Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Pick some big name stocks you recognize and then look at the 1 year, 5 year and max charts its really fun. Cheat and look at one getting gutted like GE. Look at ford, stocks people have said forever to just park your money in. We're in the pile of poo poo now.

Howard Stern this week was talking about how growing up whenever his dad had any extra money he would just purchase shares in Disney, and eventually he made a great deal of money simply from that. It's amazing how much a fantasy the economy the 1970s was in comparison to today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rand alPaul posted:

It's amazing how much a fantasy the economy the 1XX0s was in comparison to today.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a recession no escape from the economy.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Ignore the dolts
Look up to Rick Wolff and seeeeeeee
He's an econ grad, he needs no sympathy

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Squalid posted:

On the other hand Diocletian could have really used the help of a modern economist to explain why the value of his currency kept plummeting and why everybody ignored his edict on prices.

And the Spanish could have done with a few hints as to why bringing huge amounts of gold from the new world somehow made them all poorer. Plus a few dozen other examples from history.

People go too heavy on the "economics is bullshit cheerleading" argument. Economics as it is taught in American universities is bullshit cheerleading for U.S. companies and U.S. foreign policy for the sake of servicing the interests of U.S. capital. There's plenty of use for economics outside the narrow window neoliberal ideology allows, and telling yourself it's all bullshit is only half the story.

Nevertheless, I am sure this will somehow be twisted into me being a supporter of Henry Kissinger or some bullshit. Can't loving wait for the hot takes, I tell you.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Often Abbreviated posted:

telling yourself it's all bullshit is only half the story.

A fair point, but that's still 5000% more of the story than the high priests of FIRE acknowledge.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbS0Djfms1U

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Often Abbreviated posted:

And the Spanish could have done with a few hints as to why bringing huge amounts of gold from the new world somehow made them all poorer. Plus a few dozen other examples from history.

People go too heavy on the "economics is bullshit cheerleading" argument. Economics as it is taught in American universities is bullshit cheerleading for U.S. companies and U.S. foreign policy for the sake of servicing the interests of U.S. capital. There's plenty of use for economics outside the narrow window neoliberal ideology allows, and telling yourself it's all bullshit is only half the story.

Nevertheless, I am sure this will somehow be twisted into me being a supporter of Henry Kissinger or some bullshit. Can't loving wait for the hot takes, I tell you.
i think the distinction here is that there are different schools of economics

some schools of economics try to look at the world in good faith and try to come up with theories that explain why the world is the way it is, how it could work, and how you could make predictions

the neoclassical school has a conclusion and works backwards from there to justify the conclusion

when people say economics is bullshit I think they mostly mean the neoclassical models that are predominant today

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

comedyblissoption posted:

when people say economics is bullshit I think they mostly mean the neoclassical models that are predominant today
This has the bonus effect of American neoclassical models coming to represent all of economics, in the same way that Israel = all Jews everywhere in the world, therefore if you're anti-apartheid you're an anti-Semite.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

I want the massive and devastating collapse to happen quickly and soon so we can just be done with it already, but it is my understanding they have it set up so the stock market closes automatically if a certain percentage is lost in one day, right? But that this doesn't stop the economy from sliding downwards day after day, correct? So there won't be a Black Monday or whatever and instead things will just slowly ooze toward a pile of poo poo and nobody will have an instance we can point to and say "This is where it went wrong" and everybody will keep popping happy pills and pretending things are fine, yes?

2008 misled a lot of people I think, what usually happens is the stock market collapses during/after the economy is already struggling, not that the economy implodes as a result of/after the stock market does

so you want to watch for real-world indicators to trigger -- such as a cascading default on various debt bubbles, trade wars jacking prices through the roof, Brexit, etc., not necessarily the stock market plunging

2008 happened the way it did because debt derivatives kept getting repackaged and sold to different banks until it was tangled up in a giant mess at the heart of finance itself and when the piper came to collect it was the unraveling thread that undid the entire sweater

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

some schools of economics try to look at the world in good faith and try to come up with theories that explain why the world is the way it is, how it could work, and how you could make predictions

the neoclassical school has a conclusion and works backwards from there to justify the conclusion

neoclassical economics fucks up even basic economics like supply and demand. like the first few weeks of any econ course in America are wasted on reading unscientific supply and demand curves instead of investigating the nature of money, production, ownership, and labor. neoclassical econ skips over all the base level stuff because it can't make a good faith explanation for it that isn't marxian. taking econ in high school, I felt like we started the story like a third of the way in and that the crucial bits were all missing

marx's take is so powerful the best people could come up with is to propose a ludicrous homo economicus that flies in the face of everything we know about history, psychology, and sociology, hide behind fancy math, say that his economics will lead to bad politics, or misconstrue the ltv

