Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I can see how that spell would gently caress up a whole campaign. The DM would need to be careful about what kind of furniture is in every single room. Looks like our level 8 game is just before the point where it becomes unfun for everyone except the wizard lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

Bad casters do and it's really annoying when on the first combat they unnecessarily blow all their slots, and then the group has to stop for a long rest else carry dead weight around.

Just yesterday I had a game where the Divine Soul Sorcerer was upcasting Healing Word and twinning 1dX Toll the Dead. Bless his heart he was still the better player out of the rest of the party, since he was healing to answer the constant cries of the "I am the tank, heal me, this combat is too hard, DM what is the XP for this combat, it's too hard, I started the fight at 38 HP and now I'm at 10, heal me, I'm the tank" 16 AC Barbarian that didn't Rage until the last two rounds of an 9 round extended battle he initiated, and a 12 HP Hexblade who spent 30 seconds every turn smugly describing how magical he was, how his anime sword changed colors, taunting enemies, and just generally finding excuses to use every single ability he had immediately before, during, and after the fight.
Point is, a low-level wizard that blows his load on the first fight in 5e is at minimum still rocking a 1d8 + (some kind of rider) cantrip that he can cast all day. Also Arcane Recovery, innate abilities etc.

Ignoring that, 1d8 all day + spike damage/cool effects when needed is better than 1d8 +5 all day. The "when needed" is obviously dependent on good play, but is we're allowing "What if they're built and played poorly?" as counterarguments then let me introduce you to "Fighter with 16 in Cha for roleplaying reasons who keeps try to bowfight with 8 dex".

Ignoring THAT, the other point is that if the Wizard DOES blow their load unnecessarily in the first fight then, as you said, the entire party takes the consequences so they're probably going to take a long rest anyway. The caster's ability to blow all their good spells in one fight isn't a weakness, it's narrative agency and control a non-caster can only dream of.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 16, 2018

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Amethyst posted:

I can see how that spell would gently caress up a whole campaign. The DM would need to be careful about what kind of furniture is in every single room. Looks like our level 8 game is just before the point where it becomes unfun for everyone except the wizard lol

psh like that will help

if your wizard has 10 copper coins then congrats they can theoretically do 4d10+40 damage every round as a bonus action

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I halved my druid's summon spells number of creatures, and let him choose the creatures. When they hit level 9 and I read the text of animate object, I told the bard that they can animate whatever they want but it's gonna have the stats of a single huge creature. It was a complete success! The bard chose a different spell.

Summon spells are really dumb in this game and I have no idea how anyone who has thought about it for a few minutes could think otherwise.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

anyone who has thought about it for a few minutes
Get that min maxing bullshit out of here

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Amethyst posted:

Pfft, you just carry a bunch of silver coins.

Most classes get a big powerspike somewhere between levels 9~12, it's just that for some it's a culmination building their characters towards a particular gimmick, while for others its suddenly having access to options that are good and just work completely independently of their actual character.

And if you're a Wizard with gold and time, in a setting where magic is sufficiently abundant or you've otherwise killed another highly level wizard or two, you get most if not all of those options.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

There's a dumb thing idiots say, which is that the Fighter is as good as the Wizard because while the Wizard can do more and better things than the Fighter, the Fighter can do their one thing all day!!!

https://twitter.com/ilovechrissia/status/1043013265519865861

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

lightrook posted:

Jeez, every time I think my expectations can't get lower, I get proven wrong. I can't for the life of me even understand why the literal highest authority on the game has to be so goddamn coy about his answers. Like, you "could" effect more than one ray, as if there's ever a time when you would choose not to?

