Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Peacoffee posted:

The U.S. just doesn’t Vaalue that relationship as much anymore.

Natal puns are welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

I'm pretty sure you can count the countries that get a "real" ambassador on the fingers of one hand. It's just not a position that demands someone qualified anymore. The few things they do have to do actually kinda match up well with the skills needed to be a major donor (good at schmoozing lots of rich friends).

Does Woody Johnson get a title like “The Honorable” ?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
My :toxx: is still active for Florida’s senate seat. Hopefully the hand recount goes well.

When is Mississippi’s run off?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does Woody Johnson get a title like “The Honorable” ?

despite the fact that the english have been subjected to the horror of watching jets football in person, yes

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Honestly, we probably should just make ambassadors non-senate-confirmable positions, or make it a senate-vetoable position. Is there a specific constitutional provision that requires they be senate confirmed that I'm forgetting?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hellblazer187 posted:

But they are still going to do a hand recount, which was the real chance for this.

Oh, I thought that was for the hand recount, not the machine. My bad

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/MLevineReports/status/1063253354829291520?s=19

Edit..... : probably not exciting?
https://twitter.com/SeamusHughes/status/1063235675682689029?s=19

JasonV fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 16, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Teddybear posted:

Honestly, we probably should just make ambassadors non-senate-confirmable positions, or make it a senate-vetoable position. Is there a specific constitutional provision that requires they be senate confirmed that I'm forgetting?

quote:

2: He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Well, there you go. I haven't brushed up on my appointments clause lately. Nevermind.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I absolutely believe this; every time I draft a motion my first step is to find a similar motion someone filed to copy all of the formatting and boilerplate from. Holy poo poo is that an incredible find.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

evilweasel posted:

I absolutely believe this; every time I draft a motion my first step is to find a similar motion someone filed to copy all of the formatting and boilerplate from. Holy poo poo is that an incredible find.

This is like every lawyer's worst nightmare come to life, except instead of it being having to file an amended motion/complaint sheepishly swapping out names, they've given away that they've filed charges against a guy they're desperately trying to pretend is free to walk out of his self-imposed asylum.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

There's a Danish reality TV show that just followed the US Ambassador to Denmark around. Apparently the Danes really liked the guy even if his main qualification was being a big fundraiser.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

despite the fact that the english have been subjected to the horror of watching jets football in person, yes

look, even the English can recognize that the Jets are the Brexit of the NFL world

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

good lord that is something alright

there were tons of rumors a sealed indictment against Assange already existed, too

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
It has been decades since the Ambassador to anywhere really mattered, except under unusual circumstances. All the real action is done through the consuls, who are career State Department people

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Spiffster posted:

When is Mississippi’s run off?

every day, making a dead spot in the gulf of mexico

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1063268875951894529

some context on what might have been happening in August in the Eastern District of Virginia

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

every day, making a dead spot in the gulf of mexico

this is the news thread

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

predicto posted:

It has been decades since the Ambassador to anywhere really mattered, except under unusual circumstances. All the real action is done through the consuls, who are career State Department people

Or direct phone calls from/to the President or Secretary of State. They are indeed mostly anachronistic.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Wow. It's been nearly a whole page since someone posted a story about how hosed the VA IT systems are.

Here, have another.

It's fresh, so it has lots of Trumpian incompetence, self dealing, and back-stabbing to go with the short sightedness, COTS capability shortfalls, and hopeless wishful thinking that's par for the course.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xae posted:

If you want a good look at the crushing amount of legacy in the DoD or VA read this.

Its also a good thing to keep in mind when you're wondering why poo poo gets so expensive at big organizations. There isn't "a" system. There are hundreds, or thousands of systems with overlapping and contradictory puropses and they are interconnected in a way that no one knows or understands.

Systems talk to each other and no one knows or notices until it stops working. Files get randomly dropped to a share on a network drive and read by dozens of systems. Or none. Every day a critical report gets loaded into a system... that no one even has access to view. You can't shutdown or replace old systems because you have no idea what depends on it. You may also have legacy code on the inputs that you can't change. Because what loads your system is some compiled executable that has business critical logic in that no one knows any more and the code was lost in The Great Source Control Purge of '05.

Even if a particularly good team knows the direct ancestors and descendant systems for their little corner of the world they have no idea what happens outside that scope.

That is enterprise IT: Thousands of barely managed, barely functional systems in a rats nest to end all rats nests. Now add being managed by geriatric Congressmen to the mix and you have Government IT.

What consistently surprises me about the myriad systems in the government is just how incredibly poorly documented they are.

