Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just want more new Fallout action so I'll probably buy this later on.

I am sure it will be FTP by New Years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Don’t 👏 encourage 👏 games 👏 as 👏 services 👏

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
the new 40k turn based game is sick loving nasty

it's a bit slow compared to say, xcom, but it doesn't have the %hit bullshit either

insane customization too

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Vasudus posted:

the new 40k turn based game is sick loving nasty

it's a bit slow compared to say, xcom, but it doesn't have the %hit bullshit either

insane customization too

I am intrigued, go on

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
There are so many freakin Warhammer games anymore

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

And so many of them suck. :(

It's tragic cause I love the setting. The first Dawn of War is what pulled me in. By contrast, DOW3 felt so inexplicably bad that I uninstalled in disgust after 2 hours of gameplay.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The Armada games look like they could be neat but I haven't gotten around to trying them :(

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

The Rat posted:

I am intrigued, go on

right so you get a whole techpriest ship on a necron tomb world

you get a few 'hero units' which are techpriests that you can customize to the gills - ranged/melee/support/healer/mix of whatever, custom weapons/support gear/mechanical arm things

then you get a bunch of deployable fodder like servitors and robot mans, you can customize them a little but they're not like techpriests

you pick missions on the necron tomb world to explore, with a series of rooms that present roguelike options (examine/destroy/evade, and so on) that have different rewards and fail chances and so on

if you have an actual combat encounter, it's like a small xcom-like tileset with your techpriests and anything you have the points to deploy

you fight kinda like xcom meets divinity original sin (no hit%, it's binary in range/out of range) as you gain and spend cognition points to do various things like call in more deployable fodder, use abilities, or power up your guns

as you progress in the mission you have choices that make the tomb harder, but give better rewards

the story and all the dialogue was written by some 40k author dude, the sound effects and music are fantastic, the graphics are pretty ok but nothing spectacular

it's 30 dollars

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Was it written by Dan Abnett? Because I like what he writes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ben Counter?

I don't read any of the 40k books so I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

What if Steel Panthers, but real-time instead of turn-based?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk9vDMgkJCY

The 1965-1985 time range just made this one go to the front of the line for me.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
No campaign no multiplayer, but looks really moddable. Pretty much just a battle generator so very much a "make your own fun" kinda game it seems like to me.

Used to be free and without the campaign or mp IDK why they decided to charge $40 other than typical grog devs. Maybe I'll get it if it ever gets on steam and on sale

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 16, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Here check this thread for grog gaming it's pretty decent if you like these kind of games
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543909&pagenumber=550&perpage=40

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hells yeah my kid and I are gonna have some fun

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
oh yeah and all the techpriests VA is done in that mechanical speak or whatever that they're supposed to have and it sounds awesome

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vasudus posted:

oh yeah and all the techpriests VA is done in that mechanical speak or whatever that they're supposed to have and it sounds awesome

so it sounds like two computers loving

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Viva Miriya posted:

so it sounds like two computers loving

kind of? i don't know much about design but it sounds really cool and seems like they put in a lot of effort to make the voices all work

there's subtitles always on and textboxes so it seems to be a really clever way to avoid VA fees while retaining the ability to change the text without needing a re-recording

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Vasudus posted:

kind of? i don't know much about design but it sounds really cool and seems like they put in a lot of effort to make the voices all work

there's subtitles always on and textboxes so it seems to be a really clever way to avoid VA fees while retaining the ability to change the text without needing a re-recording

Whats this poo poo called, there are a billion 40k games now and I don't want to choose poorly.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Carteret posted:

Whats this poo poo called, there are a billion 40k games now and I don't want to choose poorly.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/673880/

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIMZ0WyY88

it's good, especially because there's no goddamn SPECE MAHRINES

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Having a lot of fun with BF5 on PS4.

Strangely things I hate doing in the Army (digging trenches, filling and stacking sandbags) is actually pretty fun in BF5. During one of the Operations maps I was defending one of the artillery pieces and for the whole battle over this objective all I did was go around constantly rebuilding all the fortifications as they got destroyed. I don't know what if any impact that had but they never destroyed that objective despite it being the center of the fiercest fighting for pretty much the entire match.

Depending on the map and where you are you can build sandbags, dig trenches, build wire obstacles, anti-tank obstacles, machine gun nests, etc.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

Having a lot of fun with BF5 on PS4.

Strangely things I hate doing in the Army (digging trenches, filling and stacking sandbags) is actually pretty fun in BF5. During one of the Operations maps I was defending one of the artillery pieces and for the whole battle over this objective all I did was go around constantly rebuilding all the fortifications as they got destroyed. I don't know what if any impact that had but they never destroyed that objective despite it being the center of the fiercest fighting for pretty much the entire match.

