Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The rest of the army is too busy collaborating, running away, or only existing on paper to be demoralized.

The Afghan government's claimed troop numbers are largely a work of fiction.

Yeah, one of the problems with these propped up national armies that we put up is that they tend to be extremely bloated to fight these wars, so they inevitably end up having a few 'special forces' which are considered trustworthy, then a bunch of barely-paid conscripts manning bases and sucking up money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, one of the problems with these propped up national armies that we put up is that they tend to be extremely bloated to fight these wars, so they inevitably end up having a few 'special forces' which are considered trustworthy, then a bunch of barely-paid conscripts manning bases and sucking up money.

that sounds like a lot of armies tbh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The rest of the army is too busy collaborating, running away, or only existing on paper to be demoralized.

The Afghan government's claimed troop numbers are largely a work of fiction.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is right from the Vietnam playbook.

Literally, you can read the "in the field" parts of Daniel Ellsberg's Secrets and this is exactly how it was.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it's as old as war, or at least as old as the Byzantine empire and probably before that. I mean its the same model used in Syria.

I guess you cant build a nation with just money. Vietnam, Afghanistan; greedy corrupt people just sabotage everything...

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I don't think the Afghan government is powerful enough to conscript anyone. It struggles just to keep its volunteer forces from gong AWOL, and I'm pretty sure local warlords wouldn't countenance rival power-brokers stealing their clients.

Instead of conscripts the problem for the Afghan security forces are the myriad local militias and police units. These forces are often more interested in extracting protection money from their communities and other criminal enterprises than fighting the Taliban. They often don't have much choice but to live by extortion, as they are poorly supplied and have few other means of sustaining themselves. While there are no reliable estimates of their true number, a reasonable estimate is probably 50% of paper strength. The army has its own problems with ghost soldiers but my impression is its somewhat better monitored.

I think it's interesting to note the parallels between the Afghan commandos and the elite Syrian government units, who fulfill roughly the same tactical role of rapid reaction force.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Houthi drone directed artillery strikes Arab coalition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dkzNrGsaE0

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Remember when warmongers itt assured us Yemen was just a distraction and any concern over it was obviously rooted in bad faith?

https://twitter.com/gregorydjohnsen/status/1062693285318275072

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Throatwarbler posted:

Houthi drone directed artillery strikes Arab coalition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dkzNrGsaE0
Drones really have changed warfare over the last decade, it's very interesting. I don't think it will be long before relatively low tech armies will have the ability to deliver bombs to target locations via drone. We saw the first of it with ISIS grenade drones but it will get actually scary for occupying forces once rebels can deliver serious ordinance to previously impregnable locations. Drone sighting for artillery is a great example of a slightly more well equipped rebel force being able to project power in a way you'd only expect a conventional military could achieve.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Remember when warmongers itt assured us Yemen was just a distraction and any concern over it was obviously rooted in bad faith?

No? If you have something specific in mind you should quote it.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Flayer posted:

Drones really have changed warfare over the last decade, it's very interesting. I don't think it will be long before relatively low tech armies will have the ability to deliver bombs to target locations via drone. We saw the first of it with ISIS grenade drones but it will get actually scary for occupying forces once rebels can deliver serious ordinance to previously impregnable locations. Drone sighting for artillery is a great example of a slightly more well equipped rebel force being able to project power in a way you'd only expect a conventional military could achieve.

How does drone sighting work exactly? Do they have a GPS on the drone and a laser-ranger finder, so they can pin-point the coordinates of the place they want to bombard?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

qkkl posted:

How does drone sighting work exactly? Do they have a GPS on the drone and a laser-ranger finder, so they can pin-point the coordinates of the place they want to bombard?

You don’t even need that much sophistication. If you know where the drone is, and you know the azimuth and angle of the camera, it’s a simple calculation to know the altitude and location of what’s centered on camera.

More advanced setups will use a different method, but a basic hobbyist can do the above.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Honestly no, I can't say I do.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

I remember posting that people needed to be careful spreading those 10 million people at risk of starving in 6 months type reports on boy who cried wolf grounds, and you making a big post agreeing with me, if that's what you're referring to.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Volkerball posted:

I remember posting that people needed to be careful spreading those 10 million people at risk of starving in 6 months type reports on boy who cried wolf grounds, and you making a big post agreeing with me, if that's what you're referring to.

