Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
$1.5 billion in direct subsidies, lmfao

Burn america to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

after rents blow up it'll be So Long! island city

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real hurthling! posted:

so... 2 years ago?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Another neighborhood to have lots of techie weirdos wandering around talking about their next great app idea.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Finally, something to get Cuomo and de Blasio to work together (against bipartisan opposition to this obvious liberal corporate giveaway).

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Gunshow Poophole posted:

She's so loving good at media holy crap

mac and cheese....we stan a legend

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Real hurthling! posted:

it's really Astoria/Sunnyside/Woodside where it's going to hurt the most.

I really hope we get AOC out here protesting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Matt Zerella posted:

it's really Astoria/Sunnyside/Woodside where it's going to hurt the most.

I really hope we get AOC out here protesting.

She's a Congresswoman, you want people in the state legislature to pass some law barring it or otherwise make things hell enough for the Governor to make it impossible, like voting against the relevant budget item. Since this is Cuomo and Amazon there's a chance Republicans will come on board and it might have veto-proof majorities in both houses.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
My newly elected state assemblywoman lives super close so hopefully I’ll bump into her soon and ask her what she thinks about it

She recognizes me so it’s not like I’ll be a completely random dude haranguing her

Mh new state Senator also just replaced an IDC guy (peralta) so maybe she’ll have a good position idk

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Absurd Alhazred posted:

She's a Congresswoman, you want people in the state legislature to pass some law barring it or otherwise make things hell enough for the Governor to make it impossible, like voting against the relevant budget item. Since this is Cuomo and Amazon there's a chance Republicans will come on board and it might have veto-proof majorities in both houses.

if her position is anything like what I understand Joe Crowley's evolved to be (part of it was just by seniority but still) then she'll have a biiiiiig sway with the city and state

one of our comrades works in city govt and spent weeks lookin like a ghost after that primary because it was such a bombshell

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gunshow Poophole posted:

if her position is anything like what I understand Joe Crowley's evolved to be (part of it was just by seniority but still) then she'll have a biiiiiig sway with the city and state

one of our comrades works in city govt and spent weeks lookin like a ghost after that primary because it was such a bombshell

You don't just get that automatically from winning election to any individual federal position. You build that up through clout in the local machine, and he's still got that.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

I'm ready for my free money now. And healthcare, and education, and weed. Like, now. I don't want to work anymore, please give me income for no reason.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
hmm interesting take

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of AOC:

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1062534985859678209

Edit: Back to the LIC Amazone:

https://twitter.com/RosaGoldensohn/status/1062502174851252224

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Nov 14, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Assemblyman Ron Kim just jumped up a ton of spaces on my "best people in NYC politics" list. He proposed a bill to slash funding for corporate handouts and use it to buy back student debt. I didn't really trust him from the start and thought he only reluctantly went along with that nail salon crackdown, but I'm always willing to change my mind if someone deserves it. I'm not sure if it was thought of independently of this announcement or whether it was a response, but you can't argue against the timing.

In non-Amazon news, I went to this meeting tonight. I heard about it via the Crown Heights Tenants Union email list today

The reason they sent this out today on short notice was because, as the email put it, it might be the only chance to tell Cumbo to her face to go against these new projects. Needless to say, the snake didn't bother showing up, and Clarke didn't either. Mosley was the only elected official at the event, and as much as I don't like him, Cumbo really did him dirty. All of these projects will be tall buildings that are mostly unaffordable to the people in Crown Heights and will cast big shadows over the neighborhood and the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. It was very clear that Mosley had no idea about any of the details of these projects- most of the people in the crowd knew more than he did. It's definitely his job to do his research and inform his constituents (his nearby colleague, Diana Richardson, did all of the work informing people about the Bedford Union Armory), but it was very clear that Cumbo took advantage of his ignorance and threw him to the wolves.

Basically, Crown Heights is going to become Manhattanized much quicker than I thought, and it's all because of Laurie Cumbo.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Crowley was partnof leadership because he specifically was elected into the role, not because of the seat he held. AOC ain’t gettin there right away.

Looks like the Crowley job is shaping up to be a showdown between our own Hakeem Jeffries (meh), and Barbara Lee

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid posted:

My new state Senator also just replaced an IDC guy (peralta) so maybe she’ll have a good position idk

update:

https://twitter.com/DaveCoIon/status/1062754068312047616

good things happen when you chuck out IDC shitheads

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

update:

https://twitter.com/DaveCoIon/status/1062754068312047616

good things happen when you chuck out IDC shitheads

hell yeah

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Crowley was partnof leadership because he specifically was elected into the role, not because of the seat he held. AOC ain’t gettin there right away.

Looks like the Crowley job is shaping up to be a showdown between our own Hakeem Jeffries (meh), and Barbara Lee

I met Hakeem years ago when I still lived in Brooklyn and he seemed fine, but I remember him being an attorney for Viacom or something like that before getting into politics so beware of succ

I haven't really followed his career/policy positions recently so ymmv

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

well, if it took jeffries that short of an amount of time to become a serious contender for the #4 house democrat, AOC could become a force sooner rather than later. not counting her and max rose, he's the second-least senior house democrat of the NYC delegation. only grace meng has spent less time in congress

i prefer jeffries over yvette clarke, who is a do-nothing nepotism case, but i'm skeptical because he's already a self-styled local power broker in brooklyn and i'm leery of anyone who craves that kind of power in such a short amount of time. i'd rather have nydia valezquez

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I managed to overcome my anxiety and phone my two state legislators to raise concerns about the Amazon deal. We'll see if that helps.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I managed to overcome my anxiety and phone my two state legislators to raise concerns about the Amazon deal. We'll see if that helps.

