Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was literally a meme, a very funny one admittedly. Ryan Reynolds is pretty much the funniest and best option they could go for. (and has experience with CGI characters!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ryan Reynolds is just a nice topper on this magical Pokemon nostalgia cake.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Moon Atari posted:

Prior to seeing the trailer I would have said that Dumbo could have more chance of being good than any of the other remakes. Since the original is less tightly constructed than most of them shoehorning an artsyle and thematic content at odds with the story and feel of the beloved original would be less egregiously bad. But I guess not.

The article complains about the look but if you’re doing live action you kinda have to do realistic textures with wrinkles and veins. Characters with fur survive the transition with more cuteness intact but an elephant is always gonna look less appealing

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was literally a meme, a very funny one admittedly. Ryan Reynolds is pretty much the funniest and best option they could go for. (and has experience with CGI characters!)

as much as I like Devito, Ryan Reynolds is 100% the right choice.

Man, Pickachu and Deadpool, what beloved nerd icon will he voice next?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, Pickachu and Deadpool, what beloved nerd icon will he voice next?

Presumably Ryan Reynolds.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Phylodox posted:

Presumably Ryan Reynolds.

Ryan Reynolds is Ryan Reynolds in The Ryan Reynolds movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ryan Reynolds in a biopic as, say, Errol Flynn or Clark Gable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Remake of Rocketeer, with him in the Errol Flynn Neville Sinclair role.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Ryan Reynolds as the green lantern being worn by deadpool from origins wolverine

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Ryan Reynolds as the green lantern being worn by deadpool from origins wolverine

I think you'll find that Deadpool canonically killed that Deadpool and also Ryan Reynolds.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I think you'll find that Deadpool canonically killed that Deadpool and also Ryan Reynolds.

Nolan North gettin' his hopes up right about now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

favourite part of DP2 is how many fun and creative ways they found to kill Ryan Reynolds, both as DP and as himself

also why does Ryan Reynolds wanna have a stranglehold on characters with the DP acronym?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ishikabibble posted:

Danny DeVito is a lovable pop culture icon and the first twitter person who proposed him being the VA for Detective Pikachu just said it for the hilarious contrast something like that actually would have, and not actually because he's the perfect VA for the role. Everyone who complained about it later is just latching onto the meme.

tbh according to a few friends who played the game, he's specifically not a great VA for the role because his voice wouldn't fit what the character is actually supposed to be in very plot spoiler-y but probably obvious reasons. he's explicitly not a grizzled seasoned detective or anyone who'd reasonably have a voice like DeVito.

I played the game and he seemed pretty grizzled to me. Ryan Reynolds is too jokey. Pikachu needs a serious voice to contrast with his adorable appearance.

But it's done, so whatever.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I think Alec Baldwin as Detective Pikachu would have worked had Boss Baby not ever existed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Werner Herzog as Detective Pikachu.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

Werner Herzog as Detective Pikachu.

:perfect:

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

favourite part of DP2 is how many fun and creative ways they found to kill Ryan Reynolds, both as DP and as himself

also why does Ryan Reynolds wanna have a stranglehold on characters with the DP acronym?

Danny Phantom reboot starting Ryan Reynolds confirmed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bert of the Forest posted:

That sure was a show that seemed huge at the time then was forgotten, as far as children's cartoons go anyway.

It seems like the kind of idea that'd be a lot more interesting in a remake allowed to have more continuity and nuance, and a cameo from the Real Ghostbusters. (It's so easy to imagine Danny's parents being hysterical fans of the original Ghostbusters)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Get out of my dreams

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

well gently caress, now that you've said it's stuck in my head

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Ccs posted:

The article complains about the look but if you’re doing live action you kinda have to do realistic textures with wrinkles and veins. Characters with fur survive the transition with more cuteness intact but an elephant is always gonna look less appealing

so don't do it at all

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I was just suddenly reminded that Rise of the Guardians was a movie that happened and I was curious what people thought of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I was just suddenly reminded that Rise of the Guardians was a movie that happened and I was curious what people thought of it.

I never saw it but I remember a lot of fucky Tumblr pics of Jack Frost at the time.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah as far as I can tell it was super popular with people who draw pictures of fictional characters making out

Source: a cursory, private-tabbed google image search

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sure was a show that seemed huge at the time then was forgotten, as far as children's cartoons go anyway.

It seems like the kind of idea that'd be a lot more interesting in a remake allowed to have more continuity and nuance, and a cameo from the Real Ghostbusters. (It's so easy to imagine Danny's parents being hysterical fans of the original Ghostbusters)

Butch Hartmann keeps teasing a return, but I dread it as he's gone full on rabid evangelical since leaving Nick, including trying to launch a children's channel whose goal is to stealth-convert kids to his particular brand of Christianity (which is full on rightwing and 'the US needs to be a theocracy so Jesus can rapture us').

