Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Wheeee posted:

Also anyone telling you Ferraris are robust is either full of poo poo or comparing them to even lower volume exotics.

The probably 100+ years of shared experience of the Ferrari technicians I've been speaking with all this week disagree with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Wheeee posted:

Even aside from the low production volume, high performance thing working against the 5.2L being reliable, it'll also straight up need to be rebuilt sooner due to running more harshly.
What is a rebuild? Rings? Rings, pistons, con rods? Bearings?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Q_res posted:

Honestly, the Coyote had that problem too. I couldn't really romp on it on the streets because it would get moving so drat fast. I can only imagine the Voodoo being so much worse.
This is true. Any throttle in 2nd and you're speeding in no time flat. I've reason why I'd rather have a Bullitt than a Shelby.

The only time my gf got to drive my mustang was delivering it to the dealer to trade it in while I did paperwork. She hit 110 before she hit the end of the on-ramp. Oops.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 17, 2018

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Wheeee posted:

Inline 4 and V8 engines differ due to the two banks of cylinders firing against eachother in the V8. Flat plane crankshafts in a V8 are like two I4 engines stuck together, and they vibrate like a motherfucker.

Cross plane crankshafts were developed with more counterweights and a different firing order among the cylinders specifically to deal with the roughness of flat plane crankshafts.

Even aside from the low production volume, high performance thing working against the 5.2L being reliable, it'll also straight up need to be rebuilt sooner due to running more harshly.

Also anyone telling you Ferraris are robust is either full of poo poo or comparing them to even lower volume exotics.

Huh, thanks for the info.

Another dumb question, but could you have two flat-plane crankshafts, one for each bank? Would that require two entire engines side by side or just some sort of two-input transmission?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The VAG W8 in the B5 Passat W8 is also flat plane (2 inline 4s with the cylinders further staggered). :science:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

BrownieVK posted:

Which is great because an intercooler and tune really bring out some extra power. Really hope the bronco has a stick. Was the ranger supposed to get a manual or only the 10spd?

The Ranger is only coming with the 10 speed.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
AFAIK, Ferrari couldn’t make a flat-crank V8 bigger than 4.5L without it blowing up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
That's why they made v12s :getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I kind of like the Bronco. :shrug:

Are 350Rs selling for sticker now?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 17, 2018

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

fridge corn posted:

The probably 100+ years of shared experience of the Ferrari technicians I've been speaking with all this week disagree with you

I know several Germans who are Mercedes technicians with like 70 years between three of them who will swear up and down that Mercedes makes the best, most reliable cars on earth and nothing else is worth owning.

What I’m saying is, they may not be entirely unbiased.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Residency Evil posted:

My local dealer has two left over non R's for under MSRP right now.

Edit: Just checked, 2017 GT350 non R MSRP 81k CAD, currently listed for 69k CAD.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 17, 2018

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Residency Evil posted:

I kind of like the Bronco. :shrug:

Again, just to be clear, that is not the Bronco.

Also, I seriously doubt it on the Rs.

McTinkerson posted:

My local dealer has two left over non R's for under MSRP right now.

Edit: Just checked, 2017 GT350 non R MSRP 81k CAD, currently listed for 69k CAD.

He asked about the 350R, telling him what non-R 350s are selling for is completely irrelevant.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 17, 2018

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Frank Dillinger posted:

I know several Germans who are Mercedes technicians with like 70 years between three of them who will swear up and down that Mercedes makes the best, most reliable cars on earth and nothing else is worth owning.

What I’m saying is, they may not be entirely unbiased.

Oh I'm sure there's a bit of that going around but in this case im strictly speaking to the reliability of Ferrari's flat plane v8s and not necessarily of the cars on a whole.

Besides I'm not sure why they would mislead me as I'm bound to find out for myself soon enough

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Q_res posted:

Honestly, the Coyote had that problem too. I couldn't really romp on it on the streets because it would get moving so drat fast. I can only imagine the Voodoo being so much worse.

