Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Heath posted:

Just release every goddamn R-Type. Delta doesn't get enough love, that game is great.

edit: If you need an R-Type fix, Neo Geo Pulstar is available and is only 8 bucks. It's very similar to R-Type, by which I mean it is basically identical in a lot of ways, except that your not-Force is anchored to your ship and acts more like a shield.

IREM really sucks and is bad about re-releasing stuff on new platforms because they got the Pachinko bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Augus posted:

Nah, it looked bad in 2011 too. This is the part of the game where the dev team ran out of time

I imagine it’s a huge can of worms to ask if this is the worst looking part of the game, so I won’t ask.

Also, I have a few spells in my inventory, but I’m not able to use them. What gives? Is one of my stats too low to switch between items?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Policenaut posted:

IREM really sucks and is bad about re-releasing stuff on new platforms because they got the Pachinko bug.

Whoa, I thought they just up and evaporated like Quintet

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any game recommendations that is slow paced? Recovering from bilateral carpal tunnel surgery so my finger dexterity is in the toilet.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you can only switch spells at a bonfire. I think it’s called attune. you also need a certain amount of faith or int for each spell, and some take multiple slots.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Thanks to those who gave me advice about ordering the SF30 Pro from aliexpress. I ordered it because all the ones on German amazon came from China anyway. I’m hoping the price comes under the minimum threshold before they add fees and import tax into Luxembourg but even if they do I think it’ll be worth it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Etrips posted:

Any game recommendations that is slow paced? Recovering from bilateral carpal tunnel surgery so my finger dexterity is in the toilet.

West of Loathing :)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Is it hard to switch to a bigger SD card? I would want to put everything on my current one on the new one so I keep my captures and whatever else is on there.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

So where's the right place to get a japanese eshop voucher so I can buy phantasy star?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Etrips posted:

I know nothing about the Switch port, but Civ 6 would probably be pretty good for that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

homeless snail posted:

I know nothing about the Switch port, but Civ 6 would probably be pretty good for that.

just don't play it on the toiler unless you want hemorrhoids

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Etrips posted:

While I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "slow paced", Mario x Rabbids is entirely turn based so you can take your time with each move and then each move plays out by itself without you having to input anything else.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Someone released a ROM claiming it was the new Pokémon Let’s Go game for cracked Switches for pirates and it turns out it’s code that bricks the Switch and I’m :laffo:ing at some of the responses on the site because they have no self awareness to them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

just don't play it on the toiler unless you want hemorrhoids

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

b_d posted:

Is it hard to switch to a bigger SD card? I would want to put everything on my current one on the new one so I keep my captures and whatever else is on there.

I did it last night and it was super easy

The SD card just as a folder called Nintendo

Copy to HDD, copy to new SD, worked perfectly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I imagine it’s a huge can of worms to ask if this is the worst looking part of the game, so I won’t ask.

Also, I have a few spells in my inventory, but I’m not able to use them. What gives? Is one of my stats too low to switch between items?
I don't think it's really a can of worms, it's well known and accepted that they kinda ran out of time/budget and some parts are rushed. It's the weakest part of the game for sure, and a real shame.

Spells are complicated. You equip them at bonfires, you need stats to equip them, you need attunement to get slots to equip them in, etc. What exactly are you trying to do?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Someone released a ROM claiming it was the new Pokémon Let’s Go game for cracked Switches for pirates and it turns out it’s code that bricks the Switch and I’m :laffo:ing at some of the responses on the site because they have no self awareness to them

I would think that most people with hacked switches have NAND backups to restore function after stuff like that

still funny though

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

That's illegal!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is incredible, and I would like to read this thread.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Bloop posted:

I did it last night and it was super easy

The SD card just as a folder called Nintendo

Copy to HDD, copy to new SD, worked perfectly

nice, thanks!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Dr. VooDoo posted:

lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We arent getting an N64 classic, but we'll probably get games beyond SNES in the online thinger

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-s-reggie-fils-aime-on-hopes-for-an-n64-classic-1830465672

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Metroid 2 was an impressive game for the time but the lack of color and screen crunch makes it much more frustrating to navigate than Metroid 1. Samus Returns is much better and worth playing.

All Metroid games are good except Other M. Even Federation Force is good, if you’re playing with people, and got an unfair rap.

Mega64 posted:

If you like the original Metroid, I’d recommend the original Metroid II. It’s not for everyone, or really even most people, and it’s quite different from even Metroid I, but it also has its unique charm and a surprisingly solid atmosphere for a Game Boy title, and if you can appreciate Metroid I, warts and all, I don’t see why you couldn’t do the same for Metroid II.

Thanks for the Metroid advice. I'm gonna beat the original Terrible Trio and then pick up Metroid II for my 3DS. Could be interesting to see how it goes to Super Metroid, which I get the impression is the an apex of sorts before trying out the newer remakes.

Also I'm starting to get curious about the lore. I'm holding out for a Metroid Prime Trilogy remake coming out on the switch, but any good LP's of Other M?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks for the Metroid advice. I'm gonna beat the original Terrible Trio and then pick up Metroid II for my 3DS. Could be interesting to see how it goes to Super Metroid, which I get the impression is the an apex of sorts before trying out the newer remakes.

Also I'm starting to get curious about the lore. I'm holding out for a Metroid Prime Trilogy remake coming out on the switch, but any good LP's of Other M?

Other M had a cutscene viewer which frankly includes nearly as much gameplay as the actual game.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Etrips posted:

Banner Saga is turn-based so that might work

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Macaluso posted:

While I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "slow paced", Mario x Rabbids is entirely turn based so you can take your time with each move and then each move plays out by itself without you having to input anything else.

