Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

why dutch windows installation has some english

whyy is shrek piss? #italiano

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Lambert posted:

Glad you enjoy working at Oracle!

lol the only thing that just works at Oracle is their legal department.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

orange sky posted:

It's just so refreshing working in a company where the product just.. works. And is good as hell too. Good change.

same, op

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

obese dallas multipage

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/mehedih_/status/1063475635580997632

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI1ominSL_c

mystes
May 31, 2006

Didn't this happen like 6 months ago? Or was it just on insider builds or for only some users or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

they straight up announced they were doing this for free email accounts a few months ago

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

Didn't this happen like 6 months ago? Or was it just on insider builds or for only some users or something?

it did

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

they straight up announced they were doing this for free email accounts a few months ago

this is for everyone no matter what mail provider you're using

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

i thought they meant free hotmail or whatever outlook email. instead its if you dont have an o365 sub at all, even if youre using gmail or whatever, you get ads.

which is really dumb.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk, the tweet is showing a hotmail account, afaik it doesn't do that for paid services like o365 or premium hotmail. no idea about other providers that aren't microsoft

if they changed it to shove in ads for everything, that's bullshit

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
free as in "wear this billboard on your face" software

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

idk, the tweet is showing a hotmail account, afaik it doesn't do that for paid services like o365 or premium hotmail. no idea about other providers that aren't microsoft

if they changed it to shove in ads for everything, that's bullshit

The ads will apparently appear for all users — even if you don’t use a Microsoft email service like Outlook and only have Gmail, Yahoo, G Suite, or other third-party accounts, you will still see the ads until you purchase an Office 365 subscription. And that, of course, is quite ridiculous. “The ads at the top of the message list come from Microsoft. You’ll see them whether you are using a Microsoft email account, like Outlook.com, or an account from another email service provider, like Google,” the app says, asking users to purchase Office 365 to get an ad-free experience.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

The ads will apparently appear for all users — even if you don’t use a Microsoft email service like Outlook and only have Gmail, Yahoo, G Suite, or other third-party accounts, you will still see the ads until you purchase an Office 365 subscription. And that, of course, is quite ridiculous. “The ads at the top of the message list come from Microsoft. You’ll see them whether you are using a Microsoft email account, like Outlook.com, or an account from another email service provider, like Google,” the app says, asking users to purchase Office 365 to get an ad-free experience.
They're basically testing to see if they can charge to remove ads from programs like on smartphones, but with email it's similar to what email providers like google are already doing on their web interfaces so people are more likely to accept it.

If people tolerate it there will probably be a lot more attempts to work ads into other programs that are built into windows.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 16, 2018

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol if you use this pos os

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:pram:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if everyone who uses windows started car pooling, that would be great. then it would just take one fatal car accident and we’d never have to hear from those worms again.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

did they cancel xbox and go full Onlive, that’s what i heard

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sony will not be at E3 because I guess Microsoft is out of the business as we know it. All new AAA games announced will be for Playstation so there’s no point in having a separate keynote.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

to paraphrase this article: https://kotaku.com/a-young-mans-ego-doomed-a-much-hyped-jurassic-park-game-1830452541

"I thought I was a capable person, but I wasn't. For this reason, I joined Microsoft. The Xbox was a result of my submission to mediocrity."

It's the guy who made Trespasser. old goons will remember a classic Let's Play by Research Indicates documented Trespasser pretty well. it's one of my favourite games because it had so many technical achievements that made so many later games possible. I think it could even have been enjoyable to play if it wasn't for deadlines and all that.

just sad to see the guy completely give up on himself, and sadder how it links it all with Xbox.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

When I get mad at windows (often) I rant about how no person could ever possibly be proud of this pile of trash.

god it must suck working there

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cool, but I kinda hate reading this thread because it's all first person. I want to mock from a safe distance. I don't want to rub shoulders with the moaning diseased. that makes it less funny.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I always found Trespasser an incredibly compelling game despite being obviously completely broken

https://www.doomworld.com/linguica/tres2.avi through 22 are dated from Aug 2004 and were from me loving around with the game because it was fun to see all the weird half-functional stuff

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PleasureKevin posted:

cool, but I kinda hate reading this thread because it's all first person. I want to mock from a safe distance. I don't want to rub shoulders with the moaning diseased. that makes it less funny.

hi kevin i hope youre well

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mystes posted:

If people tolerate it there will probably be a lot more attempts to work ads into other programs that are built into windows.

Like windows explorer and solitaire?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

you walk into the pos. a thread is there. what do you do next?
>get out

you have left the pos. a feeling of contentment overwhelms you. you cannot return. game over.
final score: 12 out of 140 points.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

James Baud posted:

Like windows explorer and solitaire?

ideally calculator as well

orange sky
May 7, 2007

*opens calculator*

*Mission Impossible: 8 trailer starts*
You can skip this ad in 8, 7, 6...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

https://twitter.com/fxshaw/status/1063518403036557312

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

you walk into the pos. a thread is there. what do you do next?
>get out

cannot get out. here forever.
>

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

when the ads are done loading but you're still group policy'n

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I hate when I accidentally turn on an experimental feature that was never intended to be tested broadly and also put up a support page explaining how it works and take payment to disable the feature

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

the pilot program was being conducted in Brazil, Canada, Australia, and India

:thunk:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I hate when I accidentally turn on an experimental feature that was never intended to be tested broadly and also put up a support page explaining how it works and take payment to disable the feature

I’m torn between these two explanations:
1. it was enabled to gauge customer reaction, and their response is an obvious lie to walk it back
2. it was a feature that is designed to be turned on at a later time to avoid the blowback during the update cycle. the general population was really not supposed to know about it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

I’m torn between these two explanations:
1. it was enabled to gauge customer reaction, and their response is an obvious lie to walk it back
2. it was a feature that is designed to be turned on at a later time to avoid the blowback during the update cycle. the general population was really not supposed to know about it.

3. the people who can push a thing like this into the preview stream are different from, and don't talk enough to, the people who make the final decision on whether it should go in the final product

i like this one since it is a very microsoft-like sort of problem

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I believe him, it's not like Microsoft to test features broadly before releasing them

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

seems like azure's 2fa is down this morning, at least in the uk. gonna be a fun day at work today unless they fix this poo poo quickly

thanks microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
same in Australia

thanks Michaelsoft