Yeah you have 400+ hp and it takes you from 0-illegal in less than 5 seconds.

kimbo305 posted:

I'm guessing it just takes a while for an expensive high performance motor to get tinkered on by speed shops.
If no 350s wreck, then they'll have to order one from Ford.
I suspect who's owning and using 350s right now might also play into that -- people who might not care for building those motors right away, especially if it was a good effort from Ford out of the box.

They also don't offer it as a crate engine and a mild cam and head upgrade on the coyote already puts you within spitting range of about 550hp. All with the support and parts availability of a very popular engine. it might not make much financial sense to work on the 350 compared to returns on working more on the coyote, especially with the new gen 3 coyotes now having direct injection.

Hell they offer a moderately built crate version using a lot of parts from the 350, including the block and head but minus the flatplane, called the 5.2 aluminator that comes in at 580hp.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love being able to wind out my s2k without flagrantly breaking any laws. 2nd tops out right before 60 mph.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fknlo posted:

I love being able to wind out my s2k without flagrantly breaking any laws. 2nd tops out right before 60 mph.

This is why my Abarth, while not being a "good" car, is great for me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah you have 400+ hp and it takes you from 0-illegal in less than 5 seconds.

Which is a shame since the 2018+ got bumped up to a 7400rpm redline (the 460hp is fun too). It absolutely howls above 6k but I rarely get to hear it. It's a little better with the 3.73's but I'd still like to wind it out more often.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I guess that's the whole "driving a slow car fast versus driving a fast car slow" thing. I keep waffling on my project car what I want to do with the engine. For some reason 300 from the ecoboost four-cylinder sounds great, but 300 from a v8 sounds lame for some reason. I guess because I know I can get more out of it but would I actually use it?

I guess it sounds better on paper than it would be in real life since I'm not intending for it to be a drag strip car, I would rather have a car that I can enjoy often instead of something I have to tiptoe around town with.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-toyota-prius-awd-hybrid-photos-info

Tesla pretty strongly implied that they'll be showing off an AWD version of the Prius (which has been available exclusively in Japan for several years now) at the LA auto show at the end of November.

The one down side to the Prius that I've noticed is piss-poor performance on snow (though I wonder if actual snow tires might have been a decent remedy for that). Not that I'd likely buy this (I was hoping for my next car to be pure electric).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cockmaster posted:

Tesla pretty strongly implied that they'll be showing off an AWD version of the Prius (which has been available exclusively in Japan for several years now) at the LA auto show at the end of November.

The one down side to the Prius that I've noticed is piss-poor performance on snow (though I wonder if actual snow tires might have been a decent remedy for that). Not that I'd likely buy this (I was hoping for my next car to be pure electric).
Who?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cockmaster posted:

Tesla...Prius

and in one swoop the Prius' reliability falls through the floor, the basement, the crust and the core of the planet.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

Saying a car is bad in snow without winter tires is beyond idiotic.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Saying a car is bad in snow without winter tires is beyond idiotic.

Yup. gently caress me, there's no way a 3000lb car with 185-section tires, McStrut front and a sensible IRS is going to be bad in the snow for any longer than it takes to get the cast iron treaded low rolling resistance factory boots off it.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Part of me really wanted a GT350R, but the rate that those things are going through engines is scary. Ford choosing not to use the Voodoo for any other platform is pretty telling. Also being realistic with myself on where the car would be driven, having instant power at a lower RPM is far more usable.

The ZL1 can get you in trouble real quick, but goddamn is it fun to drive.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

joe944 posted:

Part of me really wanted a GT350R, but the rate that those things are going through engines is scary. Ford choosing not to use the Voodoo for any other platform is pretty telling. Also being realistic with myself on where the car would be driven, having instant power at a lower RPM is far more usable.

The ZL1 can get you in trouble real quick, but goddamn is it fun to drive.

