Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heath posted:

The 3DS version is retranslated for some reason (I assume to accommodate the voice acting) and the writing suffers for it. It's not major, but noticeable if you have them side by side. I prefer the original's art style too.

I thought the original art style was an option ingame somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think it's DLC. I haven't played much of the 3DS one, it's on my "get to it some day" list. The game is real good though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PAL version is hard to get ahold of now though :argh:.
I ended up buying it digital because I couldn't find a physical copy either locally or online. That was around the time it released also. I'd had it pre-ordered but the shop I pre-ordered it from basically said "lol sorry we're actually not getting this game at all".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PAL version is hard to get ahold of now though :argh:.

And the original didn't even come here at all, so double whammy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

I ended up buying it digital because I couldn't find a physical copy either locally or online. That was around the time it released also. I'd had it pre-ordered but the shop I pre-ordered it from basically said "lol sorry we're actually not getting this game at all".

It went from a full row of copies on the shelf at the local EB Games to just being gone in the span of a week for me. I regret not grabbing a copy at launch, even if I do own the DS version :sigh:.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

loudog999 posted:

I think this was answered a few pages back, but I can't find it. I'm thinking about starting Radiant Historia. Is it worth buying the 3ds version if I already have a copy of the DS that I never played?

In my opinion the new translation is much more readable, and brings the characters’ personalities out. It is far less dry. The camera is also pulled back so you get to see more of the field around your character while exploring. I couldn’t stand how zoomed in the original was, made having a sense of the location impossible. The 3DS one is superior, it’s up to you if you want to spend the money for that though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are there any DS carts that don't have the serial printed on the back? I checked a couple of mine and think I might have counterfeits. Thing is, everything else about them is perfect. Just no serials.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which games?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
2 of the 3 Castlevanias, of course. The 3rd one does have the serial. They load and play, as well, though I haven't played far in them at all. Mainly just tested the carts to make sure they work. So yeah...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird. I suppose it is possible they didn't get stamped but I wouldn't know. The stickers and cart quality look fine too?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weird. I suppose it is possible they didn't get stamped but I wouldn't know. The stickers and cart quality look fine too?

Yep. Other than the lack of serial #s on the back, they look perfect. The stickers are correct. The carts themselves are correct. There is nothing that would arouse suspicion.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I'm horrible, I sold my 3DS a year or so ago and now I want a 2DS so I can get Etrian Odyssey X and Persona Q2. Hopefully someone has a decent deal on a normal one, I am not to interested in Mario Maker. I might get Strange Journey Redux also, it sounds more player friendly than the original. Was Ever Oasis any good?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
All three of my Castlevania carts (NA first prints--I don't know if they did multiple print runs outside of the Konami's Best) have serials. I think all my DS carts do.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean if you didn't buy them in a store when the games were new at this point you may as well assume the game is a bootleg.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spuzzz posted:

I'm horrible, I sold my 3DS a year or so ago and now I want a 2DS so I can get Etrian Odyssey X and Persona Q2. Hopefully someone has a decent deal on a normal one, I am not to interested in Mario Maker. I might get Strange Journey Redux also, it sounds more player friendly than the original. Was Ever Oasis any good?

Strange Journey Redux and Ever Oasis were both solid.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think my old 3DS finally gave up the ghost. The power works fine, but neither the screens nor the sound is booting any more. I can power it on and off and charge it and all that just fine. Nintendo support says they don't do repairs on the 3DS 1.0 any longer, and that I should just get a new one, but I don't really want to spend the money that could be spent on a Switch the next time I want to treat myself to a new gaming system. Couple Qs:

-Does anyone have any experience doing self-repair? Most guides I've found suggest checking the battery fuse, but as far as I understand it, the power indicator would also be dead if that was the issue.

-I got the 3DS when I lived in Canada, and made a Nintendo ID there, but I'm in Europe now. Is there any way I could get a European N3DS without losing all my old games, or would I have to import a North American one?

E: Nevermind, it finally booted after sitting idle for 30 minutes, almost as soon as I'd hit the post button. You know how these things go.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 14, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

Are there any DS carts that don't have the serial printed on the back? I checked a couple of mine and think I might have counterfeits. Thing is, everything else about them is perfect. Just no serials.