You’re on real thin ground vb.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Squalid posted:

I don't think the Afghan government is powerful enough to conscript anyone. It struggles just to keep its volunteer forces from gong AWOL, and I'm pretty sure local warlords wouldn't countenance rival power-brokers stealing their clients.

Instead of conscripts the problem for the Afghan security forces are the myriad local militias and police units. These forces are often more interested in extracting protection money from their communities and other criminal enterprises than fighting the Taliban. They often don't have much choice but to live by extortion, as they are poorly supplied and have few other means of sustaining themselves. While there are no reliable estimates of their true number, a reasonable estimate is probably 50% of paper strength. The army has its own problems with ghost soldiers but my impression is its somewhat better monitored.

I think it's interesting to note the parallels between the Afghan commandos and the elite Syrian government units, who fulfill roughly the same tactical role of rapid reaction force.

10% of paper strength. And the only willing volunteers are the taliban. Come get some food some training then gun down as many ana guys as you can. Volunteers dry up when green on green happend

Afghan commanders report troop numbers higher than they are so they can keep the ghost troops pay for themselves. Of course these guys are unaware or dont care that their fake counts are used in Sigar reports to say " still winning yup yup troop counts up yup yup". Besides the troops these commanders do have are used for other tasks like manufacturing drugs or raiding rival dealers.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 14, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

if that's what you're referring to.

It's not, but my post this morning was a dumb slapfight about poo poo that's way less important than what's actually happening in Yemen, so I regret it even if I think people's memories may be a bit faulty in this instance. It's good that this thread doesn't descend into petty arguments all the time anymore, and "remember when?" doesn't help anything.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

You don’t even need that much sophistication. If you know where the drone is, and you know the azimuth and angle of the camera, it’s a simple calculation to know the altitude and location of what’s centered on camera.

More advanced setups will use a different method, but a basic hobbyist can do the above.

The more advanced setups take into consideration the attitude of the platform and the offset from the GPS antenna to the camera, but that's pretty much how it works for everyone. There is even a standard for embedding such data in the video stream because of course there is. Search for MISB ST 0601.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was unsurprised that the request had been made to look into this as a way to appease Turkey, but the specific reason why is insane:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1063111419158245376

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So that's why they didn't release anything to the public. Clever girl.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Although to be honest in the long run it might be a bad decision. You're getting rid of your scapegoat instead of milking it indefinitely, creating a martyr and increasing focus on other areas, where according to what I've heard there is already a lot of dissatisfaction. Let's see how it plays out.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Are they actually expecting to find a way to extradite Gulen or is this just a"look we asked, they said no" kind of thing?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

Are they actually expecting to find a way to extradite Gulen or is this just a"look we asked, they said no" kind of thing?

How important do you think selling weapons and personal enrichment is to Trump and Kushner? The answer is probably dependent on that scale.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Also is Erdogan genuinely seeking justice for Khashoggi or is he mostly trying to use this to get the Saudis to cut their support for Rojava? I've heard that he knew Khashoggi personally and he's probably pretty annoyed at the Saudis for doing their murder in Istanbul but all this concern over a dead journalist seems out of character for him

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

Also is Erdogan genuinely seeking justice for Khashoggi or is he mostly trying to use this to get the Saudis to cut their support for Rojava? I've heard that he knew Khashoggi personally and he's probably pretty annoyed at the Saudis for doing their murder in Istanbul but all this concern over a dead journalist seems out of character for him

I think a large part of it is motivated by regional rivalries. Turkey supported Qatar for instance when the Saudis were throwing around all those ultimatums and threats last year.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Flavahbeast posted:

It's been widely speculated that Erdogan's looking to be bribed into shutting up, and the fact that the US was looking for an appropriate bribe to give him kind of supports that theory.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sinteres posted:

I was unsurprised that the request had been made to look into this as a way to appease Turkey, but the specific reason why is insane:

Jesus theyre wagering gulen for sudia arabia. Thats a pretty big chip to play. This looks like it was going ti get pretty significant before negotiations came up. Gulen seemingly been out of favor for a while in terms of popularity, while he has followers, the blackout has really silenced things.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 15, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ardennes posted:

You’re on real thin ground vb.

