Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

Only really UC Gundam. A lot of Gundam shows have gotten away from the OYW or OYW type conflict. G Gundam, G-Reco, all three seasons of Build Fighters, etc.

It's just if they're doing a show set in the Universal Century, people are gonna want to see Zakus

Basically every AU Gundam series draws huge amounts of influences and ideas from UC and the OYW. You have your really obvious ones, like Zechs going through three series of Char's story arc in one show, or the entire setting of Gundam X being built around something nearly identical to the OYW happening. You also have your less blatant ones, like G Gundam drawing heavily on some of UC's environmentalist overtones, or the relationship of McGillis and Gaelio in IBO being basically a reimagining of Char and Garma's relationship. Build Fighters itself has a unique story but the entire show is built on the bones of franchise love and wouldn't really exist without it.

It's not a bad thing but it's just a truism that every Gundam product at some point traces its lineage back to 1979 and the OYW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At the end of the day every show has to feature an Uncle Sam robot fighting a green cyclops.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Basically every AU Gundam series draws huge amounts of influences and ideas from UC and the OYW. You have your really obvious ones, like Zechs going through three series of Char's story arc in one show, or the entire setting of Gundam X being built around something nearly identical to the OYW happening. You also have your less blatant ones, like G Gundam drawing heavily on some of UC's environmentalist overtones, or the relationship of McGillis and Gaelio in IBO being basically a reimagining of Char and Garma's relationship. Build Fighters itself has a unique story but the entire show is built on the bones of franchise love and wouldn't really exist without it.

It's not a bad thing but it's just a truism that every Gundam product at some point traces its lineage back to 1979 and the OYW.

Gundam 00 has a Gundam that is quite blatantly the RX-78-02 with a GN Drive. It's also the first Gundam ever built in the series.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gundam 00 has a Gundam that is quite blatantly the RX-78-02 with a GN Drive. It's also the first Gundam ever built in the series.

And its pilot, who is the ultimate villain of the series, is voiced by Amuro Ray's voice actor. Just for that extra bit of fun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kanos posted:

But environmentalism and Char and Garma's relationship aren't part of the sci-fi reimagining of WW2. Which is Wark Say's original complaint, that too many shows in the UC are stuck in the One Year War

Wark Say posted:

I know it's futile, and it might read crazy, because I feel that UC-related media will always, in one way or another, either center around a conflict during or employ a framework similar to the One Year War because how the hell do you get away from something as massively popular and important to Gundam...?

... but at the same time, I really kinda wish that whichever Bandai producers get to veto Gundam-related stuff would just go "Okay, enough. No more OYW/stuff based on WWII for a while".

So yeah, all Gundam shows trace their lineage back to original Gundam, hell, plenty of non-Gundam mecha series can trace their lineage back to Gundam too. But the One Year War specifically is not inextricably linked to the franchise. As evidenced by the fact that a good number of Gundam shows don't have anything like the OYW in them.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Insanity option: an animated adaption of one of the SRW games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Insanity option: an animated adaption of one of the SRW games.

They did this. Three times, actually. An OVA, Divine Wars, and The Inspector.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Kanos posted:

They did this. Three times, actually. An OVA, Divine Wars, and The Inspector.

Ah well, I am dumb. Didn't realize that had already been done.

I mean my kokoro Gundam wish is a completely insane balls to the wall adaption of Frozen Teardrop but I'd also really like another UC set series like Victory.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbAzgn_fTiM

:black101: "There's nothing my sword cannot cut!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gripweed posted:

But environmentalism and Char and Garma's relationship aren't part of the sci-fi reimagining of WW2. Which is Wark Say's original complaint, that too many shows in the UC are stuck in the One Year War

So yeah, all Gundam shows trace their lineage back to original Gundam, hell, plenty of non-Gundam mecha series can trace their lineage back to Gundam too. But the One Year War specifically is not inextricably linked to the franchise. As evidenced by the fact that a good number of Gundam shows don't have anything like the OYW in them.

