Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Wife probably has MS. Seeing neuro in February. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
gently caress.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's... Not the best news. I hope for the best.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

:(

Best of luck and hopefully that's not the case.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
If it is, this first attack is *aggressive*. Which means terrible, bad, no good things, but it also means a more concrete diagnosis sooner from the scarring.

After running a shitton of tests the ED doc sat down and explained things frankly. MS is about the only thing that fits, but we won't know for a long time if this is the start of the disease.

This is on top of her getting diagnosed with hep c after getting bloody sputum spat into her eye a month previous.

And still dealing with neuropathy from the multiple surgeries on her arm.

This is getting really goddamn hard to handle guys. Why are the holidays always such a horrible time for everyone here?

E: sorry to dump more poo poo on the poo poo pile. I just don't really have anyone to talk to irl because we share basically all our friends and family, and she wants to keep it quiet until we know.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Goddamn dude that sucks. I hope it’s a misdiagnosis.

I had some pain and a weird rash about a year ago and was diagnosed as having shingles. However the doc never followed it up with tests or anything so it wasn’t confirmed.

I’ve never had a relapse and my girlfriend (also a doc) remains unconvinced that it was ever shingles.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Holy poo poo SGS, that's awful :(

But I have to ask:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

This is on top of her getting diagnosed with hep c after getting bloody sputum spat into her eye a month previous.

What the actual gently caress

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hep C is no joke and treatment in the US is like thirty thousand dollars after insurance last time I checked.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
^^ yeah, it hasn't been a good time, especially considering the stigma related to hepatitis c. 6 drug tests and counting, she's been basically cut off from the medications to control her anxiety and pain.

Dagen H posted:

Holy poo poo SGS, that's awful :(

But I have to ask:

What the actual gently caress

The emergency department can be hard on people. A whole lot of crazy comes in with a whole lot of undiagnosed poo poo, and you end up having to put yourself in very unsafe situations at times to keep other patients/that same patient safe.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 17, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ man, what a lovely deal all around :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
SGS that sucks :( That's got to be brutal.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
it's not the best. Having to help my badass wife down the front steps and having to take most of her weight was a sobering experience.

E: best/worst part is up until now we had been painting a nursery and trying for kids. That just shouldn't happen if it is MS though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Oof, that's a kick in the gut. I hope like hell y'all have better days ahead.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

it's not the best. Having to help my badass wife down the front steps and having to take most of her weight was a sobering experience.

E: best/worst part is up until now we had been painting a nursery and trying for kids. That just shouldn't happen if it is MS though.

Jesus, when it rains it pours...
Sorry man

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Saw this pic this morning, trying to figure out which part of the car melted. The alloy wheel looks fine, must be the heads that melted? Or maybe the wheel on the other side possibly. Either way it's nuts.

It looks like only part of the wheel is there though? It's a bit deceiving. I only see the face of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Total guess with that molten aluminum, is it's head/block as the fluids catch fire along with all the plastics under the hood.

Another total guess from the wheel arch shape and wheels is Toyota. 4Runner maybe?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Vent here, that's what we're here for. Fingers crossed for her as well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Saw this pic this morning, trying to figure out which part of the car melted. The alloy wheel looks fine, must be the heads that melted? Or maybe the wheel on the other side possibly. Either way it's nuts.

Your looking at manifolds, master cylinders, radiators, heads, anything made from cast alloy there. People massively underestimate how hot a car fire gets, especially under the bonnet which is normally packed with nice flammable plastics and liquids to fuel an absolute inferno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

QuarkMartial posted:

Man. Look at that photo again. You want to go to prison for beating up that guy? Save it for someone worth your time.

I've spent most of my time trying to convince my friend to not go after him. Her mother is working the angle that he adopted a new name so that was a violation of his probation so she's hoping he gets locked up. I don't know, it's just interesting to watch at this point.

CHIPOTLE

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
You really should freeze most of that. Refrigerated foods can have lives as short as 3 days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Queen Combat posted:

You really should freeze most of that. Refrigerated foods can have lives as short as 3 days.