Like I get how it happens but it is just so at odds with the documentation fetish that the government usually operates under.

The military has a 26 page brownie recipe/specification document. The guide for how my job works is over 2000 pages. Yet there's absolutely nothing known about the format many of these systems use to store data and pass it along to the next system.

The whole shebang needs a ground up redesign because we have no loving clue what is even there. To take the strained metaphor at the end of that article further the people in charge of things are busy looking for some talented conductor to make everything play in tune, but we don't even know what instruments the orchestra has, much less their condition, so all that anyone can manage is a long drawn out fart noise.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think the US Digital Service (arising from the fixing-healhcare.gov initiative during Obama administration) is supposed to address this sort of stuff, but it's possibly too heavily biased towards younger/Internet generation-type people, who may not have the best background in dealing with things designed using 1950s tech.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I'm pretty sure you can count the countries that get a "real" ambassador on the fingers of one hand. It's just not a position that demands someone qualified anymore. The few things they do have to do actually kinda match up well with the skills needed to be a major donor (good at schmoozing lots of rich friends).

This is not true. It's actually the exact opposite.

Click here for interactive version, along with the explanatory article.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

IIRC this is because if you're a rich donor, you want to be stationed (i.e. live) in nice, fancy places like Luxembourg or Amsterdam, as opposed to, say, N'Djamena or Vientiane.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

The military has a 26 page brownie recipe/specification document. The guide for how my job works is over 2000 pages.

That's just the opposite extreme. I don't care if you're the royal chef of Saudi Arabia, under pain of death if you gently caress the brownies up, you don't a 26 page brownie reciepe. You've gone way past the point where the recipe is an active hindrance to making good brownies.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Do you think its going to become a job that demands a qualified person post-Trump?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's just the opposite extreme. I don't care if you're the royal chef of Saudi Arabia, under pain of death if you gently caress the brownies up, you don't a 26 page brownie reciepe. You've gone way past the point where the recipe is an active hindrance to making good brownies.

It looks like it's less 26 pages of recipe and more like 26 pages of "hey, don't use garbage eggs and sewer water or use fish oil" ingredient sourcing thing for making a food all over in different conditions from different resources.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Do not even think about starting a food derail.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

IT planning words

It all has to start with a real ID system and work outwards from there. I'm not some ID showing wierdo, but our records system needs to work outwards from the people. We need to as people of this country haves access to and control our identities.

It would be this countries greatest beuricratic moonshot.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mattzap/status/1063288025193594890

We need Mueller to do some poo poo so we can finally start to untangle all of this stuff

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

We need Mueller to do some poo poo so we can finally start to untangle all of this stuff

there's a reasonable chance this is unrelated to Mueller - read up on Josh Schulte and the Vault 7 leaks.

just a few weeks ago, he was caught with cell phones in prison he was allegedly using to pass (even more) classified information to wikileaks

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1057753860952023041

quote:

The US government says that "in or about early October 2018, the Government learned that Schulte was using one or more smuggled contraband cellphones to communicate clandestinely with third parties outside of the MCC."

A search of his housing unit performed by FBI agents revealed "multiple contraband cellphones (including at least one cellphone used by Schulte that is protected with significant encryption); approximately 13 email and social media accounts (including encrypted email accounts); and other electronic devices."

Investigators said they confirmed Schulte used the phones and that he, among other things, "transmitted classified information to third parties, including by using an encrypted email account."

Now, the US government is seeking a superseding indictment that includes two additional charges on top of the 13 he was charged in June.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Charlz Guybon posted:

its a 26 page procurement specification

its only that long because people have made hosed up brownies over the years

also because technically this is detailed evidence in the case of a contractual dispute by the vendor providing insufficient goods so there's a bunch of extra stuff just to deal with legal bullshit

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 16, 2018

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

OddObserver posted:

I think the US Digital Service (arising from the fixing-healhcare.gov initiative during Obama administration) is supposed to address this sort of stuff, but it's possibly too heavily biased towards younger/Internet generation-type people, who may not have the best background in dealing with things designed using 1950s tech.

This is exactly what USDS, 18F, and the general TTS effort at GSA are focused on, and have been doing since their inception. It turns out that old technology, by itself, isn't the issue - it's not like you can't just go over to the agency that owns it and eventually track down someone who knows something about it. The issue is that no single human can understand the entirety of these systems. This is compounded by the fact that the government severely lacks deep technical skill at the GS-14/15 level, so among the set of executives that have the power to fix these broken systems, very few know how to buy the right talent or actually direct such an effort. Even if they did, they often lack the power to remove bureaucratic roadblocks or set the correct course of action. What you end up with is an unending cycle of people who know the solution but end up screaming into the void until they burn out and leave. Google developers at USDS needing to read a COBOL book as part of their project is not, comparatively, a huge deal.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ceiling fan posted:

Wow. It's been nearly a whole page since someone posted a story about how hosed the VA IT systems are.