The desolation of Earth caused by the conflict and Char and Garma's relationship are kind of pivotal plot points in the OYW. Like there's a whole arc devoted to massive trains of human refugees where Amuro meets his mom and at one point the White Base has to stop off because they can't find a supply of salt, of all things.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 17, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kanos posted:

The desolation of Earth caused by the conflict and Char and Garma's relationship are kind of pivotal plot points in the OYW. Like there's a whole arc devoted to massive trains of human refugees where Amuro meets his mom and at one point the White Base has to stop off because they can't find a supply of salt, of all things.

Since the original MSG was about the One Year War, every thing in it is part of the One Year War. But if another show takes an event, a theme, a character, whatever, from MSG and then uses it in a different context, it's not still part of the One Year War.

Wark Say was complaining about the One Year War, specifically. That so many Gundam shows are either set in it or are more WWII in space. They specifically called out the the second season of Thunderbolt as a positive change because it's about a different and new political situation arising after the One Year War.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

maybe for the purposes of this discussion we should just say "the world war 2 allegory" rather than "the one year war"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wing seemed to inspire the idea the heroes should be on neither side. In the end the Wing Boys were fighting both the colonies and Earth. And then in SEED Kira and co. ended up fighting both the PLANTs and whatever they were called on Earth. And finally in 00 they just start off as their own side and continue fighting both sides all the way through.

That's a pretty big divergence from WW2 allegory.

Also did anybody post this? Some Gundam series is getting dubbed:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2018-11-17/gundam-nt-anime-gets-english-dub/.139648

quote:

Sunrise announced at its Gundam panel at Anime NYC on Saturday that it is working with NYAV Post to produce an English dub for the Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative (Kidō Senshi Gundam NT) anime project.

I've never heard of it.

Of course I still need to watch Iron Blooded Orphans and Thunderbolt....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Wing seemed to inspire the idea the heroes should be on neither side. In the end the Wing Boys were fighting both the colonies and Earth. And then in SEED Kira and co. ended up fighting both the PLANTs and whatever they were called on Earth. And finally in 00 they just start off as their own side and continue fighting both sides all the way through.

That's a pretty big divergence from WW2 allegory.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2018-11-17/gundam-nt-anime-gets-english-dub/.139648

I've never heard of it.

Build Divers is also apparently getting a dub. Hopefully not by the same group that did Try.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never heard of it.

It's an upcoming movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukp1iNI6M0Q

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Since the original MSG was about the One Year War, every thing in it is part of the One Year War. But if another show takes an event, a theme, a character, whatever, from MSG and then uses it in a different context, it's not still part of the One Year War.

Wark Say was complaining about the One Year War, specifically. That so many Gundam shows are either set in it or are more WWII in space. They specifically called out the the second season of Thunderbolt as a positive change because it's about a different and new political situation arising after the One Year War.

ninjewtsu posted:

maybe for the purposes of this discussion we should just say "the world war 2 allegory" rather than "the one year war"

The original post is ambiguous and refers to the One Year War and the World War II allegory with a slash between them.

Honestly even if you move the window from "OYW" to "WW2 In Space", it's rough to get away from it because WWII in space is an incredibly easy template for science fiction/fantasy stories. It's simply really easy to invest an audience in a space conflict when you present one side as the evil fascist or fascist-adjacent baddies and one side as the plucky good guys - it's why Star Wars did it. It's also much easier to write in a clear and coherent manner than a more nuanced product. Lots of people get bored or annoyed with stuff like Turn A or G-Reco that are telling less clear cut stories with multiple factional motivations where the lines between Good People and Bad People are muddier.

See Gundam 00, where S1 told a story where the perspective characters can be plausibly argued to be the antagonists, the various world governments were acting largely in self-defense, and the ending is a muddy mess where the world is united(for all the wrong reasons) and the perspective characters defeat their enemy but are effectively destroyed in the process. Flash forward to season 2 where we've got Good Guys Versus Unambiguous Evil Guys In Space.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The original post is ambiguous and refers to the One Year War and the World War II allegory with a slash between them.