Good on you! Every bit helps

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Thanks!

Seems like the state senate is having some meeting next week, so it's a good time to bring it up. I made sure to tie it to the various Upstate development scandals that the Cuomo admin is embroiled in, which hits closer to home up here in Albany, and to mention that it seems Queens representatives aren't very happy with it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

well, if it took jeffries that short of an amount of time to become a serious contender for the #4 house democrat, AOC could become a force sooner rather than later. not counting her and max rose, he's the second-least senior house democrat of the NYC delegation. only grace meng has spent less time in congress

i prefer jeffries over yvette clarke, who is a do-nothing nepotism case, but i'm skeptical because he's already a self-styled local power broker in brooklyn and i'm leery of anyone who craves that kind of power in such a short amount of time. i'd rather have nydia valezquez

100 percent Rose will be out in 2020. He only just barely got elected cause he's the first Democrat in some to really loving work at it, it's the first time I ever had Volunteers for someone sowe up to my house. They were all over the ferry for weeks. But it's still a place that went 56 percent for Trump. Cause while the North part of the island can pretty Blue (which will change as they gentrify the neighborhood) the Mid Island and South part are red as hell cause that's where all the rich fucks and cops live

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1063192501597675520

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

He’s actually right.

It just ought to be attached to ending the farce that our legislature is “part time”. Give them a raise, make them quit their other jobs as lawyers or whatever else.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

100 percent Rose will be out in 2020. He only just barely got elected cause he's the first Democrat in some to really loving work at it, it's the first time I ever had Volunteers for someone sowe up to my house. They were all over the ferry for weeks. But it's still a place that went 56 percent for Trump. Cause while the North part of the island can pretty Blue (which will change as they gentrify the neighborhood) the Mid Island and South part are red as hell cause that's where all the rich fucks and cops live
i honestly didn't even want Rose to win for petty personal reasons. the last democrat to hold that seat (mcmahon) was also one-and-done, but that was also in 2010. he might hold on to it past then. just like nassau county, democrats hold a very slight registration advantage there, but unlike nassau, trump is well-liked there. so who knows

speaking of that part of SI, why did Lanza lose 20% of his votes to a blank ballot?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/joshgreenman/status/1063424549033820160

I wish they'd call what he got passed "removing state protection from Yeshiva students", instead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

change the constitution to protect our rights to have stupid children

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

change the constitution to protect our rights to have stupid children

Just criminally undereducated. I was reading a couple of threads from ex-Satmars, and I know an ex-Hassid personally. :smith:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/politics/new-york-state/simcha-felder-fades-into-insignificance.html

Get hosed Simcha!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Finally, something to get Cuomo and de Blasio to work together (against bipartisan opposition to this obvious liberal corporate giveaway).

I like how it's so blatant how they are trying to ramrod the whole thing through for both the tax breaks and development plan.

Also if Amazon is so desperate to have the plan after doing intensive research on best quality life of cities then why are the subsidies even needed?

It's almost like getting away with a massive robbery was just as important as the other factors...

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Moster/Yaffed does great work, with very few missteps. Really hoping that some of Felder's damage to frum communities can be undone, which is not a popular opinion in my zipcode. :(

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just criminally undereducated. I was reading a couple of threads from ex-Satmars, and I know an ex-Hassid personally. :smith:

The Satmar schools are some of the worst, and a lot of that is due to the community's stance on speaking non-Jewish languages and other assimilation issues. Look at the list of yeshivas who refuse to allow inspectors in and compare that schools implicated in school lunch fund scams and other Satmar shenanigans. Besides education there is a huge issue of child abuse, including sexual abuse,

More normal hasidic communities still have huge education gaps for adolescent boys, and the PEARLS initiative/group is taking approaches in appealing to legislators and popular culture in ways very similar to how the Gur and other large Polish hasidic groups responded to assimilation and education pressures in interwar Poland*, which has been fascinating to watch contemporary rebbes taking pages from their great-grandpa's playbooks. (* Allow us to have control of things and we will bring things into compliance, find a compromise, just give us autonomy, c'mon we're voting for your most conservative politicians, trust us.)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
cuomo statement up

it's a bunch of whiny bullshit lmao

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Cuomo was on Brian Lehrer this morning, and amidst his usual cavalcade of prevaricating and evasion, he made a clear, unequivocal, unqualified statement that if he were handed a bill to abolish vacancy decontrol, he’d sign it.

With a democratic senate, it’d be nice to hold him to that one.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/columbiaspec/status/1064587219489488896?s=21

:toot:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

cuomo statement up

it's a bunch of whiny bullshit lmao
he also blamed a few media outlets for hypocrisy or some such nonsense because he's just a slightly lefter, slightly less racist trump

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is this the most he's ever been in the media or something? I heard complaints that he rarely gets interviewed.

Enjoy this lengthy interview with NYC's Deputy Mayor for Gentrification.. I mean, for Housing and Economic Development

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CaptainPsyko posted:

Cuomo was on Brian Lehrer this morning, and amidst his usual cavalcade of prevaricating and evasion, he made a clear, unequivocal, unqualified statement that if he were handed a bill to abolish vacancy decontrol, he’d sign it.

With a democratic senate, it’d be nice to hold him to that one.
okay I think I'm misreading this one

vacancy decontrol says that if an apartment is vacant, the rent can be raised (as in, disregarding previous rent control)

but rent control is a lovely way to solve housing problems to begin with, so shouldn't this be super low on the priority list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Probably good news ultimately, but that no strike clause until 2020 is hosed.