Well, I guess it serves me right for expecting logic and reason in my codified game rules.

web dm had a q&a with crawford recently where he mentioned he has a theology background and i was like “ohhhhh yeah now it all makes sense”

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Had a very successful set of draws of the Deck of Many Things. The wizard (me) and the sorcerer are now level 16 instead of 14, several of us have magical swords, and I have acquired a knight who is now level 6 and I have adopted as my son, because I also drew a card that gave me a keep and I need someone to inherit it if I die. Our paladin got stuck in the void, but we got her back out again, so that's all well and good. Although we also got a Euryale and a Ruin, but hey, pretty good all things considered.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Splicer posted:

Rebuttals to the Rebuttal: Fighter attacks are better than Cantrips, and casting a Cantrip means you're not casting a spell.
Oh yeah :argh:, i agree. Normal fighter attacks are melee, most cantrips are ranged attacks and doesn't requires ammunition. The fighter equivalent of cantrips would be those throwning hammers that come back to the hand of the user. Hardly common.

Elysiume posted:

Had a very successful set of draws of the Deck of Many Things. The wizard (me) and the sorcerer are now level 16 instead of 14, several of us have magical swords, and I have acquired a knight who is now level 6 and I have adopted as my son, because I also drew a card that gave me a keep and I need someone to inherit it if I die. Our paladin got stuck in the void, but we got her back out again, so that's all well and good. Although we also got a Euryale and a Ruin, but hey, pretty good all things considered.
I always had the feeling that the Deck of Many Things shouldn't be a magic item used by the players but rather some kind of sentient antagonistic artifact, an incarnation of pure chaos and fate, loving people around, rewarding and punishing undeserving and deserving people alike, potentially using the characters to spread his chaos.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

escalator dropdown posted:

web dm had a q&a with crawford recently where he mentioned he has a theology background and i was like “ohhhhh yeah now it all makes sense”

... seriously?

I thought we were being over the top when this happened:

Giodo! posted:

Sometimes the way Jeremy Crawford tweets it seems like he is a canon or rabinical lawyer interpreting an ancient, contentious work. Like I expect him to say, "When you see the word 'object', you have to realize that in the original Aramaic the word was objectia meaning 'item that can be manipulated', therefore one must interpret that the true intent of the writer was blah blah blah..."

Rather than, you know, the guy who wrote the stuff a few years ago.

AlphaDog posted:

When Mearls or Crawford comes across as implying that they're interpreting an ancient older, contentious work, it's because that's exactly what 5th edition D&D is. There's a whole lot of text in the published books that's moderately re-worded from previous versions, and there's several paragraphs that are nearly word-for-word the same. Not even criticising here, that's what "new edition" usually means.

The game we got is the traditionalists' version. The authors coming across as interpreters of the one true original way to do it right is probably at least partially intentional.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Even if you animate 10 coins, won't only 8 be able to reasonably surround someone and attack without having to conga line and draw attacks of opportunity?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Toshimo posted:

Even if you animate 10 coins, won't only 8 be able to reasonably surround someone and attack without having to conga line and draw attacks of opportunity?

You can only give orders to one per round. They'll continue following them after that round, but it takes a bit to mobilize them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

kidkissinger posted:

You can only give orders to one per round. They'll continue following them after that round, but it takes a bit to mobilize them.

"As a Bonus Action, you can mentally Command any creature you made with this spell if the creature is within 500 feet of you (if you control multiple creatures, you can Command any or all of them at the same time, issuing the same Command to each one). You decide what action the creature will take and where it will move during its next turn, or you can issue a general Command, such as to guard a particular chamber or corridor. If you issue no commands, the creature only defends itself against hostile creatures. Once given an order, the creature continues to follow it until its task is complete."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Table on DMG 251 for the space creatures take up says you can have 4 tiny creatures in one 5x5' square, so they can stack up and still surround small/medium things.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Toshimo posted:

"As a Bonus Action, you can mentally Command any creature you made with this spell if the creature is within 500 feet of you (if you control multiple creatures, you can Command any or all of them at the same time, issuing the same Command to each one). You decide what action the creature will take and where it will move during its next turn, or you can issue a general Command, such as to guard a particular chamber or corridor. If you issue no commands, the creature only defends itself against hostile creatures. Once given an order, the creature continues to follow it until its task is complete."

