Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
If we switch to popular vote he might have a chance at the presidency, but yeah he’s DOA in the electoral college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

ICMB posted:

At least 14, since he was the first to legalize gay marriage in SF (which I'm convinced led indirectly to GWB winning reelection), and it's pretty clear he has his sights set higher than this. Best-case for him, he's going to term out at the age of 59, at which point it'll be the Senate or a (failed) run at the Presidency.

The early nexus models have a short lifespan.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

ICMB posted:

Best-case for him, he's going to term out at the age of 59, at which point it'll be the Senate or a (failed) run at the Presidency.

Perfect timing to primary Feinstein!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CPColin posted:

Perfect timing to primary Feinstein!

Yeah the most likely progression is to Feinstein's seat when she gets too old or someone finds her phylactery or whatever.

But as for the presidential run, he's still quite young and a lot can change in 20 years. He's gonna run eventually.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Gavin may be a Patrick Bateman sourced Replicant but he's still 1,000,000 times better than some fundy GOP Heritage Foundation Teabag regressive talking point in a suit - even if Gavin makes annoying gun laws ( I own guns and don't give a poo poo anymore - I have enough). The people on other sites whining about him being a "commie gun grabber, oh I HATE CALIFORNIA WAAAAA" are undercover CHUD's or at least CHUD-CURIOUS.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Gavin may be a Patrick Bateman sourced Replicant but he's still 1,000,000 times better than some fundy GOP Heritage Foundation Teabag regressive talking point in a suit - even if Gavin makes annoying gun laws ( I own guns and don't give a poo poo anymore - I have enough). The people on other sites whining about him being a "commie gun grabber, oh I HATE CALIFORNIA WAAAAA" are undercover CHUD's or at least CHUD-CURIOUS.

Nobody debates this but with social and ecological collapse looming it's just not good enough.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Sexuality: CHUD-CURIOUS

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hm, who could have seen this coming in the wake of Brown's utility bailout bill:

"California throws lifline to PG&E over Camp Fire liability posted:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Shares of Pacific Gas & Electric soared Friday after California's top utility regulator said his agency will help the company deal with potentially crippling liability costs from wildfires.

Stock prices soared nearly 38 percent after plunging 60 percent and losing $15 billion in valuation in the week following the Northern California wildfire that is the nation's deadliest in a century.

No cause has been determined, but speculation has centered on PG&E, which reported an outage around the time and place the fire ignited. The death toll from the so-called Camp Fire has risen to at least 63, with hundreds of people still unaccounted for. California state investigators in June faulted PG&E-owned power lines for sparking a dozen blazes in Northern California in the fall of 2017 that killed 46 and incinerated nearly 9,000 homes and other structures.

Late Thursday, California Public Utilities Commission President Michael Picker sought to calm financial markets by indicating support for the continued viability of PG&E and other publicly traded utilities.

In an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, Picker said his agency will soon implement a provision in a new state law that makes it easier for utilities to pass costs for past wildfires to their customers. He said additional legislation may be needed to ensure that provision applies to this year's fires.

"They have to be financially healthy to be able to provide those goods and services that ratepayers need," he told the Chronicle. "If they can't borrow money, if they have liquidity problems and they can't do vegetation management, that's a problem. That's not good policy, to really let them get financially unstable."

"Whatever happens, we can't let this murderous government-parasite company fail!"

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

Hm, who could have seen this coming in the wake of Brown's utility bailout bill:

"Whatever happens, we can't let this murderous government-parasite company fail!"

And while my friend’s family is still recovering bodies and the smoke chokes out the sun.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Hrmm, yes. Bailing out the utility monopoly will give them a strong incentive to fix their infrastructure and stop causing the worst fires in California history.

As Keynes said, "Insulate them from consequence and they'll surely give a poo poo."

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Big Game is delayed to December 1. Whew.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Class Warcraft posted:

"In an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, Picker said his agency will soon implement a provision in a new state law that makes it easier for utilities to pass costs for past wildfires to their customers. He said additional legislation may be needed to ensure that provision applies to this year's fires."

what

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I said it a few pages ago, but for all the poo poo this state gets for being a liberal utopia, we are still very much a neo-liberal utopia. gently caress the poors, rah-rah capitalism.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The CPUC has long been complicit with the investor-owned utilities.