I checked mine, my collection isn't huge but all dozen or so games have serials printed.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Hi, I gave my niece a copy of Pokemon sun and wanted to give her some good Pokemon from my copy of moon, I completed the game years ago and have complete forgot the controls! How do I fast travel? Where is the day care place? Does wonder trade still work or is internet not supported on this game anymore. Let me know!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

nerd_of_prey posted:

Hi, I gave my niece a copy of Pokemon sun and wanted to give her some good Pokemon from my copy of moon, I completed the game years ago and have complete forgot the controls! How do I fast travel? Where is the day care place? Does wonder trade still work or is internet not supported on this game anymore. Let me know!

- Using Charizard. I believe the Pokeride button is Y? You can pick specific rides and bind them to the dpad.
- Island #2, Akala Island. The Paniola Ranch.
- Yes.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

- Using Charizard. I believe the Pokeride button is Y? You can pick specific rides and bind them to the dpad.
- Island #2, Akala Island. The Paniola Ranch.
- Yes.

Thank you, I can't believe how much I forgot about how this game works!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My kid is playing through Robobot, and the adorable thing he does is he moves with the analog stick but whenever he wants to swallow an enemy he reaches down to the d-pad to press down

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You need that definitive button press tactile sensation

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Planet Robobot is so good. I coincidentally beat it this morning in my second playthrough since release.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Waltzing Along posted:

The chance of this is remote but I have hosed up and over cleaned used DS carts before. Turns out that printed serial can be wiped off pretty easy with rubbing alcohol. Have you tried comparing the Nintendo logo / NTR-005 PAT. PEND. embossing on the back to a known legit cart? I've heard that on occasion the font can be slightly off on pirated copies.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

What small install size game let's you check the calibration of the nub on the n3ds. I put a psp cap on mine and like to check calibration from time to time but keeping Monster Hunter Ultimate 4 installed to do this is taking up a lot of space for something I don't play. Or is there somewhere in settings I can do this instead of going in a game?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Turbinosamente posted:

The chance of this is remote but I have hosed up and over cleaned used DS carts before. Turns out that printed serial can be wiped off pretty easy with rubbing alcohol. Have you tried comparing the Nintendo logo / NTR-005 PAT. PEND. embossing on the back to a known legit cart? I've heard that on occasion the font can be slightly off on pirated copies.

Everything about the carts is perfect except for the lack of serials.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is A Link Between Worlds a sequel or remake of A Link to the Past? How similar are they?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lbw is like a spiritual sequel. it has lots of nods in terms of overworld design and hidden items, but they're completely different animals.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

lbw is like a spiritual sequel. it has lots of nods in terms of overworld design and hidden items, but they're completely different animals.

It's a literal sequel

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is A Link Between Worlds a sequel or remake of A Link to the Past? How similar are they?

In Japanese it's literally titled "Triforce of the Gods 2"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it is? i never thought it was a straight up sequel, i always thought of it as like an "alternate world" kind of thing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They directly reference the events of Link to the Past in it

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Some might argue Link Between Worlds is essentially a remake due to the reused overworld and basically the exact same structure, but they're still pretty different games to actually play. But yes, storywise it's really a sequel, taking place several generations later or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool, thanks everyone! I'll play LTTP first :)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Cool, thanks everyone! I'll play LTTP first :)

They are each one of the greatest games ever made. Enjoy.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What is a good grip for the XL (non-New)? My wife can't stop playing Fantasy Life and it's causing her thumb and wrist muscles to sieze up and hurt.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Asked in switch thread but actually more relevant here

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Can anyone explain how to do a child account on 3ds and tie it to my child's Nintendo Account I set up on Switch?

I'm getting him a new 2ds and will system transfer from his old 2ds, but that requires the older Nintendo Network ID, which I'm not sure how to create and if I can tie that to a child account.

Also can't figure out if I can digitally buy a game on the eShop for my child account instead of my own. I want to put Pokemon Gold on there.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
eShop Black Friday sales have started. Just picked up SteamWorld Heist for $7.50, and there’s a few other things on sale that are really tempting. (I’m looking at you, Ocarina of Time.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

(I’m looking at you, Ocarina of Time.)

It’s easily the definitive version and super worth it at that price.

Fun fact: today is the 20th anniversary since it’s first release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Just completed BD1-2 and wondering if they will ever make BD3? :gbsmith:

I had a lot of fun minus the extraneous romance subplots and I want to be a real catmancer.