You say that as if it's going to last three days.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
That's a loving garbage deal and it sucks you guys are getting hit with all of this, especially at once. Thankfully, at least on the HCV front her workplace should be responsible for everything since it was all occupational exposure. Ledipasvir/sofosbuvir is an incredible step forward, but it's virtually a crime that they're charing $84k for it. As far as I am aware the current recommendations are to treat everyone who is anticipated not to die soon from an unrelated illness, so she a) should qualify, and b) shouldn't be responsible for the cost. I (both fortunately and unfortunately in this case) don't have any friends in medicine who seroconverted, so I can't say whether these "should"s translate into reality, but she's got a strong argument and probably a strong nursing union as well.

You guys are going to pull through. It sucks you don't have anyone you can face-to-face vent to, which is really hard when you have to stay strong and positive for your wife no matter how angry, scared, and powerless you might feel. For what it's worth, we're here for you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Well, that sucks hairy donkey balls.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That's a loving garbage deal and it sucks you guys are getting hit with all of this, especially at once. Thankfully, at least on the HCV front her workplace should be responsible for everything since it was all occupational exposure.
This, it's totally poo poo, but I can't see how it's not on them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

First off, I haven't flown in ages. Like over a decade. Flying to my hometown next weekend. I'm diabetic, and we're doing carry-on only. Any of you guys that travel often have to deal with the TSA vs typical testing supplies (specifically lancets)?

Second, what's really stuck with me at the moment... friend invited me and GF over for Thanksgiving dinner via text around 10pm. GF and I had discussed "what are we doing for Thanksgiving?" last week, and ultimately decided to revisit the topic once we both figured out our work schedules.

She's off, and I'm just on call for catering orders from 10am-1pm (if I do get any orders, it'll be between 11:00 - 12:30). So I tell friend "Thanks for the invite man, I'm definitely down. Is it okay if GF comes along?" (and add in it's okay to say no, he knows we're going through... issues). He says of course it's fine to bring her.

I get home, run it by her. She throws a hissyfit saying she made plans for us to go out for dinner. At a place where it's going to be $50 a head. Whoa, stop the loving bus. I normally get paid Thursdays, but won't get paid until either Friday or Monday because of the holiday. I just threw my entire bank account (including much of my very laughable savings) at the IRS (finally paying off my 2016 debt) and my student loans, I have juuuuust enough to get through until payday without leaning on my credit card, and that's if I live like a monk for the week. I couldn't even pay off my CC in full like I normally do (I did more than the minimum payment, but not by a whole lot). And I sure as gently caress don't have any clothes that fit for a fancypants place.

Her initial argument was "we're having Thanksgiving with your mom, then my mom, why do we need 3 Thanksgiving dinners" (uh... I thought we were having the second one with my dad?). Then I look at the Thanksgiving day menu for the place she told me we're going to. It's a typical Thanksgiving spread (ham or turkey, mashed taters, etc etc etc etc - big meal).

Would have been nice to be told I had plans made for me. :argh: I follow the text up with "Sorry man... looks like I had plans made for me, but I really appreciate the invite". And make sure to erase the text thread from my phone. He knows not to reply to texts like those; he'll follow up on FB Messenger later.

I can't wait for the end of our lease.

everdave, you up for a slightly crazy 40 year old <mediocre car reference>?

Suburban Dad posted:

Overclocked? I still use the same processor @ 4.3 (starting getting some BSOD with it higher so I recently dropped it down for stability...getting a little long in the tooth) with a 1070 and it rocks for most everything.

Up until lightning took out the motherboard (nothing else except for 1 port on my router was damaged :confused: - the PC was still running afterwards, but bitching about the network adapter not responding.. tried rebooting and that was it, no signs of life, my only guess is it came in via the coax and the cable modem somehow survived), my i5-2500k had been at 4.4 since day one. Had to downgrade to a first gen i5 I had sitting around (though the 2500k lives on in my mother's PC running @ 4.1, highest her board will support).