Here, have another.

It's fresh, so it has lots of Trumpian incompetence, self dealing, and back-stabbing to go with the short sightedness, COTS capability shortfalls, and hopeless wishful thinking that's par for the course.

It always amazes me that people think these complex systems can be replaced in one go if you just throw enough money at it. Not that anyone in Congress seems remotely capable of understanding the underlying issues with that idea.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

zynga dot com posted:

What you end up with is an unending cycle of people who know the solution but end up screaming into the void until they burn out and leave. Google developers at USDS needing to read a COBOL book as part of their project is not, comparatively, a huge deal.

In my experience, telling management what actually needs to be done is a sure fire way to dead end your career in government IT. Especially at these agencies where non-technical people get promoted into IT Management.

I applied to he COBOL dev position.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

TheMadMilkman posted:

In my experience, telling management what actually needs to be done is a sure fire way to dead end your career in government IT. Especially at these agencies where non-technical people get promoted into IT Management.

USDS has an interesting model in that positions are term-based (2 years and a possible 2 year renewal). Knowing that going in removes a lot of the hesitation in telling a room full of directors that their plan sucks. Plus you’re a fed too, so you’re not getting fired or losing a contract.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

TheMadMilkman posted:

quote:

In August, the VA spent at least $874,000 on a kickoff event in Missouri, where Cerner is headquartered. Morris and Windom squabbled over stage time and walk-on songs, and she clashed with Sandoval and Stone over how much they would participate, two former officials said. They presented a convoluted organization chart that couldn’t paper over the power struggle.

The week after, Zenooz quit. Morris followed three days later. She’d lasted less than two months.

The leadership struggles raised alarms on a House subcommittee organized to oversee the Cerner implementation. “It would be a tragedy for the program to be undermined by personality conflicts and bureaucratic power struggles before it even begins in earnest,” the subcommittee’s chairman, Indiana Republican Jim Banks, said in an Aug. 24 letter to Wilkie.

But that’s exactly what was happening. With Morris gone, Windom was back in charge. Windom also led the contract negotiations for the DOD; Cashour, the VA spokesman, said Windom “has been with the effort since its inception and has the necessary expertise and institutional knowledge to lead this initiative effectively.” Because of his acquisitions background, Windom thinks about the project in terms of “cost, schedule and performance objectives.” Windom has no background in health care, and other officials say his focus on schedule and budget could come at the expense of getting a product that achieves “seamless care.”

The bad chases out, well, everyone.

quote:

Another of the candidates recruited by the headhunters was Jonathan Manis, who was the CIO of Sutter Health in Northern California. Manis, 56, had led software implementations at two large hospital systems and is a veteran. He said he was excited about the opportunity and interviewed with multiple VA officials.

But then he heard from Moskowitz, the West Palm Beach physician. Manis said he didn’t understand Moskowitz’s role, but he could tell his opinion was important, or else he wouldn’t have been on the phone.

After that conversation, Manis withdrew. He said the politics at the VA seemed too volatile for him to uproot his life and take a massive pay cut for a job that might not last. “I understood this was going to be a difficult mission, and as long as we were all committed, I wanted to lead it,” he said. “But if this thing was bouncing around so much and people were in and out, that instability, given the compensation and the unknowns, was too much for me.”

Dr. Moskowitz is a member at Mar-a-Lago.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

The Glumslinger posted:

Next time someone complains about a typo in my motion I’m gonna think of this

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I want Assange to go to prison for espionage so bad, not because I care at all about espionage against the US government, but because the meltdowns from the smug conspiracy pricks who thought Trump was one of them would be hilarious.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
absolutely the worst outcome for assange is that he is questioned by the bobbies and released and then he's standing there having to figure out what to do with his life knowing that nobody wants to arrest or detain him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

luxury handset posted:

absolutely the worst outcome for assange is that he is questioned by the bobbies and released and then he's standing there having to figure out what to do with his life knowing that nobody wants to arrest or detain him

I would bet that Assange has a long list of people who want him vanished. So my guess is that in the unlikely event the US government lets him go, he would immediately find a deep hole to spend the rest of his life in.