Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not being able to evolve Eevee and the game missing all the coolest eeveelutions is definitely the worst thing about Let's Go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bleck posted:

hot take: pokemon as a series would be even more staggeringly popular than it already is if they did this to every single pokemon so that everyone could have a good time trying their hand at competitive whatevers with the dudes they actually like instead of just whatever is Good

I would argue that watching your pokemon become stronger as they fight alongside you is a core part of the series’ appeal.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

making Eevee, the evolving Pokemon, not evolve goes against the point. these are fake rules you're imposing on a video game and acting like they're inviolable

I mean...kind of? It's not like there's a religious rule here or anything. But the target of Let's Go is Go players, to bring them into the mainline games, thus the Go mechanics in it. Making them optional would be missing the point of what the game wants to be, a middle-point between Go and the proper games so said Go players will buy the actual games and thus greatly increase the money Game Freak gets. While certainly possible, especially since the mechanics already exist in-game for Trainer battles and Legendary Pokemon, it's likely pointless from the developers' point of view.

Eevee not evolving is incredibly lame, yeah. Believe me, I don't disagree, it's absolutely going against the point of the Pokemon, but that does not affect the selling point of the Let's Go games which is, again, being the middle-point between Go and the main games. Eevee will still be Eevee, and you can still get an Eevee that evolves.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Blaze Dragon posted:

I mean...kind of? It's not like there's a religious rule here or anything. But the target of Let's Go is Go players, to bring them into the mainline games, thus the Go mechanics in it. Making them optional would be missing the point of what the game wants to be, a middle-point between Go and the proper games so said Go players will buy the actual games and thus greatly increase the money Game Freak gets. While certainly possible, especially since the mechanics already exist in-game for Trainer battles and Legendary Pokemon, it's likely pointless from the developers' point of view.

Eevee not evolving is incredibly lame, yeah. Believe me, I don't disagree, it's absolutely going against the point of the Pokemon, but that does not affect the selling point of the Let's Go games which is, again, beuing the middle-point between Go and the main games. Eevee will still be Eevee, and you can still get an Eevee that evolves.

this is an awful lot of words to spend pissing and moaning about why they shouldn't make the game more inclusive. why do you care this much about what would be an option in the settings menu you'd never see unless you went looking for it

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Andrast posted:

Not being able to evolve Eevee and the game missing all the coolest eeveelutions is definitely the worst thing about Let's Go

my girlfriend can't wait to not evolve her eevee and dress it up in hats and bow ties and stuff so it's pretty obvious this is a game for people who don't give a gently caress about eeveelutions

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

indigi posted:

the Go-style catching should be optional. I really don't understand why they'd want to expressly prohibit a segment of disabled gamers from playing it especially after they caught poo poo over Go initially. some people can't do timing bullshit

You can also just press the button if you don't want to do the motion controls.

The timing isn't going to be any more difficult than the timing for fishing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

this is a game for people who don't give a gently caress about eeveelutions

boo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dienes posted:

The timing isn't going to be any more difficult than the timing for fishing.

and?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Andrast posted:

You don't miss out, though. You can catch the Eeveelutions in the wild or transfer them from Go. I have like half a dozen of each Eeveelution that I will just dump right into Let's Go. If you'd rather use a Vaporeon or whatever, do that! You don't even need to have your starter in your active party. It can just ride around on your head while you blow things up with whatever else you want.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If the motion controls are optional or turn out to be not annoying, I'll get it. I worry about the monotony. Just one single throwing motion, differentiated only by finicky twisting, ain't exactly Skyward Sword, y'know?

I'm going to deposit my starter and use a regular Pikachu and a regular Eevee.

Wait, no, I don't feel like using a Raichu this time (I just did) and I would wish to use Espeon. But still. It's the principle of the thing.

Having to bear the shame of an NPC's nickname will not be enough to deter me from using an Alola form, so that's fine. I am interested to finally ride a Dodrio.