Why?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Read his post again.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Sinteres posted:

This is one of the most disgusting things I've read here. Giving up a vocal critic to 'sorryijustarresstedhalfmycountry' Erdoğan to stop them from bitching at the Sauds for killing a vocal critic of MBS is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

pro starcraft loser posted:

This is one of the most disgusting things I've read here. Giving up a vocal critic to 'sorryijustarresstedhalfmycountry' Erdoğan to stop them from bitching at the Sauds for killing a vocal critic of MBS is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

The dumbest thing you've ever heard so far

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/us/navy-seal-edward-gallagher-isis.html#click=https://t.co/iMr2VKnD0f

More info about the American crimes against humanity in Iraq.

quote:

But now, less than a year later, Special Operations Chief Gallagher, 39, is locked in the brig, facing charges that during that same deployment — his eighth — he shot indiscriminately at civilians, killed a teenage Islamic State fighter with a handmade custom blade, and then performed his re-enlistment ceremony posing with the teenager’s bloody corpse in front of an American flag.

The Navy has charged Chief Gallagher with premeditated murder, attempted murder and nearly a dozen other offenses, including obstruction of justice and bringing “discredit upon the armed forces.” If he is convicted, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

In a two-day preliminary hearing at Naval Base San Diego that concluded Thursday, prosecutors presented accounts from several other SEALs in Chief Gallagher’s platoon describing his behavior as reckless and bloodthirsty. They said he fired into civilian crowds, gunned down a girl walking along a riverbank and an old man carrying a water jug, and threatened to kill fellow SEALs if they reported his actions.

Navy investigators said that one SEAL medic was kneeling over the fighter’s head, treating him, when Chief Gallagher walked up and, without saying a word, took out a handmade knife and stabbed the teenager several times in the neck and side.

Members of the platoon then posed for photos with Chief Gallagher as he held the teenager’s head up by the hair with one hand, and held his knife in the other. Photos show Chief Gallagher then raising his right hand to perform a re-enlistment ceremony over the dead body, while another SEAL member holds an American flag.

The whole organization is criminal. Americans who do not constantly verbally harass veterans are just as complicit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It doesn't count as crimes against humanity if your government doesn't consider the victims to be human.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

pro starcraft loser posted:

Gulen is no angel, and definitely much more than a dissident and vocal critic. He runs a vast worldwide network of private entities (such as charter schools all over the US) wrapped in a tight shroud of cult of personality and strongly suspected to be fronts for money laundering and corruption.

Keep in mind he used to be best friends with Erdogan, before they got into a power struggle and he lost. So you're looking at a case of "corrupt rear end in a top hat vs. corrupt rear end in a top hat" here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HorrificExistence posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/us/navy-seal-edward-gallagher-isis.html#click=https://t.co/iMr2VKnD0f

The whole organization is criminal. Americans who do not constantly verbally harass veterans are just as complicit.

well there's a nice new performative take

hopefully you, at least, constantly verbally harass veterans

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HorrificExistence posted:

Tell me if you will which countries you find do not commit "crimes of inhumanity" on some level id love to see your list

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seriously, this poo poo is just what a war is, America is no different outside of the fact that it's the country doing the most war at any given time. The idea that wars aren't a monstrosity by definition is ridiculous nonsense that people buy in to to make themselves feel better about voting for the people that make the wars happen.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

LeoMarr posted:

Tell me if you will which countries you find do not commit "crimes of inhumanity" on some level id love to see your list

On the other hand, the ones most logically responsible for criticizing American war-crimes are American citizens (and US taxpayers generally).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/agerhusmedia/status/1063224269105184771

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Frankly I'm pleasantly surprised the guy is being prosecuted and his colleagues testifying against him. I've gotten the impression that the SEALs being out of control is common knowledge among milgoons and their hero status is much more a civilian belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Some people are definitely not happy he's being prosecuted: https://navy-seals-fund.networkforgood.com/projects/60396-legal-defense-needs-for-navy-seal-fighting-for-justice

quote:

On Patriots Day, September 11th, 2018, Chief Eddie Gallagher, while undergoing TBI treatment was shackled like a common criminal and taken from in-patient care treatment facility at NICoE Pendleton