I've been seriously misinterpreting that for my own character thanks!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Successful Businessmanga posted:

Table on DMG 251 for the space creatures take up says you can have 4 tiny creatures in one 5x5' square, so they can stack up and still surround small/medium things.

Yeah, they can do 3/3/4 or 4/4/2 stacks.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fwiw I'm in a 5E game that I think the DM is doing a decent-ish job of making weapon-using classes feel strong in combat:
  • We use all of the optional rules from the DMG like flanking/marking/climbing huge+ creatures/etc.. The flanking thing can be risky because enemies will use it, but it makes getting advantage for GWM a lot easier
  • Generous point buy means MAD classes like paladins, gish fighters/rogues, monks, and barbarians are better off
  • Lots of magic items. My level 11 fighter has a +2 greatsword, +1 battleaxe, giant slayer greataxe, dragon slayer greatsword, winged boots, +1 plate, and some other misc items. Lemme tell you carving through a giant stronghold with a GWM-powered giant slayer is big damage. Helps that the campaign has pitted us against lots of giants and has dragons as the main antagonists, so both of those x-slayer weapons are good pickups.
  • Also he lets me use my fighter homebrew maneuvers.
Helps the martials (in particular my fighter) feel very competent in combat. Of course there is still problematic battle magic (forcecage is one of the worst imo, no save and nearly impossible to defend against), and out of combat a fighter still has basically nothing. But I still have to remind the cleric when he acts surprised at the amount of damage that I put out that my fighter cannot raise the dead, shift us to another plane, banish outsiders, or heal ability score reductions. There's definitely a perception out there that a fighter putting out "big numbers" is somehow on the edge of breaking the system.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Magil Zeal posted:

There's definitely a perception out there that a fighter putting out "big numbers" is somehow on the edge of breaking the system.

This is just reminding me of people during 3.x who thought sneak attack was super powerful because you get to roll SO MANY DICE! (and then never actually run the numbers on what those dice are actually gonna give you).

Alternately, it reminds me of how many people constantly throw themselves into DPS classes in MMOs and are absolute garbage at them because they're blinded by big numbers.

What I'm saying is, human beings are really loving bad with numbers and their context, and nerds are, perhaps hilariously, often especially bad with numbers and their context.

( Also how it's bullshit that "Fighters don't have to be good at anything else because they're the best at fighting!" when people still get upset when they even so much as perceive that fighters might actually be the best at fighting )

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The funny thing is, Paladins are the best at melee fighting.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
They released the errata apparently.

Not sure any of that's really gonna make Beast Master a good thing to play.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Looking through the errata...
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/errata-november-2018

-Paladin smites buffed to 6d8 maximum from 5d8 and their Find Steed is now 2-way communication.
-A monk buff: Grappling and shoving now auto-succeed if the target is incapacitated.
-Spear now works with Polearm Master. Doesn't really matter unless you dream of playing a Spartan.
-Contagion poisons the target right away now, then they still get the 3 saves to possibly get a disease.
-Disintegrate nerfed slightly, now it only obliterates the target if they end at 0HP, not get reduced to. That used to be a problem if you were polymorphed or wild shaped into a low-HP critter.
-Sanctuary + Spirit Guardians combo nerfed. Damage now ends the sanc.
-Being raised from death now lowers exhaustion by 1. Because at max exhaustion you would just die again. Instantly.
-Bears buffed. Druid supremacy?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

The paladin smites is only 6d8 if you're attacking a fiend or undead. I guess to clear up any confusion on whether burning 4th level spell slot was wasted on a fiend or undead. "The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend, to a maximum of 6d8."

The very specific wording for Disintegrate makes it The Counter to a Zealot Barbarian, it ignores their Level 14 class feature. I think damage always ended sanctuary. They nerfed Four Elements Monks, like a dead horse needed further beating.