A very kind goon sent me a motherboard and CPU with an i7-2600k a couple of months ago (ironically the same person I bought the first gen i5 + mobo from several years back :v:). I don't know if they want to be named (lest people start hounding them for free poo poo), but I cranked it up to 4.5 and it hasn't hiccuped once, aside from some weird fuckery with the hybrid BIOS that Asus used on this board. They said it'd never been overclocked; between this, the 16GB of RAM, massive CPU cooler, and Samsung SSD, this should be good for a really long time.

Also the longest I've ever had a power supply last. I bought this power supply as a "cheapie" (Corsair builder series CX500) to tide me over until I could get a better one when I built the 2500k, and.... well, never did get a better one. It even survived being bottom mounted with the case on carpet (thus, no airflow) for a few months until I happened to pop the case open and burned myself on the PSU. I think it's 7 years old now?

Suburban Dad posted:

$25 and a few hours later that thing could be pumping!

I assume the $25 is for something like this (same one I run), but a few hours? Once the HSF is installed, it should take 5 minutes. 10-15 if you have a finicky motherboard.

Adiabatic posted:

Is My Chemical Romance dude banking on some 35 year old guy being scared of him?

Gerard Way is far, far better looking than that creep.

I mean, I usually prefer younger dudes (I'm sure as gently caress not into 18 year olds though), but I'd totally bang Gerard.

(also if you still have babby's first piercing size piercings at 35, you need to go big or go home to mommy)

Darchangel posted:

Texas has a form that you sign and pay $5 or so to assert that you no longer own the vehicle. See if your state does something like that.

Ask NTTA how many fucks they give about that form sometime.

Go ahead. Ask them.

At least NOW, the worst they can do is block renewal of the registration and keep mailing pink letters. They used to be able to report to CRAs. Oh, I did find out they'll keep whatever funds are on a tolltag account when you close it if the account was ever tied to a car that currently has back tolls (lost $30 over that, but the car had a couple of hundred in back tolls owed.. and another $1100 in fees).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

gently caress, sorry to hear about all this, SGS. MS is a terrible disease. My aunt has advanced primary progressive MS; I just came back a few days ago from flying across the country to see her and my uncle.

I may not be much of a regular poster here but you and your wife are in my thoughts. :sympathy:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

:goshawk: And as the seasons begin to change, the new generation of Winter Project Threads start blooming all around us~*~*~*~

North bound dragging a Datsun the whole way

Miata Is Always The Answer: A long time coming

Slow old diesel leaf sprung Toyota 4wds (no rust this time)

Tin Top Troubles

Winter project time is always good reading, good recommendations. Need to start a thread when we tear into the locost for full cage, pedal box, rewiring and logging dash. Hey maybe I'll even mess with the f20c m3 a bit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

meatpimp posted:

:(

Man, AI in general was on a reasonable run until lately, I thought we were going to avoid :fuck2018:

Rhyno posted:

CHIPOTLE

I wanna see your scale, fat Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll do that after I digest and uh, clear this helping.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Queen Combat posted:

Whatever mom

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Queen Combat posted:

My wife has a firm 4 day leftover rule for foods in the fridge. I'm closer to a week (and as far as I know never got sick from it). Her father, who is presently batching it because mom is away for a couple months, is still happily chowing down on a vat of Costco Potato Salad that's been in his fridge since something like Aug... maaaaybe Sept. I asked him how long it's been in there and his reply was "I might throw it out, it's tasting different now but I just add some hotsauce to it. :)"

Hey :canada: if you bought a CRT TV between 95-07, you can claim a chunk of free money.

http://www.crtclassactioncanada.ca/

No proof of purchase necessary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Most of it is vegetables, not really freezer friendly stuff. I did put the salsas into some Ball jars and the black beans into a freezer tub. We'll have devoured everything else by Monday.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

STR you need to :sever:, like, 2 months ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey question to ask without wading into console-specific threads in games, and I kind of trust the hive mind here a little more....

I am thinking about getting a new video game console for myself and probably also buy one as a gift to my father in law for xmas this year. There are some good black friday deals on and coming up and not sure if I should stick with Sony or jump to MS.