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 18, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pretty much although the other schools do not get much in the way of academic support right now

it sort of reminds me of how organismal level biology was super out of vogue for a while in lieu of microbiology only. and now i guess population level stuff is getting popular again or whatever but at the level of the organism still under-studied which is lol because you'd think like "the whole animal" would be something yud give a poo poo about if you studied them (animals)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

like the first few weeks of any econ course in America are wasted on reading unscientific supply and demand curves

curves :lol:

my intro to economics spent the first weeks on y=mx+b

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

hobbesmaster posted:

Sweet loving Christ. O.O What year was this?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in engineering school you could skip the requirement of taking a handful of grad-level advanced courses if you took a bunch of business courses instead

a friend of mine said that in the finance class the professor acknowledged that it would be too unreasonable to expect people to remember all the formulas and thats why there was a table of the formulas of how to compute the roots of every kind of polynomial

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Sweet loving Christ. O.O What year was this?

2005. can’t scare off the business students I guess

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I love how J.C. Penney's stock price crashed to $1.04 after announcing another lovely quarter, then through FREE MARKET MAGIC somehow shot up to $1.42 and ended positive for the day.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

I love how J.C. Penney's stock price crashed to $1.04 after announcing another lovely quarter, then through FREE MARKET MAGIC somehow shot up to $1.42 and ended positive for the day.

thats called fundamentals

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

which, by the way, are strong

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

the fundamentals are real, and strong, and my friend

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Corporations are people, my friend, and the answer is that JC Penney has been getting jacked down at the gym is now swole.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They did the exact same thing in Canada when they went out of business.

They said they HAD to pay the executives $20m to retain talent to turn the company around even though the pensions were criminally underfunded, then a month later said they were liquidating everything and shutting down.

They said they would take back some of the bonuses from each executive for an emergency fund for all the employees who suddenly lost their severances, but then made it voluntary and none of the execs gave anything back. https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sears-canada-employee-hardship-fund-1.4321361

Then they kept paying the executives a bunch more money this year to fight the employees fighting for some sort of severance. https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/sears-board-members-gain-600k-as-former-employees-fight-for-severance-pay-1.4038987

In conclusion, Guillotine now. Heads on pikes. They're going to keep racking up millions while ex-employees starve.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/business/status/1063931818641100811

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

if corporations are people they should be guillotined too

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
'Farmers harvest fields. Aristocrats harvest the public.'

I want a snappy talking point along those lines

edit: That is the culture, that line just doesn't sound right

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Poniard posted:

if corporations are people they should be guillotined too

Should be a big Mesoamerican ballgame with everyone getting executed with Monokuma providing commentary during the festivities.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
E: wrong thred

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

they call it JC Penny because the stock price is only worth pennies

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

jc on my peeny and some stocks-a on my balls

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

loving lol

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

Jesus Christ :psyduck:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

hobbesmaster posted:

why? that's... that's the linear equation for a straight line... what can you model in economics with that? that's... linear regression isn't for that.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

thinking bout thos widgets

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KiteAuraan posted:

why? that's... that's the linear equation for a straight line... what can you model in economics with that? that's... linear regression isn't for that.

american university economics departments, in a bid to make things easier for business majors who form the bulk of students enrolled in the classes, have been known to excise any math higher than secondary school algebra

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cinnamon Bear posted:

american university economics departments, in a bid to make things easier for business majors who form the bulk of students enrolled in the classes, have been known to excise any math higher than secondary school algebra

The capstone for business majors should be :thermidor:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I made money during my undergrad years by tutoring business majors in basic math and economics. But within a few weeks of doing it I realized it was easier and more lucrative to just write the papers for them then teach them anything.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ughhhh posted:

I made money during my undergrad years by tutoring business majors in basic math and economics. But within a few weeks of doing it I realized it was easier and more lucrative to just write the papers for them then teach them anything.

So you're the one that caused the great recession.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I now have a masters and am broke and they make more money than I could ever dream of. So I guess they were better off?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

ughhhh posted:

I had to have a very in-depth conversation with my boss to explain that by multiplying 91% by 109% you don’t get back to 100%.

It was a low moment for everyone involved.

edit: clarification.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
the joke is that a lot of top schools are horrific at actually teaching and are basically there for either research while students are taught by legions of underpaid grad students, or for rubber stamping nepotism by saying "see, he's qualified" and sustaining existing power structures.

it's not restricted to the US though. I left the US and did graduate school and research in the UK, and there you end up with a lot of wealthy expats or children of corrupt officials from around the world, who offer more than your teaching stipend to ensure they get top marks