Most of it is just old stuff compiled.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 17, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Did they seriously nerf Four Elements Monk

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

No.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Buffed:
  • BM Ranger
  • Polearm Master (Spear)
  • Dungeon Delver
  • Find Steed
  • Grapple/Shove (vs. Incapacitated)
  • Bears
  • Horses

Nerfed:
  • Contagion
  • Darts (Strength)
  • Disintegrate
  • Sanctuary
  • Simulacrum

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They nerfed them a long time ago this is just the first time it's been in an errata.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toshimo posted:

Buffed:
  • BM Ranger
  • Polearm Master (Spear)
  • Dungeon Delver
  • Find Steed
  • Grapple/Shove (vs. Incapacitated)
  • Bears
  • Horses

Nerfed:
  • Contagion
  • Darts (Strength)
  • Disintegrate
  • Sanctuary
  • Simulacrum

Bear buff is hilarious. I understand why you put contagion under nerfed but this change finally makes it useful as a player spell so that’s an upgrade to me.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Kaysette posted:

Bear buff is hilarious. I understand why you put contagion under nerfed but this change finally makes it useful as a player spell so that’s an upgrade to me.

Yeah, poisoned for 3 turns as long as you hit is huge tbh. If it's something with legendaries it's real good at burning through those as well. Seems really good to me?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kaysette posted:

I understand why you put contagion under nerfed but this change finally makes it useful as a player spell so that’s an upgrade to me.

Contagion would have won awards in Poor Wording.

RAW, the disease effect was immediate. RAI (Sage Advice), the spell did nothing until 3 failed saves.

RAW, the spell was 10/10 broken. RAI, the spell was 0/10 useless.

Contagion 2.0 is weak, but narrowly usable. You can file it away with the other half of spells that seem like they'd be great if you didn't have limited spell prep slots.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

What I'm saying is, human beings are really loving bad with numbers and their context, and nerds are, perhaps hilariously, often especially bad with numbers and their context.

I tend to agree; I remember getting on the Reddit DnD Discord briefly and got into an argument with people who thought the UA Tunnel Fighting style was incredibly overpowered because, in theory, it let a fighter make infinite attacks in one round. Never mind the practicality of it, nor the fact that it eats your bonus action for a chance to get multiple attacks. As I put it, you need to get three opportunity attacks before that bonus action becomes better than the one you get from GWM or PM. They didn't bite, still thought it was incredibly overpowered.

Kaysette posted:

Bear buff is hilarious.

The new values do match their ability mod + proficiency bonus, but they seemed to always play fast and loose with those on monsters anyway from my looking through the monster manual. At first I thought this was a simple correction but looking deeper into the MM it seems to me they don't really care about ability mod + prof bonus. Nice bonus for those who can keep their horses alive for mounted combat too.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Magil Zeal posted:

I tend to agree; I remember getting on the Reddit DnD Discord briefly and got into an argument with people who thought the UA Tunnel Fighting style was incredibly overpowered because, in theory, it let a fighter make infinite attacks in one round. Never mind the practicality of it, nor the fact that it eats your bonus action for a chance to get multiple attacks. As I put it, you need to get three opportunity attacks before that bonus action becomes better than the one you get from GWM or PM. They didn't bite, still thought it was incredibly overpowered.

It's overpowered, but what you need for it is the full Tunnel Fighter + PAM + Sentinel combo, with Precision to guarantee the hits. It gives you a wide zone of control where you stop enemies in their tracks, and that can't hit you back if they lack reach or ranged attacks, and on your next turn you can attack then step back 5ft and do it all again.

As a pure offense contribution it's mediocre at best.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's overpowered, but what you need for it is the full Tunnel Fighter + PAM + Sentinel combo, with Precision to guarantee the hits. It gives you a wide zone of control where you stop enemies in their tracks, and that can't hit you back if they lack reach or ranged attacks, and on your next turn you can attack then step back 5ft and do it all again.