It is unlikely that I'll start playing Go again, but if that's a good way to get something that's hard to find early in the video game, I may fire it up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

this is an awful lot of words to spend pissing and moaning about why they shouldn't make the game more inclusive. why do you care this much about what would be an option in the settings menu you'd never see unless you went looking for it

I'm not trying to defend the game. I don't even like the game. It's the first time in my life I genuinely do not want to buy a Pokemon game, and I've been here since Gen 1. I'm trying to give what I believe is the developers' perspective here, since it's clearly not how you're looking at it.

I genuinely do not care about it being an option or not because even with it I would not buy Let's Go, because I am not interested in what it wants to sell me, but I'd be goddamn shocked if a game had two completely different ways to play when it's trying to aim specifically at one crowd. Said crowd isn't us, the old players of this game, and that's fine! It'll give Game Freak even more cash next generation and it'll go back to how games normally play anyways. We won't see this style again unless Let's Go Marill and Let's Go Pichu happen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dienes posted:

Is this confirmed?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

You don't miss out, though. You can catch the Eeveelutions in the wild or transfer them from Go. I have like half a dozen of each Eeveelution that I will just dump right into Let's Go. If you'd rather use a Vaporeon or whatever, do that! You don't even need to have your starter in your active party. It can just ride around on your head while you blow things up with whatever else you want.

Don't get in the way of me complaining about eeveelutions with your facts.

Also it's still missing all the coolest eeveelutions :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If eeveelution is real then why are there still eevees

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

If eeveelution is real then why are there still eevees

Because some Eevees can't evolve because they're Baddy Bad.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not trying to defend the game. I don't even like the game. It's the first time in my life I genuinely do not want to buy a Pokemon game, and I've been here since Gen 1. I'm trying to give what I believe is the developers' perspective here, since it's clearly not how you're looking at it.

I genuinely do not care about it being an option or not because even with it I would not buy Let's Go, because I am not interested in what it wants to sell me, but I'd be goddamn shocked if a game had two completely different ways to play when it's trying to aim specifically at one crowd. Said crowd isn't us, the old players of this game, and that's fine! It'll give Game Freak even more cash next generation and it'll go back to how games normally play anyways. We won't see this style again unless Let's Go Marill and Let's Go Pichu happen.

Oy, speak for yourself, hombre. I've been playing these games since the originals and I am stoked as hell for Let's Go. It's fine if you're not, but don't pretend that there's nothing here that appeals to the old-school crowd.

Andrast posted:

Don't get in the way of me complaining about eeveelutions with your facts.

Also it's still missing all the coolest eeveelutions :colbert:

It still has Vaporeon :colbert: but otherwise, point. Maybe in a couple years with Let's Go Marril and Larvitar?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Isn't larvitar heavy as hell? I can't imagine carrying one of those rock-eating suckers around on my shoulder.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jade Mage posted:

Isn't larvitar heavy as hell? I can't imagine carrying one of those rock-eating suckers around on my shoulder.

If Ash Ketchum can do it so can you. :colbert:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

I'm pretty sure it's got a Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric attack at any rate but I'm not sure about the other types.

So assuming it's got an attack based on each of its Evolutions, what's the maximum amount of coverage you can get with that Eevee?

Jade Mage posted:

It's only a little under 160lbs. It's also only 2ft tall.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Jade Mage posted:

It is, but the rules get bent all the time. :shrug: I'm sure they could think of a way to justify it.

Or just use somebody else from Gen 2. Phanpy and Teddiursa? Wooper? Mareep? Lots of cute dudes from Johto.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Now we're talking!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Xelkelvos posted:

So assuming it's got an attack based on each of its Evolutions, what's the maximum amount of coverage you can get with that Eevee?

You can hit every single Pokemon that exists with at least neutral damage with Fire/Water/Fairy and a Normal STAB move.

Edit: if willing to sacrifice STAB for coverage you could hit tons more super effectively by swapping Normal for Electric. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
If we had to do 'Let's go!' for every generation, what 2 Mascot mons do you think we'd get?

