Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ammanas posted:

around 3pm in downtown sac the visibility was probably 600 feet. i couldnt see buildings two blocks away. this is really something else, i hope itll lead to some meaningful changes (but know it won't)

the inside of my building was smokey, im considering skipping work this weekend if it doesn't improve

dems control all of CA government, now is the time to make some drastic and meaningful changes to improve our lives. if it costs billions so be it. we cant sit on our hands any longer.

too bad we have Gavin to lead us

Sorry man states budget is allocated to governor cloning technology and Bay delta tunnels. I mean a little orange cloud never hurt nobody right anyone who says it does is from humboldt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

gently caress yes Cisneros the dem is winning my district. Take that Young Kim.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tired: Voter intimidation

Wired: Vote counter intimidation

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Classy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Terrible choice of source, but this is a nice graphic

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/1063403776063741953

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I heard a lot of schools in the Bay Area closed due to the terrible air quality. Makes sense, though it kind of sucks for the parents that have to scramble for alternative child care.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kobayashi posted:

Now imagine you’re homeless

We gave out 20 cases in the past few days at nondescript Sacramento homeless services provider

It still wasn't enough for everyone

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
just for a blast from the past, and now that cisneros is p much the winner, here's some investigative journalism from david dayen two days before the june primaries in CA-39:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797748766797824
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797749534343168
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797750910078976
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797753707687937
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797754814926848
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797755704139777

all this shady poo poo and a million bucks pissed away for nothing :laffo:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 16, 2018

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pomp posted:

We gave out 20 cases in the past few days at nondescript Sacramento homeless services provider

It still wasn't enough for everyone

I do veterinary services for homeless pets in Sacramento, and I'm worried about the cats with asthma/bronchitis and what we're going to be needing to deal with over the next few months/years. :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

just for a blast from the past, and now that cisneros is p much the winner, here's some investigative journalism from david dayen two days before the june primaries in CA-39:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797748766797824
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797749534343168
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797750910078976
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797753707687937
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797754814926848
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1003797755704139777

all this shady poo poo and a million bucks pissed away for nothing :laffo:

There was an attempt

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There was an attempt
God twitter "journalism" is so hard to read without some background. All I got out of it was some right wing fuckface spent a $1m running as a democrat (in an attempt to crack the democratic vote?) and failed (to get two republicans on the november ballot?)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

CopperHound posted:

God twitter "journalism" is so hard to read without some background. All I got out of it was some right wing fuckface spent a $1m running as a democrat (in an attempt to crack the democratic vote?) and failed (to get two republicans on the november ballot?)

that's p much all we need to know in this case. and now the seat he ran for flipped, so lol

sorry about the post, but the thread unfurler wasn't working because this tweet thread was 5 months old

v yeah that was a huge worry back in spring, that the dems would gently caress themselves out of a house majority by splitting the vote in the jungle primary in all the competitive CA districts and letting two republicans slip through

that only ended up happening in CA-08 but that's chud desert country anyway

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 16, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CopperHound posted:

This was one of the districts where there were so many dems on the primary ballot they were afraid they would cancel each other out and 2 republicans would end up on the November ballot. This was a ploy to make that more likely

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HelloSailorSign posted:

I do veterinary services for homeless pets in Sacramento, and I'm worried about the cats with asthma/bronchitis and what we're going to be needing to deal with over the next few months/years. :(

Check your pms I have work questions

Pomp fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 16, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My kids in Roseville have school off today and all of my daughter's soccer games this weekend have been canceled. Good. Too bad I'm stuck at work.

I don't follow this thread normally, but I'm surprised at the Gavin-bashing in the past few pages. As a gun-owner in California, I already don't like the guy and his Patrick Bateman smile, but is it a collective feeling that he sucks, despite basically winning in a landslide? Did he just spend the most in the primaries compared to the other Democratic candidates or something?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Gavin’s spent the past eight years preparing for this run

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My kids in Roseville have school off today and all of my daughter's soccer games this weekend have been canceled. Good. Too bad I'm stuck at work.

I don't follow this thread normally, but I'm surprised at the Gavin-bashing in the past few pages. As a gun-owner in California, I already don't like the guy and his Patrick Bateman smile, but is it a collective feeling that he sucks, despite basically winning in a landslide? Did he just spend the most in the primaries compared to the other Democratic candidates or something?

Nobody trusts Newsom because he's got all the charisma and warmth of an automatic door.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pomp posted:

Check your pms I have work questions

~goon connections~

Gavin is the stereotypical politician of saying whatever will get him elected who sometimes follows through in order to say he did a thing, but he's not going to put himself out there for something that's right, only for what is popular.

With his fair following in SF, building a similarly sized group would be tough and yeah, he's been preparing for this for years so he's got a lot of people on his side.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

there's a reason a lot of folks here shitpost about gavin being an android

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, he's just the best we're going to get. I doubt anyone else in the thread gives a gently caress about him being anti-gun. We're far more concerned with him being anti-single-payer healthcare. There's also a general consensus that he's a born-in-a-vat politician for whom sincerity is something that happens to other people. He reeks of ambition and self-interest, and yes, he has accomplished it in a largely beneficial way to the rest of the state, but it doesn't feel like he's beholden to us in any way other than worrying about his image for future runs. Jerry Brown had interests, in the environment and sustainability and opposing the death penalty. He had values and beliefs, for better or worse. Newsom just feels like he's capitalizing off the interests and values of the voters.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The Wave: Reaction time is a factor in this, so please pay attention. Now, answer as quickly as you can.
It’s your birthday. Someone gives you a calfskin wallet. How do you react?

Gavin Newsom: I don’t have anything to put in it. I would thank them and move on.

TW: You’ve got a little boy. He shows you his butterfly collection plus the killing jar. What do you do?

GN: I would tell him to… You know what? I wouldn’t know how to respond. How’s that for an answer? Is this a psychological test? I’m worried…

TW: They’re just questions, Gavin. In answer to your query, they’re written down for me. It’s a test, designed to provoke an emotional response.

GN: Oh, I got you.

TW: Shall we continue?

GN: Sure.

TW: You’re watching television. Suddenly you realize there’s a wasp crawling on your arm. How would you react?

GN: I would quietly sit and wait for the wasp to move to the next victim.

TW: You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, Gavin, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back, Gavin. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that, Gavin?

GN: [Immediately] Not a chance. I would never flip the tortoise over in the first place.

TW: Describe in single words, only the good things that come into your mind. About your mother.

GN: Ethics. Commitment. Sacrifice.

CONCLUSION: Almost too close to call. Almost. Newsom displays a defensiveness when his empathy is questioned. He’s aware that he’s being probed for emotional responses, and even expresses concern about this. However, this concern is alleviated a little too easily by our crafty V-K interviewer. Newsom is definitely a replicant. Probably a Nexus 5.

(https://web.archive.org/web/20060506211308/http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.php?pagename=article&articleid=24031)

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I think Gavin Newsome is fine actually? I mean this thread, myself included is pretty far to the left of CA electorate, so we obviously have problems with him, but honestly, he’s...fine? I don’t really care what’s in his heart of hearts, I care about what policies he excites, and the ones he’s proposed are good for the most part. We’ll see I guess.

I do think left skepticism of him is good though, because it keeps up pressure on him.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, thanks! It makes a lot more sense now.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

newsom sucks

feinstein sucks

harris sucks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gavin Newsom has very very close ties with the generally sort of leftish billionaire Getty family. Because my wife used to work for a company associated with that family, she had some somewhat insider view into things. The impression she got is similar to what's been posted in the thread. He's groomed. Handpicked from early adulthood to pursue a political career, with powerful and connected interests advising and backing him from day 1. His father, a (now retired) judge, was already connected to the Gettys so probably Gavin was involved with them from birth, actually.

He is in fact a real human being, but it's impossible to separate the persona he and this team have constructed from whatever might be going on inside. He is clean, handsome, smiles exactly the right amount, always collected and well-rehearsed.

I don't think he's somehow a monster inside or anything, and while the Gettys are billionaires, they do sit on the left politically for the most part, they funnel large chunks of their money into charity via their foundation, and I don't think they or Newsom are likely to destroy California or whatever. But whatever progressive stances he takes will always be very carefully calculated risks. When he was mayor of San Francisco and decided to defy the law and start marrying gay people, that was superficially a defiant and risky act... but it was San Francisco, and his actions put his name into national news, and he was getting ahead of a fairly predictable national shift in opinion about gay marriage. I think that incident serves as a good example of what we can expect from Newsom as governor and beyond.