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It was a very pretty movie with very little substance that jumped from set piece to set piece and never took time to slow down for emotional development because I guess they were gonna do that in the sequel.

The Jack drowning scene was good. But as someone who didn't read the book, the whole moon thing was random as hell.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Robindaybird posted:

Butch Hartmann keeps teasing a return, but I dread it as he's gone full on rabid evangelical since leaving Nick, including trying to launch a children's channel whose goal is to stealth-convert kids to his particular brand of Christianity (which is full on rightwing and 'the US needs to be a theocracy so Jesus can rapture us').

I'd heard he was a Roman Catholic. Am I confusing him with somebody else?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So, Smallfoot. I was gonna do a whole effort post but I'm too tired all the time so instead:

Cool things I liked: The Yeti society of the film, while initially presented as a parallel to a broadly typecast conservative majority, is revealed to actually be more like the Nation of Islam, as a fundamentally reactionary community whose ideology is itself an organic response to historical oppression. And while the film is explicit in how this model of separatism ultimately only replicates dominant ideology and turns it oppressively inward, its conclusion is bizarrely similar to something like Barack Obama's initial, not so much defense, but his refusal to "disown" Jeremiah Wright. The point being that while it's convenient to write off these insular groups as merely "wackos" or "reverse racists" or whatever, their incendiary rhetoric has to be reckoned with as a conceivably rational response to broader systemic problems; and therefore should also not be "disowned," but actually further radicalized as the basis for building a broader coalition of the aggrieved, represented rather overtly in the film by having the smallfoot allies of the Yeti literally crossing a police line to use themselves as human shields. In a way, one can think of Smallfoot as a better version of Black Panther.

Not so cool things I didn't like: Every song in this movie was gratingly mediocre and intruded on the narrative with all the delicacy of an Amtrak train going off the rails. Also, it suffers from the inherently cynical precondition of most modern American animated films: they must all be hyperactive, self-aware, broad comedies. They must all begin with the protagonist literally explaining the setting. The overarching comedic framework overpowers and renders insincere any attempt at drama or tragedy.

The high point of the movie is like this climactic 5 minutes where it turns into a kaiju movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd heard he was a Roman Catholic. Am I confusing him with somebody else?

Obama and then Francis getting made Pope made a lot of American Catholics go totally bonkers, to the point where most American dioceses have a pretty strained relationship with the Vatican as of 2018.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

So, Smallfoot. I was gonna do a whole effort post but I'm too tired all the time so instead:

. In a way, one can think of Smallfoot as a better version of Black Panther.

ill take it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

It was a very pretty movie with very little substance that jumped from set piece to set piece and never took time to slow down for emotional development because I guess they were gonna do that in the sequel.

The Jack drowning scene was good. But as someone who didn't read the book, the whole moon thing was random as hell.

Yeah, my argument would be that it's gorgeous but incoherent.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

K. Waste posted:

. Also, it suffers from the inherently cynical precondition of most modern American animated films: they must all be hyperactive, self-aware, broad comedies. They must all begin with the protagonist literally explaining the setting. The overarching comedic framework overpowers and renders insincere any attempt at drama or tragedy.

The high point of the movie is like this climactic 5 minutes where it turns into a kaiju movie.

I watched Storks last night, the previous non-Lego film by WAG, and it is uncannily similar, though more prone to whiplashing wildly between comedy and attempted sincerity.

Given that the Lego Movie and Lego Batman mostly operate on the same basis I'm left to assume this is a deliberate style choice

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

While I go gather 'Hartmann is loving cray cray' resources, here's something fun:

The long thought lost film of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit ("Neck 'n' Neck") has resurfaced in Japan: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/15/disneys-lost-oswald-lucky-rabbit-movie-surfaces-japan/

EDIT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/butch-hartman-fairly-oddparents-danny-phantom-creator-scams-fans-goes-insane.57432/ I forgot about him blaming Tara Strong for another voice actor's suicide.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 19, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/HypraSeaPea/sta...111536411426816

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wonder what is it about the old school Nick that turns out assholes with John K and Hartman.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robindaybird posted:

Wonder what is it about the old school Nick that turns out assholes with John K and Hartman.

And the new school, with Savino and Schneider. :psyduck: It's kind of bizarre that Jhonen Vasquez, of all people, is probably the least offensive person to make a major show under their employment.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0rGg32k9LI

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Catscratch had TenNapel who is currently writing for Breitbart (a far-right "News" site that barely covered up their Swastikas for the non-Americans), which was a shock given I did like Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood.

Heard the Hey Arnold guy's a good egg so not all is lost.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jhonen Vasquez was pretty cool when I met him for 30 seconds. Literally the most nervous I’ve ever been to meet a creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When is that Zim movie coming out anyway?