I just want a 5.0L GT with a manual in a nice blue with a black interior. I'm not liking autocross as much as I liked the idea of autocrossing. Having a bitchin cruiser to go to and from work on pretty days is pretty much all I do with the miata anymore.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Having grown up and lived in northern Canada for most of my adult life, any car with any reasonable amount of ground clearance is fine in winter. Tires are what make or break winter safety, and all the Prius taxis did just fine with winter tires.

Having a 4X4 truck or SUV is a hell of a luxury in winter tho

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheeee posted:

Having grown up and lived in northern Canada for most of my adult life, any car with any reasonable amount of ground clearance is fine in winter. Tires are what make or break winter safety, and all the Prius taxis did just fine with winter tires.

Having a 4X4 truck or SUV is a hell of a luxury in winter tho

This reminds me of the weirdest thing about all of the crossovers: less ground clearance than sedans. Toyota's C-HR is a particularly bad example, reviews mention: "Indeed, the C-HR has 0.8 inch less ground clearance than a Corolla".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
they're not about being a SUV and going over obstacles, they're about a high seating position

getting lower to the ground improves fuel economy for one

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Carlos Ghosn, boss of Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi has been arrested in Japan for significant financial misconduct: http://www.autonews.com/article/20181119/COPY01/311199927

"Ghosn, 64, allegedly under-reported his income in official stock market filings. He diverted corporate investment funds for personal use. And he misused company expenses, Saikawa said. Ghosn was taken into custody earlier in the day after arriving at a Tokyo airport and charged with similar violations of Japan’s financial laws, local media reported."

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 19, 2018

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

My cx5 seems to sit pretty high, definitely higher than any sedan I've seen. So much so actually that the wheel well gap is kinda comically big.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Autoblog has first drive impressions and stats for the new Crosstrek (plug-in) Hybrid. 8.8kWh battery and hybrid system from the Prius Prime, with the 2.0l Boxer (presumably the FA20). 17 miles/27km of all-electric range, which is pretty piddly, but it's still full-time AWD with or without the engine running. 90 MPGe or 35 MPG with just the gas engine. Not huge numbers but still a cool offering, if it sells (which it won't, since you can only get it in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont). No mention of Canada in this article.

edit: link https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/19/subaru-crosstrek-hybrid-phev-review/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's also a $7800 option which is pretty...ehhhh.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BloodBag posted:

I just want a 5.0L GT with a manual in a nice blue with a black interior.

Yesss join usssss

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

stevobob posted:

Autoblog has first drive impressions and stats for the new Crosstrek (plug-in) Hybrid. 8.8kWh battery and hybrid system from the Prius Prime, with the 2.0l Boxer (presumably the FA20). 17 miles/27km of all-electric range, which is pretty piddly, but it's still full-time AWD with or without the engine running. 90 MPGe or 35 MPG with just the gas engine. Not huge numbers but still a cool offering, if it sells (which it won't, since you can only get it in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont). No mention of Canada in this article.

edit: link https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/19/subaru-crosstrek-hybrid-phev-review/

Have you been to New England? The Crosstrek is insanely popular. This won’t sell a ton overall but the NE and PNW is definitely the market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One note, you can special order it in the remaining 40 states. It's just those 10 that will have it in normal inventory

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I wonder how it will drive. The regular crosstrek and imp are slow as balls. This has 5hp less and weighs 500lbs more. But maybe it will have a broader torque curve with the hybrid. I feel like what people like about Subaru’s is their intersection of simplicity and unpretentiousness and functionality. At 7800 more than a regular crosstrek I think this starts to get away from the first two. I wonder how well it will sell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I read it was a second quicker to 60 due to the instant torque. Still not fast, but better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my mom is 100% buying one of these joints to replace her gas crosstrek

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I actually like the Crosstrek, would totally consider one if it had a better powertrain and also the Forrester didn't exist and I wanted a CUV.

Lot of conditionals there actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This is my bi-monthy statement of "FA20 turbo + 6 speed in Crosstrek and I would have bought one already."