We're never going to get rid of SDG&E and PG&E, but we should demand our representatives help out CCAs:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-community-power-20180608-story.html

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I was only kind of joking before, but PG&E HQ and the CA Public Utilities Commission are only 1.5 miles apart. We should be marching so that our tax dollars aren't lining the pockets of executives and shareholders of a utility company that is actively murdering us.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Privatizing profit and socializing risk certainly takes on a new meaning when the risk in question is being burned alive.

Speaking of, Camp fire death toll is up to 71.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Speaking of, Camp fire death toll is up to 71.

and the number of missing is up to 1,011 :catstare:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

The CPUC has long been complicit with the investor-owned utilities.

We're never going to get rid of SDG&E and PG&E, but we should demand our representatives help out CCAs:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-community-power-20180608-story.html

There's a new CCA that's looking to form in the IE where I am, are those a good thing? I don't know much about them.

This guy: http://www.wrcog.cog.ca.us/272/Western-Community-Energy

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rah! posted:

and the number of missing is up to 1,011 :catstare:

I said something similar in USPOL, but that ratio isn't surprising. I recall during the October fires last year, missing persons peaked over 700, but the final death toll from all the various fires settled at ~40. A lot of missing people are displaced with no way of making contact or even knowing they've been reported missing.

Like, expect the death toll to rise, but not into the hundreds—hopefully.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 17, 2018

Morbus
May 18, 2004

time for People's Gas & Electric imo

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

I said something similar in USPOL, but that ratio isn't surprising. I recall during the October fires last year, missing persons peaked over 700, but the final death toll from all the various fires settled at ~40. A lot of missing people are simply displayed with no way of making contact or even knowing they've been reported missing.

yeah of course a lot of it is people who just can't be contacted, but it's been an entire week since the fire started. for it to jump so drastically a week later doesn't look good IMO, and with that many people missing, even a small proportion ending up dead still equals a lot of people dead. i hope im just being pessimistic :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I was only kind of joking before, but PG&E HQ and the CA Public Utilities Commission are only 1.5 miles apart. We should be marching so that our tax dollars aren't lining the pockets of executives and shareholders of a utility company that is actively murdering us.

You're absolutely right but it doesn't look like any major activist groups are interested in making it happen.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it was also less than a month ago PG&E got absolutely hammered for shutting off the electricity proactively, so regardless of how clumsily that was handled, it shouldn't be surprising they didn't do it again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/10/15/pge-voluntarily-shut-off-power-north-california-wildfires/1646686002/

https://www.pge.com/en_US/safety/emergency-preparedness/natural-disaster/wildfires/public-safety-event.page?WT.pgeac=PSPS_Updates

quote:

Nothing is more important than the safety of our customers and the communities we serve. As of 8:03 p.m., on Sunday, Oct. 14, PG&E proactively turned off the power in extreme fire-risk areas of Lake, Napa and Sonoma counties impacting approximately 17,500 customers. As of 8:48 p.m., on Sunday, Oct. 14, PG&E proactively turned off the power in extreme fire-risk areas of the Sierra Foothills in Amador, El Dorado and Calaveras counties, impacting approximately 42,000 customers.

This action was based on localized weather forecasts calling for wind gusts of up to 50 mph Sunday night into Monday morning.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's not a matter of them not turning off the power, they didn't do their jobs in clearing brush and tree growth near their lines.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Maybe the only good part of the entire bay area being smothered in toxic ash and smoke for days on end is that this combined with smothering ash also falling all over Sacramento combined with the recent historical memory of a bunch of rich fucks getting torched in the north bay last year combined with a sudden and surprising legislative supermajority in the state legislature will result in...something?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Morbus posted:

time for People's Gas & Electric imo

It'd probably get cast down hard by the voters but it's good prop material. Could probably find some left-leaning lawyers and policy wonks to help craft something workable on the cheap.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I said something similar in USPOL, but that ratio isn't surprising. I recall during the October fires last year, missing persons peaked over 700, but the final death toll from all the various fires settled at ~40. A lot of missing people are displaced with no way of making contact or even knowing they've been reported missing.

The caveat to this one is it was an extremely fast moving fire that went through an old person community that had poor driving infrastructure. When you've got 10 minutes to 1) get a phone notification, hopefully waking you up, 2) read and process what it says and then convince the others in the household of the severity, 3) pack the things you need, which when you're just waking up you may not be in a good frame of mind to recognize you don't actually have time and what things you do and don't need, 4) grab pets and prepare for leaving, and finally 5) leave...

5-10 minute wake up and get out is good to fair for young/agile/healthy people who know what they're doing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Camp fire definitely looks like it was faster to reach more densely populated areas. I do expect the count to rise considerably, just pointing out that there's some cause to hope that most of those missing will be found alive, if not well.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Actually getting a “nationalize PG&E” initiative qualified for the ballot would be great leverage for getting the legislature to act.

