitism. He definitely has the sort of arrogance that people are always accusing liberals of. Back during the rise of Trump, he failed us, but then again almost every media outlet did on some level. We know NOW that he's a severe threat to democracy and part of a fascist movement, but back THEN everybody was so dead-set on how he's such an idiot that the racism, racketeering, and thorough undermining of the concept of truth was never the big headline centerpiece of his campaign.

So many of the easy jokes about Trump are a trap that seemingly defangs him in the eyes of the public and distract from the fascism and pillaging of the entire country as a whole. Some More News did a piece on how ol' turtle-face doesn't just look like he's ready to retreat into a shell, he's one of the most corrupt and reprehensible and hated (by his own constituents) members of the Senate. Every easy joke becomes a deflection from how much of a real shitbag these people are. LWT has some of the best research, but so often the jokes are just some lazy flab that detracts from the whole.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Servaetes posted:

Yeah, I pretty much can’t take Colbert anymore, but on the Report not only was he great but people I argued with online who were like prototype Trump supporters of the 2000s actually watched and liked him, because he was so succinct at not only repeating their talking points but then tackling them and knocking them down one by one. Whether it was “the big media are the true liars” or “marriage equality means we all have equal opportunity to marry someone of the opposite sex” to “the problem with health care is ERs can’t throw people out for inability to pay”, he always showed that he understood the core argument by vocalizing it as a satire Hannity, before torpedoing it with punchlines. His current show doesn’t allow that sort of insight.

Part of it of course is that we’re in the most salacious, sensationalized political atmosphere since the Lewinsky days. Everything is being run like a circus and it’s easy to hammer that into the ground than to have higher brow discussions about ideals. TDS was Kilborn during Lewinsky, and his sort of approach of going insult comic on everything (Trump is tacky! His appointments are tacky! Avenatti is tacky! ROFLOL!!1) is easier than to say something like “holy poo poo, the guy who wrote the memo justifying waterboarding says this acting AG is unconstitutional.” And that’s why I kind of still keep up on LWT.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 16, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah you sound like a piece of poo poo

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, I pretty much can’t take Colbert anymore, but on the Report not only was he great but people I argued with online who were like prototype Trump supporters of the 2000s actually watched and liked him, because he was so succinct at not only repeating their talking points but then tackling them and knocking them down one by one. Whether it was “the big media are the true liars” or “marriage equality means we all have equal opportunity to marry someone of the opposite sex” to “the problem with health care is ERs can’t throw people out for inability to pay”, he always showed that he understood the core argument by vocalizing it as a satire Hannity, before torpedoing it with punchlines. His current show doesn’t allow that sort of insight.

Part of it of course is that we’re in the most salacious, sensationalized political atmosphere since the Lewinsky days. Everything is being run like a circus and it’s easy to hammer that into the ground than to have higher brow discussions about ideals. TDS was Kilborn during Lewinsky, and his sort of approach of going insult comic on everything (Trump is tacky! His appointments are tacky! Avenatti is tacky! ROFLOL!!1) is easier than to say something like “holy poo poo, the guy who wrote the memo justifying waterboarding says this acting AG is unconstitutional.” And that’s why I kind of still keep up on LWT.

Yeah, I think I follow you. Out of curiousity, would this be kinda close to the point you're getting at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPI0UwHGp3M

I think the video is teenie bit unfair to Oliver personally because I think the he takes a much deeper dive on subject matter and often his best poo poo is when he strays away from the low hanging fruit of Trump jokes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Almost anything would be better than more trump jokes but that's where we are. It's exhausting. I'd just like to go a week or two without hearing anything about him but we really can't or at least shouldn't.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Sunday is the last episode of the season, so you whiny bitches will have a few months without hearing about Trump or bad jokes or whatever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was worried it would be happening soon and I'm already bummed.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

pwn posted:

Sunday is the last episode of the season, so you whiny bitches will have a few months without hearing about Trump or bad jokes or whatever.

Don't get me crossed, I'm not here to whine about how he sucks, he's great, and that is a bummer. How long does it take before he gets back for the next season generally?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Servaetes posted:

Don't get me crossed, I'm not here to whine about how he sucks, he's great, and that is a bummer. How long does it take before he gets back for the next season generally?

Roughly February.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Almost anything would be better than more trump jokes but that's where we are. It's exhausting. I'd just like to go a week or two without hearing anything about him but we really can't or at least shouldn't.

FTFY, and :same:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Sons of anarchy was funny as hell to poo poo on, to be fair

Worst part is, for the first couple of seasons it was a good or at least well received show. I'm too stingy to get rid of my gang tag is all I'm saying..

At least my avatar is still relevant (to this thread).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Servaetes posted:

Yeah, I think I follow you. Out of curiousity, would this be kinda close to the point you're getting at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPI0UwHGp3M

This covers a bit of it, but I think this video’s little tangent at the 6:00 minute mark gets my point across better than I possibly can:

https://youtu.be/wmVkJvieaOA
(Sorry I cant remember how to timestamp right now, but again the part I’m referring to is six minutes in.)

It’s part of an otherwise good series, but that obsession about putting people in their place is so true and these shows are a vessel for it. And I think it’s just toxic for “mainstream” liberalism. It also comes from a world before a shift in edgy alternative media from free weekly print magazines (which all died in the recession or the media crunch afterward) toward online venues. I’m not a big Chapo podcast guy, but they’re funnier than most of these shows and they aren’t going to influence voters and they can be raunchier than these shows.

Comcast/CBS/Disney/Verizon owned channels (lol Fox) aren’t really the best outlet for preaching to the choir anymore. They can’t be as risky/offensive as listener-supported podcasters/YouTube channels, and they have this “I know better than you” attitude that turns people off. Leftists finally got to understand how this felt when Sam Bee was doing the “Bernie supporters were just as bad as Trump supporters” thing immediately after the election.

LWT keeps my viewership because they’re the last one talking about issues (I just simply said the comedy element of the show is better when everything is poo poo.)

Edited to delete some stuff I think diluted my point, and holy poo poo Colbert’s cartoon politicians are so bad and his Trump impression is so terrible goddamn holy gently caress

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 16, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

Yeah I noticed some of the Scientology references (some were quite overt, others like the "xenu next week" and the building in the background went unnoticed) but I thought they were just making fun of Scientology rather than building towards some crescendo involving social media influencers at the end of the season. :shrug:

Same. It'd be kinda like them revealing "Janice from Accounting" references were meant to be a subtle build up to a reveal that... Janice from Accounting doesn't give a gently caress.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

So many of the easy jokes about Trump are a trap that seemingly defangs him in the eyes of the public and distract from the fascism and pillaging of the entire country as a whole. Some More News did a piece on how ol' turtle-face doesn't just look like he's ready to retreat into a shell, he's one of the most corrupt and reprehensible and hated (by his own constituents) members of the Senate. Every easy joke becomes a deflection from how much of a real shitbag these people are. LWT has some of the best research, but so often the jokes are just some lazy flab that detracts from the whole.

Oh, that's where one of the Cracked people went. Good Stuff. You could tell he could go on for days if it wasn't for the fact he would run out of jokes first or have a stroke.

:votegop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The point of the show is to make stupid jokes about the news. If you want the news watch the news.

• Locked thread