Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Ok I connected it and a green circle appeared on screen now what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

skooma512 posted:

What's the last Pokemon game to have the original 151 with new ones mixed in?

I'll probably get over it eventually but I was on the hype train with every other kid and got off once the show went to Johto.

It's been eight years since a game that had all of the original 150 obtainable in-game without having to trade from a different game, and that one was a remake. However, all but one since the DS came out have had most of them, and the one that didn't had as its main gimmick an entirely new pokedex with no returning pokemon available until after you had beaten the game.

If you were curious, there are currently 809 pokemon, but only 153 of them even have models in Let's Go.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

hopeandjoy posted:

Ever since the DS, the first games Game Freak have made for a new system have been very poorly optimized.

So what I'm saying is, this is on brand.

ORAS and USUM aren't what I'd call optimized either, tho.

But being more serious, this is their current engine with souped up lighting. Gen 8 will have a different look and feel, so it might end up looking and performing better.

Unless Gen 8 does just look like this completely with a slightly more complex overworld. Hahah...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

hopeandjoy posted:

Ever since the DS, the first games Game Freak have made for a new system have been very poorly optimized.

So what I'm saying is, this is on brand.

The gen VI games ran fine unless you got into a triple battle. Gen VII has slowdown in 1v1 fights unless the game is played on a New 3DS.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Star Man posted:

The gen VI games ran fine unless you got into a triple battle. Gen VII has slowdown in 1v1 fights unless the game is played on a New 3DS.

I mean, it's true that Gen VII is worse, but the Gen VI games lagged once the Pokemon got big and were throwing around bigger animations (ie mid to late game).

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

ORAS and USUM aren't what I'd call optimized either, tho.

But being more serious, this is their current engine with souped up lighting. Gen 8 will have a different look and feel, so it might end up looking and performing better.

Unless Gen 8 does just look like this completely with a slightly more complex overworld. Hahah...

I still prefer to think that Let’s Go is essentially a glorified tech demo that might provide something useful for next year’s actual games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

What's the last Pokemon game to have the original 151 with new ones mixed in?

I'll probably get over it eventually but I was on the hype train with every other kid and got off once the show went to Johto.

Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green on Gameboy Advance force only having the 151 for the main game (even if they evolve, leading to some evolutions triggered by a friendship value constantly being cancelled.) much like Let's Go is doing. Unique to FRLG is after the main game finishes you unlock a set of islands with Pokemon from Jhoto.

Pokemon X&Y on 3DS only added 69 new Pokemon, but the game hands you Charmander, Bulbasar, or Squirtle early on because they can "Mega Evolve." The rest of the Pokemon are a mix.

(Ultra) Sun and Moon on 3DS have a big deal about Pokemon out of the original 151 having "Alolan forms" where they have different typing so things like Vulpix will appear but with Ice type.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

I still prefer to think that Let’s Go is essentially a glorified tech demo that might provide something useful for next year’s actual games.

Yeah this is pretty much the "Pokemon Stars" demo everyone was talking about during rumor season. They got the engine on the Switch, Nintendo started pushing for a Holiday 2018 release, and so they made Kanto.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can tell you what Pokemon isn't 1337:

Primarina

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Does the let's go switch bundle come with a download code or does it come preloaded

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Does the let's go switch bundle come with a download code or does it come preloaded

Download code

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

Viridian Forest lag

Is this in handheld mode? I've got at least 6 hours in with no lag whatsoever on my end, in docked mode.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Is the switch bundle being sold in stores we went to a Walmart and GameStop and were told it was online only.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Crawfish posted:

Is this in handheld mode? I've got at least 6 hours in with no lag whatsoever on my end, in docked mode.
Yeah, they mention in a reply tweet that this is in handheld mode and they cherry-picked the worst drops. So this does not seem to be a common thing and will likely be a non-issue if you're playing on the TV with a Pokeball like God intended.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm here on the gamer page to announce that zippy zap and baddy bad are still funny

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Dude Zippy Zap is a good move.

Also you know that picture of Vermillion gym that's been floating around for ages where people thought that the red and blue bins were totally a simplification of that gyms puzzle, for casuals.

Yeah nah, it's not that. Those cans seem to be ones that definitely can't have switches.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Crawfish posted:

Dude Zippy Zap is a good move.

Also you know that picture of Vermillion gym that's been floating around for ages where people thought that the red and blue bins were totally a simplification of that gyms puzzle, for casuals.

Yeah nah, it's not that. Those cans seem to be ones that definitely can't have switches.