Honestly even if you move the window from "OYW" to "WW2 In Space", it's rough to get away from it because WWII in space is an incredibly easy template for science fiction/fantasy stories. It's simply really easy to invest an audience in a space conflict when you present one side as the evil fascist or fascist-adjacent baddies and one side as the plucky good guys - it's why Star Wars did it. It's also much easier to write in a clear and coherent manner than a more nuanced product. Lots of people get bored or annoyed with stuff like Turn A or G-Reco that are telling less clear cut stories with multiple factional motivations where the lines between Good People and Bad People are muddier.

See Gundam 00, where S1 told a story where the perspective characters can be plausibly argued to be the antagonists, the various world governments were acting largely in self-defense, and the ending is a muddy mess where the world is united(for all the wrong reasons) and the perspective characters defeat their enemy but are effectively destroyed in the process. Flash forward to season 2 where we've got Good Guys Versus Unambiguous Evil Guys In Space.

And then, of course, there's IBO, which did WWII in space but, erm, from the other side.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Just got Gundam Dynasty Warriors 3 and am enjoying it. I'm not much of a gamer though so I can't tell if it's actually good but I do like how pretty much everyone who isn't in Scirocco's clique is a little weirded out by him.

I'm also at the party where Katejina joins up with your team (if you chose Garrod as your starting pilot) and her over the top anger is making me laugh. Which is bad because my pneumonia makes laughing hurt.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 18, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Just got Gundam Dynasty Warriors 3 and am enjoying it. I'm not much of a gamer though so I can't tell if it's actually good but I do like how pretty much everyone who isn't in Scirocco's clique is a little weirded out by him.

I'm also at the party where Katejina joins up with your team (if you chose Garrod as your starting pilot) and her over the top anger is making me laugh. Which is bad because my pneumonia makes laughing hurt.

It's fun, probably the best of the series. It was my first platinum trophy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 is an even better game in that formula

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Gundam Breaker 3 is an even better game in that formula

Gundam Breaker 3 is pretty much the definitive Gundam Musou/Dynasty Warriors game. The customization is fantastic and the core gameplay, while hardly the deepest thing in the world, is waaaaay better thought out and realized than any of the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games which tend to devolve into mashing the same combo on every single character in the entire game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, I should've been more specific: I was indeed referring to both the One Year War and the inspiration it takes from conflicts during and overall WWII. Like, I made peace with the fact that games based on WWII are never quite gonna go away but I do feel that some Gundam shows/manga/novels do take inspiration from WWII but don't use the OYW framework. I've got no problem with those. IBO, despite making a direct reference and even an ending that distinctly references one of WWII's many outcomes, it feels distinctly less "WOOOOOO! Badass! :black101:" and more "Holy poo poo, we just got through that. :stare:"

Again, I could've probably written a far better post to begin with. M'bad. :sweatdrop:

I did enjoy reading the (far better structured) responses that I got as a result, though! You keep rocking that poo poo hard, goons. :)

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I am genuinely really enjoying Gundam Dynasty Warrios 3 and now I am definitely going to save up for a Playstation so I can play Gundam Breaker 3 per thread suggestion and actually play SRW games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXqd4wTXEuE

The Haddock Banker continues his supercut of G Gundam's superb dub.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I am genuinely really enjoying Gundam Dynasty Warrios 3 and now I am definitely going to save up for a Playstation so I can play Gundam Breaker 3 per thread suggestion and actually play SRW games.

Good timing considering the next SRW game just got announced

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Good timing considering the next SRW game just got announced

I just saw that and even it's garbage I'll play it because it has Magic Knights Rayearth in it. Like Cowboy Bebop is also cool but Rayearth holds a special place in my 12 year old girl heart.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The bizarre thing is that based on the settings Rayearth is showing up one game late.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

http://gundam-nt.net/news/

Much like with the last Origin episode, the first 23 minutes of Narrative will be released online (as well as shown on TV) then you'll have to make do with CAMs until Sunrise remembers that the world outside Japan exists and might want to see it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RillAkBea posted:

http://gundam-nt.net/news/

Much like with the last Origin episode, the first 23 minutes of Narrative will be released online (as well as shown on TV) then you'll have to make do with CAMs until Sunrise remembers that the world outside Japan exists and might want to see it.
Do Gunplas just not sell all that well outside Japan?