Gen II: Marrill and Togepi
Gen III: Ralts and Absol
Gen IV: Lucario and Munchlax
Gen V: Zorua and Scraggy
Gen VI: Goomy and Inkay
Gen VII: Mimikyu and Rockruff

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Lucario use Auray Aura!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kurieg posted:

Lucario use Auray Aura!

i reflexively throw a blanket over my tv

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Zore posted:

If we had to do 'Let's go!' for every generation, what 2 Mascot mons do you think we'd get?

Agree with gen 2
Gen 3, Ralts and Slakoth
Agree with Gen 4
Gen 6 you'll just get two choices of Flabebe colors

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Gen 2: Marrill and Togepi
Gen 3: Plusle & Miniun
Gen 4: Pachirisu & Riolu
Gen 5: Emolga & Zorua
Gen 6: Dedenne & Klefki
Gen 7: Togedemaru & Mimikyu

Gotta have the Pikachu knockoff in every one, cmon.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ariong posted:

I would argue that watching your pokemon become stronger as they fight alongside you is a core part of the series’ appeal.

yes, and I know more than a few people who are more than a bit disappointed that in many cases "become stronger" means "change their appearance drastically"

for example, despite all the people on this page who think that "the point" of Eevee is that it has multiple evolutions, I know a lot more people that - surprise! - think Eevee is adorable and want to put little hats on it, and are very excited at the prospect of a game where they don't HAVE to evolve their Eevee for it to be able to do stuff in battles

now think of that, but with 500 other pokemon

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The problem with this idea is that Raichu is cuter than Pikachu, and all eight of Eevee's evolved forms are cuter than Eevee. I know this because I'm an expert on cuteness, with a license and everything.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Bongo Bill posted:

The problem with this idea is that Raichu is cuter than Pikachu, and all eight of Eevee's evolved forms are cuter than Eevee. I know this because I'm an expert on cuteness, with a license and everything.

It's a surprise being blind wasn't a disqualifying factor for the license.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all eevees are equally cute

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bleck posted:

yes, and I know more than a few people who are more than a bit disappointed that in many cases "become stronger" means "change their appearance drastically"

for example, despite all the people on this page who think that "the point" of Eevee is that it has multiple evolutions, I know a lot more people that - surprise! - think Eevee is adorable and want to put little hats on it, and are very excited at the prospect of a game where they don't HAVE to evolve their Eevee for it to be able to do stuff in battles

now think of that, but with 500 other pokemon

Sure, but I don’t think completely decoupling evolution and stat improvement is a great solution to that. You could add more items like eviolite which reward keeping your pokemon in a non-fully evolved state. You could lessen the gulf between the BST of fully evolved and non-fully evolved pokemon.

In any case, I think what you’re suggesting is a very bad solution to the problem because giving every pokemon access to extremely powerful, jack-of-all-trades moves would make battles and the pokemon themselves extremely homogeneous.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I haven't suggested or endorsed any particular solutions, I just think Cute Pokemon Aren't Also Very Weak is not somehow a problem with the game

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

all eevees are equally cute

false, in fact Umbreon followed by Glaceon are in fact, the objectively cutest, sorry to inform you.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Bleck posted:

I haven't suggested or endorsed any particular solutions, I just think Cute Pokemon Aren't Also Very Weak is not somehow a problem with the game

I mean Klefki exists, he's cute as gently caress and powerful as heck, so yeah, that's not a thing.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

one example out of probably at least five or six hundred is not entirely convincing

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
You can beat the story mode with anything sufficiently leveled up. Evolution has never been mandatory.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bleck posted:

one example out of probably at least five or six hundred is not entirely convincing

There's tons of pokemon that are cute and really strong.

Sableye
Victini
Mew
Mimikyu
Jirachi
Rotom
Mawile
Manaphy
Celebi
Gligar
Murkrow
Zygarde- Doggo
Nihilego...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you could beat multiple generations of pokemon games by just teaching a pokemon surf and using that over and over in every battle so ultimately it's not like any of them have ever inherently been a challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Next thing someone will claim that all those useless baby Pokemon they keep adding aren't a total waste of space. :psyduck: