Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think literally every villain who isn't in the first two DBZ movies is probably fair play and could see canonization of some sort because all of them are pretty oft reused and the fanbase love seeing them be used in stuff again too. Turles is the original Goku Black and a lot of fans like Evil Goku even if there is someone now to make him kind of redundant and the Tree of Might is also a pretty cool rear end setpiece they could bring in, Lord Slug is one of the few other Namekians in the series and he gets a lot of love solely on that alone, Bojack has one of the most popular movies and is himself a pretty distinguished character even if his personality is about as bland as anything else, and Janemba and Hirudegarn while monsterish villains are both pretty popular due to being attached to some other favorite movie characters (Gogeta and Tapion, respectively) and having really unique powers all on their own or being a part of some pretty iconic Dragon Ball imagery.

You probably wouldn't see variations of movie characters like Bio Broly and Meta Cooler, but people like the original versions of those characters more anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

Yea he'd be named Chill but the bad Bardock special took that name.

Twins called Chill and Blaine. They know the Fusion dance.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Galatic Patrol Arc is basically going to be a big elaborate Harvey Birdman-esque affair where Goku is arrested by Space Cops, Vegeta is forced into being his Lawyer and he's being charged with the illegal destruction of the Frieza Empire.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

what other dbz movie villains would be popular enough for them to bring into the show? I could see cooler if only because freeza's been such a big part of super, but lord slug? turles? probably not

Bojack.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Janemba and Hirudegarn while monsterish villains are both pretty popular due to being attached to some other favorite movie characters (Gogeta and Tapion, respectively) and having really unique powers all on their own or being a part of some pretty iconic Dragon Ball imagery.
Looking forward to canon Janemba changing into his Super form and still acting like an overgrown infant, albeit one who's better at taking insults.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

"Goku's so stupid he doesn't realize how miserable he should be. I envy that."

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Out of the remaining movie villains, the only interesting one I can think of is Janemba, mostly due to his whacky powerset.

If they make a small mini arc like the Vegeta-Copy one, I would like it to focus around Trunks and the canonization of Tapion.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So I've been doing a complete watchthrough of the series starting in Dragon Ball and just got to Old Kai.

I know a lot of people like to dump on him, but I unironically like Shin. He's kind of a doofus, but he's just so relentlessly nice and friendly.

And it's not really his fault he doesn't know anything even if Old Kai and Beerus make fun of him for it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bumper Stickup posted:

I want Tree of Might to be canon in some capacity because I really liked that gimmick. Not saying Turles has to be canon but like the tree itself and its power enhancing fruit should be canon.

One of the dogmen from the poo poo universe eats one of the fruits in the exhibition match before the tournament of power, doesn't he? I think he eats it during the fight with Buu and gets rocked anyway.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Why wasn't I aware of this? https://gilmoreballz.wordpress.com/ Has anyone else talked about this? I'm seriously considering starting it soon, but I know nothing about Gilmore Girls..

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do love how Super expands the setting so much, which had started to feel small. Every universe has its own heroes, villains and gods with their own way of doing things, and we haven't even seen em all.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

i hope the galactic patrol has our own version of jiren

edit: god, jiren is so cool. he's like if someone extremely talented made a perfect broly.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I've been doing a complete watchthrough of the series starting in Dragon Ball and just got to Old Kai.

I know a lot of people like to dump on him, but I unironically like Shin. He's kind of a doofus, but he's just so relentlessly nice and friendly.

And it's not really his fault he doesn't know anything even if Old Kai and Beerus make fun of him for it.

I love how he adheres to proper ettiquette, while the regular crew are eating with their mouth open and farting at the dinner table. Him basically being polite about how he's not happy with the wayGoku speaks to him in super is beautiful.

Shin is basically the new kid starting his first job and the boss is away on vacation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, gently caress it, I'm going for it. Buu saga, here we go.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

RaspberryCommie posted:

Shin has had millennia to seek any help in his universe from other, more useful kais - to asking Whis. He must have at least known of Beerus and how much free time Whis has.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Shin has had millennia to seek any help in his universe from other, more useful kais - to asking Whis. He must have at least known of Beerus and how much free time Whis has.

During the Buu saga Beerus, Whis and the multiverse weren't even a glint in Toriyama's eye. It doesn't really make sense to judge characters based on retcons that happened nearly two decades later, the Buu saga in particular just completely breaks down when you try to do this. Why else would the Supreme Kais even fight Buu to begin with if they could have called on Beerus and Whis who are there for exactly that type of task? It's not even a job he can brush off because if Shin had been iced with the other Kais he'd have died too.

At the time of writing Shin was just some poor doofus who's had the entire support structure there to train him to do his role violently ripped away from him, he's just trying to wing it as best as he can.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So on the dvd version of the series I have, they kept the exact same closing credits for 200 episodes and only changed them (from one which featured all of the original Dragon Ball characters, including Launch) once Gohan starts going to high school. For all that people talk about how Toriyama only pushed Gohan as the main character after the Cell saga and Goku deciding not to be wished back, if you go by the credits alone, Gohan is the main character for the entirety of DBZ up to this point.

Regardless, it's really weird how Goku is in the very last shot of the new closing credits and the rest of it is all "This is Gohan, Videl, Goten and Trunks - THESE ARE YOUR NEW MAIN CHARACTERS!" when you already know that in about 20 episodes it'll be the Goku and Vegeta show again.

I think the Great Saiyaman story is fun but it really feels like a filler arc where they're killing time until Goku comes back. I wonder if it really felt like the genuine new status quo when it ran originally in the late 80s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe a lot of it was Toriyama wanting Gohan to be the protagonist but the fans and editors just wanted Goku back in the spotlight, or Toriyama ran out of ideas for Gohan and fell back on what he knew.

And would make sense that Shin is just totally out of his depth and given the lifespan of Supreme Kais, he probably didn't get much contact with them until Beerus woke up. Funny thing is that Goku's hick manchildishness has basically made Beerus step up as the main authority figure of his universe. I've mentioned, but it's funny that Beerus and Champa's immediate submission when Zeno is around seem to indicate they're quite aware of how petty and obnoxious their behaviour is around everyone else in the multiverse- they know they're being assholes, they simply don't care til there's immediate consequences to be had.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

multijoe posted:

During the Buu saga Beerus, Whis and the multiverse weren't even a glint in Toriyama's eye. It doesn't really make sense to judge characters based on retcons that happened nearly two decades later, the Buu saga in particular just completely breaks down when you try to do this. Why else would the Supreme Kais even fight Buu to begin with if they could have called on Beerus and Whis who are there for exactly that type of task? It's not even a job he can brush off because if Shin had been iced with the other Kais he'd have died too.

At the time of writing Shin was just some poor doofus who's had the entire support structure there to train him to do his role violently ripped away from him, he's just trying to wing it as best as he can.

And what is he post Buu, with all of this nonsense happening and his role becoming much more insignificant and dumber with each new heavenly hierarchy? Or poo poo, here's an idea now that he knows a wishing dragons exist and at least Dende is probably much more stronger than he, WHY DOESN'T HE loving WISH THE OTHER SUPREME KAIS BACK SO HE CAN GO BACK TO CLEANING PARADISE WORLD'S TOILETS? For most of his tenure as one of the gods of creation he has done nothing to try to learn how to create anything, make contact with any other Kai other than his Red Butler, train, loving do anything of significance or value; and unlike say Yamcha who at least plays baseball, Shin deserves any hate he gets because he's on top. If he doesn't like it, wish for someone more competent to be in charge or be born from a golden kai fruit.

He's divine middle management and he can go gently caress himself.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kai actually sacrificed himself to help Trunks defeat Dabura and Babidi in The Worst Timeline, he's a good boy trying his best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe he should've replaced the "Z" with something else when it got to the post-Cell storylines.

Like, "Dragon Ball: Gohan's Tale" or "Dragon Ball GT" for short.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe he should've replaced the "Z" with something else when it got to the post-Cell storylines.

more like, Dragon Ball: Garbage, Tzizimine

:smug:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One of the dogmen from the poo poo universe eats one of the fruits in the exhibition match before the tournament of power, doesn't he? I think he eats it during the fight with Buu and gets rocked anyway.

Oh yeah I had forgotten that happened. Alright cool wish fulfilled.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sadly, GT could only ever stand for Goku Time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

RaspberryCommie posted:

I was always under the impression that Shin hate was just a meme because of how unnecessarily nasty people treat him and the temper tantrums they go on when ranting about him. Took me a while to realize it was legit. multijoe is also right that judging a character's actions based on retcons makes little sense. It's Toriyama's fault for continuing to add tiers to the gods with every other arc.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Watching Kai on Toonami only made it more obvious how incompetent Shin is, considering he's wrong about like everything he ever says or does in the Buu saga, and it has nothing to do with Beerus.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Judging a fictional character's actions based on retcons is just as fine as judging an actual person's actions based on newly discovered history. Creators have purposely and non purposely made characters more and less sympathetic over time that way and it changes the opinion of the character as a result. Hell, the Bible (which invented the idea of canon basically) retcons the hell out of Satan due to later written books.

When reading Dragon Ball, Shin started off as a cool, in the know, Supreme God, and then we gradually found out he was a newbie idiot (Elder Kai completely established that, along with the Buu backstory). Now in Super, we see he knew even less than we thought and is even dumber (which is funny).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shin is a narrative device. they establish credibility with piccolo and learning he's supreme kai, then bring it into doubt with babidi's henchmen. he had to seem legit at face value to bring the cast to buu, but then ignorant enough once they got there to undercut himself so that people don't take his warnings seriously. he becomes completely irrelevant after elder kai is introduced and is relegated entirely to being the butt of the joke

I don't think people hate shin, but nobody in or out of the series itself exactly respects him. you can't take him seriously but that was the point

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Shin's true calling is as an intergalactic taxi driver, and he does that pretty drat well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like Shin, he's beyond useless but that makes him enjoyable in a clumsy idiot sort of way. I expect nothing from him and he always lives up to that. Sometimes, he even surpasses said expectations and proves to be genuinely a liability!

Also his interactions with Beerus are wonderful and in general I like that the series makes it clear that him being useless is the expected audience reaction by having the characters treat him the same way the audience does instead of pretending he's competent.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also think it's hilarious how the group shot at the end of the second opening credits for DBZ includes Gohan's other classmates Erasa and Sharpner like they're going to be important.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

toei was really hoping there'd be a love triangle

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also think it's hilarious how the group shot at the end of the second opening credits for DBZ includes Gohan's other classmates Erasa and Sharpner like they're going to be important.

Did those two ever show up again after Goku and pals went after Buu?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Did those two ever show up again after Goku and pals went after Buu?

no but they do get a lot more screentime in general in the original anime due to all the filler

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
shin is adorable

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sharktamer posted:

shin is adorable

Shin is like one of those cats that just fucks up a jump

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Shin can only be redeemed if there's a mini arc where he has to do something simple, like create a flower, and he puts that off to do - whatever the hell it is he does until the very last minute of panic and near constant failure.

Him basically coming in around ToP and almost positively saying "But there's only 20 planets of sapient life in the whole universe" is a little bit too much for me to go "Oh You" at him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I find it equally reasonable to believe that there actually are only twenty planets with intelligent life and Super's writers are just really dumb

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The whole crying about the 20 planets with life seems weird to me. It’s perfectly reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
There probably was a lot more life that he just let fall to the wayside not even out of malice but out of being too dumb to look.