I admit that I am somewhat ignorant in just how well Gundam plastic models fare overall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wark Say posted:

Do Gunplas just not sell all that well outside Japan?

I admit that I am somewhat ignorant in just how well Gundam plastic models fare overall.

iirc they do fairly well, but for a long time Bandai didn't LIKE that Gunpla did well outside Japan for some reason. That's definitely been changing in recent years though, especially with the purchase of Bluefin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not going to be that bad. The Origin films have had their English dubs up for paid viewing in a quick manner fairly consistently, and Narrative has already had an English dub confirmed.

It's not going to be another twilight axis cluster gently caress.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not going to be that bad. The Origin films have had their English dubs up for paid viewing in a quick manner fairly consistently, and Narrative has already had an English dub confirmed.

It's not going to be another twilight axis cluster gently caress.

I got the distinct impression that whoever was responsible at Bandai actively resented the idea of adapting Twilight Axis. That project got half-assed in every conceivable way.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc they do fairly well, but for a long time Bandai didn't LIKE that Gunpla did well outside Japan for some reason. That's definitely been changing in recent years though, especially with the purchase of Bluefin.

What do you mean by "didn't like"?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

What do you mean by "didn't like"?

I don't claim to know anything about the gunpla issue, but there's been times when Japanese companies have been uncomfortable with the idea of putting resources behind pushing their products in the west.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't claim to know anything about the gunpla issue, but there's been times when Japanese companies have been uncomfortable with the idea of putting resources behind pushing their products in the west.

IIRC, the weird way Japanese exports works means that they can't sell for as high a price to foreign markets, so they make a significant net loss because Japanese customers buy the cheaper export versions instead.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, the weird way Japanese exports works means that they can't sell for as high a price to foreign markets, so they make a significant net loss because Japanese customers buy the cheaper export versions instead.

Uh, that's certainly special.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

This would make sense. Domestic Japanese goods like bluray sets and stuff are LUDICROUSLY expensive by western standards, so for a product like gunpla that doesn't really have a language barrier attached it might indeed be cheaper to import.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Japanese weird pricing is mostly limited it to it's anime, at least with respect to Gundam. Gunpla is actually reasonably priced in Japan in comparison to other toys/models of the same range.

I think Bandai was afraid of expanding more aggressively in the states as they tried that in the early 2000's but completely over saturated the market. They'll likely take their time in expanding the market. Their are signs that they are thinking about it though. Now all newer kits have english instructions with them and from what I remember reading they made a good amount of money from the states in IBO model sales.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Monaghan posted:

Japanese weird pricing is mostly limited it to it's anime, at least with respect to Gundam. Gunpla is actually reasonably priced in Japan in comparison to other toys/models of the same range.

I think Bandai was afraid of expanding more aggressively in the states as they tried that in the early 2000's but completely over saturated the market. They'll likely take their time in expanding the market. Their are signs that they are thinking about it though. Now all newer kits have english instructions with them and from what I remember reading they made a good amount of money from the states in IBO model sales.

There's also the issue of where do they expand? Their partnership with Rightstuf is working at a pretty good clip towards getting all Gundam series on bluray in America. And there's a ton of Gundam available on the Gundamofficial Youtube channel. It seems like most comic shops sell Gundam models, and Barnes and Noble carries Gundam models at most of their locations. I'd certainly like to see Barnes and Noble carry a wider range of Gundam models, but I assume that mainly up to Barnes and Noble, not Bandai.

The real criticism I have is how few Gundam manga series get US releases. Since Tokyopop collapsed there's only been three Gundam manga released here. But I think maybe the blame for that lies at least a little on me, I didn't buy the Origin manga because they were thirty dollars a volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Set up an official import/webshop for the EU market and it would sell gangbusters. We probably have the least access to Gunpla here that isn't imported (or hilariously overpriced resellers.