We both presently use a PS3 as our main home entertainment hub but not necessarily handcuffed to Sony, although I do like the Gran Turismo series. We do both own a PS3 and various assorted games along with it, although it doesn't sound like there is backwards compatibility so I'm not sure if that has any value. Besides, it's not like the current PS3 has to be thrown away.

We both have 1080p TVs, is there any benefit going to one of the "upgraded" consoles like the PS4 Pro or Xbox X for 1080p?

Not a huge gamer, but probably would end up buy RDR2 right away for myself, and I'd probably look for car racing games for dad. He also likes pinball games (like Pinball Arcade - owns every season in PS3).

Opinions for which way to go for the casual gamer? Online play is minimal, if any, we might sometimes play head-head in racing games but that hasn't happened in a long time. I see there is a good deal now for a One S bundle w/Forza.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My 5yo just ran up behind me sitting on the couch, wrapped her arms around my neck and told me she loved me.

It's been a rough week and damnit is someone cutting onions up in here?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

angryrobots posted:

My 5yo just ran up behind me sitting on the couch, wrapped her arms around my neck and told me she loved me.

It's been a rough week and damnit is someone cutting onions up in here?

:3: nice.

We made the decision to reduce the height of my son's bed today, he occasionally wakes up disoriented due to low cortisol and he's got a raised cabin bed so there's a not-insignificant risk of him falling out and really hurting himself. Despite having discussed this with him the reality of getting the saw out brought him to tears and it took my wife over an hour to calm him down. When I'd done he liked it though and we discussed changes to make in the future, but it looks like my standard "talk about it for ages then get a sudden rush of blood to the head and actually do it" DIY style isn't compatible with him, emotionally.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

cakesmith handyman posted:

:3: nice.

We made the decision to reduce the height of my son's bed today, he occasionally wakes up disoriented due to low cortisol and he's got a raised cabin bed so there's a not-insignificant risk of him falling out and really hurting himself. Despite having discussed this with him the reality of getting the saw out brought him to tears and it took my wife over an hour to calm him down. When I'd done he liked it though and we discussed changes to make in the future, but it looks like my standard "talk about it for ages then get a sudden rush of blood to the head and actually do it" DIY style isn't compatible with him, emotionally.

I suspect that anything that reminds him that Things Have Changed Forever is probably going to be a bit rough, so I bet that no matter whether you jumped in or eased in he would have taken it hard. Better to have jumped in and done it rather than have him fall before you got around to it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

slidebite posted:

Hey question to ask without wading into console-specific threads in games, and I kind of trust the hive mind here a little more....

I am thinking about getting a new video game console for myself and probably also buy one as a gift to my father in law for xmas this year. There are some good black friday deals on and coming up and not sure if I should stick with Sony or jump to MS.

We both presently use a PS3 as our main home entertainment hub but not necessarily handcuffed to Sony, although I do like the Gran Turismo series. We do both own a PS3 and various assorted games along with it, although it doesn't sound like there is backwards compatibility so I'm not sure if that has any value. Besides, it's not like the current PS3 has to be thrown away.

We both have 1080p TVs, is there any benefit going to one of the "upgraded" consoles like the PS4 Pro or Xbox X for 1080p?

Not a huge gamer, but probably would end up buy RDR2 right away for myself, and I'd probably look for car racing games for dad. He also likes pinball games (like Pinball Arcade - owns every season in PS3).

Opinions for which way to go for the casual gamer? Online play is minimal, if any, we might sometimes play head-head in racing games but that hasn't happened in a long time. I see there is a good deal now for a One S bundle w/Forza.

I'm not a big console gamer either but my understanding is that xbox doesn't have any real exclusives this generation, so you would want a PS4. Don't know about Pro

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

slidebite posted:

The exclusives alone make the PS4 the obvious choice. You can't play Horizon Zero Dawn or Bloodborne on an xbox so what is the point of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
And the Pro plays smoother in 1080p than the regular PS4, and sometimes uses higher resolution textures and stuff.

My Pro arrives on Monday. My last console (other than the switch, which has been passed on) was a launch day Wii.

• Locked thread