HA!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Isn’t the puzzle for that gym just looking in all the bins until you find the ones with switches? I’m not sure how you could simplify that much further.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ariong posted:

Isn’t the puzzle for that gym just looking in all the bins until you find the ones with switches? I’m not sure how you could simplify that much further.

people just complained about it because they're hilariously desperate for a way to feel superior to another human being in their awful lives

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ariong posted:

Some people seemed to think the Red and Blue were specifically the ones with the switches.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Crawfish posted:

Some people seemed to think the Red and Blue were specifically the ones with the switches.
Seriously? It would cease to be a puzzle then. People were really searching for reasons to dislike this game huh.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So what kind of online trading does this game have, a full GTS or just with online friends?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1063310834296938496

:wtc:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

:stonk: :stare:

Those are some impressive stats for a level 19.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I guess that answers my unasked questions about whether the stat candies in this game were tied to the EV system or capped somehow.

Honestly I'm fine with it. It reminds me of the old SNES days where you could use exploits or just farm item drops to get max stats. Let's Go was never meant to and was never going to be competitive so the easier and more broken it is the better. Saves me from having to grind levels to get those Master titles.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

This is game is straight up good.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Wait, you can’t use a pro controller?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kikas posted:

:stonk: :stare:

Those are some impressive stats for a level 19.

It looks like they capped that Drowsee's stats, the max you can get from Candy is 200.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like the game engine is the true Baddy Bad

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

You have given this thread something wonderful, and terrifying.

I salute you, sir.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Let's Go is making me realize that I haven't liked wild pokemon encounters for a while now and would not miss them one bit if they never came back.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The pokeball controller is something I never realised I always needed. I have been smiling the whole time and this game owns. I went to send some pokemon to oak to clear space in my box and realised I chained 20 kakunas trying to get a bulbasaur to spawn.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wild encounters were pretty cool in XY, because Kalos had 450 pokémon in its national dex and most pokémon showed up in two places, tops. The main reason they're a bother in the other games is because at least half of all encounters wound up being the generic national rodent/bird/cat/dog/bat/jellyfish/waterfowl.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
So uhhh, no way to trade via the internet unless you have a paid Nintendo Switch Online subscription?

I love my Wonder Trade and if they keep this up for the real games I'm going to be real loving :smith:

Dockworker
Feb 22, 2011

Just you wait, the union is gonna hear about this.

Amppelix posted:

Let's Go is making me realize that I haven't liked wild pokemon encounters for a while now and would not miss them one bit if they never came back.

Agreed. You typically just 1-2 hit KO enemies and move on. The Pokémon catching mini game is significantly more engaging.

With all of the type changes included and alola forms, gen 1 now has an extremely well balanced roster. Even the rarer types (steel, dark, ghost, fairy, dragon) have 2-3 families each, which just opens things up so much.

This feels significantly closer to a main series game than I thought it would, but I haven’t been farming candy. Apparently it’s not the same as EVs?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wild encounters were pretty cool in XY, because Kalos had 450 pokémon in its national dex and most pokémon showed up in two places, tops. The main reason they're a bother in the other games is because at least half of all encounters wound up being the generic national rodent/bird/cat/dog/bat/jellyfish/waterfowl.
Even if you were encountering new mons every other battle I still feel like they waste way, way too much time. You've got a slow battle intro, then you throw out your mon, then you can finally make a move which involves slow battle animations, etc. It's just boring when it happens so much.

The catching process is also rarely interesting. In the newer games as soon as you get access to quick balls it also basically becomes pokemon go, as in you can just toss those at anything you want and instantly get it no problem. The only battles where catching is interesting are legendaries, imo.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

So uhhh, no way to trade via the internet unless you have a paid Nintendo Switch Online subscription?

I love my Wonder Trade and if they keep this up for the real games I'm going to be real loving :smith:

it's :20bux:, if you can afford the overpriced Switch and overpriced games you can afford the sub

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It is definitely a big improvement.

edit: the removal of random battles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Amppelix posted:

The catching process is also rarely interesting. In the newer games as soon as you get access to quick balls it also basically becomes pokemon go, as in you can just toss those at anything you want and instantly get it no problem. The only battles where catching is interesting are legendaries, imo.

I usually just spray repels once I feel I've seen what a Route has to offer. I also categorically refuse to use Quick or Dusk balls even if they're objectively better than other balls, because they ugly. Anything I intend to use on my team gets a Luxury or Premier ball, or an apricorn ball if possible. Ultra, Dive and Timer balls are allowed, but not ideal.