Depending on the map and where you are you can build sandbags, dig trenches, build wire obstacles, anti-tank obstacles, machine gun nests, etc.

getting ready for ww3 eh major

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Madurai posted:

What if Steel Panthers, but real-time instead of turn-based?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk9vDMgkJCY

The 1965-1985 time range just made this one go to the front of the line for me.

Ahhh, Steel Panthers, there's some memories....

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The Rat posted:

And so many of them suck. :(

It's tragic cause I love the setting. The first Dawn of War is what pulled me in. By contrast, DOW3 felt so inexplicably bad that I uninstalled in disgust after 2 hours of gameplay.

The first DoW game was insanely fun, I played the poo poo out of that. Haven't touched a 40k game since then, but Mechanicum has me intrigued.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Any of y'all play Combat Mission? They're groggy and expensive but I'm playing my first PBEM game, against a goon, and it's fun as gently caress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mods changed my name posted:

Any of y'all play Combat Mission? They're groggy and expensive but I'm playing my first PBEM game, against a goon, and it's fun as gently caress.

I did, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I need to get back into it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I played the original Combat Mission Beyond Overlord and Barbarossa and Afrika Korps. When they moved into the modern stuff and started charging money for game patches I stopped playing their stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I played the original Combat Mission Beyond Overlord and Barbarossa and Afrika Korps. When they moved into the modern stuff and started charging money for game patches I stopped playing their stuff.

:stare: They charge for patches now? Well, so much for that.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
that's a very slight bit exaggerated, they do engine updates and resell the whole game lol

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
but yeah they're kinda lovely and stuck in the 90s. more war game companies are figuring poo poo out like reasonable pricing and steam but who knows if battlefront ever will.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

that's a very slight bit exaggerated, they do engine updates and resell the whole game lol

You could choose not to pay for the patch but then you would never find another multiplayer match. So in practice, you paid for continued multiplayer support.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
oh I'm not saying you're wrong, sorry. I'm just saying they don't even release what normal people would call a patch. they call a patch a new game instead, lol.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm almost done with this 40k game, it was a pretty good use of 30 bucks.

Balance needs a bit of work I think, the curve is kinda hosed in some spots. You start with two techpriests and some insanely disposable/borderline useless servitors. Techpriests are like your dudes in XCOM but it doesn't follow the same rules as XCOM at all, namely that you can do anything in any order - so you can shoot, move, shoot a different weapon (they all have cooldowns), use an ability, move again, use three more abilities, then move. Provided you have a good supply of cognition points (AP) this can get kinda crazy. I'm up to four techpriests right now (max is six) and I kinda dunked really hard on the Necrons most matches, until I unlocked the last two sectors and things got challenging again.

I might actually play it again once I beat it, since now I know how the mechanics work and I can probably break the game over my knee starting from scratch.

The atmosphere is A+++ though, and it's refreshing to have a completely different aspect of 40k to explore for once.

edit: there's also this neat encounter that happens very frequently where you have a bunch of Necron glyphs with absolutely no description, and you have to pick from 1-4 of them. Is it good? is it bad? does it do nothing? Well, I had to write them down on a piece of paper to keep track and I haven't had to do that for games for years and years. I miss it.

edit2: ok, I beat the last boss without him doing a single move after he awoke. I lined up the mother of all alpha strikes to do it and got a lucky crit, ended up doing like 65 damage with almost half that ignoring armor entirely. For comparison's sake, most things have 10-15 health and my max level techpriests have 18-20. No NG+ so I guess I'll just start another game.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 19, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The first patch for fallout 76 is gonna be 47 gb

lmao good job Bethesda

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

lmao good job Bethesda

Mountain momma that is big

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/673880/

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIMZ0WyY88

it's good, especially because there's no goddamn SPECE MAHRINES

There needs to be a Dungeon Keeper version of this where you play as the Necrons.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
FO76 has a 43 Metacritic score. It's dead.

Based on everything I've ever seen about publishers, investors, and IP marketing getting a score that low is not only enough to kill the game, it's enough to kill the franchise or possibly even the publisher. Bethesda won't go under because they're still printing money with Skyrim + FO4 poo poo and their roles as publisher for other games, but that's a shockingly bad score that is akin to breaking the glass and hitting the emergency stop button on the factory floor. Heads are absolutely going to roll for this, because there's a high probability investors won't get their promised returns by a large margin.

My prediction is that they'll quietly roll back FO76 as being "the next Fallout" and have it more as a side story, like the Botherhood of Steel games in the 00's or even New Vegas (though obviously, FONV was fantastic but it's still not in the main Fallout canon) and then announce "Fallout 5" in a year or so.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I think FO: Tactics Brotherhood of Steel is an underappreciated game. I understand why coming after FO1 and 2 wasn't liked by players but I still enjoyed it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I played the PC version that had R. Lee. Ermy in it and it was good. Apparently the OG Xbox one is absolutely horrible, but I never played it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Slim Pickens posted:

lmao good job Bethesda

You mean second patch right? The first one was larger than the orig download iirc.