As a pure offense contribution it's mediocre at best.

Even then, you're use your bonus action every turn, you need to actually hit to stop them, only works against melee without reach, etc.. It wouldn't be what I call "overpowered", given how incredibly narrow that circumstance is.

You can lock down one foe that way anyway even without Tunnel Fighter, all the fighting stance does is extend it to multiple targets. Which again narrows the scope.

Edit: I'd like to point out that inherent flight is a much easier way to gently caress melee fighters forever and can be "easier" to get depending on what you define as "easier" when compared to two feats + a fighting style.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 17, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The thing to remember is that, for a lot of people, the more complicated something sounds, the more potent it's assumed to be. It's why so many dumb grogs thought massive multiclassing was overpowered in 3e and would list absurd builds with ten different classes as things they had to ban - when anyone who actually thought about how that would play for more then two seconds would realize how witheringly weak it'd be.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
For too long a time, I thought (3.5) monks were overpowered (2d10 FOR DAMAAGE), sorcerers were the clear winner in spellcasting (I can cast SO MANY FIREBALLS), and that power attack didn't make sense (Why would I just choose to miss more often???).

It's an easy trap to fall into. Some time after I actually started figuring out the math, I got into a 3.5 game; I was playing a crusader, two handing a reach weapon and blasting through with power attack, and another person was playing a rogue/fighter/swashbuckler.

gently caress I loved the tome of battle. It was the nice realm for me between "Power recycling means I can do fun things" and "the things I can do are somewhat meaningful". I mean, not compared to spellcasters ending a battle, but if they decided to engage the game like mortals, it was a hoot and a half.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

gently caress I loved the tome of battle. It was the nice realm for me between "Power recycling means I can do fun things" and "the things I can do are somewhat meaningful". I mean, not compared to spellcasters ending a battle, but if they decided to engage the game like mortals, it was a hoot and a half.

It's mentioned so often here I wish I'd played 3e / 3.5e and experienced it, it would have really informed the way I structured the Universal Martial Maneuvers homebrew. I'm reading it for inspiration but I know it isn't the same as having run characters with it. In a way I'm happier with having come up with a simpler system that bolts onto 5e but I know it lacks the depth of ToB.

I looked up ToB 5e conversions out there and found four (only one for $10 on DMs Guild), I don't know if anyone here has checked them out or has thoughts on how well a conversion could work with 5e?

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LFgmEkbQvvZyJwiMFPj

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryejTJ2Ox

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3J5qdNzFt-LZHo3RUpabE9GT3M/view

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/198305/Tome-of-Battle-Book-of-Nine-Swords

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
That first link using Manœuvre is throwing me off

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

errata posted:

Eternal Mountain Defense (p. 81). “11th
Level Required” has been changed to “17th
Level Required.”
Water Whip (p. 81). “A bonus action” has
been changed to “an action.”

How are these errata?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nickoten posted:

How are these errata?

Because they are obvious mistakes when compared to the other features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Magil Zeal posted:

Even then, you're use your bonus action every turn, you need to actually hit to stop them, only works against melee without reach, etc.. It wouldn't be what I call "overpowered", given how incredibly narrow that circumstance is.

You can lock down one foe that way anyway even without Tunnel Fighter, all the fighting stance does is extend it to multiple targets. Which again narrows the scope.

Edit: I'd like to point out that inherent flight is a much easier way to gently caress melee fighters forever and can be "easier" to get depending on what you define as "easier" when compared to two feats + a fighting style.

2D combat against multiple predominantly melee opponents is the single most common type of combat challenge, and Polearm Master + Sentinel is already a highly effective offensive combo on their own - Tunnel Fighter is strong because it improves it further. It also supports allies through area control, whereas flight can give you personal safety but does nothing for the rest of the party.

I'm not saying it's the end-all, but it's a way to improve an already very effective playstyle that is inherently available to weapon users.