Earlier this year some online privacy advocates got Sacramento to pass a California version of GDPR by using a qualified ballot measure for an even stronger privacy bill as leverage to get a slightly weaker version passed through the legislature.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

The caveat to this one is it was an extremely fast moving fire that went through an old person community that had poor driving infrastructure. When you've got 10 minutes to 1) get a phone notification, hopefully waking you up, 2) read and process what it says and then convince the others in the household of the severity, 3) pack the things you need, which when you're just waking up you may not be in a good frame of mind to recognize you don't actually have time and what things you do and don't need, 4) grab pets and prepare for leaving, and finally 5) leave...

5-10 minute wake up and get out is good to fair for young/agile/healthy people who know what they're doing.

Seriously I scrolled through the list of missing earlier today and there are lots of seniors on there.

I’m going to write my reps this weekend and ask them to seize all of PG&E’s assets with prejudice. When that fails I will start a gofundme to bring back the Metcalf Snipers

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah that explanation didn't work for Puerto Rico, why would it work now.

:smith:

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Sydin posted:

It'd probably get cast down hard by the voters but it's good prop material. Could probably find some left-leaning lawyers and policy wonks to help craft something workable on the cheap.
It strikes me that a ballot initiative that prevented PG&E from raising rates for "X" months after killing people, where "X'' is equal to the number of people killed would pass by an overwhelming majority even after PG&E spent millions of dollars on ads opposing it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

Yeah that explanation didn't work for Puerto Rico, why would it work now.

Do you know how many people were listed as missing? The fatalities are easy to google, but I can't find any numbers on reported missing directly after the storm because of all the conspiracy bullshit surrounding the topic.

Aside from that, California has better disaster management resources, so you wouldn't see a situation like Puerto Rico where a bunch of people who might have lived died in the aftermath because our President is malignant racist. That same infrastructure advantage also means they can take and process a lot more missing persons reports, which further spikes the number.

Again, not saying the final toll won't be horrid, only that things are still hectic and there's reason to hope that the number won't climb into the hundreds.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dave47 posted:

It strikes me that a ballot initiative that prevented PG&E from raising rates for "X" months after killing people, where "X'' is equal to the number of people killed would pass by an overwhelming majority even after PG&E spent millions of dollars on ads opposing it.

They'd just lobby to be relieved of liability so the law is moot.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's not a matter of them not turning off the power, they didn't do their jobs in clearing brush and tree growth near their lines.

gently caress PG&E, but I’m not sure any utility can operate safely in California anymore. PGE has something like 80 million acres in its territory, and over 100,000 miles of transmission lines. How can they ensure that no trees ever fall on a line, or no lines ever fall into brush?

I mean, small fires from electric lines happen in every state all the time, and get controlled easily. In 2018 California they become infernos because this state is a giant dry tinderbox with millions of people living in the middle of the timber.

So gently caress PGE and replace it with public power, but the fires ain’t gonna stop.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

predicto posted:

gently caress PG&E, but I’m not sure any utility can operate safely in California anymore. PGE has something like 80 million acres in its territory, and over 100,000 miles of transmission lines. How can they ensure that no trees ever fall on a line, or no lines ever fall into brush?

They could have done it safely. But instead they actively chose to ignore vegetation management and spend that money on executive bonuses instead.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, while the problem is big and complex, I'm pretty sure that "loot our available capital reserves to enrich our investors and executives rather than investing in infrastructure," isn't making it easier to solve.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Trabisnikof posted:

They could have done it safely. But instead they actively chose to ignore vegetation management and spend that money on executive bonuses instead.

They spent 200 million dollars on vegetation management last year. It doesn’t matter. They could spend five times that much, and massive fires would still happen. There are over 55 million trees adjacent to a PGE power line. It only takes one to fall, and the entire state is made of kindling now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

predicto posted:

They spent 200 million dollars on vegetation management last year. It doesn’t matter. They could spend five times that much, and massive fires would still happen. There are over 55 million trees adjacent to a PGE power line. It only takes one to fall, and the entire state is made of kindling now.

You're right, there's nothing they could have done, and they were entirely justified in completely dropping the ball and enriching themselves instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

predicto posted:

They’re incentivized to direct money toward profits that could be spent on maintenance. You’re right that there’s no magic number of dollars that will stop all the fires, but the incentives are still all wrong.