If it gets us results then I don't really mind, but I don't think he's ever going to actually inspire people. I'm not sure if I care.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We Americans want Cincinnatuses as our leaders, begrudgingly willing to take up the mantle of power for the good of the country and treat their offices with awe and scrupulousness. Gavin really, really wants to be in power and that rubs us the wrong way.

Plus he’s a bland establishment centrist. Best case scenario is that he at least tries to cut through all the red tape blocking housing development.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also he's going to punt anything that might actually take a lot of effort, be even temporarily unpopular, or potentially fail. Since UHC falls into all three of those categories, it's dead as a door nail under Newsom. He's only interested in adding more easy feathers to his cap for a future POTUS campaign.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean, let’s at least see what the guy does in office before we scorn him as the Cali-Coumo or whatever.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

themrguy posted:

I think Gavin Newsome is fine actually? I mean this thread, myself included is pretty far to the left of CA electorate, so we obviously have problems with him, but honestly, he’s...fine? I don’t really care what’s in his heart of hearts, I care about what policies he excites, and the ones he’s proposed are good for the most part. We’ll see I guess.

I do think left skepticism of him is good though, because it keeps up pressure on him.

If you have heard him give a speech or seen him in real life you will feel a revulsion in your gut normally reserved for used car salesmen

He's a slimy gently caress of a person you can feel it in your bones. This is not fully rational but Jesus Christ the dude is obviously some kind of snake.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sydin posted:

Also he's going to punt anything that might actually take a lot of effort, be even temporarily unpopular, or potentially fail. Since UHC falls into all three of those categories, it's dead as a door nail under Newsom. He's only interested in adding more easy feathers to his cap for a future POTUS campaign.

Being the guy who vetoed a monumental bill like UHC would be a big deal. He might not lead the charge, but he's also not enough of a risk-taker to sabotage something that a better leader got going and built momentum for.

Having a supermajority is a big deal, it's going to be hard to not make changes in CA regardless of who's Governor.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Tbh I break with the goon consensus on Newsom and UHC now, because I think there’s enough momentum politically for something better than the ACA like Medicare For All that Newsom would jump on a single payer bill at this point to have that feather in his cap for 2020/2024.

That way he can have a signature achievement like a successful UHC implementation when he runs for president.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

I'm not so sure about that. "Medicare for all" is increasingly a national Democratic party platform plank, and Newsom will make a calculation about whether he can be out in front on that for his inevitable presidential run.

e. Beaten. But yeah he will test the wind and fun his focus group algorithm and have his people study the numbers and if it seems like there is momentum towards health care as the factor Dems are using to try to recover their losses among non-college-educated midwestern white men, then Newsom is not going to be the guy who resists that. If it seems that is dead in the water, though, then he may not risk it.

I think getting it through the CA legislature, even with a supermajority, is the much bigger problem.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I think he’s more likely than Brown to follow the legislature’s moves with regards to that, in the past he’s been less than calculating, see: sf gay marriage. During prop 8 in 08 he was pretty aggressive about the whole thing. He’s robotic but the functions he’s programmed to perform are rather aligned with the democratic voters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hope you all are right. Successful UHC would be a massive boost to political legitimacy for the left in this country, and California might be the only place where it has a decent shot at succeeding at a state level.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

he would be publicly for it but privately be doing anything he could to make sure it never gets out of the legislature

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Sydin posted:

Hope you all are right. Successful UHC would be a massive boost to political legitimacy for the left in this country, and California might be the only place where it has a decent shot at succeeding at a state level.

That’s honestly the way I’d see it happening, if he realized he could campaign for president by selling California’s gains as the potential gains of the whole country regarding universal healthcare. Will he? Only Newsom knows

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

He’ll never get the Democratic nomination. Huge swaths of the electorate will immediately write him off for being a snooty San Franciscan politician who is out of touch with Real America.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

He’ll never get the Democratic nomination. Huge swaths of the electorate will immediately write him off for being a snooty San Franciscan politician who is out of touch with Real America.

I suspect that, by the end of his term, the electorate may end up with a 'broken clock right twice a day' on him. Put this guy and Romney in a boxing ring and you're pretty much set for Rock'em Sock'em Robots.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Gavin’s spent the past eight years preparing for this run

At least 14, since he was the first to legalize gay marriage in SF (which I'm convinced led indirectly to GWB winning reelection), and it's pretty clear he has his sights set higher than this. Best-case for him, he's going to term out at the age of 59, at which point it'll be the Senate or a (failed) run at the Presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I do it because it's easy