Guess I should have mentioned I have already played through Mario+Rabbids and Disgaea 5.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Darkest Dungeon? If you haven't played that?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Etrips posted:

Guess I should have mentioned I have already played through Mario+Rabbids and Disgaea 5.

You're gonna want Into the Breach. Nice slow paced game that takes thought and has tons of replay value. And it's only 15 bucks. You can't go wrong.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Apex in non-remakes, i guess? But in total, Zero Mission does everything SM does but better, tighter and faster. Every once in a while, i think "i should probably play through and finish super metroid some time jsut to get it done, i remember starting the game at least twice but nothing else about it" but then i skip hrough a video LP of the game and notice, no yeah, i've totally played through the entire game, now that i see it i vaguely recognize that extremely long crocomire tunnel, and loving around with beam combos, and the extremely annoying mother brain lead up, and the tilting escape sequence.

I've played through SM and it was so forgettable that i played through the entirety of it again to fill up the culture gap, and almost did it a third time before i wised up to it.
OTOH i very vividly remember various parts of (both of) my Zero Mission play throughs, and i didn't spend most of my game time playing ZM fighting the controls, unlike SM.

If they give me VC Zero Mission on Switch, i'll buy it in a heart beat.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

That guy is insane, Super Metroid is extremely worth playing. I’d put it above zero mission because navigating the endgame areas is extremely tedious on replays, and you have to take multiple trips through in most cases

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

We arent getting an N64 classic, but we'll probably get games beyond SNES in the online thinger

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-s-reggie-fils-aime-on-hopes-for-an-n64-classic-1830465672

quote:

“As we look to the future,” he said, “our subscription service, NSO, Nintendo Switch Online is going to be the place where you can play our classic content…”

“Beyond NES?” I asked.

“We’ll see what comes next,” he said. “As you have already pointed out, we haven’t even made the full library of NES games available yet.

someone please do the math, they're releasing what... 3 games per month for the NES? How long until they've released the entire NES and SNES libraries and we get to the N64? :dance:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Super Metroid is a good game but should definitely be played before Zero Mission or Fusion because it has a ton of small annoying jank with its controls that the GBA titles ironed out. Aiming diagonally especially.

Your Computer posted:

someone please do the math, they're releasing what... 3 games per month for the NES? How long until they've released the entire NES and SNES libraries and we get to the N64? :dance:

About... 15 years or so for NES :v:

And another 20 years for SNES if they stick to the same rate.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 15, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Your Computer posted:

Nintendo is dumb as gently caress and they've lucked into a lot of success with the Switch despite their best efforts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do feel it’s weird to call it less memorable as Zero Mission takes a lot of the aesthetics of Super with very few alterations. I mean they all do but Zero mission is pretty blatant.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If you really want to watch an LP of Other M, Maple Leaf and Olive Branch did one a few years ago here

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's not like i said Super Metroid is poo poo or something, or i wouldn't have played through it (twice.... maybe more? i forgot). I did say it's probably the best non-remake Metroid, and i like Fusion a lot. (That game does a lot of things right, but sadly it's at its best when it's almost over, while SM has a more consistent curve.) I've also played through the entire Prime trilogy twice.

But unlike the often tauted nostalgia-colored opinion, SM is far from the undisputed pinnacle of the genre.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do feel it’s weird to call it less memorable as Zero Mission takes a lot of the aesthetics of Super with very few alterations. I mean they all do but Zero mission is pretty blatant.

Yeah , takes it and improves on almost all aspects of it. How would that not be more memorable?

Just because something came first doesn't mean it's better.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 15, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Zore posted:

Super Metroid is a good game but should definitely be played before Zero Mission or Fusion because it has a ton of small annoying jank with its controls that the GBA titles ironed out. Aiming diagonally especially.

About... 15 years or so for NES :v:

And another 20 years for SNES if they stick to the same rate.

Keep your emulators and ROMs close, boys. It's the only reliable way for you to enjoy classic games without any bs.

Every few months or so I'll go through a roulette of random retro games for a few minutes a pop. It's a nostalgia blast and a really cool way to contextualize how far games have come.

Dark Souls/bloodborne are flat out superior versions of so many of my favorite classics (even if yes, it's not a 1:1 comparison most of the time). If I ever get an itch to play something in that realm, the answer is always to replay either game. Always!!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 15, 2018

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The original Metroid II is still worth playing, it's not a painless experience but I think it still holds up alright.
Super Metroid and the entire series owes a lot to M2- space jump, spider ball, the design of the powersuit, and lots of gameplay improvements like being able to crouch and shoot straight down. I would argue that M2 is as big an improvement over M1 as Super Metroid is to M2.
Also there's something to be said about how the technical limitations of the gameboy seem to help with the creepy atmosphere and sense of isolation.

Still, I'd recommend using a map or sketching one out yourself.

Zore posted:

What you call jank is actually deep gameplay mechanics, the controls and gameplay are the main reasons Super Metroid is one of the absolute best speedrun games.

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 15, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Etrips posted:

Ouch. I'm trying to avoid needing that so one thing I discovered is that some games can be played by using your index and middle finger like you were making rock-paper's scissors instead of using your thumb.

And check out Labyrinth of Refrain. Turn based and by the Disgaea people. I got a good number of hours outta that with one hand manipulating the face buttons on a pro controller while the other had an ice pack.

I feel like there was some other game that was good for one or one and a half hands, but I haven't Nintendoed much lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Re: Phantasy Star

https://twitter.com/JacobNahin/status/1063148873227464704
https://twitter.com/JacobNahin/status/1063149857517428736

Kinda makes me wonder if they're re-translating the game. That would be a cool feature.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 15, 2018